What mouse dpi/sensitivty do you use?

Australia Patrick20872
Skirmisher
ESO: Patrick20872

What mouse dpi/sensitivty do you use?

Post by Patrick20872 »

Really interested to know what sensitivty you guys use for AoE3.

Remember you have to state the dpi AND the windows "pointer speed" notch (mouse settings > additional mouse options > pointer options tab).

For me I use 900 dpi on the 6th (middle) notch.
Germany Lenari
Musketeer
ESO: Lenari

Re: What mouse dpi/sensitivty do you use?

Post by Lenari »

800 on standard windows 10 Settings
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Pointer notch is neutral (enhanced precision disabled).
2600dpi @ 1920x1080
Image Image Image
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

3200 dpi normal notch at 1080p

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Normal notch 1600, 1080p.
1800, 1440p when at other location.
Lenari wrote:800 on standard windows 10 Settings
Enhanced precision on? Disguisting.......
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Garja wrote:Pointer notch is neutral (enhanced precision disabled).
2600dpi @ 1920x1080
Ouch, gl with your Carpal tunnel man.

6/11, 400 DPI, no mouse accel, neither in Windows nor sensorwise, 1080P resolution.
No matter what game, RTS, FPS, RPG, etc. I just let it at 400. Using your shoulder/wrist constantly for moving is much healthier than mini-movements with your hand only.
If you use a low sensitivity, be sure to buy a large mousepad.
harcha wrote:Enhanced precision on? Disguisting.......
Enhanced pointer precision is worse than the plague :smile:
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I use a Logitech g600 and that's all that matters
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

aaryngend wrote:
2600dpi @ 1920x1080

6/11, 400 DPI, no mouse accel, neither in Windows nor sensorwise, 1080P resolution.
No matter what game, RTS, FPS, RPG, etc. I just let it at 400. Using your shoulder/wrist constantly for moving is much healthier than mini-movements with your hand only.
You should use High DPI lower in game sens, it's more accurate.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

4000 DPI on a 2560x1440 screen of 32 inch.

:salt:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

aaryngend wrote:
2600dpi @ 1920x1080

I've been gaming for roughly 10 years never had any wrist issue.
Carpal tunnel has more to do on how you grip the mouse. You say 400 dpi with bigh arm movements, I imagine you play on a rather big mouse using palm grip. Palm grip feels really painful to me.
Image Image Image
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Garja wrote:I've been gaming for roughly 10 years never had any wrist issue.
Carpal tunnel has more to do on how you grip the mouse. You say 400 dpi with bigh arm movements, I imagine you play on a rather big mouse using palm grip. Palm grip feels really painful to me.
How you grip the mouse and how you move it/your body. My mouse size is average, I could go Palm or Claw grip, no matter what I choose, 400 DPI seems plenty fast to me, up to 800 is what I could use comfortably, anything higher and I feel like it's too fast.

I was the same when it came to high sense, been gaming from 2004 to 2008 with high DPI, never felt it was any wrong, had like 1800 on 1400x900 resolution, even had slight acceleration on :P
Back then, it was almost impossible to disable accel completely because every mouse had in-built accel.
Once I switched, I noticed how much better I feel while moving the mouse.
Riotcoke wrote:You should use High DPI lower in game sens, it's more accurate.
What would be the point of that? With higher DPI, the pointer would be too fast in Windows. High DPI isn't necessary for a mouse to work well, a decent mouse sensor works flawlessly on any kind of DPI, especially the normal ones (400 to 4000). If I want a higher mousepeed, I just adjust the eDPI. That is taking the ingame mouse speed (like in CS:GO, it's 2.2) and multiplay it with my DPI. So I use 880 eDPI in CS:GO, like most pros. In any game, it's mostly set to the standard value as that feels already perfect to me, maybe add or remove 0,1-0,3 value here and there and ofc make sure to disable accel in-game (if it has any) and use RAW Input.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Because the polling is higher because the Mouse gives more commands/sec

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

In FPS you want low DPI to be chirurgic with your clicks, in RTS you want high DPI to put several relatively precise clicks in sequence.
Image Image Image
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Riotcoke wrote:Because the polling is higher because the Mouse gives more commands/sec
Eh, that's wrong. The Polling rate of gaming mice is always set to 1000Hz, no matter what DPI you use. Some ppl use 500Hz too, but I wouldn't recommend it. Realistically and physically, it jumps between 997-1001Hz, but that is just numbercrunching.
DPI has nothing to do with polling rate. My mouse set to 400DPI is polling as much as if I set it to 4000. It just moves slower, because a lower DPI lets the mouse cursor move less for the same covered distance.
Garja wrote:In FPS you want low DPI to be chirurgic with your clicks, in RTS you want high DPI to put several relatively precise clicks in sequence.
Yes, correct, but even in RTS, there are low sens players (400-800 DPI). Like I said, if ppl like 800 DPI or roughly up to 1200, I can understand that. Like... using 800 DPI for RTS and using 800 for FPS too, but lowering in-game sens so it roughly translates to 400 DPI with higher in-game sens.. Or 800 DPI with standard in-game sens for No-scope 360° COD fast movement games, where you turn around all the time :flowers: .
I just don't get how some ppl can go well over 2000. That is just insanely fast. You need to move your mouse for like not even a cm to fly across the screen with your mouse pointer :huh:
These micro movements, ppl having to strain their hand muscles to move precisely with insane high DPI and wrong posture cause carpal-tunnel-syndrome.
For me, it just so happened that I got used to 400 that I can use it in any scenario, maybe up the in-game sens a bit in very few games to offset my low DPI.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor

Post by Riotcoke »

Just watch that please. 400 dpi is honestly just a complete meme at this point that people copy because it's what good players use.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I play with 800 but I used to play with 400.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I think 400-800 in RTS is mostly an heritage of when mice didnt have custom dpi. You see old korean pros with that dpi.
2000 is not high at all, you can't even scroll from side to side of the screen without lifting your wrist. RTS is mostly using your fingers to move the mouse really.
Image Image Image
European Union aaryngend
Howdah

Post by aaryngend »

Riotcoke wrote:

Just watch that please. 400 dpi is honestly just a complete meme at this point that people copy because it's what good players use.
It's all about eDPI dude, idc if someone uses 4000 DPI with 0.1 or 0.2 in-game sense or 400 DPI with 2.0 sens. In the end, it's the same if there are no limitations on the sensor. The dude in the video says the same as me. Tiny amounts of Pixel skipping doesn't factor in rl scenarios anyway. What you do is using high DPI with standard in-game sensitivity, which results in an extreme eDPI. Aoe3 has no mouse pointer speed, so you use the same as in Windows you can't do what the guy in the video did.
You kind of owned yourself with that video, as you just further proved my point ^_^
Good players do that for a reason, you will never see them using anything else than 400-1400 eDPI, especially in FullHD.
It's just that people sadly got used to super-high sensitivities. As you can see, diarouga, Lenari and the thread starter play with lower sensitivity too. It gained a lot of traction in recent years.
Garja wrote:I think 400-800 in RTS is mostly an heritage of when mice didnt have custom dpi. You see old korean pros with that dpi.
2000 is not high at all, you can't even scroll from side to side of the screen without lifting your wrist. RTS is mostly using your fingers to move the mouse really.
Go troll somewhere else plz?! Even when I set my mouse to 1600 DPI, I can scroll from one side of the screen to the other with a 3cm linear movement. 2000 DPI is even more, can easily see 2,x cm being enough. You can't move your mouse 2-2,5cm without lifting it up? :P
I'd love to see you in a video doing that, with the correct settings :export:
RTS is mostly using your fingers to move the mouse really.
You also use the minimap to click on places, whith is mostly located on the bottom left of the screen, or sometimes you pan the camera a little left or right, up or down with the mouse scroll (putting the cursor on any edge of the screen). I can see enough scenarios where you need to move the mouse over the screen here and there, even with hotkeys, control groups and camera locations.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

I mean you can't move from top to bottom edge that easily with just fingers even at 2600 DPI. And since RTS best grip is fingertip you sort of need that high DPI.
Surely you can play with sub 1000 DPI but your mouse is scrolling all over the place which is just sub-optimal to a higher DPI which is still comfortable for muscle memory.
Image Image Image
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

800 DPI 6/11 in AoE3 and CS:GO (0.85 sens ingame).
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

1550 DPI, 6/11, enhanced pointer precision off.

Used to use 2500 DPI with like 8/11 or something and enhanced pointer precision on.

I think H2O uses the same as me but 1600 DPI.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

I forgot that that enhance pointer precision was supposed to be turned off (I remember H2O saying that like 4 years ago) and mine is enabled. Can't be assed to adjust to it disabled, although I imagine it gives credence to improved muscle memory after time off and overall optimized precision/speed, because a non-linear DPI adjustment just sounds like it requires constant play to be familiar and precise with.

2k DPI, 6/11, enhance pointer precision enabled
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I have enchanced pointer precision off because h20 forced me to when he was playing on my pc years ago.
I set the middle windows mouse speed because I read something that said its more accurate that way, and set my razer at 2100-2200 depending on how I feel.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

1600 dpi
:nwc: