47%
Garja
28%

Total votes: 74

United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Re: Stop bronze matches

Post by bittersalt123 »

If you have a problem playing the bronze match because you think you're the best then you have a massive ego problem. Nobody will think less of you because you got to the bronze spot I mean if you're one of those players you've done quite well many times.
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I think it's more about not being motivated to play once you know you've lost the event. Not about ego
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

Kaiserklein wrote:I think it's more about not being motivated to play once you know you've lost the event. Not about ego
Ye but I think even you understand that you're not going to win every single tournament there is out there for AOE3. Sometimes you'll come in second or third.

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I mean why would you want to play if you cant win?
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

bittersalt123 wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I think it's more about not being motivated to play once you know you've lost the event. Not about ego
Ye but I think even you understand that you're not going to win every single tournament there is out there for AOE3. Sometimes you'll come in second or third.
Of course, but I can still understand that after the loss, you're less motivated. Not that I approve of it though.
gibson wrote:I mean why would you want to play if you cant win?
Can't win what? The whole event, yeah. You can win the 3rd place and some money.

Anyway it's also for fun, I mean if people only played to win the whole event, we'd have a RO8 tourney every time lol. It's sad if 2 top players can't even find the motivation to play a casted high level series and get some extra money...
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

I guess that makes sense. It depends on a lot of stuff if people become motivated or less motivated. The factors that determine this are obvious or not. One example would be the twitch chat or people bringing down a player because they happened to lose against a worse player... god forbid

Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I mean that’s the reason why I don’t play in tourneys. The purpose of a tournament is to find the best player based on a particular rule set, so if you know ahead of time that you aren’t the best player why participate? I know some people just enjoy playing in them, but that’s my reasoning for not playing.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

gibson wrote:I mean that’s the reason why I don’t play in tourneys. The purpose of a tournament is to find the best player based on a particular rule set, so if you know ahead of time that you aren’t the best player why participate? I know some people just enjoy playing in them, but that’s my reasoning for not playing.
you might enjoy the upcoming seasonal major
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Cometk wrote:
gibson wrote:I mean that’s the reason why I don’t play in tourneys. The purpose of a tournament is to find the best player based on a particular rule set, so if you know ahead of time that you aren’t the best player why participate? I know some people just enjoy playing in them, but that’s my reasoning for not playing.
you might enjoy the upcoming seasonal major
So no one higher than pr 32 is gonna join?
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Others have stated the utility behind keeping bronze matches, which is why I support keeping them. But beyond the fact that they help ESOC, I agree that they don't feel right. It's not very considerate to lure in competitors with the top prize, and then force them to fight seriously for a smaller, less prestigious prize. I also feel like it ruins the tournament climax that the grand finals brings. It's like seeing Christmas decorations on December 26th... the magic just ain't there anymore.

I would support rebranding bronze matches. Don't just call it a "showmatch;" make it have a cool sounding title. But make it an event where two high-level players get the privilege of competing. And if someone doesn't want to compete then just grab the next best person off the bracket.

Another option might be to make the bronze match more of a charity thing; i.e., donate a portion of donations to a charity. It would soothe bruised egos, and make it less frustrating to lose.
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

I voted for Garja but any high level match is nice to watch for me. If one of the players doesnt want to play, get the one after him or something.
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

I think it comes down to 2 things. Motivation to play the game at all and no real distinction between 3rd and 4th place prize money most of the time. I can only speak for myself, but I resigned because I afaik there was only like 40 dollars to gain (if I won, which wouldn't have happened anyways), while I'm not even enjoying aoe3 at the moment. So it was just a burden for me hence then forfeit. If there had been more money on the line, even for a loss I would have probably forced myself to play.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
United States of America demon_
Crossbow
ESO: KoM_Inuyasha

Post by demon_ »

Bronze matches are fine, they do them in most tournament sports. If one of the players wants to forfeit then give the bronze and prize money to the other competitor and keep it moving. It's that simple.