Post by Foire421 »

From an aoe 3 players perspective, this looks like shit tbh :(
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Re: AOE4 Trailer today @ 8PM GMT

Post by musketeer925 »

I honestly think this art style is basically the exact same as AoE3, in terms of realism. Modern graphics just clean up the literal blurry noise you're used to from AoE3 having to scale everything up about 8x. The only cartoony thing is that units are not the same physical scale as buildings -- exactly the same as every other game in the series.
So yeah thats basically a 3rd aoe2 remake.
lol. HD and DE weren't remakes by any means. They're re-releases. This is a new game. Honestly, I have never been able to get into AoE2, because the graphics are meh (sorry, 2D sprites just don't do it for me) and there is no nostalgia, since I never played it when I was young.

They would have been mad to make a new era. AoE3 was unpopular for introducing too many new mechanics and not feeling like "age of empires". Bringing the game to the modern era would have required too much change to feel like it belonged in the series.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Moronic AoE 2 players didn't like AoE 3 because their tiny brains couldn't understand how shipments work
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Shahpur wrote:The could have done a lot better but they ruined it when they showed the art style of the units and buildings.
Untitled.png
the art of the background and the rocks of the mountain looks amazing, they could have done the same with the rest of the game but I guess it is less time consuming and more profitable to make another fornite meme game
The art is great
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Not overly impressed, but the trailer is still too early. The feel is still cartoonish imo, the colours are too bright that don't fit the era. As for dealing with the middle ages, it shouldn't be a surprise. I might play, when it is released, but atm I can only see a remake of the same game. Let's see for more refined graphics and designs as well as gameplay
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

flontier wrote:There is no gameplay but there are some stuffs we can guess about according to the building we can obs :
The ress gathering system looks like exactly like aoe2. Units too. and ofc same era..

So yeah thats basically a 3rd aoe2 remake.
Where did you understand the res gathering system from? Or how units attack and counters work?
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

If you have to bring resources back to a building like in AoE 2 I'm not even going to try it
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

fightinfrenchman wrote:If you have to bring resources back to a building like in AoE 2 I'm not even going to try it
Why? That's a pretty dumb reason.
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

If only this was true. :o
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Mixed feelings and the hype is dead for me already. I believe for many of us. The trailer isn't anything mindblowing either
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:If you have to bring resources back to a building like in AoE 2 I'm not even going to try it
Why? That's a pretty dumb reason.
It's different, annoying, and bad. The big three
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

iwillspankyou wrote:If only this was true. BUT IT IS not, calm down bois
Keep up the good fight
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

It really isn't that much different. They still gather on their own, its not like you have to task them to bring resources back.
mad cuz bad
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Its become abundantly clear that what most of the community was expecting/hoping for was a game that was essentially gonna be an aoe3 remake. That was obviously never going to happen and a completely unrealistic expectation and if you thought that was going to ever happen you are a dumbass. This trailer does look similar to aoe2, which is best case scenario. It shows they are taking it seriously and there's a chance for this game to have a competitive scene.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

n0el wrote:It really isn't that much different. They still gather on their own, its not like you have to task them to bring resources back.
It's different enough to be bad, to me. Though it may not be an issue anyway since I'm hearing rumors that the trailer is fake
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

I guess the two major hangups people have over this are underwhelming graphics and looks like an aoe2 clone. But the graphics look ok to me (not amazing but not horrible) and the only similarities that have been confirmed are that the games will share some units (trebuchet) and they will share the same time period. We still know nothing about the actual gameplay so I don't understand what's so disappointing to people about the trailer.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Macro mechanics and buildings do look quite the same. Let's hope there is some sort of aoe3ish mechanic in there.
Image Image Image
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

removed by poster
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

^_^
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Garja wrote:Macro mechanics and buildings do look quite the same. Let's hope there is some sort of aoe3ish mechanic in there.
Is there another video or something? Where are the macro mechanics?
mad cuz bad
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Ex box home page, just visits it. There is nothing there, there.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

n0el wrote:
Garja wrote:Macro mechanics and buildings do look quite the same. Let's hope there is some sort of aoe3ish mechanic in there.
I might have stretched it a bit :biggrin:
If you look at the trailer it hovers on the city and there are farms like aoe2/aoeo and other buildings seems like aoe2 (archery, etc.).
Image Image Image
ESOC Business Team

Post by n0el »

Garja wrote:
n0el wrote:
I might have stretched it a bit :biggrin:
If you look at the trailer it hovers on the city and there are farms like aoe2/aoeo and other buildings seems like aoe2 (archery, etc.).
That’s what I thought. I’m not doubting that they will do individual farms and unit training, but I’m sure relic will introduce its own spin on macro mechanics. Surely they won’t just have relics and trade carts. I’d expect something completely unexpected.
mad cuz bad
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Trade posts are pretty cool, I hope for a mechanic like that. Anyway at the very beginning there is a watch tower like in aoe2.
Image Image Image
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

gibson wrote:Its become abundantly clear that what most of the community was expecting/hoping for was a game that was essentially gonna be an aoe3 remake. That was obviously never going to happen and a completely unrealistic expectation and if you thought that was going to ever happen you are a dumbass. This trailer does look similar to aoe2, which is best case scenario. It shows they are taking it seriously and there's a chance for this game to have a competitive scene.
This so much. Why would they ever remake the least liked entry of the genre when they could 'remake' what is objectively one of the best RTS games ever? There were always only two options: It's a medieval era game or they go for a modern era game. But a modern era Age of Empires would never work. It's too different. I am sure that would have been a complete failure. So a realistic aoe3 fan should be happy that they went for the option of a medieval game. After all, its basically that or aoe4 being dead before it launches. What musketeer925 said also perfectly sums up what I feel about the choice of era.
musketeer925 wrote:I honestly think this art style is basically the exact same as AoE3, in terms of realism. Modern graphics just clean up the literal blurry noise you're used to from AoE3 having to scale everything up about 8x. The only cartoony thing is that units are not the same physical scale as buildings -- exactly the same as every other game in the series.
To be honest, at this point I'm convinced people have been traumatized by age of empires online. This trailer straight up showed what state of the art god-view games look like. I can't think of a game like that that actually looks better. The textures are just so good that it's not blurry anymore, and people somehow take that for cartoonish. I seriously suggest people that think it's cartoonish to look at aoeo again, and how ridiculous the movement animations of units look in that game compared to what we saw in this aoe4 trailer.
dicktator_ wrote:I guess the two major hangups people have over this are underwhelming graphics and looks like an aoe2 clone. But the graphics look ok to me (not amazing but not horrible) and the only similarities that have been confirmed are that the games will share some units (trebuchet) and they will share the same time period. We still know nothing about the actual gameplay so I don't understand what's so disappointing to people about the trailer.
Exactly. The only things this trailer shows are:
1) The graphics aren't actually cartoonish. They are okay and this definitely looks like a triple A game, visually speaking.
2) The era will be medieval. This is good because WW2 would have ruined aoe4, and the colonial era was realistically never an option.

People also realize that it being in the medieval era doesn't mean it will be an exact aoe2 clone. You can make a game in the same era that is very different. Again, look at for example sc:bw vs sc2. These are in the same era, with the same three races and many of the same units for these races even. But the games are COMPLETELY different. There is as much of a difference between those to games as between aoe2 and aoe3. So aoe4 can definitely still be very different from aoe2.

It's a reasonable concern that the game will be too similar to aoe2 though. We should be especially concerned about that, because most of the people here don't like aoe2 as much. But even then, imagine a modern version of aoe2 with an active community (for reference, in most new games it will only take seconds to find a game) with maybe even a thriving esports scene. It might not be quite our taste, but it's still going to be a triple A RTS game in a genre that we love, in a series that we love. Even if it's not your dream RTS, this trailer should give the hope for a pretty good RTS. And given the current RTS market and what has happened to age of empires, we should be fucking excited about that.