Re: AOE4 Trailer today @ 8PM GMT

Post by n0el »

This guy fucks
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Btw, did you guys pay attention to all the verticality in the map? I wonder if that is just for this trailer, or if it's actually going to be a thing. That's something I have never seen like that in RTS Games before. It looks very natural.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Btw, did you guys pay attention to all the verticality in the map? I wonder if that is just for this trailer, or if it's actually going to be a thing. That's something I have never seen like that in RTS Games before. It looks very natural.
I really hope they use vertical positioning in the gameplay, maybe not like aoe2 does but like sc2 does in terms of vision.
mad cuz bad
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

n0el wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:Btw, did you guys pay attention to all the verticality in the map? I wonder if that is just for this trailer, or if it's actually going to be a thing. That's something I have never seen like that in RTS Games before. It looks very natural.
I really hope they use vertical positioning in the gameplay, maybe not like aoe2 does but like sc2 does in terms of vision.
The way it looked they could even go further than that. Rather than some cheesy stat multiplier (aoe2) or the unintuitive loss of vision like in sc2, it could just be a movement multiplier. Make units move slower up a hill for example. If it's possible to code that in reasonably well that would be amazing. Just think of the strategic impact the map is going to have. That just creates so many decisions instantly. Charge up the hill and take heavy losses? Try to circumvent the hill and force the fight in a different place? Maybe you can attempt a pinsor move on someone stubbornly holding some hill? Maybe you should always take hills into account when planning an attack. There's so much strategy potential there.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Something I read on the graphics that I thought was spot on:
Honestly thought the art direction is great. This doesn't really look cartoony at all to me. It's not realistic either. It looks like a natural continuation to AoE3's style to me. Proportions on character models upon further inspection look realistic, textures are extremely high quality and detailed, and the meshes are highly detailed too. I understand it's not everyone's cup of tea especially considering how a lot of games try to go for a photo realistic look nowadays, but honestly, I feel photo realistic style of graphics does nothing for this genre gameplay-wise. Units should be easy to differentiate, just as buildings, which means bright colors are often used. Vibrant colors don't go well with highly realistic looking games, imo. It looks jarring. This really doesn't look more cartoonish than say, Starcraft 2. I think they took the right choice here. Gameplay first, visuals second. I always had this issue with Company of Heroes, and even FPS games like COD where you differentiate the enemy because of their red name rather than their colors and/or shape like in Overwatch or Doom 2016.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: AOE4 Trailer Released

Post by Riotcoke »

I like aoe2:de:de

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I dislike when topics are "pinned." Unpin this
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Riotcoke wrote:I like aoe2:de:de
please make your work matter there, there :P
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

fightinfrenchman wrote:I dislike when topics are "pinned." Unpin this
This thread was always pinned. You’re just imagining things
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Cometk wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:I dislike when topics are "pinned." Unpin this
This thread was always pinned. You’re just imagining things
Mandela Effect
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Game looks fun, can’t wait to play it. ;)
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Zutazuta wrote:Game looks fun, can’t wait to play it. ;)
Cool it with the shitposts
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

I’d be willing to bet at least 5 people in this thread have already played it
mad cuz bad
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

Why can’t aoe2 players understand shipments when they all probably use gobblegums anyway
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Graphics are worse than I expected, actually. There was a screenshot that was leaked on reddit some months ago which showed much better graphics than even AOE3 (I kno, I kno, that's hardly possible). I expected graphics close to photorealism, on the highest setting. Bear in mind that this is a cinematic, meaning this is the best the game will look like graphicswise. It won't look any better than this, this is its best showing. And its best showing doesn't look like much. It looks like AOE2 remade with slightly improved graphics (3d engine and better textures). Even the style of buildings and walls is 90% AOE2.

It's actually the underwhelming style of buildings that is a bummer to me, because AOE3 TAD had awesome architecture, Asian wonders, churches, small production buildings that didn't get in the way of viewing stuff on the map. Even though it wasn't realistic, it made a lot of sense from a gameplay point of view. You don't need to see huge buildings to have a good game. On the contrary, small barracks make macro better. But even a vanilla fort in the highest graphic settings looks better than everything I've seen in this trailer. Not to mention AOE3 warships that look nothing short of gorgeus (think Japanese warships).

Another point that I think is disappointing for lots of ppl is that units are larger than in AOE3. It really shows that they're catering to a very broad audience, since they're making everything much more simplified and visible.

Something new and interesting is that maps have terrain with more elevation differences, they basically have hills and mountains, which is very different from previous Age games, which only had impassable cliffs. This means units will be able to climb higher elevation and descend into valleys. Not sure how that will micro/macro.

Overall it's disappointing, but it's less disappointing than I expected. I expected a modernised AOE2 remake and that's what they did. It's surprising that they didn't go for fullblown graphic realism, since that's what sells a game. Not gameplay or competitive scene. It's the graphics that attract a wide public and their money. They don't test the game first to see if they like the gameplay, they judge its worthiness by how cool it looks. And it doesn't look like much. Not completely crap either, but just saying that there's not much wow effect when it comes to graphics. And there's not much new or innovative either, as much as I can tell from this footage, it seems like they just played it safe and targeted the AOE2 public.

The whole thing just screams "this was made by millennial normies for millennial normies to play when they come home from work". And that's how now AOE3 becomes an indie, cult game (how now brown cow).
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Pinch me, I'm dreaming! It's great that they've gone for the medieval era again. AoE3 went up to the early 1900's, and it's hard to imagine an age of empires game going beyond that. Not sure if I agree with their choice of art-style, though. It kind of reminds me of those microtransaction riddled f2p games.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Dolan wrote:
Overall it's disappointing, but it's less disappointing than I expected.

I really, really love this sentence
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

So they basically chose the medieval era for all the right reasons. Also, he alludes to civilizations being much more unique in aoe4, similar to aoe3. That's great news for us aoe3 fans. Also, the big focus on historical accuracy is something that I think many people will be excited to hear.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Dude the trailer sucks looks a like combination of AOEO and AOE2 ..shitty graphics... cartoonish graphics I'm telling you it's a flop end of aoe franchise.
:nwc:
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

@RefluxSemantic Why is historical accuracy supposed to be considered good?
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:@RefluxSemantic Why is historical accuracy supposed to be considered good?
It's something many people say they like in age of empires games. I am personally not really drawn to it, but it's something that a lot of people appreciate.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:@RefluxSemantic Why is historical accuracy supposed to be considered good?
It's something many people say they like in age of empires games. I am personally not really drawn to it, but it's something that a lot of people appreciate.
Those people are nerdy weirdos and their opinions should not count for anything
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
I think it's a weird opinion too. But the thing is, when the game is succesful because of this, it will also be beneficial for people that just like the game in general. Because after all, more players means that the game will get more support. More tournaments, better servers, more balance patches, more bug fixes, simply because it's selling more. So even if they are weirdos, its still positive for all fans.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

RefluxSemantic wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I think it's a weird opinion too. But the thing is, when the game is succesful because of this, it will also be beneficial for people that just like the game in general. Because after all, more players means that the game will get more support. More tournaments, better servers, more balance patches, more bug fixes, simply because it's selling more. So even if they are weirdos, its still positive for all fans.
Bug fixes are not inherently good, if they "fix" certain things that are good in a game
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@RefluxSemantic Most people play games in single player or campaign mode. They really don't care much about servers, tourneys, patches. That's where the bulk of the money comes from.