AOE4 Trailer Released

United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Re: AOE4 Trailer Released

Post by iCourt »

Hmm... Interesting they choose to go back to the middle ages. Wish they'd have gone for a different time period, but if the game play is solid I am sure I will enjoy it.

Reminds me a bit of Empire Earth art wise.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

bittersalt123 wrote:
Papist wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Why are you dismissing a game you've never played and have no knowledge about aside from what was in a 60 second trailer? Maybe wait for some actual gameplay before you say it's a shit game, yeah?
To answer you question. It's cuz it's medieval and I'm not interested in Medieval. Fair enough?
I suppose. Gameplay has always been far more important to me than the premise but perhaps the same is not true for you.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag silky
Musketeer

Post by silky »

We are just going to get AOE2 Reimagined again and again forever because that's the most popular game and will make Micro$oft the most money.

AOE5 announcement: "We really like the medieval era and we thought there were more stories to tell in that period, so we stuck with that."

I didn't want AOE3 Reimagined, just something set a little later, bursting at the seams with frickin' awesomeness.
Death to gendarme-spammers.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I doubt that^^

AOE3 will be more like StarWars 7: a remake, but also a way for the fans to show that they are still very interested etc. If it succeeds, future age of-titles will be more ambitious, I'm sure.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

silky wrote:We are just going to get AOE2 Reimagined again and again forever because that's the most popular game and will make Micro$oft the most money.

AOE5 announcement: "We really like the medieval era and we thought there were more stories to tell in that period, so we stuck with that."

I didn't want AOE3 Reimagined, just something set a little later, bursting at the seams with frickin' awesomeness.
Isnt that usually the entire point of remakes? To take a thing that worked and iterate on it? It doesnt make much sense if you try to remake something, then just ignore the things that made it work and make a different game.

So of course they're going to look at the eras and realise that the medieval era worked. So then they iterate on that of course.

If you wanted something new, you just didnt want an aoe4, you wanted a new rts game
Brazil lemmings121
Jaeger
ESO: lemmings121

Post by lemmings121 »

I'm just triggered that everyone is talking about the "gameplay trailer", where there is absolutelly zero gameplay info.
After the trailer we know that the game is in medieval age, and nothing else. you cant even say that the game is a RTS from that trailer lol.

I just hope they have a bit of courage to bring something new, they dont need to change everything, but also cant just make it AGE2-HD-DE-3D.
Spain NekoBerk
Lancer
ESO: Nirket

Post by NekoBerk »

It would be so much better like an Empire Earth type game. You start with cavemen and you end up being in the WW2 or something.
"That's why we sing for these kids who don't have a thing
Except for a dream and a fuckin' rap magazine " - Eminem

"And we hate po-po
Wanna kill us dead in the street fo sho' " - Kendrick Lamar
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Nah it wouldn't. Balancing the game would become pretty much impossible, and most of the ages wouldn't ever be relevant. The competitive community would just settle on an age to start in that is the least unbalanced and anything before that or too far after that never sees play. You would have wasted time on unit modeling, balancing and a ton of other stuff relating to those ages, that you could've spent improving the ones people actually play. Hell, even in AoE3 which has only 5 ages we almost never see imperial in 1v1s.
EE's design was too ambitious. Granted it was fun for single player, though.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Honestly, not a big fan of EE, even for single player. The idea sounds fun, but all of it seems very immersion breaking and alternate history (much more so than unhistorical stuff in aoe3, which at least doesn't break the suspension of disbelelief): knights fighting tanks etc?

It also seems annoying that many ages are barely worth it or just get skipped all the time. In aoe3, aside from Imperial, all ages seem kinda unique and useful.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Astaroth wrote:Honestly, not a big fan of EE, even for single player. The idea sounds fun, but all of it seems very immersion breaking and alternate history (much more so than unhistorical stuff in aoe3, which at least doesn't break the suspension of disbelelief): knights fighting tanks etc?

It also seems annoying that many ages are barely worth it or just get skipped all the time. In aoe3, aside from Imperial, all ages seem kinda unique and useful.

Yeah, imperial is so less used in standard games that lovers of it had to make a genre of NR to be able to play it at its finest. Getting to brawl armies of various counters, with full ups, to each civs strengths. Potentially I see that happening with AOE 4 because of how different each civ will be. Remember AOE2 did allow certain militaria units age 1. so aging might be more important for some civs in the regards and play better in others. total speculation but you almost have to do that to make so many civs different and viable, like AOE 3. That level of countering is more like rock paper scissors though and some civs could make some tough combos

Also to note looking at ranged units how distance over height may be used as well as travel speed on hills and smoother modern AI dynamics is going to make for some interesting speculation that a game well designed like this could be the new Chess. A game that is easy to play, but impossible to master.

PS> HIre me!
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Well imperial has it's place in supremacy - when IV game goes to a standstill, the one who can get 50% upgrades on units first will be able to break the standstill quite easily. other than that upgrade, every tech and card is already available in IV, this is why usually deatchmatch is capped in IV. you can get gloriously big fights in IV just as well...
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

harcha wrote:Well imperial has it's place in supremacy - when IV game goes to a standstill, the one who can get 50% upgrades on units first will be able to break the standstill quite easily. other than that upgrade, every tech and card is already available in IV, this is why usually deatchmatch is capped in IV. you can get gloriously big fights in IV just as well...
Age 4 is some of the best fighting I experience in FFA. Where there is a lil on the line, and have to make tougher choices, but like you said can fight a lot in it still if everyone else is still age 4. infact since all imperial does is basically increase your strength 50% and your gathering 50% you aren't really going to drain any faster because your age 4 units took just as long to die facing each other and the cost was adjusted as such. so it is even needed? I guess in that tie breaker scenario yes... Unfortunately not many competitive games I have seen have gone to imperial. In FFA it is wise to seek that peacefully. I would like to see them develop a mode specifically for TR games as well so that they recognize the balance of how civs will react when played with "unlimited" eco. Also in this game.... better have more than mines and trade for coin
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Looks shit but who knows
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Victor_swe wrote:Looks shit but who knows
I felt the same but I know relic has done some great work on CoH so I do have a lot of faith in this one! Still always a risk of failure of course..
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

why doesn't it look like aoe3
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

I don't think the epoch range would matter much in game balance. It's impossible for all ages to be played out in a game, even in aoe3 with only 5 ages, we see game reaching imperial in 0,1% of supremacy games. It would be really hard to for age gaps to be created and ruin the game balance and appeal of the game by having fights between units from different eras. I've played the first two Empire Earth games on multiplayer and have never experienced the swordsmen vs tanks scenario everyone's been criticizing EE series for. Epochs progress slowly and it's hard for an age gap to be created.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

tedere12 wrote:I don't think the epoch range would matter much in game balance. It's impossible for all ages to be played out in a game, even in aoe3 with only 5 ages, we see game reaching imperial in 0,1% of supremacy games. It would be really hard to for age gaps to be created and ruin the game balance and appeal of the game by having fights between units from different eras. I've played the first two Empire Earth games on multiplayer and have never experienced the swordsmen vs tanks scenario everyone's been criticizing EE series for. Epochs progress slowly and it's hard for an age gap to be created.
To be fair, you don't usually go age 5 because everything about it is overpriced.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

BTW, the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has better graphics than this AOE4 trailer and it was released by a Polish studio in 2015 :uglylol:
It was built with a pre-made engine, so it was probably even cheaper to develop than this AOE4.

pape
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

Are u serious?
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

@Dolan no multiplayer for witcher 3 and also you can the game for free whats the point lol.
:nwc:
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

@Challenger_Marco It's not the multiplayer part which is the heaviest load on the computer. It's game engine stuff like graphics, which runs only on the client PC. Multiplayer stuff is typically just commands and numbers like "move unit X to coordinate Z:Y on the map and play animation state W". Graphics are the heaviest load and they don't run on the server.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

It doesnt have multiplayer why ur comparing to aoe4...
:nwc:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Dolan wrote:BTW, the Witcher 3 Wild Hunt has better graphics than this AOE4 trailer and it was released by a Polish studio in 2015 :uglylol:
It was built with a pre-made engine, so it was probably even cheaper to develop than this AOE4.

pape
Apples to oranges. Ofc a story based rpg is going to have better graphics than an rts.....
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I think the graphics look great to start. and possibly they can add or remove textures but everything has a nice clean and easy to read across the screen. And its vibrancy is appealing. Its a great choice I think. I really don't see witcher being any better actually just different styles
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

AOE4 map leaked
AOE4 map