AOE4 Trailer Released

No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: AOE4 Trailer today @ 8PM GMT

Post by RefluxSemantic »

About the graphics being cartoonish: This is just the best that a god-view game can look like. Look at any modern game like that, it's all the same or worse. CoH2 looks worse, Cities skylines is what actual cartoonish games look like, don't talk about civilization games, Anno looks similar too, same for Tropico 6 (anno and tropico are both from this year). Aoe4 looks like a state of the art RTS game. What you saw is actually what it looks like, and no typical polished fake trailer (like anthem). This is the best that an RTS game can look in 2019, and I fucking love it.

Also let's be realistic: We are fans of a 14 year old RTS game that was not very well received generally. We will love anything that is not as big of an abomination as aoeo. I also think part of this "cartoonish" stuff is because we're traumatized by age of empires online. Maybe it's good to have a little reminder of what a cartoonish game looks like
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iwillspankyou wrote:hmm. I logged in to xbox, cannot find it there @RefluxSemantic
How did you conclude that it releases today? This is what a trailer is.. something they show you to get you excited about a product that will be releasing in the future.
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

i say fake news. thats not my aoe 4
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Garja wrote:The graphic is not cartoonish, it's stylized which is the best possible you can have. Realistic graphic like aoe3 is cool but it's way too detailed. Hopefully stylized graphic also means it will be more efficient for the PC hardware.
This^^.... Idk why everyones saying it "looks cartoony" and "looks like aoeo", clearly the people saying that dont remember what aoeo looks like. Its a different art style from aoe3, which is to be expected, However its anything but cartoony.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Btw, how many of you compiled the survey back then? I think they asked for favorite era among the other things. they probably just picked the most popular choice and built from there. Feels like there won't be much new stuff gameplay wise. Something like aoe2+more recent aoem/aoe3/aoeo mechanics. The innovation part is probably on the cross platform thing and regional servers, etc.
Image Image Image
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

this is from 2017
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Disappointing.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

I want to believe it also. If you log in to the actual page, Xbox, there is nothing there, there ;) :?:
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Garja wrote:Btw, how many of you compiled the survey back then? I think they asked for favorite era among the other things. Probably just picked the most popular choice and built from there. Feels like there won't be much new stuff game play wise. Something like aoe2+more recent aoem/aoe3/aoeo mechanics. The innovation part is probably on the cross platform thing and regional servers etc.
I mean, they probably concluded that modern eras dont work for age of empires (and that seems like a very reasonable conclusion to me). Then it sort of makes sense, given the popularity of aoe2, to please that audience rather than please aoe3's fans. I can definitely understand this decision. I honestly thing the melee focused combat of the medieval era works well for RTS games. And those walls man, they looked amazing and they might be really cool gameplay mechanics.

I think the medieval era might also be pretty popular in general, together with the world war era, for history fans. Many fantasy games also focus on this era for example, and I think that is for good reason. Totally understandable decision to go for medieval era.

That doesn't mean there isn't room for innovation. Sc1 to sc2 was a huge change for example. As competitive players of an RTS game we all know how influential a few small changes can be to the gameplay. I do think they'll be playing it safe, but there's so much room to make tiny tweaks to the gameplay of an RTS in order to improve it.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iwillspankyou wrote:

this is from 2017
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

Garja wrote:Btw, how many of you compiled the survey back then? I think they asked for favorite era among the other things. they probably just picked the most popular choice and built from there. Feels like there won't be much new stuff gameplay wise. Something like aoe2+more recent aoem/aoe3/aoeo mechanics. The innovation part is probably on the cross platform thing and regional servers, etc.
I did, but it was expected to be in the AoE2 era cause the game is way more popular :/

Edit: Ah, I was 2slow.
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: filoual

Post by Kao »

iwillspankyou wrote:I want to believe it also, but this is clearly fake. If you log in to the actual page, Xbox, there is nothing there, there ;)
Hey Iwillspankyou, believe me, it's a real one, I saw it during the live :mrgreen:
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I unironically want emotes and skins for units
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Kao wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:I want to believe it also, but this is clearly fake. If you log in to the actual page, Xbox, there is nothing there, there ;)
Hey Iwillspankyou, believe me, it's a real one, I saw it during the live :mrgreen:
hmm, I can believe you any day of the year sweetheart :love: But
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

anyway, is this supposed aoe4 to be on Xbox, only? Can an RTS game be played on Xbox? I do not know, that is why I am asking?
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I think they will try to differentiate from aoe2 with unit gameplay, which is worrisome..
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

iwillspankyou wrote:anyway, is this supposed aoe4 to be on Xbox, only? Can an RTS game be played on Xbox? I do not know, that is why I am asking?
Stop the liquors

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

They could have released this exact game 10 years ago. The only new feature for an aoe game are units on walls.
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

Riotcoke wrote:
iwillspankyou wrote:anyway, is this supposed aoe4 to be on Xbox, only? Can an RTS game be played on Xbox? I do not know, that is why I am asking?
Stop the liquors
stop bugging me, wasp :huh:
France Kao
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 01
ESO: filoual

Post by Kao »

Well the Xbox channel + the Xbox lives are now (and since several years) for all the games made/sold/published by Microsoft. But do not worry, aoe4 will be for computer
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

aoe4 is looking like a subdued sub dude
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I fucking love this thread
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag Shahpur
Skirmisher

Post by Shahpur »

The could have done a lot better but they ruined it when they showed the art style of the units and buildings.
Untitled.png
the art of the background and the rocks of the mountain looks amazing, they could have done the same with the rest of the game but I guess it is less time consuming and more profitable to make another fornite meme game
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

There is no gameplay but there are some stuffs we can guess about according to the building we can obs :
The ress gathering system looks like exactly like aoe2. Units too. and ofc same era..

So yeah thats basically a 3rd aoe2 remake.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

flontier wrote:There is no gameplay but there are some stuffs we can guess about according to the building we can obs :
The ress gathering system looks like exactly like aoe2. Units too. and ofc same era..

So yeah thats basically a 3rd aoe2 remake.
That's not necessarily a bad thing.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.