AOE4 Trailer Released

No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Re: AOE4 Trailer Released

Post by RefluxSemantic »

_RDX_ wrote:They shouldn't have let us wait this long tho....to reveal this. This was released 814 days after the Announcement trailer. The last line from the Announcement trailer said "A new age is upon is." and the visuals were portrayed like a 'sequel' is coming to AoE 3, like a game that is set after the colonial era, somewhere set around WW 1 or WW 2 period. This 'gameplay' trailer seems completely deceptive. It feels like they were actually making a game on modern history initially and then they dropped the idea and then they started to make this. That could explain the time they took to reveal this but on the other hand, RTS games take even longer time to make. Imo, i'm not satisfied with the era that it is set in but the audio is sick, The graphics look lit and new developer for the franchise as well, something that i would really like to try out but not exactly what i expected.
Yeah, the way they handled the reveals was probably suboptimal. They sort of let people run wild with their imagination, and it turns out that everybody basically wanted something different. For example on ESOC there are many people disappointed that it isn't set in aoe3's era (which makes sense) while other people were imagining all the world war ideas for aoe4.

I think it might have been better had they shown a cinematic trailer a year ago as the announcement. Just a trailer showcasing some medieval stuff. Then people would just be crazy excited that aoe4 is coming at all and wouldn't even give a shit that it's not their favorite era. The cinematic trailer is sort of missing either way. Normally games first show off something like that and then come up with a gameplay video right? I'm hoping we still get something sick next E3, maybe an insight into what the campaign will look like.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
_RDX_ wrote:They shouldn't have let us wait this long tho....to reveal this. This was released 814 days after the Announcement trailer. The last line from the Announcement trailer said "A new age is upon is." and the visuals were portrayed like a 'sequel' is coming to AoE 3, like a game that is set after the colonial era, somewhere set around WW 1 or WW 2 period. This 'gameplay' trailer seems completely deceptive. It feels like they were actually making a game on modern history initially and then they dropped the idea and then they started to make this. That could explain the time they took to reveal this but on the other hand, RTS games take even longer time to make. Imo, i'm not satisfied with the era that it is set in but the audio is sick, The graphics look lit and new developer for the franchise as well, something that i would really like to try out but not exactly what i expected.
Yeah, the way they handled the reveals was probably suboptimal. They sort of let people run wild with their imagination, and it turns out that everybody basically wanted something different. For example on ESOC there are many people disappointed that it isn't set in aoe3's era (which makes sense) while other people were imagining all the world war ideas for aoe4.

I think it might have been better had they shown a cinematic trailer a year ago as the announcement. Just a trailer showcasing some medieval stuff. Then people would just be crazy excited that aoe4 is coming at all and wouldn't even give a shit that it's not their favorite era. The cinematic trailer is sort of missing either way. Normally games first show off something like that and then come up with a gameplay video right? I'm hoping we still get something sick next E3, maybe an insight into what the campaign will look like.
Yeah, its been so long, and now its like wham! a game is almost done! but I am happy with what I see even though I could have seen it go either way. A new age would need a totally new resource tree and units countering with less melee. But I think they still leave a lot of room for future advancement once they establish a solid foundation of what fans made famous of the brand. And now they can have much more fun with it and tailor different civs in various ways.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

“We’ve got a host of civilisations in the game, and one of the things that’s different about Age 4 than previous Age games is […] a lot of the civs were similar – they had unique units and differences in tech – but they were all kind of similar. That’s not the case in Age 4 anymore,” Isgreen explains.

In previous Age games, all civs shared common tech, building, and unit trees, but no one civ could access every node on those trees – the Britons in Age 2 got every archery unit, but their cavalry tree stopped just short of the top tier, for instance. Each civ also got a unique unit and a set of bonuses (e.g. the Goths got a higher population cap and cheaper infantry), and that would be the extent of their differences. It was enough to make for some really diverse strategies in multiplayer, but – as Isgreen says – “they were all kind of similar.”
This is pretty dumb. They are referencing only AoE2 but acting like all previous Age games were like this. There is lots of difference between civs in AoM and AoE3.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Isn't it pretty great that aoe4 will be taking things from more games than aoe2? Be optimistic!
Uzbekistan Timurid
Skirmisher
ESO: Trained Spahi

Post by Timurid »

i want cannons or i am not buying it!
United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

Papist wrote:
bittersalt123 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm sure i'm not the only one hoping for an AOE3 improvement and was not really hyped for an AOE2 type of AOE. I guess way more people will be happy than upset anyways since AOE2 is way more popular. Oh well I guess AOE3 DE will be my final AOE resting place.
Why are you dismissing a game you've never played and have no knowledge about aside from what was in a 60 second trailer? Maybe wait for some actual gameplay before you say it's a shit game, yeah?
No gunpowder no happy.
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
United States of America bittersalt123
Howdah

Post by bittersalt123 »

Papist wrote:
bittersalt123 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
I'm sure i'm not the only one hoping for an AOE3 improvement and was not really hyped for an AOE2 type of AOE. I guess way more people will be happy than upset anyways since AOE2 is way more popular. Oh well I guess AOE3 DE will be my final AOE resting place.
Why are you dismissing a game you've never played and have no knowledge about aside from what was in a 60 second trailer? Maybe wait for some actual gameplay before you say it's a shit game, yeah?
To answer you question. It's cuz it's medieval and I'm not interested in Medieval. Fair enough?
"It makes a lot of sense to me that you're a Floridian." fightinfrenchman

Who needs water when you've got Brawndo – The Thirst Mutilator?

Secretary of State: But Brawndo's got what plants crave. It's got electrolytes
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:You are pretty biased here. A medieval base building rts has been done exactly once, by aoe2. Theres also the stronghold series I guess, but thats very different. For the aoe3 timeline you also have cossacks. Its about even really.
When AOE4 comes out there will be three medieval Age games:

- AOE2 played on Voobly
- AOE2 DE
- AOE4

What's the point?
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

Dolan wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:You are pretty biased here. A medieval base building rts has been done exactly once, by aoe2. Theres also the stronghold series I guess, but thats very different. For the aoe3 timeline you also have cossacks. Its about even really.

- AOE2 played on Voobly
- AOE2 DE
- AOE4

What's the point?

Even though age 2 got revitalized I do not think it can ever be self actualized into what an evolved games would be like. where there is an abundance of unique playing civs and strategies. I think it is a sign of a prolonged investment in the series and I imagine with its success they will make more modern and futuristic off shoots.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Dolan wrote:

- AOE2 played on Voobly
- AOE2 DE
- AOE4

What's the point?
I mean...look on the brighter side. The release of RTS games have been drastically reduced these days but for a super popular franchise like AoE, this could be an absolute win. They are doing this for the fans. It's going to bring back a lot of people at least to try it out because of nostalgia. Who would've even thought that an AoE 4 is coming out until they announced it 12 years after AoE 3? Maybe we just need a perfect reveal on the gameplay and civs to know what's it all about. I hope it's not gonna be another AoE 2 rip off.
oranges.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Isn't it pretty great that aoe4 will be taking things from more games than aoe2? Be optimistic!
I have trouble with the fact that the article says "In previous age games, civs were similar", while in reality it's only AoE2 they are referencing, not AoE3 or AoM (or AoEO). I'm not sure how this shows us they will take things from those games. If anything, it looks to me they are ignoring them.
No Flag Ting
Crossbow

Post by Ting »

When AoE4 comes out it will be competing with Iron Harvest and Homeworld 3 probably. So they better not fuck it up.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Dolan wrote:

- AOE2 played on Voobly
- AOE2 DE
- AOE4

What's the point?
That two of the three games you mentioned are outdated games and that one of them will actually be a fresh game.

This is especially hypocritical from someone who has constantly been complaining even about aoe3 being outdated. Ive read you complaining about the dated UI, the dated textures, the dated peer to peer multiplayer. So clearly you are not interested much in older games. And there are obviously many people like that.

Besides, its just retarded to use this logic. There are thousands of sequals on older games, many of which improved the game a lot. By your logic there wasnt a point in almost all the big games that are around nowadays.
United States of America Amsel_
Howdah
ESO: The_Amsel

Post by Amsel_ »

Thrar wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:I'm a big fan of Medieval/Fantasy settings, but you're right about the staleness of modern media and entertainment.
I don't think that's even modern entertainment, but just entertainment in general. Look at how many Frankenstein or Dracula spin-offs there were in the 1920s to 1940s, how many westerns a few decades later, or even how many different dramas set in some king's court Shakespeare alone has written.
For each of these there are a few standout classics and then many more that faded into obscurity because they didn't bring anything truly different to the table. I expect that if you look at the output of ancient Greek theater playwrights, 19th century novelists, or any other narrative art form, you'll see very similar patterns.

When addressing a global market, there is a limited number of settings that are accessible to the audience. If you make it too obscure or too distant, people without the relevant background will find it difficult to relate. Being tied to historical, non-fiction settings further limits that pool of possibilities.

I don't think there is anything fundamentally wrong with revisiting a setting. It's practically impossible to avoid anyway, and there is still plenty of space to innovate or look at it through a different lens. The trailer doesn't tell us much about what the creators have in mind, but I'm sure it will be a different take on the period from ES's 20 years ago.
I don't know. I think most people would find that the number of good movies made from January 1st, 1990 to December 31st, 1999 is a lot better than those made from January 1st, 2010 to December 31st, 2019. In video games in particular, it seems readily agreed upon that certain sets of years are "golden ages." There's also the question of how market-share affects this. There might be more innovation in very decentralized markets, relative to, say the current markets, where a handful of companies dominate their respective industries. But, if I'm not mistaken, movies and video games have essentially always had large companies at the top of the industry. It might be argued, however, that the rise of the marketing age has further empowered these companies.

There seems to be some psychological biases going on this discussions of this sort, though. Some people will just automatically assume things in the past were better than current things. This is presumably an issue of familiarity, where people are less "in touch" with newer media. It can also serve egotism. Culturally, we seem to enjoy patting ourselves on the back with snobbery. On the other hand, there are many people who will vehemently deny the past any honors whatsoever. I generally attribute this to people having an extremely linear, progressive view of history; and challenging this, even in minute ways - such as entertainment - triggers cognitive dissonance. Age is at play here, as well. Younger people are going to be more biased towards newer media, since that is what they're most familiar with.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

TV shows went through, arguably are still going through, a golden era in the 21st century so time is not the only factor. One factor that would make sense in this context is that, with TV becoming more and more of a respectable medium to tell stories, people who had stories to tell would sooner make the choice to tell it there. It's no surprise that writers in particular like the medium, because it gives them more time to tell their story. Could be one reason good writing is getting harder to find in movies.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

edeholland wrote:I have trouble with the fact that the article says "In previous age games, civs were similar", while in reality it's only AoE2 they are referencing, not AoE3 or AoM (or AoEO). I'm not sure how this shows us they will take things from those games. If anything, it looks to me they are ignoring them.
To be fair, AoE3 vanilla would fit the description of "similar civs" quite well on paper. The most unique civ in vanilla were the Ottomans who did not have standard muskets/xbows/pikes/skirms/goons. But they still shared the same tech tee in large parts by having hussars / cav archers / falcs / culvs / mortars as well as the techs in the arsenal / mill / plantation / capitol.

Of course this neglects the homecity shipment system and the civs were more unique than those of aoe2. But if you have in mind the classical dualism between aoe2 and starcraft, the uniqueness (or similarity) of civs in aoe3 is closer to that of aoe2 than to starcraft.

Granted, the civs became more unique with the expansions and I would personally say that the shipment system is more than enough to ensure uniqueness, but for the majority of people who never really got into aoe3 the statement "civs were similar" is understandable.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

RefluxSemantic wrote:That two of the three games you mentioned are outdated games and that one of them will actually be a fresh game.

This is especially hypocritical from someone who has constantly been complaining even about aoe3 being outdated. Ive read you complaining about the dated UI, the dated textures, the dated peer to peer multiplayer. So clearly you are not interested much in older games. And there are obviously many people like that.

Besides, its just retarded to use this logic. There are thousands of sequals on older games, many of which improved the game a lot. By your logic there wasnt a point in almost all the big games that are around nowadays.
How are those games outdated if most people who play AOE2 play it on Voobly, afaik? I mean they might be technologically outdated, but how does this factor in with the fact that when AOE4 comes out there will be 3 medieval-themed Age games on the market? What's the point of this redundancy?

I have voiced my discontent with some parts of AOE3 which are outdated and which can ruin your gaming experience (such as lag, caused by Ensemble's choice of a peer-to-peer networking model for AOE3). Tbh, if this company that Microsoft contracted to develop AOE3 DE solves these issues with lag and makes the game playable on servers, so that only laggers are affected by lag (just like in LoL), that'd make AOE3 a viable game for me again. Freshen up the UI and game textures a bit, add a couple of new maps and maybe even a few units or civs (or replace a few), and it would feel like massive improvement.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

tbh just dedicated servers would be good enough for me
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

is that how the actual gameplay is going to look like? If so I think I'm gonna love it. Hopefully there are more eras than medieval tho.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

tedere12 wrote:is that how the actual gameplay is going to look like? If so I think I'm gonna love it. Hopefully there are more eras than medieval tho.
I think it'll look very close to that. You can see little bits of the trailer where cavalry has some pathing 'issues' (as in, the stuff that you just have in any RTS). If this was completely scripted I think they'd have ironed those little bits out. So based on that, I think this might be very close to what the game will look like.
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

tedere12 wrote:is that how the actual gameplay is going to look like? If so I think I'm gonna love it. Hopefully there are more eras than medieval tho.

I think this is in game cinematic so units/terrain should look like this but the interfaces were removed and so it was sculpted. but I hope some kind of alghorithm is made to make walk ways and turn them into paved etc...

they also mentioned that it will be a greater range, so I think it would be fun/ interesting to see ancient civs mixed in.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Bad news
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

Amsel_ wrote:I don't know. I think most people would find that the number of good movies made from January 1st, 1990 to December 31st, 1999 is a lot better than those made from January 1st, 2010 to December 31st, 2019. In video games in particular, it seems readily agreed upon that certain sets of years are "golden ages." There's also the question of how market-share affects this. There might be more innovation in very decentralized markets, relative to, say the current markets, where a handful of companies dominate their respective industries. But, if I'm not mistaken, movies and video games have essentially always had large companies at the top of the industry. It might be argued, however, that the rise of the marketing age has further empowered these companies.

There seems to be some psychological biases going on this discussions of this sort, though. Some people will just automatically assume things in the past were better than current things. This is presumably an issue of familiarity, where people are less "in touch" with newer media. It can also serve egotism. Culturally, we seem to enjoy patting ourselves on the back with snobbery. On the other hand, there are many people who will vehemently deny the past any honors whatsoever. I generally attribute this to people having an extremely linear, progressive view of history; and challenging this, even in minute ways - such as entertainment - triggers cognitive dissonance. Age is at play here, as well. Younger people are going to be more biased towards newer media, since that is what they're most familiar with.
I agree with a lot of the points you make, especially the second paragraph. Not all the things we remember as great entertainment from growing up hold up so well from today's viewpoint, especially when viewed without a nostalgic perspective (e.g. by someone who only got to know them as an adult).

As to the golden ages, I think the fundamental driver is quantity. A higher output of complex TV series in the 2010s or RTS games in the 1990s means the number of great works is higher in absolute terms, even if their share of the overall output might be similar. There are still a lot of uninspiring TV series today, just like there were lots of also-rans in the RTS market in the 90s. Since mainly the great works are remembered, in retrospective it looks like a past period just had better art in a certain category.

I'm not sure about the impact of the large companies. Clearly there are some companies like Activision Blizzard, EA, Ubisoft, Bethesda, and probably a few more whose size and turnover dwarf most others in the games industry. Still I think there are some great success stories of smaller studios doing genre-defining work: CD Projekt Red (Witcher) and more recently Warhorse (Kingdom Come) created AAA RPG titles as independent studios, Sports Interactive (Football Manager) goes toe to toe with EA in its market, and even Bluehole (PUBG) was at best a medium-sized company when they transformed the shooter genre.
So I'd agree that the market is stratified, but I don't know whether that has a significant impact on the innovation taking place. I'd say distribution platforms, especially Steam, have even reverted the power of centralized publishers. Back in the day ES had to partner with Microsoft for distribution, while today thousands of independent studios can publish their work without having to convince a big name decision maker to greenlight it.