ZeroEmpires: The story of Escape, the hardest year of my life

No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Re: ZeroEmpires: The story of Escape, the hardest year of my life

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dolan wrote:If someone set this up in Eastern Europe, it would have been 5 times cheaper and since the revenue from subs would be the same no matter where the studio/office were hosted, you'd have cheap Eastern Euro costs and the same revenue.

Location arbitrage, bitches. Image
Really, I have wondered the same. Was there any reason except comfort for choosing UK?
I don't think it would be too hard to find staff who speak in English in Eastern-Europe and everything is multiple times cheaper.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Astaroth wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:That they wouldn't get enough subscribers to stay afloat wasn't set in stone at all, so I don't know why you guys are pretending it was "obvious". With a better format for the ECL I think the LAN event could've done much better and they might've actually ended up with the amount of subs they needed. Retaining them and gaining more could've been doable as well, with the right follow up. The AoE community may not be big, but it's old (which means relatively wealthy compared to other gaming communities). It could've worked. You can't "run the numbers" on how many subs you're going to get from hosting a LAN event. You can take a wild guess and try your best, that's about it.

Ofc you can make an educated guess based on the amount of subs and views your channel ans other channels got before for at least comparable events:

1. Amount of viewers (prerequisite for even getting subs): no channel has ever gotten a huge amount of views just off the bat, no matter how good the event was.the by far biggest stream numbers till now (excluding non-aoe streamers) were achieved by longtime aoe2 streamers who did massive promotions for their respective events (t90, nili aoe). There was just no basis whatsoever to assume that the ECL lan would hit anywhere near the required, lets say 10k at least viewers, considering that the Eacqpe twitch channel had comparatively few views and subs.

High viewer numbers are firstly due to constamt viewership over time and much less about event quality. Im sure a random t90 tourney would get more views than the best Lan ever on an unknown channel.

2. There was also no reason to assume they would get that many new subs suddenly. No other event with way more (!) viewers has ever gotten that many new subs right off the bat. Not even close.

3. All the events that garnered a lot of new subs mostly resulted in gifted 1 month subs. Those are not sustainable, unless you have constant, high quality content. And even then they will decrease. Every other aoe2 streamer has had this experience.

All of these factors combined show that there was basicslly no chance in hell to get the amount of subs needed on a permanent basis. Ofc you can now claim, but oh, this was a completely different animal, you can't compare it. But really, there was zero evidence for it.

Why would 1,5k viewers randomly subsribe to a quite small aoe2 channel, just due to one Lan, which cant even be expected to get that many views due to lacking a permanent viewership, when even in the past nothing like has ever remotely happened, even on much bigger, more popular channely with 24/7 new streams and content?
Lol they got 500+ subs from NWC and our community is 1/10 the size of the AoE2 community. I'm not saying 1500 was an easy goal, but it wasn't a huge stretch either.
But they didn't set up everything at the start. They set up stuff for NWC, thrn later they seemingly started prep for ECL from scratch because they were only busy with that for weeks.
ECL had teamgames and the crowd was bigger, so obviously there was still extra work to be done. There was also a bunch of overlap though, for example the network infrastructure, camera and audio setups, etcetera.
They rented that place for months, yet didnt set up basically anything for a long time there. Maybe they couldnt, sure - but then why rent the place all the time?
You could ask me that question. You could also make a bunch of assumptions and argue they did it all wrong. Or you can admit you don't know even half of the factors that went into the decision and should probably be a little more reserved in your judgment.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

500 possible one time subs wasnt the requirement though, it was having 1600 subs every month!
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

somppukunkku wrote:Really, I have wondered the same. Was there any reason except comfort for choosing UK?
I don't think it would be too hard to find staff who speak in English in Eastern-Europe and everything is multiple times cheaper.
I live in eastern bloc and I don't know anyone else who has interest in aoe3. Then again i don't know anyone (period)
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Its a different community, you cant compare it... Aoe3 has like no streamers who even use a microphone and only like 1 channel with regular tournament content (ESOC). There was like no competition for Escape.

Aoe2 community might be bigger, but there are also a lot more pro streamers, players who use a mic etc. If you want to succeed there, you need a permanent viewership.

Also, how many of the subs were longterm? Most were prolly 1 month and/or gifted. Thats why gaining subs mostly from big events isnt really sustainable, as EVERY aoe2 streamer has experienced (look at Memb for example). Only regular high quality content can sustain a streaming career. Theres a reason why eg t90, the biggest aoe2 streamer, rarely takes breaks. Or look at TheViper: he took a break for a few months and his subs dropped drastically.

Ofc we don't know all the facts, but we do know a lot. Zak and others have written at length about their goals, MO etc. And on the facts their plan just makes no sense. That is a fair assumption imo. Or do you never talk about politics (/any other topic) because you dont know all the inside info? You will never have all the facts, but if that bothers you, you might as well never have an discussion nor post on a forum.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Yeah, you need to be cranking out HQ content continuously which after the LAN, with 4 full time employees and a studio, should've been quite doable. Think weekend events, show matches, etc.
ECL had been going for quite a while before the LAN. If that tournament had actually generated the hype that it could have (with a better format and some other changes), that would easily have satisfied the "regular HQ content" requirement which as you correctly stated was a prerequisite for getting high viewer numbers at the LAN. The problem was ECL, even though the best of the best were competing every other week and the prize pool was large, never lived up to its potential. If it had, and it had all worked out, the business decisions you are now criticizing would've looked much smarter.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

japanesegeneral wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:The mistakes were indeed obvious. When a draft calculation of the finances already shows that its a bad idea, you dont really need to go any deeper. And you can always claim its easy talking in hindsight, but this is 100% something you should do whenever you want to invest. It needs to at least seem to be profitable or sustainable. EscapeTV didnt have any indications of it being sustainable..
Like you could probably know that. Just shut the fuck up man. Be happy that it happened and be thankful for all the great memories from the lan. Don't pretend to know anything since you don't.
Why do you need to sugarcoat the truth? Why do we need to describe a failed business as something we are thankful for? Life is hard, and the sooner you accept that the better off you are.

I think we should actually talk about what happened here. ZeroEmpires is lucky to still be doing as good as he is, considering how much worse things could have gone. They took a huge financial risk. I honestly think you have the obligation to actually check if its viable. You are taking a $100,000 and asking three other people to quit whatever they were doing and join your project. It was not ill intended, but it is your responsibility to make sure your plans actually make sense. And I honestly dont think they did make sense.

We shouldnt just be praising them for this. This could have ended up ruining their lifes. You shouldnt take something like that lightly or sugarcoat it, you should take if for what it is. This sugarcoating attitude is what leads people to take these dumb financial risks to begin with. We only want to hear the succes stories, we only want to praise people because they followed their dreams (even if that was a stupid thing to do). This is what leads people to fuck up their lifes, and by endorsing, or rather demanding, this attitude you have the proverbial blood on your hands.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

Esoc is filled with entrepreneurs but the fact is that these guys actually did something when they got the chance, and I appreciate their contribution a lot more than the besserwisser comments in this thread.

Does it really matter that much to you that they didn't follow the advice you gave them when they started? (I can only assume you did) It was their project, their rules. if you want it done your way you should start your own.

Lets show some respect for what good stuff they did by practice giving good constructive feedback (hint, it normally includes some positive parts too). But lets keep in mind that they didn't even ask for it and they probably know everything you're gonna say and much more becaused they LIVED through the project and its result.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

91 wrote:Esoc is filled with entrepreneurs but the fact is that these guys actually did something when they got the chance, and I appreciate their contribution a lot more than the besserwisser comments in this thread.

Does it really matter that much to you that they didn't follow the advice you gave them when they started? (I can only assume you did) It was their project, their rules. if you want it done your way you should start your own.

Lets show some respect for what good stuff they did by practice giving good constructive feedback (hint, it normally includes some positive parts too). But lets keep in mind that they didn't even ask for it and they probably know everything you're gonna say and much more becaused they LIVED through the project and its result.
Why do you support people trying to ruin their life? Would you support someone who's pointing a gun at his own head? "He actually did something when he got to chance to do so!!"
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
91 wrote:Esoc is filled with entrepreneurs but the fact is that these guys actually did something when they got the chance, and I appreciate their contribution a lot more than the besserwisser comments in this thread.

Why do you support people trying to ruin their life? Would you support someone who's pointing a gun at his own head? "He actually did something when he got to chance to do so!!"
lol come on, dont give me that bull. You dont give a chip about their lives. Your comments here dont make a difference to them, the project is over now. If you truly cared you'd send them a PM
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer
ESO: JapaneseGeneral

Post by japanesegeneral »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
japanesegeneral wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:The mistakes were indeed obvious. When a draft calculation of the finances already shows that its a bad idea, you dont really need to go any deeper. And you can always claim its easy talking in hindsight, but this is 100% something you should do whenever you want to invest. It needs to at least seem to be profitable or sustainable. EscapeTV didnt have any indications of it being sustainable..
Like you could probably know that. Just shut the fuck up man. Be happy that it happened and be thankful for all the great memories from the lan. Don't pretend to know anything since you don't.
Why do you need to sugarcoat the truth?
Do you seriously think a thing such as "the truth" would exist? If so tell me more about that concept. I like how you pretend to know everything from an ex-post perspective. You do not know any detail about it yet you spend so much time pretending like you had a clue how things could have gone well. You were not there at the time you do not know any of the circumstances, yet you instist on knowing enough. Saying it was a great tournament is not sugarcoating at all. Many people really liked the event. How do you guys pretend to know the draft calculations? That is just dumb to assume. There is a reason it was a high risk investment. Maybe you should revisit econ 101...
6 petards a day keep the doctor away.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

91 wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:

lol come on, dont give me that bull. You dont give a chip about their lives. Your comments here dont make a difference to them, the project is over now. If you truly cared you'd send them a PM
Im just pointing out that its ridiculous to praise people for their selfdestructive behaviour.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

somppukunkku wrote:
Dolan wrote:If someone set this up in Eastern Europe, it would have been 5 times cheaper and since the revenue from subs would be the same no matter where the studio/office were hosted, you'd have cheap Eastern Euro costs and the same revenue.

Really, I have wondered the same. Was there any reason except comfort for choosing UK?
They chose UK because they live in the UK. And obviously this gave them a job casting games.

But if someone from Eastern Europe, say Eaglemut or Harcha, got that capital from that guy, they could have lasted the project a few years until it would have started making money. Renting in the UK a whole warehouse to set up a permanent studio is just a crazy business choice. All Anglo countries have super-expensive real estate, among the most expensive in the world.

You'd also have super-fast and cheap internet in Eastern Europe and not so many costs related to getting a license for everything like in the UK.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer

RefluxSemantic wrote:
91 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Im just pointing out that its ridiculous to praise people for their selfdestructive behaviour.
Your just jealous because these guys had something most guys will never have but always aspire:a heroic journey. A male dream that does not come true anymore in the 21st century.
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer

Dolan wrote:
somppukunkku wrote:

They chose UK because they live in the UK. And obviously this gave them a job casting games.

But if someone from Eastern Europe, say Eaglemut or Harcha, got that capital from that guy, they could have lasted the project a few years until it would have started making money. Renting in the UK a whole warehouse to set up a permanent studio is just a crazy business choice. All Anglo countries have super-expensive real estate, among the most expensive in the world.

You'd also have super-fast and cheap internet in Eastern Europe and not so many costs related to getting a license for everything like in the UK.
Lol. Thats so funny. These four are extraordinary people. Each one of them as talent beyond my imagination in storytelling. Not everyone has that gift. People would not have made anywhere near those numbers of viewers. Also eastern european are really terrible to listen to. Who would have played in tourney where the price is getting an invitation to eastern europe? Probably only half the top level players.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

japanesegeneral wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Your just jealous because these guys had something most guys will never have but always aspire:a heroic journey. A male dream that does not come true anymore in the 21st century.
If only I could be so heroic and take the opportunity to waste so much money and time!
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer

RefluxSemantic wrote:
japanesegeneral wrote:
Show hidden quotes
If only I could be so heroic and take the opportunity to waste so much money and time!
You should really retake econ 101.
No Flag 91
Retired Contributor
Donator 01

Post by 91 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
japanesegeneral wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It's not your money, why do you care
Germany japanesegeneral
Lancer

RefluxSemantic wrote:
japanesegeneral wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Unfortunately nobody believes in your talent. All you can do is waste your own money :o
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

If you set up a LAN tourney in Romania I promise I will come
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

japanesegeneral wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Unfortunately nobody believes in your talent. All you can do is waste your one money :o
I might just not be as smart as you, but I fail to see how you baselessly insulting me makes escapeTV (you know, the startup that caused 4 people to be unemployed and wasted tons of money on renting a warehouse and buying equipment) a heroic journey.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

91 wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
It's not your money, why do you care
I do not know the exact structure or how it went down, but I think the people that started this have been negligent by not properly assessing the viability of the project. Unless every participant was equally negligent, there are people to blame. These people are then responsible for not only wasting their own money, but also causing harm to the others involved. I don't know about your morals, but even by law negligence is actually something that you can sue someone for. So I care in the sense that I uphold normal western moral values.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Nobody wants to go to the shit part of Europe for a lan event. Also none of the players are from Eastern Europe so flight costs end up being more expensive. Overall the benefit isn't worth it especially when you regard non-monetary aspects such as the negativity on the brand that comes from not being in a western European country.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
France bwinner
Howdah
Donator 01
ESO: bwinner

Post by bwinner »

japanesegeneral wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Lol. Thats so funny. These four are extraordinary people. Each one of them as talent beyond my imagination in storytelling. Not everyone has that gift. People would not have made anywhere near those numbers of viewers. Also eastern european are really terrible to listen to. Who would have played in tourney where the price is getting an invitation to eastern europe? Probably only half the top level players.
Emigrating is allowed you know, it could have been the same team working in Eastern Europe. Then for the public, most of them didn't come from the UK so I would say the place doesn't matter too much, especially since the distance to ger/france is about the same and this are the biggest countries for aoe3.

Btw @Riotcoke Manchester is not a place where you want to go for holidays at all, I would probably have joined if the tourney was in a nice place of Eastern Europe rather than an uninteresting old industrial city of UK.
Manchester sounds like the shittest part of Europe to me, while Eastern Europe is beautiful.
United States of America vardar
Lancer
ESO: VardarB98/DemonDeacs

Post by vardar »

A wonderful journey that burned through 100k. Why you so salty? I actually like reading the criticisms of Escape, insightful imo. Ofc they seem to be hurtful to some but this is a business that failed pretty hard yet we don’t want to talk about maybe WHY it failed?

That’s a lot of money....100k. I couldn’t do any better with that sort of money (prolly worse, im only good at one thing in life xD) but then again I would never take such an offer like that. @japanesegeneral
c0ns!