ZeroEmpires: The story of Escape, the hardest year of my life

Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Re: ZeroEmpires: The story of Escape, the hardest year of my life

Post by Dolan »

@RefluxSemantic It's just a case of the Pollyanna principle. Unfortunately most of the normie population suffers from this positivity bias, which makes them unable to cope with reality unless it's sweetened with make-believe uplifting stories.

Tbh, I think it's a cognitive handicap. They evolved this trait to better cope with life, but this turned out to cloud their perception of reality.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

kami_ryu wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Nobody said a life was ruined though? And how was any of this not destructive? People lost jobs over this, people lost serious amounts of money. That's what destructive is. ZeroEmpires even admits this himself, that he's lucky he's still in a position to produce some content after all that happened. This was a huge, irresponsible risk. This project deserves criticism. This is not about monopoly money, this is about real money, about people potentially getting in a lot of financial troubles.
Your being dramatic is as boring as it is ignorant. Losing a job or some money is not the end of the world. Sometimes businesses fail. Financial troubles are real ones but you're acting like Escape was letting 6 year olds play with grenades. Tone it down brother, if you want people to take you seriously.
Again, where did I say it is the end of the world? I said it's destructive. Please, read.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

Cope with reality. lol sigh.
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Eugenic Stagnation Observation - Community .net

Where we now discuss the degradation of humanity and failure of evolution due to a small streaming game service that failed.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Yeah I was wrong. EscapeTV was an awesome idea. Probably bad luck that it didnt go as planned. Hopefully four other guys quit their job and become the next thing!
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

RefluxSemantic wrote:Yeah I was wrong. EscapeTV was an awesome idea. Probably bad luck that it didnt go as planned. Hopefully four other guys quit their job and become the next thing!
I hope there's another similar event, would be OP
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Singapore Thrar
Retired Contributor
ESO: Thrar

Post by Thrar »

I think it's important to keep in mind that people have different levels of risk appetite/tolerance, depending on their mindset and where they are in their lives.

Clearly, for someone who is saving at most a few hundred dollars each month it would seem like a crazy proposition to invest 100k into an esports moonshot. For an established venture capitalist on the other hand that's chump change. In this case my guess would be that the investor was somewhere in the middle, with enough wealth at their disposal that the financial loss might suck but doesn't seriously impact their life or career.

It's similar for the people leaving behind other employment to join Escape. If you have a nice job in line with your career goals, and you want to make that career one of your life goals, then it would be absurd to quit for such an uncertain venture. Similarly, for people having financial obligations like family or debt it might seem irresponsible to take on such uncertainty.

If on the other hand you're freelancing or working jobs that are just a way to pay the bills rather than being part of a long-term career, and you're confident that you can find another comparable job if things go south, then I think a venture like Escape looks very tempting, risks be damned. Even more so if your career goals are in fact to do something related to esports. You're not risking your long-term future, at worst you'll be back to square one after a year, with a valuable experience on your resume and a great story to tell.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

iCourt wrote:Eugenic Stagnation Observation - Community .net

Where we now discuss the degradation of humanity and failure of evolution due to a small streaming game service that failed.
You can't be choosy when it comes to where inspiration comes.

You could be on the throne, plopping poop, while gaining new insight into why gravitation bends spacetime.
No Flag almalek
Skirmisher

Post by almalek »

the beginning I will go and hand insight
No Flag almalek
Skirmisher

Post by almalek »

Dolan wrote:

You could be on the throne, plopping poop, while gaining new insight into why gravitation bends spacetime.
you can bring better joke
No Flag almalek
Skirmisher

Post by almalek »

Dolan wrote:

this is nt gonna work
No Flag almalek
Skirmisher

Post by almalek »

almalek wrote:
Dolan wrote:

this is nt gonna work
how can you discuss the degradation add more on that
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Post by Sargsyan »

almalek wrote:the beginning I will go and hand insight
almalek wrote:
Dolan wrote:

you can bring better joke
almalek wrote:
Dolan wrote:

this is nt gonna work
almalek wrote:
Dolan wrote:

this is nt gonna work
how can you discuss the degradation add more on that[/quote]

THESE
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
No Flag almalek
Skirmisher

Post by almalek »

almalek wrote:
almalek wrote:
Show hidden quotes
this is nt gonna work
and the wait for age de
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

almalek wrote:
almalek wrote:
Show hidden quotes
and the wait for age de
yesh
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by Sargsyan »

i couldn't resist doing this, now I feel ashamed. delete my posts pls
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

@zeroempires @Interjection I think it would be cool if the Escape Studios guest sign in book was scanned and publicized on internet
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I have no idea where that is, Zak probably has it. But yes, that would mean a lot to have it online given it represents us all coming together at least once
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

It's hard to argue that they did anything wrong with the way they organized the tournaments. We have no idea what happened in the background between the team and the investor. Both probably had their own ideas and they surely had to respect the ideas of the investor as well.

That being said. I would've preferred for them to make the whole tournament on a much smaller scale. Instead of renting I would've tried to host the tournament in someone's garage or something similar to what the basement team has. Instead of buying an expensive screen, I would've chosen to buy a projector. And then try to offer sleeping arrangements in the house for the players. I would've just flown in the players and not any casters. For the food, I would probably have arranged someone from my family to cook for the players. I doubt it would've been a success but from there you could try to start growing slowly. Have enough cash to survive and then maybe be big enough for the release of Age of Empires IV when the interest of supporting a tournament for Microsoft is higher.
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

Hindsight and imagination... I think they did a fantastic job and the only reason it didnt work was the environment and diminishing popularity of aoe3. If Aoe4 turns out to be successful I think the guys showed that they have the right skills to make it work and im sure if they wanted to they could do it again successfully.
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

I guess there's no big difference between a projector and a big screen, but is a projector even cheaper than a screen ? I'm not that sure.

Hosting the tournament in someone's garage is not really possible. How many people can you fill there ? 10, maybe 20 ? Definitely not all the people who were here. I guess flying the casters wasn't necessary, but from what I heard, the first aoe2 LAN didn't go well so they wanted to be professional.
As for the food, they kinda had to considering people paid for it, and it was great.

So all in all, they maybe could have saved money by not flying the casters and getting 2-6 players at their house, but that would have been less professional.
Anyway, from what I read, the aoe3 LAN wasn't a disaster, the big issue was the aoe2 LAN.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Black_Duck wrote:Hindsight and imagination... I think they did a fantastic job and the only reason it didnt work was the environment and diminishing popularity of aoe3. If Aoe4 turns out to be successful I think the guys showed that they have the right skills to make it work and im sure if they wanted to they could do it again successfully.
LAN quality was just as good as any professional game like Lol, CSGO or SC2, but it unfortunately didn't work with aoe2 and aoe3 :(
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:I guess there's no big difference between a projector and a big screen, but is a projector even cheaper than a screen ? I'm not that sure.

Hosting the tournament in someone's garage is not really possible. How many people can you fill there ? 10, maybe 20 ? Definitely not all the people who were here. I guess flying the casters wasn't necessary, but from what I heard, the first aoe2 LAN didn't go well so they wanted to be professional.
As for the food, they kinda had to considering people paid for it, and it was great.

So all in all, they maybe could have saved money by not flying the casters and getting 2-6 players at their house, but that would have been less professional.
Anyway, from what I read, the aoe3 LAN wasn't a disaster, the big issue was the aoe2 LAN.
What happened at the AoE2 LAN?
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Lukas_L99 wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:I guess there's no big difference between a projector and a big screen, but is a projector even cheaper than a screen ? I'm not that sure.

What happened at the AoE2 LAN?
I just watched a few games so can't tell what happened. I just heard that the aoe2 LAN was much more expensive than the aoe3 LAN and that they barely got more money, thus they lost a lot of money.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

You can probably buy a second hand projector for pocket money really. In terms of making this happen again, I'd guess the biggest expense is people flying there and renting an appartment and stuff. If everyone adds in 50 bucks or sth, I'm sure there are quite some possibilities when it comes to renting some place for this and setting up some of the stuff.