Why no naming and shaming known hackers?

No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Why no naming and shaming known hackers?

Post by Astaroth »

As I understand it, ESOC doesn't allow cheating accusations. I get that you guys can't ban ppl from ESO and that cheating accusations can be unfair and/or toxic. But they also have an advantage: They allow others to add known cheaters to their pest list or their friend list to e.g. avoid QS when these guys are online and not in game. Ofc this doesn't matter for EP, but many ppl still play on RE, if just for a lack of EP players.

Note that I'm just talking about clear and obvious hacks like unit spawning, which can be proven via agecommunity stats etc. Other things like OOS/freeze/droptrick obviously can't be proven (as easily) so it's better to avoid discussion.

What do you think?
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Why no naming and shaming known hackers?

Post by tedere12 »

:hmm:
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

We've had this discussion many times. TLDR; this is a big resource drain and isn't as easy as making a list of cheaters. We prefer to focus on hosting great events and maintaining the EP rather than this.
mad cuz bad
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Toxicity, useless work for mods, cheaters defending themselves, flame wars, etc etc etc

E.g. "french consulate bugged and spawned 20 cdb

ESOC should be a positive place where we can reinforce our community. Not a grim market square where we hang criminals for petty crimes.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I agree cheaters should be named. One of the worst esoc rules of all time imo
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Not a grim market square where we hang criminals for petty crimes.
Like bumping threads
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

evilcheadar wrote:I agree cheaters should be named. One of the worst esoc rules of all time imo
Cheaters or cheaders?
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

thomasgreen6 wrote:
evilcheadar wrote:I agree cheaters should be named. One of the worst esoc rules of all time imo
Cheaters or cheaders?
If a cheadar cheats, he needs to be named
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Toxicity, useless work for mods, cheaters defending themselves, flame wars, etc etc etc

ESOC should be a positive place where we can reinforce our community. Not a grim market square where we hang criminals for petty crimes.
Well, if someone is clearly cheating (agecomm stats of multiple games), then just ban him from the site? Then there won't be any arguments. I really don't see why cheaters should be protected.

If anything, the community should guard itself from cheaters by warning unsuspecting players from entering into games with cheaters.

E.g just look at sth like this which I found inspired by a recent thread, absolutely ridiculous: http://www.agecommunity.com/stats/GameS ... _Supremacy

This guy hosts and joins games on RE regularly and it's not even allowed to warn the community about him here?! Or are you just going to tell everyone even at like sub pr 25 to play EP where nobody ever plays games most times?
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Cheaters are certainly banned from tournaments. As for using the site, every case is special.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

@Astaroth Well, in that particular case, that user is actually banned from every ESOC platform. Banned from forums, events, ESOCTV twitch, and discord...
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Post by Shikari »

Cassador is a cheater? Didn't knew. No wonder I didn't liked the guy.
Serbia ShinkuroYukinari
Dragoon
ESO: ShinkuroYukinari
Clan: BANIN

Post by ShinkuroYukinari »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Not a grim market square where we hang criminals for petty crimes.
Think of it as Sunday entertainment :mrgreen:
My signature was removed, MOD ABUSE!
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

It's because the ESOC team members are all hackers and cheaters as well :maniac:
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I will just say what my policy has been for a while now. If there is some magically group of trustworthy and active ESOCians that wanna spend their time digging through evidence and making a list of confirmed cheaters, be my guest. The staff doesn't want to do it because it's an unrewarding task. Cheaters can make unlimited accounts and your pest list can only hold so much. Recordings and screenshots can be easily faked, so gathering evidence is also a tedious task.

The reason we don't allow accusations is because it would make ESOC a toxic place without any resolution, especially since it's so easy to fake evidence. The reason we don't make a blacklist behind the scenes is because it is pointless and nobody wants (or should) do it.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Btw, is there a hack that prevents your native scout from going into stealth mode in certain areas of the map? I was playing a guy and I tried putting my native scout into stealth a couple of times, but it didnt work quitr a few times, even after running around a bit. His explorer wasnt nearby, nor was a TC or fort. He didn't have a native scout of his own.

It worked eventually, but only like 3 screens away.
Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Post by Aizamk »

Astaroth wrote:Btw, is there a hack that prevents your native scout from going into stealth mode in certain areas of the map? I was playing a guy and I tried putting my native scout into stealth a couple of times, but it didnt work quitr a few times, even after running around a bit. His explorer wasnt nearby, nor was a TC or fort. He didn't have a native scout of his own.

It worked eventually, but only like 3 screens away.
Yes, he was probably spawning spyglasses.
oranges.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Thanks!

Sucks, though. I don't even mind losing games, but losing to cheating just blows. Makes me want to play on ep only, but I have so little time to play that I can't wait for hours for a game and also lack the practice (and skill, probably) to compete with most players there...
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon
ESO: Blastkiller

Post by Blastkiller »

n0el wrote:We've had this discussion many times. TLDR; this is a big resource drain and isn't as easy as making a list of cheaters. We prefer to focus on hosting great events and maintaining the EP rather than this.
note that at least 70% of people definitely play on RE, it would be. It is to make the EP known and to encourage them to play on the EP
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon

Post by Blastkiller »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Toxicity, useless work for mods, cheaters defending themselves, flame wars, etc etc etc

here then we start by removing hackers and smurfs and then, since there is no reason to talk about them and then not other threads will be born
No one will escape from me, from my Russians, neither a troll nor a hacker nor a smurf, they will all give days in front of my strelets
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Blastkiller wrote:

here then we start by removing hackers and smurfs and then, since there is no reason to talk about them and then not other threads will be born
You can always post your evidence to the SCC if you want to, it won't get removed there.
Italy Blastkiller
Dragoon

Post by Blastkiller »

edeholland wrote:
Blastkiller wrote:

You can always post your evidence to the SCC if you want to, it won't get removed there.
I inserted it in the favorite pages :chinese: