Which laptop to buy for aoe3

No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Which laptop to buy for aoe3

Post by manwithoutname »

I have a desktop and a work laptop for all other purposes, but I am thinking of buying a laptop merely for aoe3, since I don't like the big screen on my desktop/ have to share it with my girlfriend.

So bearing in mind that I would pretty much only use it for aoe3, what do you think would be the best bang for my buck out of all laptops that are currently on the market?

Thank you for sharing your view!
Armenia Sargsyan
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: lamergamer
Clan: c0ns

Re: Which laptop to buy for aoe3

Post by Sargsyan »

ASUS ROG Chimera
krichk wrote:For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge Challenger_Marco
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

You are looking for a laptop to play a 15 year old game. Just take the cheapest you can find with a mediocre graphics board and an acceptable display. You can easily use a 5 year old second-hand laptop.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

honestly just buy whatever is available in second-hand market
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

My previous laptop was an asus and it seemed to work quite well. Now I have an acer and it feels pretty shit overall. But like people said, you don't need a great laptop to play aoe3
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

if sharing a bigger screen on the table with gf is a concern i think it would be a wiser investment to get a bigger better table and another monitor so that you can both be highly productive simultaneously
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

Kaiserklein wrote:My previous laptop was an asus and it seemed to work quite well. Now I have an acer and it feels pretty shit overall. But like people said, you don't need a great laptop to play aoe3
from asus to acer is huge downgrade usually. my friend had 2 acer laptops broken in ~2,5 years.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

harcha wrote:if sharing a bigger screen on the table with gf is a concern i think it would be a wiser investment to get a bigger better table and another monitor so that you can both be highly productive simultaneously
Simultaneously with the same desktop?
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

Kaiserklein wrote:My previous laptop was an asus and it seemed to work quite well. Now I have an acer and it feels pretty shit overall. But like people said, you don't need a great laptop to play aoe3
Good to know, any preference for screen size?
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

The real question is: which laptop to buy for Minesweeper?!?!
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

And do I need a separate video card, or would any intel graphics suffice?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme

Post by harcha »

intel unfortunately is still not enough for this game, suggest you get one with dedicated graphics. perhaps vega 3 is an option???
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

If you want to buy a computer just for aoe3, I would honestly suggest a desktop. You get like twice the specs for your money. My 2012 desktop for example still works great nowadays. Especially the processor still holds up. It's also way easier to maintain or change components for a desktop.
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

RefluxSemantic wrote:If you want to buy a computer just for aoe3, I would honestly suggest a desktop. You get like twice the specs for your money. My 2012 desktop for example still works great nowadays. Especially the processor still holds up. It's also way easier to maintain or change components for a desktop.

Thanks for the reply, but I have nowhere to elegantly store a second desktop at this time so I will stick with a laptop. My main concern is whether it should have a separate video card.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Post by musketeer925 »

Although the game would theoretically run just fine on integrated graphics, integrated graphics were barely a thing in 2005 when the game was released, and so it sometimes doesn't work very well with them - shaders sometimes don't render correctly, especially on the higher graphics settings. I think this is especially a problem with Intel, as Intel was not really in the graphics game at the time. AMD integrated graphics may be a bit more compatible.
No Flag kami_ryu
Retired Contributor

Post by kami_ryu »

I wouldn't buy a laptop second hand at all these days. It's probably got a lot of dust accumulated on the inside.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Get a Razer like any normal kid.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

kami_ryu wrote:I wouldn't buy a laptop second hand at all these days. It's probably got a lot of dust accumulated on the inside.
Agreed I would not buy a used laptop. I assume someone who's buying a computer purely to play aoe3 is relatively affluent, you can just get a low end gaming laptop in the 600$ish range that will last and play aoe3 just fine. Something like this I guess.

https://www.newegg.com/p/1TS-000D-076W2 ... A0SAM70543
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

gibson wrote:
kami_ryu wrote:I wouldn't buy a laptop second hand at all these days. It's probably got a lot of dust accumulated on the inside.
Agreed I would not buy a used laptop. I assume someone who's buying a computer purely to play aoe3 is relatively affluent, you can just get a low end gaming laptop in the 600$ish range that will last and play aoe3 just fine. Something like this I guess.

Also if you buy them from companies that resell used devices? Or are you referring to individuals.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

AoE3DE is coming next year, so take that into account if you wanna play it.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

manwithoutname wrote:
gibson wrote:

Also if you buy them from companies that resell used devices? Or are you referring to individuals.
Personally I wouldn't buy a referb computer. However it just depends on your financial situation. You will probably be better off buying a refurb from like newegg than a used one.
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

Do you want the laptop to be able to play AEO3D, AOE4 or just AOE3?
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

Superfly47 wrote:Do you want the laptop to be able to play AEO3D, AOE4 or just AOE3?
Good point, I may want to play 4 as well so maybe I'll consider a new gaming laptop after all.

No idea what aoe3d is though, google tells me it is a definite version, but I don't know what that entails.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

manwithoutname wrote:No idea what aoe3d is though, google tells me it is a definite version, but I don't know what that entails.
No one really knows yet, but there's a remaster of AoE3 almost surely coming next year.
momuuu wrote: ↑theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Germany supernapoleon
Lancer
ESO: Supernapoleon

Post by supernapoleon »

For Aoe3 purpusos only, I would by this one. The specs dont really matter, but I think a big screen is important for rts games.
(
"I'M SOOOOOO GOOD AT THE GAME"
Hazza wrote: "I mad u win cos u get carried all game and have to lame every game"