What is up with some people playing this game?

No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

What is up with some people playing this game?

Post by Astaroth »

A bit of a flame thread, but I won't call any names, so it should be fine.

I am honestly a bit baffled by many of the people who play this game. I mean, aoe3 is a game with a lot of options, there are many different civs, ages, maps, strategies. At the same time, the game is fairly old, offers like zero monetary reward (the biggest streamers can't even close to live off it and the tourneys are small) and there is relatively few players. All of that would make you believe that most people play this game just to chill out a bit, try out strategies and have a good time.

And while that seems true for some players (notable many active ESOC members, like top players, who try cool strats on different maps), on ESO almost the majority of players seems to have some sort of .... issue (?). What makes me think that is their frankly weird and baffling behaviour:

- some people obviously hack (just why? what's the point?) / OOS / drop etc.
- so many people only play like one civ, always do the same strategy or even play the same map every single time (examples: only play otto on RE QS, when it's a water map, do turtle/massive fish boom into abus, when landmap: revolt, every single time for thousands of games / only play India on GP and sepoy rush every single time / only play Germany on GP and do greedy FF every time / only play Spain in QS and do all-in aggro FF every time)
- just generally toxic behaviour, no gg when losing, flaming, taunting 21 21 after winning etc.

Now obviously everyone enjoys different things and what is fun for you might not be for me. But I'd wager that basically no normal person could e.g. play 5000 or even 10.000 games of the exact same settings (which is, including the waiting times etc., like over 3 years of playing Aoe3 every single day for hours) for fun. I could understand it if there was money involved or people were just whoring the top civs because it was their job or there was tournament winnings at stake, but just like that? For no benefit?

So what's up with that? For such an old and relatively dead game there seems to be a remarkable amount of complete and utter weirdos playing it, it seems...

(obviously most people here are nice, normal and different, just making sure :P :santa: )
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Re: What is up with some people playing this game?

Post by Challenger_Marco »

1.hacking is fun for them
2.Well they like it
3.Its not toxic u dont say gg when u lose badly say gg if its really gg :D i only type gg when the game felt interesting or good for me
:nwc:
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

A OMEGALUL E 3
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

the toxicity is just suffocating
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

what is wrong with playing Brits all the time, for real now

be a little more considerate
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

I can understand focusing on one civ, but I dont get it when somebody does essentially the exact same, often quite cheesy build every single time (eg full water lame or otto revolt).
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

bc it's fun to them, easy as that

12/10 Gren rush 24/7 blaze it
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Astaroth wrote:I can understand focusing on one civ, but I dont get it when somebody does essentially the exact same, often quite cheesy build every single time (eg full water lame or otto revolt).
Autism is their superpower.
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

9/10

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

the age old question, is piroshiki an AI program developed by the Japanese in order to take over age of empires? or in fact is he a god among men, who lives to win 1,000,000 games as Spain.
mad cuz bad
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

It's not just him, that's the crazy thing. I can understand one guy who might be a bit autistic, but so many?
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

That's probably the explanation. When I played on ESO for a few weeks, I played this guy who turtled in a corner on Dekkan. I destroyed all his armies a few times, I kept sieging his walls, I aged up to industrial and got gendarmes and petards. He was still hiding vills in small walled up pockets of space on the map, where he built upgraded outposts. Made me waste 40 minutes chasing vills in outposts hidden all over the map.

Many Japs are hikikomori, they live secluded lives in their flats for years. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these players were some of those gods among men who don't leave their flats for weeks.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Kinda sad. So many examples:

- there's one guy who always plays 1v1 unrated as France on GP RE. Why? I dont even know.
- there's another dude who often (always?) plays Saguenay 1v1 unrated as Brits (I think). He then does this massive wall/turtle/outpost waterboom. I played him once and eventually quit because I cba to play against mortar/wall cancer on RE. Note that it was (as always) unrated. I didnt even complain or flame him or anything, just said gg. he then proceeded to spam taunt 21. What's up with him, 5 years old? Mental problem?
- then there's this otto player who always without fail goes full turtle water boom on water maps. he also often talks with these heart symbols. What does he think he is, the friggin Joker? He's playing aoe3 online lol
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

You need to read about the legendary Nikrom, who played AOE3 for more than 7 years and never got above PR 15. I can't be bothered to check through all the pages, but between October 2010 and October 2011 he hasn't won one single 1v1 game. Only maybe 3 team games. He probably has the highest losing streak record of all ESO, a whopping 1753 losses in a row. He probably hasn't won one single game for years. And yet he kept playing a few games per day.

http://aoe3.jpcommunity.com/rating2/pla ... 3&page=212

I have a bit of psychology training, but this defies any scientific explanation. It shows that this species can reach unfathomable levels of persistence and resilience in the face of adversity. 1753 losses in a row for years? No problem, keep playing, one day you will be the top player in a dead game server.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Now go to vanilla to see that there are 5 times more such players compared to TAD. :)

Not just 1 civ or 1 map players, but cheaters too.

This game is a bit of a subculture, it is quite special. Dolan made a good comment about the Japanese players, they were a big community back in the day, many left because they didn't want to play EP.
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

Don't forget the mighty hohihohi and his love affair with texas, where he uses villagers to scout the map like he's playing fuckin' Rise of Nations. He probably gets of by finding 'dem sheeps rather than acutally winning the game.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
No Flag Superfly47
Musketeer
ESO: Superfly47

Post by Superfly47 »

Astaroth wrote:Kinda sad. So many examples:

- there's one guy who always plays 1v1 unrated as France on GP RE. Why? I dont even know.
- there's another dude who often (always?) plays Saguenay 1v1 unrated as Brits (I think). He then does this massive wall/turtle/outpost waterboom. I played him once and eventually quit because I cba to play against mortar/wall cancer on RE. Note that it was (as always) unrated. I didnt even complain or flame him or anything, just said gg. he then proceeded to spam taunt 21. What's up with him, 5 years old? Mental problem?
- then there's this otto player who always without fail goes full turtle water boom on water maps. he also often talks with these heart symbols. What does he think he is, the friggin Joker? He's playing aoe3 online lol
For the Saguenay Brit, try:

Player: diarouga
Strategy: The Ultimate Defense Aztec Water Boom Turtle with Town Dance
Context: diarouga (Aztec) vs snowww (Britain) on Hudson Bay — The New Year's Classic Round of 8
Watch:

Or

Player: SomppuKunkku
Strategy: Iroquois Fast Industrial Trade Monopoly with Town Dance
Context: SomppuKunkku (Iroquois) vs kynesie (Portugal) on Hudson Bay — The New Year's Classic Round of 8
Watch:
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I like how people assume that those who like to play one type of game are autistic. Perhaps they are just trying to perfect their craft.

No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

oxaloacetate wrote:Don't forget the mighty hohihohi and his love affair with texas, where he uses villagers to scout the map like he's playing fuckin' Rise of Nations. He probably gets of by finding 'dem sheeps rather than acutally winning the game.
Wtf. Just checked his stats, he has a 5 min age up as otto like every game? What the heck.

Does he actually scout with vills every game?
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

YumiW eday
United States of America highiqwarrior
Crossbow
ESO: highiqwarrior

Post by highiqwarrior »

Astaroth wrote:A bit of a flame thread, but I won't call any names, so it should be fine.

I am honestly a bit baffled by many of the people who play this game. I mean, aoe3 is a game with a lot of options, there are many different civs, ages, maps, strategies. At the same time, the game is fairly old, offers like zero monetary reward (the biggest streamers can't even close to live off it and the tourneys are small) and there is relatively few players. All of that would make you believe that most people play this game just to chill out a bit, try out strategies and have a good time.

And while that seems true for some players (notable many active ESOC members, like top players, who try cool strats on different maps), on ESO almost the majority of players seems to have some sort of .... issue (?). What makes me think that is their frankly weird and baffling behaviour:

- some people obviously hack (just why? what's the point?) / OOS / drop etc.
- so many people only play like one civ, always do the same strategy or even play the same map every single time (examples: only play otto on RE QS, when it's a water map, do turtle/massive fish boom into abus, when landmap: revolt, every single time for thousands of games / only play India on GP and sepoy rush every single time / only play Germany on GP and do greedy FF every time / only play Spain in QS and do all-in aggro FF every time)
- just generally toxic behaviour, no gg when losing, flaming, taunting 21 21 after winning etc.

Now obviously everyone enjoys different things and what is fun for you might not be for me. But I'd wager that basically no normal person could e.g. play 5000 or even 10.000 games of the exact same settings (which is, including the waiting times etc., like over 3 years of playing Aoe3 every single day for hours) for fun. I could understand it if there was money involved or people were just whoring the top civs because it was their job or there was tournament winnings at stake, but just like that? For no benefit?

So what's up with that? For such an old and relatively dead game there seems to be a remarkable amount of complete and utter weirdos playing it, it seems...

(obviously most people here are nice, normal and different, just making sure :P :santa: )
1) I notice that most players try to drag out game with kiting tactics, along side the generic fortress age back and forth.
2) Nothing wrong with using taunts, especially when if you won when you werent expecting to (for example, side petard on factories/eco - makes most people below pr 30 rage quit), its better than the fools who taunt spam 31 in the game lobby.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

welcome to the internet
mad cuz bad
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

What is up with some people liebing?
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix