What is up with some people playing this game?

No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Re: What is up with some people playing this game?

Post by manwithoutname »

As someone playing almost exclusively french 1v1 on gp: because I Enjoy it and want to master a civ before I try out others.

This is probably not the most efficient way to progress, buy it's the way I like it and enjoying myself is the point of gaming for me.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

manwithoutname wrote:As someone playing almost exclusively french 1v1 on gp: because I Enjoy it and want to master a civ before I try out others.

This is probably not the most efficient way to progress, buy it's the way I like it and enjoying myself is the point of gaming for me.
I use only Brits to slow down my inevitable decline due to inactivity rather than trying to improve, but similar concept
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

with the unrated matches against 1st liuetenants just dont play them, they only want to play unrated to protect there low rank so that they can continue to bash them. The person who uses love hearts and revolts as otto in quicksearch I beat as 1st liuetenant by going for sioux teepee defense, it must have been so frustrating for him to lose to a 1st lt RE sioux player who rekt his fast revolt attack with the teepee attack card.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Astaroth wrote:only play India and sepoy rush every single time
You just defined my existence in aoe 3.
spoiler
Yeah these kind of things could be annoying..... You just need to learn to give lesser fucks about them. Even i brought up the issue of toxic players into this community by a thread and only received negative feedback. It is just good to consider some people are dickheads but you're there just to have fun and leave that issue right away from your perspective.
oranges.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Yeah because you dont seem toxic at all
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

I like how common the word toxic has become. As if being around "toxic" people will literally kill you
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

_RDX_ wrote:
Astaroth wrote:only play India and sepoy rush every single time
You just defined my existence in aoe 3.
spoiler
Yeah these kind of things could be annoying..... You just need to learn to give lesser fucks about them. Even i brought up the issue of toxic players into this community by a thread and only received negative feedback. It is just good to consider some people are dickheads but you're there just to have fun and leave that issue right away from your perspective.
congratulations on your toxic post #666
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

harcha wrote: congratulations on your toxic post #666
Thank you very much! If that seemed toxic in your perspective, i can't do nothing but agree.
oranges.
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

manwithoutname wrote:As someone playing almost exclusively french 1v1 on gp: because I Enjoy it and want to master a civ before I try out others.

People are assuming you have autism.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Disclosure time: I autistically played one champ (Jhin) for one whole year against bots in LoL. Until a buddy from France pulled me out of it and said: cmon dude, start playing PvP.
Holy shit I was a top player against LoL bots. Every game a penta.
India Shikari
Dragoon
ESO: rahuru

Post by Shikari »

Yeah man the guy who hugs sagueney while playing Brits and goes full water. Quiet irritating I know.
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

Shikari wrote:Yeah man the guy who hugs sagueney while playing Brits and goes full water. Quiet irritating I know.
twingwing or twinwig guy right? just pest him and move on lol JK play ports and go full KYNSEA
:nwc:
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

evilcheadar wrote:

People are assuming you have autism.

:cry:
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer
ESO: Peachrocks

Post by Peachrocks »

This sort of thing is the biggest reason why I stopped playing. There were other reasons too but the point is I only came back now cus someone asked me.

I mean, I guess I can deal with the 'do the same thing 100x' but people got really salty when I did my 'not meta' stuff even if they win/are winning. Presumably because their 'practice' session got thrown off. It just got tiring. This is the sort of thing I stopped playing other games for and I walked right into it again here? Just ugh. Ever since e-sports and streaming became a big deal, players take games, any game regardless of it's output or e-sport scene way too seriously. I mean doing your own thing is fine, each to their own and all that, but when you are toxic and impact on others, not cool.

In this game especially? There's so much content upwards of 80% of the game that simply does not get used and of that maybe 40% of it is extremely niche at best but dare you try use it? You can expect flames 75-90% of the time. I'm just trying to have fun/explore/better my understanding. Nope, not allowed.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Be your own agent!

Just kidding. That's impossible.
No Flag bepsi
Musketeer

Post by bepsi »

Peachrocks wrote: (...) I mean, I guess I can deal with the 'do the same thing 100x' but people got really salty when I did my 'not meta' stuff even if they win/are winning. Presumably because their 'practice' session got thrown off. It just got tiring. This is the sort of thing I stopped playing other games for and I walked right into it again here? Just ugh. Ever since e-sports and streaming became a big deal, players take games, any game regardless of it's output or e-sport scene way too seriously. I mean doing your own thing is fine, each to their own and all that, but when you are toxic and impact on others, not cool.

In this game especially? There's so much content upwards of 80% of the game that simply does not get used and of that maybe 40% of it is extremely niche at best but dare you try use it? You can expect flames 75-90% of the time. I'm just trying to have fun/explore/better my understanding. Nope, not allowed.
I have alluded to this phenomenon in several threads earlier and I'm quite relieved to see other players noting it as well. Basically it is considered ill-mannered to play anything but meta. Post PK clan tournament - where Japanese players made a mockery of the boring medieval tournament style meta - the flood gates opened and all sorts non standard play flourished. The ESOC patch was essentially a reaction to this and served no other purpose than to protect the playstyle of a select pool of anglo-american and Dutch players (think calvinistic/Puritan heartlands). This had a devastating effect since before the patch the purpose of the ESO community was ostensibly to serve as a locus for the aoe3 community in its entirety. Once the patch became the exclusive focal point of the enterprise, vast chunks of players were alienated and quit (and in some cases basically purged).

TL;DR The ESOC patch serves to create a cordon-sanitaire for a small pool of players playing the same meta over and over again. Any deviation in playstyle is considered ill-mannered, may result in effective excommunication and will become anathema in the subsequent patch.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer

Post by Peachrocks »

bepsi wrote:
Peachrocks wrote: (...) I mean, I guess I can deal with the 'do the same thing 100x' but people got really salty when I did my 'not meta' stuff even if they win/are winning. Presumably because their 'practice' session got thrown off. It just got tiring. This is the sort of thing I stopped playing other games for and I walked right into it again here? Just ugh. Ever since e-sports and streaming became a big deal, players take games, any game regardless of it's output or e-sport scene way too seriously. I mean doing your own thing is fine, each to their own and all that, but when you are toxic and impact on others, not cool.

I have alluded to this phenomenon in several threads earlier and I'm quite relieved to see other players noting it as well. Basically it is considered ill-mannered to play anything but meta. Post PK clan tournament - where Japanese players made a mockery of the boring medieval tournament style meta - the flood gates opened and all sorts non standard play flourished. The ESOC patch was essentially a reaction to this and served no other purpose than to protect the playstyle of a select pool of anglo-american and Dutch players (think calvinistic/Puritan heartlands). This had a devastating effect since before the patch the purpose of the ESO community was ostensibly to serve as a locus for the aoe3 community in its entirety. Once the patch became the exclusive focal point of the enterprise, vast chunks of players were alienated and quit (and in some cases basically purged).

TL;DR The ESOC patch serves to create a cordon-sanitaire for a small pool of players playing the same meta over and over again. Any deviation in playstyle is considered ill-mannered, may result in effective excommunication and will become anathema in the subsequent patch.
Yeah my history knoweldge from anything that happened in the last 10 years aside from things that happened within the last 6 months is non-existent. Still that explains a lot actually as well as the reactions I get to some of the threads I used to post as well as the alarming lack of knowledge in general about the game from prominent players. Very few games let you get away with such lapses. It wasn't all bad in terms of the community but in terms of playing? It was horrible. Took forever to get games and when I did 75% of the time I got flamed for my 'silly' nonsense and 15% I got flattened before I could get my strat off.

Some players are far far too comfortable. No game that gets actively patched would allow this alongside so much content redundancy but if they were to try and do something to 'shake things up' then there'd be massive kicking, crying and screaming. Even this latest patch was not without it's resistance and tbh, the changes are relatively mild and as you say 'protect the playstyle'.

I mean my 'reputation' as someone who likes the radical has always been well known and despite this I still got asked for feedback on the patch and whatever and one of my ideas did get taken and I know for a fact there's some people who would like to see more change to 'displace' some comfort but it's not going to happen. Let's just say I'm really hoping Aoe3 DE shakes things up massively. I'm expecting disappointment, but such is life :D.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Peachrocks wrote:This sort of thing is the biggest reason why I stopped playing. There were other reasons too but the point is I only came back now cus someone asked me.

I mean, I guess I can deal with the 'do the same thing 100x' but people got really salty when I did my 'not meta' stuff even if they win/are winning. Presumably because their 'practice' session got thrown off. It just got tiring. This is the sort of thing I stopped playing other games for and I walked right into it again here? Just ugh. Ever since e-sports and streaming became a big deal, players take games, any game regardless of it's output or e-sport scene way too seriously. I mean doing your own thing is fine, each to their own and all that, but when you are toxic and impact on others, not cool.

Did people really get annoyed with you playing with nats, i actually quite enjoyed playing against a different style, or was it people getting annoyed with you trying to buff your specific playstyle by making something that's meant to be niche to be useable versus every strat?

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer

Post by Peachrocks »

Riotcoke wrote:
Peachrocks wrote:This sort of thing is the biggest reason why I stopped playing. There were other reasons too but the point is I only came back now cus someone asked me.

Did people really get annoyed with you playing with nats, i actually quite enjoyed playing against a different style, or was it people getting annoyed with you trying to buff your specific playstyle by making something that's meant to be niche to be useable versus every strat?
Nats isn't what I get flamed for. If I get to use nats successfully, it goes very late where the meta has already played out more or less. Suppose twice was indirectly natives when I got Incan Fusilers that rush round the map at silly speeds. Got flamed once for 'playing water' as a civ that doesn't traditionally go water as ridiculous as that sounds. Some of my Otto play got flamed because 'I didn't attack early' because heaven forbid I tried to play around with their economic options while they 'prepare' for the meta strat that isn't coming.

I'm not counting that stuff you refer to. It wasn't the reason I left/stopped playing. Though really the sheer resistance to mere idea of boosting natives despite how awful they are is sort of relevant to my point and the fact certain people derailed my threads despite having woeful levels of knowledge on the subject to the point where I just didn't want to do them anymore. Yeah. I feel like I very much got 'purged' as Bepsi puts it.

Also I might add that you are straw manning. I use strats regardless of their viability. That doesn't mean I want things I use to be boosted to the point where they are always viable. As a matter a fact that's the LAST thing I want because then I have to go and find something else to use/be known for. I used statistical data to really reinforce just how bad most of the units are but fact is most people don't care and the general vibe is that they have the potential to 'upset the meta' so let's leave them alone to serve as literal obstacles most of the time. But whatever, I was done with this argument 3 months ago.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

This must be confirmation bias. I almost never get flamed for doing off meta stuff.
Australia Peachrocks
Lancer

Post by Peachrocks »

RefluxSemantic wrote:This must be confirmation bias. I almost never get flamed for doing off meta stuff.
I tallied it up. It really isn't in my case. Some people told me it's more to do with the level I'm at which may or may not be true, but really, that combined with how long it took me to get a game, it was extremely off putting.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

What is the link between people who flamed you and with esoc patch ? i dont get it.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Peachrocks wrote:
RefluxSemantic wrote:This must be confirmation bias. I almost never get flamed for doing off meta stuff.
I tallied it up. It really isn't in my case. Some people told me it's more to do with the level I'm at which may or may not be true, but really, that combined with how long it took me to get a game, it was extremely off putting.
It's somewhat "logical" people get upset though. The thing is that the meta we have nowadays is based on hundreds of small assumptions. Whenever you do a meta build order, it should be based on the assumptions that your opponent can't do the strats that kill. That is, you know that you can scout in time for the rushes and transition out of your original gameplan, or you know that the rushes lose very hard if you don't play greedily, so you know your opponent won't do that. Current BOs are often extremely greedy, and people cut lots of corners (and sometimes just avoid match ups where they can) because they know they can assume their opponent won't do a silly thing (and if their opponent does, they can adapt to it).

To illustrate this, in Dutch vs France I often still scout if France is doing xbow pike. I do that because I know that if I just blindly do my normal build order, xbow pike is just going to kill me. But I can still do that normal build order, because I also know that xbow pike is very easy to beat if I scout for it in time and adapt to it correctly. This is actually pretty ridiculous do take into consideration, because nobody will actually xbow pike rush you.

Now the "problem" is that when people learn the game, they tend to learn from the higher levels of play which always follow the meta. So basically people come in and learn the meta. So they learn that you can be very greedy as Dutch against France. They never learn that this is possible because you scout for and adapt against Xbow pike rushes. They basically don't have to learn that either, because the chances are they won't ever face it. This effect is really strong in aoe3 because I feel like even many of the pros have been formed by the meta and sometimes they don't even completely understand all the assumptions that lead to the meta. Many players were never around for the older metas, so they just learned that the game works in a certain way and follow that.

It can then be pretty frustrating to, in your eyes, be doing everything correctly to then lose to something that "shouldn't work". The reality is that they never learned exactly why that thing should not work, but it can feel frustrating. They put in lots of effort to learn the things that are supposed to be good and it might feel to them (and even be the case) that you didn't put in the same effort and are just doing a random strat. I get where that frustration comes from. It's also hard to actually learn this stuff, because you'll never really learn it from the good players, you really have to somehow figure it out yourself. I don't know what rank you are, but I can imagine that around 2nd lt - 1st lt this is especially frustrating. You might know the meta better than others but somehow not have the skill to get at higher ranks, and then you'll be losing to random strats because knowing the meta doesn't help you against those.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Peachrocks wrote:
bepsi wrote:

Yeah my history knoweldge from anything that happened in the last 10 years aside from things that happened within the last 6 months is non-existent. Still that explains a lot actually as well as the reactions I get to some of the threads I used to post as well as the alarming lack of knowledge in general about the game from prominent players. Very few games let you get away with such lapses. It wasn't all bad in terms of the community but in terms of playing? It was horrible. Took forever to get games and when I did 75% of the time I got flamed for my 'silly' nonsense and 15% I got flattened before I could get my strat off.

Some players are far far too comfortable. No game that gets actively patched would allow this alongside so much content redundancy but if they were to try and do something to 'shake things up' then there'd be massive kicking, crying and screaming. Even this latest patch was not without it's resistance and tbh, the changes are relatively mild and as you say 'protect the playstyle'.

I mean my 'reputation' as someone who likes the radical has always been well known and despite this I still got asked for feedback on the patch and whatever and one of my ideas did get taken and I know for a fact there's some people who would like to see more change to 'displace' some comfort but it's not going to happen. Let's just say I'm really hoping Aoe3 DE shakes things up massively. I'm expecting disappointment, but such is life :D.
Which reminds me: Although I did credit you, in the beta forum, I apologize for forgetting to do so, post-release. Updated release post comments accordingly!
:flowers: