Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Re: The thread about hand cavalry

Post by Hazza54321 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:

Or the fight at 2:02:35 , i know theres some trees but realistically 15 vet huss should kill more than 1 gurkha its fucking 3.4k res, its stupid that this game favours just spamming ranged shit like bots.
To be fair, what's also going on is that you have a bunch of essentially useless ruyters here. Also, India had really strong Gurka, with a 10/10% upgrade and a mansabar unit in the mix, which made the fight deceptively close. If all those ruyters had been skirms and hussars you'd have cleaned up though. I think this is also partially an example of just not having the critical mass of hussars.
True the 2nd fight had too many ruyter but realistically that many res into huss should kill at least a few gurkhas before going down not complete wiped. I didn’t expect to get the best trade, just to wittle down some of the gurkhas. If you think how much res those huss are compared to gurkha and zamb youd think theyd kill more than 1 gurkha positioning or not.
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re:

Post by tedere12 »

Lecastete wrote:
tedere12 wrote:you should pull back the hus and take free shots on the clubs that walk in front of yumi mass.
Every time you do that you lose 2 huss to yumi dps
hus are supposed to tank ranged infantry shots lol and skirms do really well at picking heavy infantry. Ik yumi are strong but no point in exaggerating
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

tedere12 wrote:
Lecastete wrote:
tedere12 wrote:you should pull back the hus and take free shots on the clubs that walk in front of yumi mass.
Every time you do that you lose 2 huss to yumi dps
hus are supposed to tank ranged infantry shots lol and skirms do really well at picking heavy infantry. Ik yumi are strong but no point in exaggerating
I agree with you but yumi type units are exceptions, same with carded forest prowlers and longbows to some extend

France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

This first its more becouse of yumi, rather becouse of cav sux imo. Yumi have too hight dps vs cav for theirs cost (like RI from nilla for old peaple :D )
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Really Yumi don’t do that much damage to cav until you get upgrades like Yumi Attack. I don’t think that was really the issue.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Just because we shouldn't let confirmation bias run wild:

A fight with hussars that goes well despite you being very far behind in army population.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Mitoe wrote:Really Yumi don’t do that much damage to cav until you get upgrades like Yumi Attack. I don’t think that was really the issue.
Yumi are better than any other HI vs cav during the whole game, and more the yumi are upg more they are good (and they can be upg a lot).
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

I have to say this is a really good thread to read over!

My experience with hand cav into goon skirm is primarily iro, where you can abuse their three powerful cav shipments and stack them up until you can take a good engagement, all without killing your stable production. Though, once your prowlers are carded you hardly need any musket riders it seems...

I shall have to practice kaisers micro tips on cav surround
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

It went well because of the 5 strads flank tbh he didn’t expect them from there and even then i lost it once the mil pop evened out
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

chronique wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Really Yumi don’t do that much damage to cav until you get upgrades like Yumi Attack. I don’t think that was really the issue.
Yumi are better than any other HI vs cav during the whole game, and more the yumi are upg more they are good (and they can be upg a lot).
Can you explain more stuff to him that he doesnt know already hes very noob
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

I have always argued that goon-type units are too dominant in AOE3. Maybe remove 0.5x from multiplier vs cav. This would obviously make cav more significant which could result adding HI as anticav and more diverse unit comps.
Turkey iamturk
Pro Player
EWT
ESO: iamturk

Post by iamturk »

Theoretically Skirm Goon > Skirm cav goon i dont see how skirm cav goon beats skirm goon. In my experience its always best to switch cav after fighting since u will snipe the anticav. Also before the fight just bait with the cav to kill anticav and then you can go in at some point.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

iamturk wrote:Theoretically Skirm Goon > Skirm cav goon i dont see how skirm cav goon beats skirm goon. In my experience its always best to switch cav after fighting since u will snipe the anticav. Also before the fight just bait with the cav to kill anticav and then you can go in at some point.
This is also my preferred strategy. It seems like a good compromise for me not having much skill.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin

Post by Guigs »

somppukunkku wrote:I have always argued that goon-type units are too dominant in AOE3. Maybe remove 0.5x from multiplier vs cav. This would obviously make cav more significant which could result adding HI as anticav and more diverse unit comps.
More musk type units :hehe:

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Hazza54321 wrote:Yeah I probably overmicro’d but honestly those clubs are so good vs cav that you kinda need to pull some back. I was still expecting to kill at least 1 yumi though for my 4.5k res investment, shoulda just made 5 falcs.
Clubs are indeed good, they have the same stats of Aztec puma lancer. They hav 10%rr tho which means cav do full damage vs them. Another reason to keep your cav fighting.
Lecastete wrote:
Hazza54321 wrote:Yeah I probably overmicro’d but honestly those clubs are so good vs cav that you kinda need to pull some back. I was still expecting to kill at least 1 yumi though for my 4.5k res investment, shoulda just made 5 falcs.
everything in his compo is good vs cav ahah just ridiculous how a mass of yumi dps all your cav while you can sack 80% of the anti cav
Yes but this is much more true vs huss. Vs better cav it's not quite like that.
iamturk wrote:Theoretically Skirm Goon > Skirm cav goon i dont see how skirm cav goon beats skirm goon. In my experience its always best to switch cav after fighting since u will snipe the anticav. Also before the fight just bait with the cav to kill anticav and then you can go in at some point.
In theory it's the opposite. 3 unit combo wins. In practice cav switch often fails. Then again it's more about player's fault. Skirm-cav alone if played aggressively from early already beats skirm-goon since it's the direct counter.
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

In practice though skirm cav doesnt really beat skirm goon due to the sheer cost of cav means other dude has more skirms. Some good kiting and hes bound to get a good trade.
Turkey iamturk
Pro Player
EWT
ESO: iamturk

Post by iamturk »

I can agree 5 cav 5 skirms beats 5 goon 5 skirm because u dont have enough dps to kill cav. If numbers are low Skirm cav beats Skirm goon but higher numbers skir goon just owns skir cav.
France Guigs
Tournament Admin

Post by Guigs »

Hazza54321 wrote:In practice though skirm cav doesnt really beat skirm goon due to the sheer cost of cav means other dude has more skirms. Some good kiting and hes bound to get a good trade.
I think it's more about the follow up, skirm cav dude will reduce the number or opponent skirm while having his own mass of skirms untouched. So I guess you end up with skirm vs goon mostly but yeah in practice it doesn't seem to be a good trade cost wise

Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

Yeah i get that but like you said its usually a bad trade. Also lets not forget that leaves you open to be cav’d when your huss mass dies as basically youd only have skirms left , maybe a max 10 goons otw .
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

so am i the only one who thinks hand cav should be buffed in general or?
Suriname kaister
Lancer
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: I Date My Cousin

Post by kaister »

do age 2 boyars Cossacks need a buff? no. does anything else against full yumi get deleted? yes.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Hazza54321 wrote:so am i the only one who thinks hand cav should be buffed in general or?
I think you are. Honestly on TAD hand cav is very dominant.
Image Image Image
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player

Post by Hazza54321 »

https://clips.twitch.tv/PatientSparklingGarlicHeyGuys

Perfect line, no pathing issues 30 high dps infantry in the back. Lose 7 cav but killed about 2 yumis. Still dont know if im doing something wrong.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

If you look at it your infantry shoots the explorer then the sentries. Cav does some work but they bump into each other (and they get trolled by the sentries). Also consulate huss have almost no range resistance.
In general you need more cav than that for a clean up. You would have cleaned up if infantry was shooting the yumis all the time.
Image Image Image
No Flag howlingwolfpaw
Jaeger

Post by howlingwolfpaw »

I think the problem is that skirms are too fast when running away from hand cav. Hand cav should either snare infantry (not HI) or give a bonus on each attack if unit has its back to it. This basically makes cav very inefficient as it has to chase down its enemy that can walk and reload (really bad mechanic, do skirms need a reload animation like bows have? maybe yes but make it after the shot not before) at the same time to turn n shoot or just run from cav that should be 2-3 times as fast as skirms vs the 50% speed they get. If however they choose to stay and fight, cav do very well vs everything except HI.

Another problem is crackshot.... India can lose huge investment for cheesy mechanic.