Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Re: aoe3 world cup

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Cometk wrote:i unironically think UK would win it
Doubt it, unless you ban kynesie.
Kynesie got himself banned. Don't blame us.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Kaiserklein wrote:It's a fun idea but like Incog said it's probably just another EPL. Except it's with people who don't necessarily get along well, and with very imbalanced teams.
It's true, I remember when the French football squad outright started striking during the world championship of 2010. France may look good on paper, but they wouldn't survive the scheduling thread.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:It's a fun idea but like Incog said it's probably just another EPL. Except it's with people who don't necessarily get along well, and with very imbalanced teams.
It's true, I remember when the French football squad outright started striking during the world championship of 2010. France may look good on paper, but they wouldn't survive the scheduling thread.
That was the most entertaining world cup ever.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

oats13 wrote:I think the way it would have to work would be that the higher seeded team nominates their player/s for each match first so that the other team could bin a lower seeded player in order to secure a better match for their best player.
Nah, that's just dumb. The way it should work is you put your best players at the top, just like it works in every 1v1 game.
Maybe also they have 5 players with one as a sub and they have to use the sub in one match at least so that a team could sub in a player vs kaiser etc and try to win the second seed match or sth.
That's just dumb. The point of this isn't to have only one sided matches because one team wants to cheat. With that system, 2 pr20 + 2 pr0 would be as good as 2 pr50 + 2pr0 which doesn't make sense at all. Isn't the goal of a tourney to find out who's the best ?
I'm not really massive about the idea but I would donate £250 to it if it happens, no harm in work-shopping rules for future reference should it ever become more feasible.
Still haven't heard an argument that explains how a world cup is better than EPL. As kaiser said, the teams will be unbalanced and the team synergy not too great.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Cometk wrote:yeah UK would win it
Well, if we were to face each other by elo it would be
kaiser hazza
rouga Sam
kynesie TLS
Tit (or castete) not sure who

Most likely ending in a 4-0 score for France

Then hazza+sam vs kaiser+rouga
tls+4th play vs titnesie

Most likely ending 1-1

UK would most likely win the 3v3 and no idea how the 4v4 would go.

In the end, it would be something like 5-2 for France. Of course, shit happens and it can be quite random but France would still be the big favourite considering UK doesn't really have a 4th player and France is better in 1v1.
And to think I hired you!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

WickedCossack wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Cometk wrote:yeah UK would win it
Well, if we were to face each other by elo it would be
kaiser hazza
rouga Sam
kynesie TLS
Tit (or castete) not sure who

Most likely ending in a 4-0 score for France

Then hazza+sam vs kaiser+rouga
tls+4th play vs titnesie

Most likely ending 1-1

UK would most likely win the 3v3 and no idea how the 4v4 would go.

In the end, it would be something like 5-2 for France. Of course, shit happens and it can be quite random but France would still be the big favourite considering UK doesn't really have a 4th player and France is better in 1v1.
And to think I hired you!
Oh shit, forgot one brit guy :o
Then it would actually be quite close
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
oats13 wrote:I think the way it would have to work would be that the higher seeded team nominates their player/s for each match first so that the other team could bin a lower seeded player in order to secure a better match for their best player.
Nah, that's just dumb. The way it should work is you put your best players at the top, just like it works in every 1v1 game.
Maybe also they have 5 players with one as a sub and they have to use the sub in one match at least so that a team could sub in a player vs kaiser etc and try to win the second seed match or sth.
That's just dumb. The point of this isn't to have only one sided matches because one team wants to cheat. With that system, 2 pr20 + 2 pr0 would be as good as 2 pr50 + 2pr0 which doesn't make sense at all. Isn't the goal of a tourney to find out who's the best ?
I'm not really massive about the idea but I would donate £250 to it if it happens, no harm in work-shopping rules for future reference should it ever become more feasible.
Still haven't heard an argument that explains how a world cup is better than EPL. As kaiser said, the teams will be unbalanced and the team synergy not too great.
It's not dumb- it directly addresses your concerns in the previous post, I'm just throwing ideas about here as to how it could be more interesting and not just a stomp for high seeds.

K make it just like epl but without the draft is fine by me I'm just 'running it up the pole'.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

I think French would be favourite in both matchups, because kaiser is a massive nerd. German has more firepower though but their gunpowder is rusty. UK vs France would be mostly about if diarouga can perform after inactivity.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I still dont get why esoc would do this, its just like EPL but inherently less balanced, so why not just do the more balanced version.
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

entertainement
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Mosx wrote:entertainement
How is it more entertaining than the same tourney with better rules, more teams and more interesting match-ups ?
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

Whole idea is to make a fun world cup where there might be an upset.
We hold these truths to be self-evident. All men and women created by the you know, you know the thing.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

oats13 wrote:Whole idea is to make a fun world cup where there might be an upset.
I'm sorry but I just can't get the point. How is it more fun than EPL ? There are big upsets in EPL as well, and I just cannot see a country that could beat France, UK or Germany really...
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Austria is pretty good :)
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Wait what the fuck, NA?!
Italy Mosx
Dragoon
ESO: Mosx

Post by Mosx »

sometimes in the world there are top players disadvantaged by their nationality look messi or cristiano ronaldo or maradona that you have never won a golden ball because his club was not the height of international clubs
the rules must be the same for everyone, this does not mean that they are beneficial to everyone in the usual way if you compare this to aoe3 its simalar i guess
op mechanics, op build order :export: :coin: :ugly: :uglylol: :maniac:

https://www.twitch.tv/mosxgr
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Cometk wrote:Austria is pretty good :)
Knusch, Osmane and Jeri ? That's only 3 players. Also they're good for sure, but not as good as France, UK or Germany. I doubt they could create an upset.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Cometk wrote:Wait what the fuck, NA?!
NA is not a country bro...
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Team Asia, w/ Turk, breeze, & Aiz
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Team Mediterranean, w/ Turk, breeze, and Garja
Retired Contributor

Post by Cometk »

Scandinavia w/ the buli brothers & tabben
Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
oats13 wrote:Whole idea is to make a fun world cup where there might be an upset.
I'm sorry but I just can't get the point. How is it more fun than EPL ? There are big upsets in EPL as well, and I just cannot see a country that could beat France, UK or Germany really...
Well that's why I suggested what I did before, to be honest making seeded teams declare first might not be fair but both sides declaring their player order simultaneously would make for excitement.

Maybe the teams you suggest would win it and maybe it wouldn't be more fun than the EPL but the nationalities would add extra spice to it and it would at least be some fun.

Btw I put N.A for obvious reason xd.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Well, that's what happened for Nation War but then it's not a world cup anymore. Also it kinda ruined the format... I remember Incog first allowed Canada and the US to team, then some other countries started teaming and it soon became a mess. Why couldn't you make a Germany/France team or a UK/France team then? A clan war would be better than this...

Thinking about it, there is an interesting event in Starcraft 2 during the gsl vs the world event where the best foreigner and the best korean team against each other and they each pick alternatively a player among the 14 remaining players. Then they play 1v1s with the proleague format, that could be interesting although EPL is probably better.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

I can team with @Mitoe and whoever else is from Canada :D
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Great Britain oats13
Lancer

Post by oats13 »

If it came to it and people didn't want N.A. then it would be better to just make it nations then, it is fine by me.

I stress again this wasn't even my original idea and it's not my baby but I'd happily help out and stump up some cash for it.