Official "Can I Win This Fight?" Thread

United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Re: Official "Can I Win This Fight?" Thread

Post by _H2O »

Yeah easy drag I’m not a fan of. I like to be able to select whatever I want but it may be better in most situations to use military drag for simplicity.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I got used to easy drag mostly because when you play germany you always have uhlans popping in your vils and it's annoying lol. I think either way is fine, easy drag or not.
chronique wrote:Its not working properly becouse sometime i cant release the box (i dont know how explain that, its realy weird, the white box don't diseaper and nothing are selected).
This is a sad bug that happens when you hold alt and dragbox "out of your screen". Like if you touch the screen border with the box. Anyway with just one left click on the map the bug will be fixed
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Kaiserklein wrote:I got used to easy drag mostly because when you play germany you always have uhlans popping in your vils and it's annoying lol.
Just have different waypoint for military units from TC.
Image Image Image
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

What I'm saying is I got used to using it. As in, back when I was a nilla pr30 or whatever. I cba to change my habits, just like I won't ever use hotkeys to prod units or to change units stance I guess.
Anyway, I often use a different waypoint for military nowadays, yeah
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

Double click is great.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Garja wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:I got used to easy drag mostly because when you play germany you always have uhlans popping in your vils and it's annoying lol.
Just have different waypoint for military units from TC.
Yep. Can't believe some people haven't figured this out. Noob.
Sweden Victor_swe
Lancer
Donator 01

Post by Victor_swe »

Kaiserklein wrote:What I'm saying is I got used to using it. As in, back when I was a nilla pr30 or whatever. I cba to change my habits, just like I won't ever use hotkeys to prod units or to change units stance I guess.
Anyway, I often use a different waypoint for military nowadays, yeah
I also said i wont ever change my habits and cba use hotkeys for produce units. Then H2O flamed The shit out of me for being a noob like flooky and I changed it. Thanks ryxx
Dead hunts cant walk....

BrookG - "There is a G in everyone"
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

No problem! Don’t be lazy!
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Here's some vill ponch base defense with ez drag military, which I'll never turn off, and I'll never use alt drag either:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/560660324

Looking for feedback that isn't only "just have more apm." Also I have alt mapped to my mouse, so every time I press it to see hp my mouse moves a little. I'm wondering if this is affecting my mouse precision in micro-intensive fights.

I think I lost 3 vills
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Tbh what would be way more fun than TTM is some sort of vill ponch defense. Set up identical situations of actual games where great micro won a fight.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Like this fight:

This is one of my favorite aoe3 moments
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Honestly watching @Guigs closely today when he was streaming, I was really impressed with his micro. He hit and runs well, and always manages to split fire with goons (swaggin wagons) and skirms every volley, which is not easy. It's basically required with EP ger, which makes it a very hard civ to play now.

The trick I learned, which I should've already known, is to select part of the army and manually click/attack move, then select the entire control group and attack move. It's hard under pressure snared and kiting and you have to be very precise. The resulting split fire is then executed across a few milliseconds, which is well worth they momentary immobility, to kill thrice the units.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

deleted_user wrote:Here's some vill ponch base defense with ez drag military, which I'll never turn off, and I'll never use alt drag either:

Looking for feedback that isn't only "just have more apm." Also I have alt mapped to my mouse, so every time I press it to see hp my mouse moves a little. I'm wondering if this is affecting my mouse precision in micro-intensive fights.

I think I lost 3 vills
Your positioning was good, but it could have been even better. If you put your army between the two manors, the melee area would have beeen about 2 time smaller.
Other than that, the vill pull was super effective but you could have pulled the vills earlier to save more units.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
deleted_user wrote:Here's some vill ponch base defense with ez drag military, which I'll never turn off, and I'll never use alt drag either:

I think I lost 3 vills
Your positioning was good, but it could have been even better. If you put your army between the two manors, the melee area would have beeen about 2 time smaller.
Other than that, the vill pull was super effective but you could have pulled the vills earlier to save more units.
Thanks it hadn't occurred to me to do that even upon rewatch. This thread is very edifying, thanks (no sarcasm at all)
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

deleted_user wrote:Honestly watching @Guigs closely today when he was streaming, I was really impressed with his micro. He hit and runs well, and always manages to split fire with goons (swaggin wagons) and skirms every volley, which is not easy. It's basically required with EP ger, which makes it a very hard civ to play now.

The trick I learned, which I should've already known, is to select part of the army and manually click/attack move, then select the entire control group and attack move. It's hard under pressure snared and kiting and you have to be very precise. The resulting split fire is then executed across a few milliseconds, which is well worth they momentary immobility, to kill thrice the units.
It's a nice trick for sure but keep in mind that positioning is much more important than micro.
From experience, I know that some people focus too much on micro trying to split fire and barely win a fight while a better positioning would have won easily.
I'd say castete as Iro vs China was a good example. His micro was honestly impressive, he managed to hit and run well while splitting his skirm fire but in the end he barely won the fight. With his kanyas/goons in position however, the hit and run would have been much easier and he would have crushed this fight with just attack move.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

This thread proves there's more to microing a fight than one might think, and microing is super important as it can potentially be a 1k-2k res swing, and game winning or losing. Probably not more important than pure macro, but very important nonetheless.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

deleted_user wrote:This thread proves there's more to microing a fight than one might think, and microing is super important as it can potentially be a 1k-2k res swing, and game winning or losing. Probably not more important than pure macro, but very important nonetheless.
Not really. It proves that micro is important when you're totally out of position because you want to get in position with minimal losses.
Being careful (like not overcommiting) is actually more important.
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

deleted_user wrote:Here's some vill ponch base defense with ez drag military, which I'll never turn off, and I'll never use alt drag either...
that's all fine but sometimes you are faced with a defensive scenario when you have vils and military intermixed under your tc. in this case your stubbornness can cause you to miss out on vils punching due to inability to select vils. this is the reason why i keep this setting off: to me it is better to select more stuff than you want instead of less stuff than you want
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Fook it.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
deleted_user wrote:This thread proves there's more to microing a fight than one might think, and microing is super important as it can potentially be a 1k-2k res swing, and game winning or losing. Probably not more important than pure macro, but very important nonetheless.
Not really. It proves that micro is important when you're totally out of position because you want to get in position with minimal losses.
Positioning is a part of micro imo.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

deleted_user wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Positioning is a part of micro imo.
Sure, but for many people, micro is about splitting fire and having a lot of APM. You can have a good positioning with 100 APM, and it's much more important than clicking everywhere.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Fair assessment!
Australia Kawapasaka
ESOC Pro Team

Post by Kawapasaka »

Talking with @zoom about the brooken flag army had me re-watching a recent stream where I didn't train a single skirm or iron flail in a ~30min game vs Russia. It had some pretty interesting fights, would be curious to hear thoughts on the positioning/micro of both players and perhaps whether this would be possible or not without the new army. Interestingly, fight 3 was preceded by the worst score gap (20-30 behind Russia). No upgrade cards were in effect until fight 4 (Territorial Combat, RV). Presumably Russia had boyars for all 4.

Fight 1: https://www.twitch.tv/howtotalkpleasehe ... onDAESuppy

Fight 2: https://www.twitch.tv/howtotalkpleasehe ... TwitchRaid

Fight 3: https://www.twitch.tv/howtotalkpleasehe ... rugulaBIRB

Fight 4: https://www.twitch.tv/howtotalkpleasehe ... zAllenHuhu
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

deleted_user wrote:Honestly watching @Guigs closely today when he was streaming, I was really impressed with his micro. He hit and runs well, and always manages to split fire with goons (swaggin wagons) and skirms every volley, which is not easy. It's basically required with EP ger, which makes it a very hard civ to play now.

whats the point of selecting part of your control group if you gonna attack move them? How is that compared to just attack move with full control group? or is that only to overkill less?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

deleted_user wrote:Like this fight:

This is one of my favorite aoe3 moments
such an nice micro ,most ppl would have panicked to the 9 uhlans and overmicor'd and lost
:nwc: