Old player wanting to return , help needed please

No Flag Awfd
Crossbow

Old player wanting to return , help needed please

Post by Awfd »

Hi all , recently decided I wanted to play AOE 3 and 2 definitive edition as they were my absolute favourite games growing up , however I currently do not have a pc or anything .

Long story short was hoping a kind soul who is more clued up on these things than me, we help suggest a laptop that would be capable of playing the games (from steam). Literally would only be using the laptop for this game and to have family photos on, budget is low , preferably under ÂŁ300 and from a mainstream supplier in the uk (ie pc world etc) is this feesable ? Could anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks to anyone with any advice
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Re: Old player wanting to return , help needed please

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Hi, unfortunately I think this is completely unfeasible for AoE2:DE. It barely runs on my (admittedly older) ~ÂŁ1000 PC. I am quite confident you will not be able to realistically play that game on any ÂŁ300 laptop.
No Flag Awfd
Crossbow

Post by Awfd »

Thanks for the reply , oh really ? That’s disappointing , was kind of assuming as they were older games, a relatively low spec (for modern times) laptop wouldn’t struggle running them , glad I asked now. I still
Have the original cd copies of all versions but figured I’d struggle getting a laptop that would be backwards compatible to that level?
Thanks
No Flag Awfd
Crossbow

Post by Awfd »

Just looked into it a bit more , would be happy with aoe2 hd and aoe 3. Would that be more achievable ?
Thanks
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

I am playing AoE 3 on a new 420€ Laptop on lowest graphic settings. that kind of works
Great Britain RuinousEdge
Musketeer
ESO: Ruinous_Edge

Post by RuinousEdge »

I can comfortably run AoE2:DE and AoE3 through Steam on a acer spin 3 laptop RRPÂŁ600 ish from Argos, and previously on a laptop I got from Argos for RRP ÂŁ290-330 ish range (think it was a hp)
!vikings, glory to Valhalla and GUA!!!!
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

aligator92 wrote:I am playing AoE 3 on a new 420€ Laptop on lowest graphic settings. that kind of works
Same thing, my 400 euros laptop has no trouble running the game even on average graphic settings. It's a second-hand computer though, and quite ugly (but who cares about that, we want power, infinite power)
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Belgium stanleywinston
Dragoon
Beginner Division WinnerDonator 01
ESO: Stanley_Winston

Post by stanleywinston »

I would recommend just building the pc yourself with second-hand products then if your budget is low.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

This is quite a heartwarming thread

@stanleywinston doesn't sound like Awfd has the technical expertise for that.

My suggestion would be to purchase a refurbished laptop, generally new ones are a big rip off. AoE2HD should run fine any any machine in that price range but for DE it could be more challenging.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

Maybe this will help, it lists the minimum and recommend specs https://www.ageofempires.com/buy-now/
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Interjection wrote:Maybe this will help, it lists the minimum and recommend specs https://www.ageofempires.com/buy-now/
I don't know how Microsoft could be so dull and put up these recommended specs.. These GPUs are 8-10 years old! Surely any gpu you can have in your PC or laptop today and up to 5 years ago, would be better than those two listed cards and good enough to run aoe2:DE.
Also why an i5 @ 2,4GHz or higher? An i5 can be anything, from Lynnfield to Sandy Bridge, Skylake, etc.

I think these specs are too low and you would definitely need a beefier setup to play the game well.
@Awfd Does it really have to cost under ÂŁ300 ?
If you could up that number to ÂŁ400, you could get a much better performance per ÂŁ.
No Flag Awfd
Crossbow

Post by Awfd »

Hi all , thanks for responses , seems like a good community here! I could go under £400 but realistically would have to be from somewhere maintstream to do it on credit. Thanks for all advice given , like someone mentioned I’m not too tech savvy in regards to computers so wouldn’t dare build my own , had looked at the specs for the game that asked for a “hsijwnslsjn” graphics card .. frankly I have 0 clue what is better or worse in regards to things like that , and the specs are dated so I can’t just lift them off the website and search for exactly the recommended. Have found a website called bench mark which appears to compare pc’s and say if games will work on them so that may help .

Was a big fan of all the AOE games , even had the Star Wars version (battlegrounds?) my dad used to play them and I have recently set him(72)up on steam so he can play them while he’s on lockdown , thought it would be nice to get a laptop myself so we can play together.

Thanks again for all responses , some
Communities I’ve been part of are terrible and obnoxious , lovely to see a good bunch !
Great Britain thomasgreen6
Lancer
ESO: Thomasgreen6

Post by thomasgreen6 »

My Laptop cost ÂŁ700 and has an i7, MSI GTX1050Ti (4gb) plus a large screen and (supposedly) 11 hours of battery life. I'm sure for under ÂŁ400 you could get the next level down. The best thing to do would be to look up 'budget gaming laptops/pcs for x price and compare the different lists to see which ones come up most often.

With steam you can play the same game over LAN on the same account. I.e if you are both in the same house you can play together with one copy of the game and on one steam account. If not, you will need 2 of both and will need to play over the internet (using ESO in game). As you use your PC more you should become more familiar with things and get better at problem solving. Good luck!
'I'm gonna win this and I'm just gonna enjoy it' - Tibia 2k18

http://www.Twitch.tv/thomasgreen6