Rank RE maps

France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Rank RE maps

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Mitoe wrote:Like Conquerer, I'm only including quick search maps + Northwest Territory cause that map isn't garbage.

1) Mongolia - Lots of fun to play, lots of different things going on: yaks, TPs, free scout, gold mine, short rush distance with all res on top side map. Overall my favourite RE map.
2) Deccan - Pretty fun to play, maybe I'm overrating it a bit.
3) Yucatan - Playable because there's usually lots of resources. The dynamic with the water on both sides can be interesting, and the obstacles around your base. Lots of space behind your base too.
4) Borneo - Honestly this map gets more hate than it deserves. I've had a lot of good games on this map. It could use a couple of extra animals in the first 2-3 hunts and it would be solid.
5) Siberia - Semi-FF. Playable mostly because 2nd tower makes defending your resources much easier, even if far.
6) ESOC New England (RE version is bad) - Lots going on. Fuck RE version with no starting hunt.
7) Araucania - I actually like this map design a lot, but the resource balance is often horrific, so it doesn't get to go any higher than this.
8) Yellow River - Usually fun to play; good strategic diversity--forward base can't take map control.
9) Northwest Territory - Just decent map with a unique design.
10) Yukon - Fun design, sometimes dumb hunts/mines, otherwise cool.
11) Silk Road - Starting market makes this playable. It's not a great map, but it's not bad either.
12) Great Plains - Lost so many games to hunt imbalances. Also middle TP, yuck.
13) Saguenay - Cool map design, but not balanced with the value of the buildings for different civs and especially gold mines and sometimes hunts.
14) Indochina - This map isn't that bad to be honest. Would be much better on EP with better water balance and wall nerfs. Res sometimes imbalanced. A bit like Alaska.
15) Painted Desert - A bit boring, but usually very playable because there's a lot of resources.
16) Himalayas - Not that good. Obstacles are cool.
17) Patagonia - Good design, garbage resource balance.
18) Texas - Unique design, kinda cool, but for some reason really boring to play. Maybe because there's literally nothing to do outside of your base aside from defend your 2nd TP?
19) Great Lakes - Honestly I don't hate the design, but it's just not fun to play on and the resource balance is really bad.
20) California - Just not fun
21) Carolina - Awful hunts, not a fun map
22) Sonora - I like the map design, but there's no starting hunt. It would possibly be very playable with some extra resources.
23) Hispaniola - This map design is a laughable for competitive games. Unherdable hunts, wall middle for 5 - 10 wood.

Edit: Forgot Ozarks. Pretty horrible. Probably below Sonora, above Hispaniola.

Edit2: Forgot Bayou. Probably goes somewhere around 17-20.
So far this is probably the ranking I prefer. Still, I think that Araucania is horrible (it has one of the worst resource balance), and I'm not sure how you can rate Saguenay, PD and Himalayas that low when they have the best resource balance.
I agree that Borneo gets too much hate, it deserves to be ranked that high imo.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Cool thread. I mostly agree with Mitoe

My Top 5:
Mongolia (lot of options, a bit imba for multiscout civs)
Siberia (2nd hunt can be far but generally decent res)
Painted Desert (decent res, no tp)
Seguaney (nice layout, decent res, spawns a bit inconsistent)
Yukon (aggressive map, more consistent than most maps)

I like these 5 but:
Patagonia (great layout but no food)
New England (great layout but sooo inconsistent)
Yucatan (good res and interesting layout but I can't click my crates or mine because the trees are too tall)
Himalaya (quite consistent but not enough res)
Silk Road (unique idea but poor res again)

My Bottom 5:
Carolina (very imbalanced hunt situation)
Ozarks (2nd hunt one screen away, 3rd hunt non-existent)
Sonora (starting hunt may be outside of tc LOS xD, no treasures)
Great Lakes Summer (2nd mine is mid map, 1st mine sometimes does not spawn..., broken tp line)
Hispaniola (high crate start, no hunts, no tp, 50% water, that choke)
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Some of these dont get the credit they deserve. Siberia has very consistent hunts, it is by far my favorite RE map because of that. The tower is a bit annoying, but other than that I think this map has a very low amount of mapscrews. Most importantly, due to the tower you can almkst always protect your 2nd hunt.

Silk Road actually has reasonable consistent hunts too in my experience. Same for himilayas and mongolia. I think these maps are actually significantly more consistent than almost every RE map. Just the fact that you will always have a good first hunt puts them up there already. They all have a pretty big first hunt too and you always have berries.
No Flag hidden_blaze
Musketeer

Post by hidden_blaze »

1. Siberia, basically the esoc map of the re maps
2. Saguenay, can be a bit inconsistent with hunts i guess, also free eco building is kinda random imo
3. Silk road, imo a fine map
4. Yukon, interesting tactical layout
5. Painted desert, good map for civs who don't rely on a tp with plenty of herd
6. Bayou, basically PD with less herds
7. Great plains, it's fine with a fair spawn, but it happens far too often that one side has like 3 bison herds while the other player has 1 pronghorn herd
8. Mongolia, I personally don't see a reason to not pick an Asian civ there, seems a bit one sided in that regard
9. Deccan, probably a fine map, but I personally don't like this have-everything-in-abundance style of map
10. Yellow river, California, Himalayas, ozarks indochina & borneo, i don't have a dedicated opinion on these maps
11. Yucatan, it's basically baja California. No-one likes baja California.
12. Aruacania, small treasures and small herds, nothing exciting. The longest canon shot ever was there iirc, so that's cool
13. Texas, if you're China perhaps
14. Patagonia, I love the design , but there are just no resources
15. New England , no starting herd, horrible pathing due to the lakes, the woods and the ruins, and these two lakes are just annoying imo
16. Great lakes, resources are fine , but i hate the layout
17. Sonora & Hispaniola, why do these maps exist and why are they in the standard map pool?
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Squamiger wrote:I feel like you should only really consider standard RE maps, like ones where you can have a balanced 1v1 and use normal strats. My ranking is:

Great Plains
Saguenay
Siberia
Bayou
Yucatan
Painted Desert
New England
Himalayas
Mongolia
Yellow River
Deccan
Borneo
Indochina
Great Lakes
Sonora

everything else is garbage tier.

controversial picks might be me placing Yucatan and Bayou so high. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I feel like these maps are pretty well balanced and interesting, and have enough food for a lot of strats. I put Deccan low because I feel like it should barely qualify as a standard map, the huge number of starting crates and the weird TP layout makes it pretty unique and so it kinda has its own meta that doesnt apply anywhere else.
Bayou is shit yea xD.
I think GL is underrated. The Winter version has good spawns, and the Summer version has a great design (I have to admit that the spawns are bad...).
GL is quite good unless u have no starting/2nd hunt, sometimes even no starting mine lol (once got only one mine in my side of the map xDDD
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

Squamiger wrote:
vividlyplain wrote: wtf map hax do you have installed?
the good kind that they dont tell you about till you hit 1st lieut
teach me, daddy squamiger
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Like Conquerer, I'm only including quick search maps + Northwest Territory cause that map isn't garbage.

1) Mongolia - Lots of fun to play, lots of different things going on: yaks, TPs, free scout, gold mine, short rush distance with all res on top side map. Overall my favourite RE map.
2) Deccan - Pretty fun to play, maybe I'm overrating it a bit.
3) Yucatan - Playable because there's usually lots of resources. The dynamic with the water on both sides can be interesting, and the obstacles around your base. Lots of space behind your base too.
4) Borneo - Honestly this map gets more hate than it deserves. I've had a lot of good games on this map. It could use a couple of extra animals in the first 2-3 hunts and it would be solid.
5) Siberia - Semi-FF. Playable mostly because 2nd tower makes defending your resources much easier, even if far.
6) ESOC New England (RE version is bad) - Lots going on. Fuck RE version with no starting hunt.
7) Araucania - I actually like this map design a lot, but the resource balance is often horrific, so it doesn't get to go any higher than this.
8) Yellow River - Usually fun to play; good strategic diversity--forward base can't take map control.
9) Northwest Territory - Just decent map with a unique design.
10) Yukon - Fun design, sometimes dumb hunts/mines, otherwise cool.
11) Silk Road - Starting market makes this playable. It's not a great map, but it's not bad either.
12) Great Plains - Lost so many games to hunt imbalances. Also middle TP, yuck.
13) Saguenay - Cool map design, but not balanced with the value of the buildings for different civs and especially gold mines and sometimes hunts.
14) Indochina - This map isn't that bad to be honest. Would be much better on EP with better water balance and wall nerfs. Res sometimes imbalanced. A bit like Alaska.
15) Painted Desert - A bit boring, but usually very playable because there's a lot of resources.
16) Himalayas - Not that good. Obstacles are cool.
17) Patagonia - Good design, garbage resource balance.
18) Texas - Unique design, kinda cool, but for some reason really boring to play. Maybe because there's literally nothing to do outside of your base aside from defend your 2nd TP?
19) Great Lakes - Honestly I don't hate the design, but it's just not fun to play on and the resource balance is really bad.
20) California - Just not fun
21) Carolina - Awful hunts, not a fun map
22) Sonora - I like the map design, but there's no starting hunt. It would possibly be very playable with some extra resources.
23) Hispaniola - This map design is a laughable for competitive games. Unherdable hunts, wall middle for 5 - 10 wood.

Edit: Forgot Ozarks. Pretty horrible. Probably below Sonora, above Hispaniola.

Edit2: Forgot Bayou. Probably goes somewhere around 17-20.
So far this is probably the ranking I prefer. Still, I think that Araucania is horrible (it has one of the worst resource balance), and I'm not sure how you can rate Saguenay, PD and Himalayas that low when they have the best resource balance.
I agree that Borneo gets too much hate, it deserves to be ranked that high imo.
Saguenay has pretty poor resource balance usually. Otherwise I ranked PD low because I think it’s very boring, and Himalayas is fine-ish but also kinda boring.
Singapore ShawnRay223
Crossbow

Post by ShawnRay223 »

Siberia, Andes and Deccan are the best maps on RE.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

plymouth is the worst re map by far both in terms of balance and design
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

You dont like 5 minute botto ff?
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
United States of America Mr_Brightside
Crossbow
ESO: 16winklejo

Post by Mr_Brightside »

How would the rankings change if it was purely based on design and assumed fair spawns?
Greece giannisKING
Skirmisher
ESO: 4fr33d0m

Post by giannisKING »

RE maps have been designed by professionals and not some random volunteer(no offense) , and if they had better land and water balance they would be more suitable for tourney games imo ( most of them) .
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

giannisKING wrote:RE maps have been designed by professionals and not some random volunteer(no offense) , and if they had better land and water balance they would be more suitable for tourney games imo ( most of them) .
I mean yes in theory you could have tournament games on any map as long as the resources are balanced. The reason esoc maps exist though is because they have more and better hunts and more and better coin mines, thereby allowing a wider range of strategies. In the RE patch, fast rushes pretty much beat everything else on most maps just because the hunts are so sparse.

Might be fun to see a pro series on shitty RE maps just for fun tho lol. Let’s see mitoe vs diarouga on pampas, patagonia, Rockies, and amazon lol
Greece giannisKING
Skirmisher

Post by giannisKING »

Squamiger wrote:
giannisKING wrote:RE maps have been designed by professionals and not some random volunteer(no offense) , and if they had better land and water balance they would be more suitable for tourney games imo ( most of them) .
I mean yes in theory you could have tournament games on any map as long as the resources are balanced. The reason esoc maps exist though is because they have more and better hunts and more and better coin mines, thereby allowing a wider range of strategies. In the RE patch, fast rushes pretty much beat everything else on most maps just because the hunts are so sparse.

Might be fun to see a pro series on shitty RE maps just for fun tho lol. Let’s see mitoe vs diarouga on pampas, patagonia, Rockies, and amazon lol
There are plenty RE maps with very interesting design and they occur a big variety of strategies. If recourses issues get fixed, I dont see why these maps cant be played on tourneys.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

a map type like caribbean is something id love to see in the future
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Greece giannisKING
Skirmisher

Post by giannisKING »

sebnan12 wrote:a map type like caribbean is something id love to see in the future
If so, count me in
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Brought to you by a Jap lamer:
Siberia
Saguenay
Painted Desert
Great Plains
Deccan
Mongolia
Silk Road
New England
Himalayas
Aracuania
Patagonia
Borneo
Bayou
Yukon
Yellow River
Great Lakes
California
Yucatan
Texas
Carolina
Indochina
Sonora
Ozarks
Hispanola
United States of America shiptor
Crossbow
ESO: shiptor

Post by shiptor »

Great plains till I die
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon
ESO: Plantinator

Post by Plantinator »

Great plains features the most inbalanced res spawns ive ever seen on RE maps...
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Anyone putting GP in the top 10 needs to retake their education! Yes it's iconic but my god is it unbalanced.

Hispaniola I would give more credit to, it has some flaws but you never ever get a bad spawn which is the biggest factor ranking RE maps for me. In fact it probably has the most reliable spawn of any RE map?
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

yucatan is awkwards due to it being an amazonia textured map, native TP and annoying hunts but apart from that is a great map design. Takes a lot on inspiration from AoM anatolia which has the same idea or dual side water but all the gold is focused in the middle of the map
Attachments
anatolia.jpg
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Baja California is basically a balanced Yucatan. It's pretty fun if you like going water.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

baja is quite large and promotes boomy play, there could be a map with a narrow sea either side, easier to contest from land. No TPs present and moderate resources in base and high resources in the middle of the map.
Canada vividlyplain
Lancer
ESO: vividlyplain

Post by vividlyplain »

WickedCossack wrote:Anyone putting GP in the top 10 needs to retake their education! Yes it's iconic but my god is it unbalanced.

Hispaniola I would give more credit to, it has some flaws but you never ever get a bad spawn which is the biggest factor ranking RE maps for me. In fact it probably has the most reliable spawn of any RE map?
everytime i play on hispaniola i like great plains more and more
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

WickedCossack wrote:Anyone putting GP in the top 10 needs to retake their education! Yes it's iconic but my god is it unbalanced.

A good GP spawn is probably the best standard 1v1 experience you can get on RE. It's poorly balanced, but when it does spawn right it's pretty close to an average ESOC map. That's why people like it so much. Other maps can be more consistent, but if consistent spawns are still shit there's no point in consistency.