RAGEQUITTING AOE3

Which TWO things are preventing you from enjoying playing/watching AoE3 right now?

Current Metagame
16%
Map Pool
5%
AoE3 Burnout
13%
Community Unfriendliness / Drama
21%
Real-life Stresses (Quarantine, School/Uni, Work, etc.)
23%
Can't find any games
15%
Other
7%

Total votes: 192

Malaysia Aizamk
Pro Player
ESOC WarChiefs Classic 2017

Re: RAGEQUITTING AOE3

Post by Aizamk »

so long as I have an audience and a pr30+ opponent that doesn't complain or a pr 40+ opponent that does complain, I'm happy
oranges.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

1. Metagame/other. I dont quite know if I should label this metagame, but I just hate the esoc patch as a whole. It makes the game pretty boring and I also get frustrated and angry when I realize how this will affect DE. This demotivates me. I hope things change for the better soon.

2. Cant find a game. I can in principle find games, but I want to find good, evenly matched games. That is just so hard right now, and after waiting for more than 5 mins Im just going to play a different game.
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

Mitoe wrote: I'm not immune to it either. I've also not been having as much fun with AoE3 either; and I think for me it's because the current meta is so build-order focused and it doesn't feel like there's as much room to outplay people as there was in the past.
This, i mean, not only build-order but overall that game require way too much knowledge imo.
For exemple im pretty sure there is a correlation between power rating progression and number of civs played of a player, cause when you always play the same civ, its faster to "feels" the game and figure out how to play each mu which is a bit logical but shouldnt be that true compared to a player that has pure rts skills like micro, multitask, adaptation, scouting... as mitoe pointed out, many match up has very few place to outplay and i think we've seen in EPL thats its even more true in the current meta. So much laming strats and weird serie results so far.

2nd thing not motivating for me is as pointed out by some, how the current ladder works.
I stopped playing rated cause the "host/join lobby" is boring and frustrating as hell and i dont get any interest in climbing a ladder like this. most of players at my level just click into a mu they already play 100 times, that is when they dont try to counter pick you..
My biggest hope for aoeDE is to got a real matchmaking system like in sc2 or aoe2.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

Aizamk wrote:so long as I have an audience and a pr30+ opponent that doesn't complain or a pr 40+ opponent that does complain, I'm happy
That's the spirit
Image Image
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

Completely different case here, after being abstinent for a hundred years, my clan (some of them) came back and we recently made dates for clan nights. Scheduling and playing with people you know well is where the fun is at! You can skip all the annoyances that way (ppl who lag, ability to find games, pouting when someone loses, no cheating, etc.)
Also, aoe3:DE is around the corner, so inactivity now is convenient.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

flontier wrote:
Mitoe wrote: I'm not immune to it either. I've also not been having as much fun with AoE3 either; and I think for me it's because the current meta is so build-order focused and it doesn't feel like there's as much room to outplay people as there was in the past.
This, i mean, not only build-order but overall that game require way too much knowledge imo.
For exemple im pretty sure there is a correlation between power rating progression and number of civs played of a player, cause when you always play the same civ, its faster to "feels" the game and figure out how to play each mu which is a bit logical but shouldnt be that true compared to a player that has pure rts skills like micro, multitask, adaptation, scouting... as mitoe pointed out, many match up has very few place to outplay and i think we've seen in EPL thats its even more true in the current meta. So much laming strats and weird serie results so far.

2nd thing not motivating for me is as pointed out by some, how the current ladder works.
I stopped playing rated cause the "host/join lobby" is boring and frustrating as hell and i dont get any interest in climbing a ladder like this. most of players at my level just click into a mu they already play 100 times, that is when they dont try to counter pick you..
My biggest hope for aoeDE is to got a real matchmaking system like in sc2 or aoe2.
As of lately I think people give the MU itself way too much importance, and instead of trying to adapt and finding an unconventional way to win from a sticky situation (or a supposedly bad MU), they just go full bot-mode and then cry afterward how impossible it was to win. I think the more you believe you that you play a bad MU, the more you limit yourself, and your creativity to find a way to win.
Image Image
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

No quick search (hard to find a game). Boring ep maps. The creators always wanted random maps for a reason. I hope they gonna force us to play quick search for ranked games. Quick search really can revive the game. And yes maybe even a migration map like we have in Age of Empires 2.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I do really miss quick search, yeah. Maybe we should try to force people to play quick search on EP somehow :P
France flontier
Lancer
Intermediate Division Winner
ESO: Flontier
Clan: PLOP

Post by flontier »

amiggo1999 wrote:
flontier wrote:

As of lately I think people give the MU itself way too much importance, and instead of trying to adapt and finding an unconventional way to win from a sticky situation (or a supposedly bad MU), they just go full bot-mode and then cry afterward how impossible it was to win. I think the more you believe you that you play a bad MU, the more you limit yourself, and your creativity to find a way to win.
Yea but you speak from a top player perspective, 90% of players doesnt have this experience, so then i refer to my first point... this game require a ton of knowledge to know all of this :lol:
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Mitoe wrote:I do really miss quick search, yeah. Maybe we should try to force people to play quick search on EP somehow :P
Well, probably not enough players in ep. There don't need to be many players for it to work but at least a few.
But there's probably also a bias since everyone is playing the game more than usual and there's no event that is really motivating players. So with everything you do a lot you kinda get tired of it a bit. Which is good it's not like games that are just there to trigger dopamine so that you get addicted.
Georgia Qosashvili93
Dragoon
ESO: Qosashvili93

Post by Qosashvili93 »

Maybe try to make weekly tournays as often as possible?

would be more interesting for everyone to play aoe3

Epl games often but there are same ppl who play and every other just watching so it seems not big motivation for casual games
United States of America Podawe
Musketeer
ESO: Skeeter666

Post by Podawe »

flontier wrote:

I kind of agree. I'm not very good but I'd really like to improve to get better quality games centered around genuine strategy and RTS play skills. However it seems like I'm at the point where I've kind of reached my peak PR level on just skill alone and in order to increase my PR the only thing I can do is increase my knowledge of all the nuances of the game. It seems like the advanced players know every tech, every build order, for every civ. As a guy who has a full-time job and just plays this game casually and only wants to put in effort learning a handful of civs, it's pretty frustrating to feel that I've hit my ceiling already. I want to be able to improve without dedicating hours of time learning each civ and all their improvements, build-orders, etc.

I also wish that there was a more general balance between civs rather than there being clear civs that "counter" other civs. I want it so that any MU would bring a victory to the better player, not just a mediocre player beating a good player simply because of a more favorable match up. "Counter-picking" shouldn't even be a thing.

For example it's really frustrating when you play Japan and you fail to pressure them enough early, and then the game just drags on and you know that in the end there is just no way for you to catch up to their eco. So it's like you either beat them within the first 15min or you play a 30min game just to lose to a better eco boom civ, even if you play better overall. I might as well resign after the 15min mark in that scenario.

I understand that this is all much easier said than done to rectify, but this is just how I feel.
France P i k i l i c
Howdah
ESO: Pikilic
GameRanger ID: 7497456

Post by P i k i l i c »

Real life tbh.

But it's true that people don't want to play uncomfortable MUs and maps. Yersteday my opponent resigned at 0:00 2 times because we got Honshu, then Winter Great Lakes. It's not like "All Maps" are great, but they allow you to be creative and use your intelligence, because when you repeat a BO you know by heart you use your memory and may win more but paradoxically understand the game less.
I think it is normal to kick players from lobby when they are 4+- PR more than you though, it's just not interesting to rek or to be rekt.
Consider not the one who speaks the truth, but the truth that is said

:hmm: AoE logic :hmm:
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

The failed to join are terrible aswell. I have to start the game twice before I can join any match. Hope it will change in de.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

P i k i l i c wrote:Real life tbh.

But it's true that people don't want to play uncomfortable MUs and maps. Yersteday my opponent resigned at 0:00 2 times because we got Honshu, then Winter Great Lakes. It's not like "All Maps" are great, but they allow you to be creative and use your intelligence, because when you repeat a BO you know by heart you use your memory and may win more but paradoxically understand the game less.
I think it is normal to kick players from lobby when they are 4+- PR more than you though, it's just not interesting to rek or to be rekt.
Not constantly but trust me you gonna be glad in quicksearch if you have an easier game from time to time. If all the games are easy then it starts to get boring though.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

1) Aoe3 burnout. I can't really play competitively for more than one month, and being forced to play tournament games sucks. On the one hand, I'm not motivated to play, and I don't enjoy the game because I've played it too much, so I don't play it, but on the other hand I feel super pressured because it's a tournament game and 200+ people are watching. The obvious consequence is that I end up underperforming because I don't try hard, and it annoys me even more because I knew it was going to happen.

2) Retarded meta (which is partly a consequence of the retarded EP leadership). To be fair, when I signed up, I wanted to play some aoe3 because I hadn't played the game for more than 6 months, but it still took WickedCossack a few days to convince me to play on EP 7-8. The meta is just awful and not fun atm, and instead of creating more options, the 21351654 changes made the game even more one dimensional than it was. EP 8 is probably the worst EP patch ever, despite 4 years of experience.

3) Bad map pool, but tbh it's less important than the patch.

I guess real life stress is another issue, but it's linked with the aoe3 burnout.
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon
ESO: Plantinator

Post by Plantinator »

I do the same if i get honshu in a rated game haha
Its basically the Hispaniola of tad
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Plantinator wrote:

I do the same if i get honshu in a rated game haha
Its basically the Hispaniola of tad
The way you can ban maps in aoe 2 de is nice.
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

Mitoe wrote:Feels like a lot of players are leaving AoE3 right now, or at least taking a break. I don't know if it's just me but people feel very unhappy with the game / community nowadays.

I'm not immune to it either. I've also not been having as much fun with AoE3 either; and I think for me it's because the current meta is so build-order focused and it doesn't feel like there's as much room to outplay people as there was in the past. Also the community has seemed pretty negative overall the last few months, and that's not doing my mood any favours either.

What would it take to get you more interested in playing/watching the game again?

Personally I hope DE makes the game more interesting / fresh and succeeds in bringing new players into the fold.
Do you realize there was 3-4 guys with fake accounts spawning bison and monster trucks for like 2-3 weeks straight in non patch lobbies?
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Cocaine wrote:
Mitoe wrote:Feels like a lot of players are leaving AoE3 right now, or at least taking a break. I don't know if it's just me but people feel very unhappy with the game / community nowadays.

I'm not immune to it either. I've also not been having as much fun with AoE3 either; and I think for me it's because the current meta is so build-order focused and it doesn't feel like there's as much room to outplay people as there was in the past. Also the community has seemed pretty negative overall the last few months, and that's not doing my mood any favours either.

What would it take to get you more interested in playing/watching the game again?

Personally I hope DE makes the game more interesting / fresh and succeeds in bringing new players into the fold.
Do you realize there was 3-4 guys with fake accounts spawning bison and monster trucks for like 2-3 weeks straight in non patch lobbies?
Yes that's basically how they destroyed qs and lot of people like boneng and nagayumi left.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Tbh I don't think the meta, patch, maps, etc really matter. I think I've always played my way and it seems to work. You don't have to stick to the meta to win. After all what's "meta" now was strong already before, people just didn't do it, and they can only blame theirselves for that. Just like atm there are strong "non meta" strats people could be using but don't.

The annoying thing about maps is people always select tournament maps. Even if they don't play tourney. So you play always on the same maps, some of which aren't great, and never on no tp maps (which should be included in tourney anyway). Again people can blame themselves for selecting that set, it leads to more one dimensional games.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

1) Current meta game for sure, so much fun playing vs atp 1/2 game, almost makes me regret water lamers. Not even talking about zoi's patch
2) map pool synergize with 1)
3) burn out, this 6 week tourney is way too long. Make it 4 teams like 1st epl if much more beneficial.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

For a tourney like EPL do you need a set map pool? Couldn't you just RNG a 5 map set prematch or a week beforehand for each set? You would see much more diverse play, especially if you had a map pool that forced people to reach into the non-top pick civs because you can't play Russia 3 times in a row if you had 3 no tp maps.
Also as a spectator I think the other thing that cause viewer burnout is the civ reset after 3 games. You are always going to see the top civ for a map and the same mu's when players don't have to have a deep civ pool or have to try and hold a civ for a more suited map.
Anyway I know this post isn't just about EPL but I think some of the talk of meta and patches results from these things.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Kaiserklein wrote: So you play always on the same maps, some of which aren't great, and never on no tp maps (which should be included in tourney anyway).
@[Armag] diarouga You have your response to the question asked last week
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Is this based on a feeling or numbers? Are the player numbers on RE/EP decreasing, do less people watch the streams or YouTube uploads, are there less average posts on the forums?
This "burnout" feeling could very much just apply to a very small group of people while the rest (like me) is having a great time as always with the game