RAGEQUITTING AOE3

Which TWO things are preventing you from enjoying playing/watching AoE3 right now?

Current Metagame
16%
Map Pool
5%
AoE3 Burnout
13%
Community Unfriendliness / Drama
21%
Real-life Stresses (Quarantine, School/Uni, Work, etc.)
23%
Can't find any games
15%
Other
7%

Total votes: 192

Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Re: RAGEQUITTING AOE3

Post by Hawk_Girl »

For me it's just I get so tilted so easily, and can't help to complain/flame alot which is a really shit quality to have and it's wierd because I think in pretty reasonable in every aspect of life but aoe3. It's just a bad quality that I need to stop with.

And idk about the community overall but the people in esoc that I talk to and play with the most is actually really cool and nice. After my disappointing series vs kevin I got alot nice comments in twitch chat and SKG discord chat which was really nice, so thanks for that! When the community isn't just non-toxic but actually supportive, that's a great thing.
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

The community seems genuinely nice and supportive just as long as balance is not discussed.
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
Howdah

Also judging by the numbers on ESO the number of AoE3 players is increasing right now...
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

Hawk_Girl wrote:For me it's just I get so tilted so easily, and can't help to complain/flame alot which is a really shit quality to have and it's wierd because I think in pretty reasonable in every aspect of life but aoe3. It's just a bad quality that I need to stop with.
Same here, that's why i play this game, try to be nice on the game, thing which is the most challenging stuff in my life right now :D .
United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

I love this community so much. It legitimately depresses me when I think of the fact that it will eventually go away. When people leave, stop playing, or simply stop posting, it makes me sad and I miss them. Each person offers something unique and I've learned a lot about myself and others. I appreciate all of you. When I say things like this, I don't mean it in a cliche not really feeling it, it's just something to say kind of way. I truly do mean it.

That being said, there are and have been issues with toxicity. It's why I stopped playing and part of the reason why I've been rather absent for awhile. Sure, I know that much of the toxicity on eso tends to mostly come from those who aren't really part of our community, but people here still do engage in it.

There are claims here that things are better in twitch chat, but I wouldn't really know as I rarely watch streams anymore. I do see it here on the forums though. I certainly don't expect everyone to get along at all times, but I feel that basic respect is lacking in many interactions.

I know, who gives a fuck what I think? I'm just some soft, sensitive, pr25 on a good day. Why does my opinion matter? Well, it matters because if I feel this way, then there are others who do as well. People lurk, watch, observe the community and if they don't feel welcome, then they don't stick around. Tournaments are funded by the community (monetarily and organizational time) and if people don't feel welcome in a community then they aren't around to donate funds or time.

I feel we all should, including myself, be more cognizant of the impact our words and actions have.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

blackout wrote:Is this based on a feeling or numbers? Are the player numbers on RE/EP decreasing, do less people watch the streams or YouTube uploads, are there less average posts on the forums?
This "burnout" feeling could very much just apply to a very small group of people while the rest (like me) is having a great time as always with the game
Well, it's mostly based on the fact that all of the top players seem to be inactive at the moment. I'm actually not sure about how the player base looks below PR35.
Howdah

Mitoe wrote:
blackout wrote:Is this based on a feeling or numbers? Are the player numbers on RE/EP decreasing, do less people watch the streams or YouTube uploads, are there less average posts on the forums?
This "burnout" feeling could very much just apply to a very small group of people while the rest (like me) is having a great time as always with the game
Well, it's mostly based on the fact that all of the top players seem to be inactive at the moment. I'm actually not sure about how the player base looks below PR35.
At trash level it's great right now due to lock-down - on RE patch, because most newcomers don't really know about EP.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

There's a decent PR 30 3v3 scene alive on EP; however, unfortunately it's so decent that games are becoming 4v4s which lag like shit and suck ass. 1v1s are too personal and not very fun when there isn't quick search. If you're in the mood for a less serious 1v1 that isn't personal you're going to get kicked by the very weird subsect of RE majors who only host 1v1s on Great Plains and do the same strat every game and kick anyone higher or pretend to go afk, that are now inexplicably hosting on EP.

Played some 1st lt 3v3s last night on RE that lagged even harder than EP 4v4s, and one of my teammates didn't make a villager from minute 7 until minute 11, when he resigned. He wasnt even being pressured.

Tbh lag is the tilt factor. It's just so offputting.
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

Well, Age of Empires 3 is really lacking a good player base around capt lvl. Having a good player base at a mediocre lvl is so important for a game but right now it's either really good players or really bad ones.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Post by amiggo1999 »

gibson wrote:
amiggo1999 wrote:
Riotcoke wrote:No it's the bot meta that annoys me, copying top players builds. It's so boring to play vs.
ppl are always going to be copying what top players do? xD
Not necessarily, you have a very different playstyle for example. Many of the other pr30-38 players it just feels like you're playing a worse version of kaiser or mitoe.
Now I do, but any player aspiring to improve will copy what top players do. It's always been like that and will always be. That's why I just find it funny to complain about it.
Image Image
Switzerland bobabu
Howdah

Post by bobabu »

deleted_user wrote:There's a decent PR 30 3v3 scene alive on EP; however, unfortunately, it's so decent that games are becoming 4v4s which lag like shit and suck ass. 1v1s are too personal and not very fun when there isn't a quick search.

Played some 1st lt 3v3s last night on RE that lagged even harder than EP 4v4s, and one of my teammates didn't make a villager from minute 7 until minute 11 when he resigned. He wasn't even being pressured.

Yes, some people's computers seem to be older than the Age of Empires 3. I always hoped in time people would get better computers how mistaken I was. Well, we are lucky if we will get Age of Empires 3 de and hopefully only distance lagg if it will be server-based. I wonder how much time they are investing compared to Age of Empires 2de which ended up being really good.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

deleted_user wrote:Tbh lag is the tilt factor. It's just so offputting.
This is why I quit AOE3 and never looked back. It's still my fav game, but other people's lag, especially in team games, is just beyond tilting. It was turning me into a keyboard and mouse destroyer, so I decided to quit and move on.

In the end, it's about having fun playing and if playing it makes you explode and hurl imaginary thunderbolts, better stop and use that energy somewhere else. ∶)
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

amiggo1999 wrote:
gibson wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Not necessarily, you have a very different playstyle for example. Many of the other pr30-38 players it just feels like you're playing a worse version of kaiser or mitoe.
Now I do, but any player aspiring to improve will copy what top players do. It's always been like that and will always be. That's why I just find it funny to complain about it.
Not complaining, obviously copying top player is the easiest and fastest way to improve, but it’s a reason why some people find the game boring
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

deleted_user wrote:There's a decent PR 30 3v3 scene alive on EP; however, unfortunately it's so decent that games are becoming 4v4s which lag like shit and suck ass. 1v1s are too personal and not very fun when there isn't quick search. If you're in the mood for a less serious 1v1 that isn't personal you're going to get kicked by the very weird subsect of RE majors who only host 1v1s on Great Plains and do the same strat every game and kick anyone higher or pretend to go afk, that are now inexplicably hosting on EP.

Played some 1st lt 3v3s last night on RE that lagged even harder than EP 4v4s, and one of my teammates didn't make a villager from minute 7 until minute 11, when he resigned. He wasnt even being pressured.

Yeah, need more ep 2v2
United States of America GiBthedurrty
Lancer
Donator 01
Clan: YumiW

Post by GiBthedurrty »

REDACTED
Great Britain chris1089
Retired Contributor
ESO: chris1089

Post by chris1089 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:People will slowly start to realize that they didn't realize what made aoe3 fun in the first place.
Honestly have no idea what that was. Certainly isn't the same reason why I play now. I think when I go off to uni this year I will barely play the game again. Each spurt of two weeks of playing is less and less enjoyable.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

another reason to not play is that its really not a relaxing game. a lot of times i want just unwind and relax and play a computer game, but aoe3 is incredibly stressful. winning feels great but it still uses a ton of energy. and then when you use a ton of energy to play an intense game and you lose, its super draining
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

aoe3 is probably a more stressful game than sc2 for me, but that's probably because all my peers are judging my ability to play the game harshly as opposed to it just being a warzone of no-faces that is SC2 QS
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I can really recommend stepping out and playing different ganes. The competitive nature of aoe3 isnt the only way to enjoy gaming. For me it turned out that challenging single player games can be just as enjoyable but without the stress.
Turkey Sputnik
Crossbow
ESO: Sputnik10_

Post by Sputnik »

I ve been quite active due to corona outbreak lately, and i say community seems to be better except usual toxic people, but in general people kinda forget the essence of this game, which is strategical thinking really. In general getting into the bandwagon of popular strategies is quite common. I ve seen increasing amount of fi's lately, because instead of thinking on strategies,people like to copy other people's thoughts just because someone ( no disrespect he can be a major general, but he is still another person) showed that in a specific game, it was doable. It is same with balance discussions as well. I love how people decide India is bottom or top civ without playing them for example. This and in general people don't seem to learn how to lose a game. Losing is the half of the expected results, yet in general even pr 30+ players tends to complain a lot, which is disrespectful say the least. I think instead of the result, one can think about strategies and how to apply them, then aoe can be more fun.
Pakistan inyourpc
Musketeer
ESO: iamyawer
GameRanger ID: 8789100

Post by inyourpc »

To be honest build bots have taken over, now player with better apm wins and same trash, spam and win outscene. Kynsie and Mitoe are fun players to play versus. Standard builds have taken the life away of gamers. Now 15 year old boy wins every game coz he has high apm.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Burnout, terrible meta, stale map pool but this is less relevant, and enjoying other games.
Meta has just been getting slowly more and more passive and greedy since ep was first released. Semi ff into eco ff into atp ff into fi into revolt. Just less interaction with your opponent which is just not rts.

Also agree with pr30-38 being slightly worse versions of kaiser and mitoe eg flontier castete kevin as they have pretty much the same playstyle. Miggo to some extent has a similar playstyle to mitoe and takes the “greed as much as possible without dying” approach and it works so often that its becoming the norm. Whilst if you tried it on Re your tc would be destroyed at 8mins.

Main point being is that ep is too different to the game i fell in love with. Lack of top team players is another. Dont think the community is an issue, in general i think its a great community just need to put this epl behind us and pray more of the std map pools are used and some balance changes are reverted.

Also sad that non tp maps arent used at all due to our early failure to balance around them meaning half the game is wasted. Have to introduce shite design changes like nat xp trickle to fix our mistake of that which ofc makes atp even more broken.
Pakistan inyourpc
Musketeer
ESO: iamyawer
GameRanger ID: 8789100

Post by inyourpc »

inyourpc wrote:To be honest build bots have taken over, now player with better apm wins and same trash, spam and win outscene. Kynsie and Mitoe are fun players to play versus. Standard builds have taken the life away of gamers. Now 15 year old boy wins every game coz he has high apm and not to mention players when loose go easily like it was lag and stuff, winning for them is normal and when it comes to loosing they will make sure they throw every worse card on you.
Sweden Zutazuta
Howdah
zuta

Post by Zutazuta »

Hazza54321 wrote:Main point being is that ep is too different to the game i fell in love with.
This was one of the main criticisms of the AS FPs as well. I think the initial versions of EP did a good job correcting that. Hopefully we can get back on track!
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Hazza54321 wrote: Also agree with pr30-38 being slightly worse versions of kaiser and mitoe eg flontier castete kevin as they have pretty much the same playstyle.
Fuck off