RAGEQUITTING AOE3

Which TWO things are preventing you from enjoying playing/watching AoE3 right now?

Current Metagame
16%
Map Pool
5%
AoE3 Burnout
13%
Community Unfriendliness / Drama
21%
Real-life Stresses (Quarantine, School/Uni, Work, etc.)
23%
Can't find any games
15%
Other
7%

Total votes: 192

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: RAGEQUITTING AOE3

Post by n0el »

edeholland wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
duckzilla wrote:I hoped for a nice upgrade via AoE3:DE, but given that there is no information flow at all even though first beta tests began in early february, I do not believe in significant upgrade. The hype ain't real anymore.
Long period of pre-release beta testing points to a more significant upgrade of higher quality, if anything. I think you got it backwards.
If the game takes another year of development to release, it's obviously going to be better than if it releases next month. At least, unless something goes very wrong, more development time should simply equal better product in general.
I get where he is coming from, I think. Because there is very little information about AoE3:DE and it's hardly being hyped up, it suggests that there is not a lot to look forward to. If we would get a new engine, new 4k models, 3 new civs and dedicated servers in every country, you would assume they would have started marketing that to get people excited. Instead we hear very little so it may just be a insignificant upgrade compared to the original game.
normally we would get this information at an event like E3, but alas there are no events because of the virus.
mad cuz bad
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

oxaloacetate wrote:
Dolan wrote:
Show hidden quotes
That's the plan. I'll first reach a rank this season, then I'll uninstall or only play occasionaly some ARAMs or customs with friends.
It's not only me thinking that, I've talked to lots who think similar things. Might partly explain why the game playerbase has been declining. There's also the fact that Riot has made the game centered on one single map, which gets boring after a while. Other games have a lot more diversity of maps for ranked games.
Why would you even care to reach a certain rank, given your own criticism?
Sunk cost fallacy in relation to the time I've sunk into that game.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

I don't understand why gaming would be considered a "cost". I would hope you were enjoying that time spent playing the game? If you saw that time as an investment, what return on it were you ever expecting?
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Here we go
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Goodspeed wrote:I don't understand why gaming would be considered a "cost". I would hope you were enjoying that time spent playing the game? If you saw that time as an investment, what return on it were you ever expecting?
Everything that is fun has a cost, including gaming.
Nobody starts doing something with the awareness they developed after they've done it for months. At first, you're just curious or playing because other people are doing it too. Then you start getting the hang of it, but by that time you've already sunk some time in it and you want to justify that cost by achieving some baseline objective.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

When will my hundreds of hours in Team Fortress 2 pay off?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:I don't understand why gaming would be considered a "cost". I would hope you were enjoying that time spent playing the game? If you saw that time as an investment, what return on it were you ever expecting?
Everything that is fun has a cost, including gaming.
Nobody starts doing something with the awareness they developed after they've done it for months. At first, you're just curious or playing because other people are doing it too. Then you start getting the hang of it, but by that time you've already sunk some time in it and you want to justify that cost by achieving some baseline objective.
It seems the key difference between us here is that I think playing the game is (or should be) itself the reward, whereas you think the reward comes later in the form of an achieved objective.

When I take 5 hours to play a game, the time is the cost and the fun had is the "justification". For you, I guess whatever you achieved in those 5 hours would be the justification. With that attitude towards gaming, I can definitely understand why LoL would be a frustrating game for you. I would recommend RPGs, which are designed to make the player feel like they have made progress after playing for a while.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

I played for fun too (ARAMs, normals), but ranked is not only for fun. Obviously if you do ranked you play to win.
And most ppl who play for fun avoid ranked, they think it's too tilting and the matchmaking is just a gamble.
If you play for fun only, playing is the reward, I agree. But if you play ranked, you have a different objective.
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Play to win and play to have fun shouldn't be two different things tho
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

blackout wrote:Play to win and play to have fun shouldn't be two different things tho
It is not unless you are running on an unwinnable streak.
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Ranked is sort of semi-pro, in the sense that you're taking the game a bit more seriously and the result matters more than anything else. And since ppl "play to win" in ranked (ie, they play for result, not just for fun), sometimes they play meta champs or broken stuff just because they want that free elo.

They might have fun playing other champs, but in ranked they will play something that will help them get a win. It's like playing Ottos in tourney in AOE3. You don't do it because you're a big fan of the civ, because it's fun to play it, but if your objective is to win, then you might have to do it just to stay in the tourney.

If you play for fun only, you don't give a shit if the game looks lost, you weren't playing for result anyway. It might be slightly annoying that nobody puts much effort into it :P, but that's how it goes in normals. And if you're in voice chat with friends doing custom normals or ARAMs, it's all just for bants and trolling. It's even more fun if you have like custom 3v3s or 4v4s with friends in vc.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Dolan wrote:I played for fun too (ARAMs, normals), but ranked is not only for fun. Obviously if you do ranked you play to win.
And most ppl who play for fun avoid ranked, they think it's too tilting and the matchmaking is just a gamble.
If you play for fun only, playing is the reward, I agree. But if you play ranked, you have a different objective.
I never played much ranked in any game, but when I do it's only to make sure I get matched up against people of my level. Since LoL unranked still uses a hidden MMR I never found much reason to play ranked there. Friends did want to play ranked though, and from what I've seen it definitely seemed more toxic which is a legitimate reason to avoid it. The most fun I've had with that game is when we had a 5-man team premade.