Empire Cup Feedback!

France iNcog
Ninja

Empire Cup Feedback!

Post by iNcog »

Good morning/afternoon all. :)

So I was quite happy with the Empire Cup when it happened last, and thanks to our wonderful patrons, we have at least 2 more on the way.

So let's talk feedback. What was good, what was bad, what was what?

Personally I am thinking of scrapping the veto mechanic. It was interesting and I enjoyed it, but it didn't add enough for me to warrant staying.

The other aspect of it was it being a 2 day event. I personally enjoyed that, it made for a lot of content in a short time span, made scheduling easier too. However what if we split the event up into 2 weekends? With 12 or 24 hour rounds or something. I am specifically looking for player feedback on this one. I know some had to sit out due to the time frame.

Please share all your thoughts so that we can run the next édition of Empire Cup as smoothly as possible.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Re: Empire Cup Feedback!

Post by Riotcoke »

Over two weekends would be cool maybe esoc could try and do a 24/hr stream through it and have games throughout those 24hrs. Although i don't know how viable that is .

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Germany blackout
Dragoon

Post by blackout »

Really enjoyed the event. Was kind of sad that it was only 2 days so to expand it over 2 weekends could be the way to go. But maybe the cool thing also was that it was so short. Not sure
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

What I like about the weekend format is that it's over and done with nice and quickly. All content is concentrated in a short span of time so it starts, builds up and ends in due time.

Spreading it over 2 weekends would be nice since it's the same punctual setting that I think is good and to the point. By doing it in 2 weekends it might be easier to schedule games. Of course caveat being when do games get streamed?

Edit: I am of course interested in how players felt during the event and how they lived it
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

From a viewer perspective is was great, obviously.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

The event was very fun and interesting to play for me atleast,i would like to see that we see it 2 weeks long and not 2 days cuz i remember some ppl couldnt play in it due no time at the weekend and the most of the games werent casted, what i didnt like a lot. :P
Anyways it was a great event for me as first esoc tourney and fun factor :flowers:
Spain pain train is real
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

Rohbrot wrote:...i would like to see that we see it 2 weeks long and not 2 days cuz i remember some ppl couldnt play in it due no time at the weekend...
I think if you do it over 2 weekends you still have to tie every round to a certain day and timeslot, otherwise you will have a lot of chaos with some people in the RO8 already while some RO 64 have not even been played.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

If it is two weekends, doesnt that make it more difficult for players tho? Means you need to be free 2 weekends in a row.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

From a stream manager perspective, it would be nice if you had the casters scheduled a few days earlier and set down a table with shifts. That would be very handy.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

IAmSoldieR wrote:If it is two weekends, doesnt that make it more difficult for players tho? Means you need to be free 2 weekends in a row.
This is definitely what I'm asking.

Of course it also means that if you have 24h rounds, you only need to commit an hour or two on a Saturday, Sunday, then another Sat and Sun. hmm. that doesnt seem so bad. not 100% on that though
Garja wrote:
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

In my opinion the premier civ should be the only civ the player is allowed to play on every map in every series for the whole tournament.

Seriously though it's been over a year since the last monociv
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

If you play one round per day for 4 days that's not bad. But if you have to commit multiple hours for 4 straight sat/sun then that's kinda a lot.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

dicktator_ wrote:In my opinion the premier civ should be the only civ the player is allowed to play on every map in every series for the whole tournament.

Seriously though it's been over a year since the last monociv
2 years, and 4 EP iterations ago. It's time for another!
Sweden Hawk_Girl
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by Hawk_Girl »

As for the exact format im not sure what should change but i like monociv or premier civ tourneys alot. Makes it more legit to botto lame. So I'm definately playing if there's a new one coming!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I liked premier civilization too. We should keep that for next edition. :)
Garja wrote:
China Zeke
Dragoon
ESO: XYH

Post by Zeke »

The last tourney was quite good, really looking forward to the next one!

I think the veto mechanic can maybe work like this: it's based on the NWC rules with the addition of only the loser of the previous game can veto the opponent's civ, which will give an advantage to him in the next game. btw mono-civ also sounds really cool, maybe we can do that as well in the following Empire Cup (tho I prefer smth like duo or tri civ tour)

2-weekend event sounds nice, could even go for 2-week event to allow players having more time slots to schedule imo, and more series can be casted as well!
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

All right, so here is what we're looking at for this summer. Please share thoughts some more:

- 2 weekend event possibility:
Spoiler
- 1 weekend event possibility:
Spoiler
- Premier Civilization & no veto mechanic. I don't want to do mono-civ, I understand that people like it but I prefer civ variety. ESOC can do a mono-civ at some other point.
- Set map pool, as before.
- Keeping it Bo1, Bo1, Bo1 then Bo3, Bo5, Bo7
- $500 prize pool. Any donation we get during the cup will go to Empire Cup 4.

I am still unsure of what the easiest format is to commit to for players. I think 2 weekends and 24h rounds might allow for some non-NA, non-EU players to participate. As well as spreading things out a little so that we can stream a few more games. 24h rounds means that a player has to dedicate an hour or so every day for 5 days, instead 8 hours for 2 days. So there is more time to schedule stuff, however we will still admin the thing closely and give byes to opponents that don't show. However the 1 weekend time-frame is basically tried and tested. It worked out fine previously, so there would be no reason for it not to work out this time too.

Frankly right now I am leaning towards the 2 weekend format for the aforementioned reasons. Also, it's untried. So Empire Cup 3 will be the time schedule that ended up working out better.
Garja wrote:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

The other thing I wanted to ask in this thread, publicly and candidly: did everyone get paid?
Garja wrote:
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

Ok, no feedback till now...so i start, i like 2weekend possiblity more due more time u have to split ur games instead of playing 3-5 games in a row and NA, EU and Asian ppl can schedule their matches better, how u already said.My games got not casted so i felt a bit sad about cuz were my first tourney, while i did play 1 pro and 1 guy who thinks hes good (u know him better than me ) So,i would like to see all games streamed :flowers:
The other thing I wanted to ask in this thread, publicly and candidly: did everyone get paid?
Well,the best upset and best strat prize is still not given so idk about me :hmm:
Spain pain train is real
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

mm
Garja wrote: