aesthetic changes you'd like for DE

United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

aesthetic changes you'd like for DE

Post by Squamiger »

sioux renamed lakota, which is what the tribe calls themselves

germany renamed prussia or austria-hungary or holy roman empire or something. germany didn't exist for most of aoe3 times.

china villages renamed hamlets. they are really just too small to be villages, they are just the right size for a hamlet though, which is like a household with an extended family living together on a plot of land.

i've said it before and I'll say it again, the names for fortress age and colonial age should switch. the pattern of european colonization was to build forts first, then start colonizing second. pretty much everyone did it this way-- jamestown was a fort, spanish florida started as forts, french canada started as forts. you need forts first to establish a colony and then you can start bringin in settlers. nothing else should change about this, just the names. plus, "colonial" as an aesthetic style is much more evocative of like, the mid to late 18th century, when you have the american revolution and all that, NOT the period of the 1500s-1600s when the portuguese and spanish and dutch are building forts all around asia and south america and the caribean
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon
ESO: Plantinator

Re: aesthetic changes you'd like for DE

Post by Plantinator »

Squamiger wrote:sioux renamed lakota, which is what the tribe calls themselves

germany renamed prussia or austria-hungary or holy roman empire or something. germany didn't exist for most of aoe3 times.

china villages renamed hamlets. they are really just too small to be villages, they are just the right size for a hamlet though, which is like a household with an extended family living together on a plot of land.

i've said it before and I'll say it again, the names for fortress age and colonial age should switch. the pattern of european colonization was to build forts first, then start colonizing second. pretty much everyone did it this way-- jamestown was a fort, spanish florida started as forts, french canada started as forts. you need forts first to establish a colony and then you can start bringin in settlers. nothing else should change about this, just the names. plus, "colonial" as an aesthetic style is much more evocative of like, the mid to late 18th century, when you have the american revolution and all that, NOT the period of the 1500s-1600s when the portuguese and spanish and dutch are building forts all around asia and south america and the caribean

1. Wasnt that only one tribe that made up what we know as the sioux?
2. The Problem is rly that the Design has Elements of both thrown together. Thats why the devs did sth rly clever and named them germans not germany (;
3.i guess sure would make sense
4. The first fortifacations existed before ofc in the americas but most of them were built during the 18th century (by the french/brits mostly along their trade routes and boarders).
Belgium LegalPenguin
Musketeer
ESO: LegalPenguin

Post by LegalPenguin »

I'd love some more cool historian names added, especially for the units that just have "guard" before their name. Maybe even add the option to have every civ have their own in-game language for the buildings, units and techs etc.
I'd love to have an English interface and description, but with native language names for example.

Other than that, I'd think it would be cool to make the smoke traces more fluent. Have smoke move a little, so that you have a "poof" instead of a straight line.
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ...
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon

Post by Plantinator »

Well the royal guard units names are pretty accurate in a historic sense. Idk if u have ever played NTW Darthmod but they have extremly realistic smoke there-problem is that the whole battlefield is covered in smoke after like 2 min and u cant see shit :P
What i would love to do is to redesign the grenadier to function more like a Elite musk that could also toss grenades. Wouldnt be a good idea at all prob from a gameplay perspective tho :hmm:
Belgium LegalPenguin
Musketeer
ESO: LegalPenguin

Post by LegalPenguin »

Plantinator wrote:Well the royal guard units names are pretty accurate in a historic sense.
I mean, it would be cool to have the option to have the names in game be in the original language of that civ. So even when playing in English, a Guard French musketeer would be "Garde Mousquetaire". Adding some more unique names, would also be cool.
Could be just me though, I imagine some people would hate playing Russia and not understanding a single name due to their different alphabet.
Plantinator wrote:Idk if u have ever played NTW Darthmod but they have extremly realistic smoke there-problem is that the whole battlefield is covered in smoke after like 2 min and u cant see shit :P
I get that the smoke could be a problem, but I imagine that if done correctly, it could be a nice aesthetic addition. For instance: no smoke for small guns, little smoke for muskets, normal smoke for canons etc. Don't let it linger too long, make it transparant, ...
Plantinator wrote:What i would love to do is to redesign the grenadier to function more like a Elite musk that could also toss grenades. Wouldnt be a good idea at all prob from a gameplay perspective tho :hmm:
As for the elite musketeer: cool idea, but that's not an aesthetic change ;) Cool idea, tho!
Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ...
Germany Plantinator
Dragoon

Post by Plantinator »

Well if they get redesigned from that fat dude that throws balls to some kind of melee expert for bayonett charges they will need an asthetic rebirth too
Thats a lifeguard gren from around 1800 sth like that
Attachments
96bd7b75b1dc0e80668b666a9f4d00ce.jpg
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Devs just named it Germany because it's simpler and for marketing purposes.

The "fortress age" is a nod to the castle age. While the games are extremely different, 3 is still meant to be a sequel to 2.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

None.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Change the Iroquois flag to the flag of the Iroquois confederacy

Aztec flag to the 3 emblems of the triple alliance. It looks weird but it fits.

Keshiks to speak Mongolian

Winged hussars to speak polish.

This one might be a bit weird but for the English to transition their speech and not just be middle english. at least when you age to industrial it should be victorian english

New revolution countries that actually make sense.

I kinda want the meiji restoration to sort of work like revolution and not just be an age up to imp.
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

GUA to shave.
[Sith] - Baphomet
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Some ugly textures and unit mugs could be improved.
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:None.
ok mr. grumpy
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

helln00 wrote:Change the Iroquois flag to the flag of the Iroquois confederacy

Aztec flag to the 3 emblems of the triple alliance. It looks weird but it fits.

Keshiks to speak Mongolian

Winged hussars to speak polish.

This one might be a bit weird but for the English to transition their speech and not just be middle english. at least when you age to industrial it should be victorian english

New revolution countries that actually make sense.

I kinda want the meiji restoration to sort of work like revolution and not just be an age up to imp.
agree about everything here, except maybe having victorian english in age 4, lol. it would get hard because then what dialect would you use? also, why just english, when every single other language went through similar shifts in time?

for revolutions that actually make sense, yes! here's the proposal. nothing has to change in terms of units and techs.

Brits= America or Canada
France = Haiti or Louisiana
Ports = Brazil or Angola
Dutch = St. Martin, or America (new amsterdam alternate timeline)
Russia = USSR, or, get this, Golden Horde. defect from mother russia and take to the steppe and get shipments of keshigs and manchu lol. although that not really just aesthetic.
Germany = Pennsylvania or Texas (alt timeline in which these two areas became independent german enclaves, high number of german speakers there is accurate)
Spain = Mexico or Peru
Ottomans = could just also be Mexico or Peru, since the alternate history timeline is an Ottoman conquest of what Spain actually got. Unless you wanna bring in like, Greece or Egypt.

do you know if manchu cav actually speak manchu? that would be cool. actually, if it's the qing dynasty, you could have more manchu in there in general...
Great Britain Black_Duck
Dragoon
ESO: Tom
Clan: DUKC

Post by Black_Duck »

Squamiger wrote:
helln00 wrote: Dutch = St. Martin
3 people and a dog live in St Martin and half of it remained Dutch so not sure it really makes sense either.
Challenged_Macro wrote: Respect Mussolini guys,if hes triggered there is always a reason.
Mussolini wrote: I hope corona gets you, your family and all your fuckin relatives as you fuckin deserve it for being cocky
Howdah

Post by Squamiger »

Black_Duck wrote:
Squamiger wrote:
helln00 wrote: Dutch = St. Martin
3 people and a dog live in St Martin and half of it remained Dutch so not sure it really makes sense either.
oh, then indonesia, of course why did i forget that. doesnt really matter if there wasnt an actual rev, all of aoe3 is alternate history
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Ah yes aoe3, where the sioux can battle Japan for supremacy of Patagonia. Such accuracy
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

Game units still look ok and they're so small on the map that I don't see what major improvement they could bring to the way units look like. On max gfx settings, the game still looks gorgeous.

What I do think is going to happen is that they're going to overhaul the whole game interface, which has been long overdue. And since it's also the cheapest and easiest thing to change, I'm 100% sure that's where they're going to invest most of their work. They're also probably going to implement stuff that makes the game scale properly on larger/higher-res screens, since that was also a selling point for previous remakes. And those interface textures from the early 2000s already look ancient on big screens, so they will include interface textures that scale and look better in 2K and 4K.

Anything else I'm hoping to see in DE? Yeah, updated shaders, you know that part of graphics that handles all the map bumps, shadows, lighting, that stuff. And also, new map textures. This is connected with the updated shaders I mentioned. If they use a recent version of shaders, then they can also put a lot more impressive map textures, which might make maps a lot more attractive. There might be some limitations of the game engine pipeline here, like how much memory it can actually handle before it poops itself, so not sure if they can really put high-resolution textures in the AOE3 engine and more demanding shaders without making the game a laggy mess (just like they did with the other AOE remakes). I'm not holding my breath for seeing Microsoft reprogram how the game uses GPUs to make it less laggy if they bump up the graphics. They're gonna go for high-reward low-effort changes that normies don't realise are cheap to make and which look kewl enough that they'd be tempted to buy the game again.
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Correct projectiles for all units and buildings...
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Dolan wrote:Game units still look ok and they're so small on the map that I don't see what major improvement they could bring to the way units look like. On max gfx settings, the game still looks gorgeous.

What I do think is going to happen is that they're going to overhaul the whole game interface, which has been long overdue. And since it's also the cheapest and easiest thing to change, I'm 100% sure that's where they're going to invest most of their work. They're also probably going to implement stuff that makes the game scale properly on larger/higher-res screens, since that was also a selling point for previous remakes. And those interface textures from the early 2000s already look ancient on big screens, so they will include interface textures that scale and look better in 2K and 4K.

Anything else I'm hoping to see in DE? Yeah, updated shaders, you know that part of graphics that handles all the map bumps, shadows, lighting, that stuff. And also, new map textures. This is connected with the updated shaders I mentioned. If they use a recent version of shaders, then they can also put a lot more impressive map textures, which might make maps a lot more attractive. There might be some limitations of the game engine pipeline here, like how much memory it can actually handle before it poops itself, so not sure if they can really put high-resolution textures in the AOE3 engine and more demanding shaders without making the game a laggy mess (just like they did with the other AOE remakes). I'm not holding my breath for seeing Microsoft reprogram how the game uses GPUs to make it less laggy if they bump up the graphics. They're gonna go for high-reward low-effort changes that normies don't realise are cheap to make and which look kewl enough that they'd be tempted to buy the game again.
As someone who has been using the ekanta UI (or rather, a modified version if it that eaglemut made for me) for primarily aesthetic reasons, I agree with this. The normal UI is just very ugly.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Would love love love new map textures. Sometimes the maps feel over-saturated and difficult to look at.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

deleted_user wrote:Would love love love new map textures. Sometimes the maps feel over-saturated and difficult to look at.
Andes and painted desert are just so awful to look at
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

It's already possible to add nicer map textures, modders have been doing that for years. Finding good textures for free is more difficult, since this kind of stuff, if it's of great quality, doesn't come for free.
But I managed to find a few good ones and introduce them in the game engine:

It can be a lot of work to find a good texture that will have a great contrast with the units on the map and will not make them invisible. That's why AOE3 has these blurry textures, to make those tiny units more visible by contrast. So you can't really put textures in the game that look too flashy, you need something more blurred and with small, subtle details. And then you need to test them with lighting sets and make sure you get a great combo with other map objects, like trees, water, etc. It can take a lot of testing before nailing a good one.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

Squamiger wrote:
agree about everything here, except maybe having victorian english in age 4, lol. it would get hard because then what dialect would you use? also, why just english, when every single other language went through similar shifts in time.

do you know if manchu cav actually speak manchu? that would be cool. actually, if it's the qing dynasty, you could have more manchu in there in general...
I mean you dont have to get too detailed about the dialects being used since its supposed to be unifying anyway. The problem is that the shift with english happened at this exact time period such that its so noticeable.

Yeah the manchu merc speaks manchu. But I think the Chinese units already have regional variation on their speechs so I think its unecessary.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

like the OP and the discussion
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Colombia jorgeguerra
Crossbow
ESO: jorgeguerra

Post by jorgeguerra »

Make the imperial units look different from the guard, also make the royal guard units different looking. Like Jinets having that tail golden or something, to make them different from normal guard goon. (Like Indian mansabdars e.g)