Deathmatch is exceptionable

India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Deathmatch is exceptionable

Post by _RDX_ »

What is even the point of having this mode? The supremacy mode already provides the deathmatch experience without the 20k starting resources. We can find this mode in every game in the Age of Empires franchise but what for? I mean, it is really fun to have that much resources, planning strategies with them and having fun with people. The problem is this mode was never used for competitive play in most of the Age of Empires games. It doesn't even receive a reputation like the Treaty mode which had tournaments. It seems as though people have forgotten about it and there is a chance that some of you reading this post didn't know it existed. The devs could have added something better than this mode or we are not seeing the potential that the Deathmatch can provide. If they're gonna add a Deathmatch mode for Age of Empires 4, there is a 50% chance it is going to face the same fate as previous Deathmatch modes in previous games and there's a 50% chance it could become popular because of diverse game mechanism and features that could make it good. Your thoughts on this?
oranges.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Deathmatch is exceptionable

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

To me deathmatch is better than treaty. It requires a lot of apm/macro/micro/multitasking/decision making and you don't have to wait for 40min before the game starts.
The issue is that nobody plays it so you can't play it because you have no opponents, and supremacy is more interesting imo.
Australia wardyb1
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: wardyb1

Post by wardyb1 »

I'm pretty sure Deathmatch used to have plenty of games played on it. It is just that it has a high barrier to entry. If you don't know how to play it properly, you lose in 3 minutes. So naturally in a low population environment it fell out of touch with the player base. Then it is just a feedback loop. People find it hard to learn and stop playing > no games so it is hard to learn.
“To love the journey is to accept no such end. I have found, through painful experience, that the most important step a person can take is always the next one.”
Spain Snuden
Jaeger
ESO: Snuden

Post by Snuden »

“I mean, it is really fun to have that much resources, planning strategies with them and having fun with people”
[Sith] - Baphomet
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I feel like the biggest problem with regards to deathmatch is the fact that it requires you to have a seperate homecity. That just made me not even bother getting into it.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

DM is treaty without the excessive time you need to boom. It requires lots of apm and the games often end quickly. All that look as advantages to me. The disadvantage is there aren't many playing it. Exactly like rouga said. Comet is one to look for to tell you more about the DM community.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play deathmatch.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

The problem i have with death matches is that its restricted to industrial and imp, which inherently means that asian civs are without wonders which just feels bad
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

helln00 wrote:The problem i have with death matches is that its restricted to industrial and imp, which inherently means that asian civs are without wonders which just feels bad
Asian civs can go age 5 though. According to cometk, India and China are playable.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

In some other RTS games starting resources can be changed via settings. In aoe3 this is sadly not the case. DM was an attempt to give players at least one high resource alternative.
Great Britain I_HaRRiiSoN_I
Retired Contributor

Post by I_HaRRiiSoN_I »

I would be up for some DM games at some, was meaning to play a few at some point. Now we have XP mod it makes the whole process easier
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

I guess the point is to have big battles without having to care too much about your economy. Of course in competitive play your economy and macro is important, but I can understand why a casual player just wants to see huge battles with imperial units and wants to skip all the aging up and booming. I think it's primarily made for the casual player.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

The whole separate HC thing is what kills it for me. Sometimes I'll see deathmatches hosted in the lobby and want to join, but just haven't bothered to make and level up some deathmatch home cities. Shame, because it is such a fun game mode for quick decision making and big battles early. Perhaps when DE comes out and hopefully just removes the whole leveling mechanic it could become popular again?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

XP MOD takes like 3 minutes
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

edeholland wrote:XP MOD takes like 3 minutes
And make 14 hcs, unlock the cards, all for like a game every two months lol
European Union aaryngend
Howdah
Clan: N3O

Post by aaryngend »

dansil92 wrote:
And make 14 hcs, unlock the cards, all for like a game every two months lol
Nah, no need to do that. If you want to DM on TAD (which is a bad idea in itself) just get one asian civ to level 100 and from then on, all new DM homecities start at level 100. Only thing you need to do is unlock the cards yourself by clicking.
DM is best played on vanilla, all good DM players always ignored TAD, you don't even need all the civs, just 2-3 are enough. Best way to play it is to have friends who are also interested in it, you eliminate the search for games this way.

I never understood why DM wasn't more popular, it's 10x as good as that boring treaty gamemode.
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Post by n0el »

i agree, I played 10-15 games with the artist formerly known as cometk, and it was a lot of fun.
mad cuz bad
Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

DM was a dead game type a long time ago. So I doubt there’d be much of a fan base for it now either. There were some decent DM players around before I left but I don’t think there’s many left around anymore from what I’ve seen.

Most decent DM players only ever used to play it on nilla as well
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Not really, since it also takes another person.
Australia robo
ESOC Media Team
ESO: robo_boro
Clan: sQad

Post by robo »

_RDX_ wrote: The problem is this mode was never used for competitive play in any Age of Empires game.
AoE2 DM is quite popular, and has had over $20k in prizes over the past 6 years.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Post by _RDX_ »

Yeah, I didn't know that. I think i should quit making posts without checking facts.
oranges.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i think a reason for deathmatch in every AoE game is also that for really, REALLY new players, like people buying the game and opening it for the first time, there's a desire to see all the features-- you want to shoot great bombards, but you don't really know how to age up yet, and you definitely don't know how to use the scenario editor. Sure, there's a tiny competitive deathmatch scene, but I think the main function of the mode is to allow noobs to have a sandbox against the AI, where they get access to everything all at once. I know that was the main way I used to play age of mythology when I was a kid, since I never knew any actual build orders and I just wanted to make an army of hoplites
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

robo wrote:
_RDX_ wrote: The problem is this mode was never used for competitive play in any Age of Empires game.
AoE2 DM is quite popular, and has had over $20k in prizes over the past 6 years.
aoe 2 dm is also quite different. Becuase aoe 2 is so much slower than aoe 3 in many ways aoe 2 dm is more similar to classic aoe 3, at least at the start.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.
France Zanerre
Skirmisher
ESO: empireboss

Post by Zanerre »

I think If u want to make a showmatch it's better to host DM on nilla than EP
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I like 3 minute games :)

I tried a few games with Cometk but he is top 1. so it was just me trying to last an extra minute every game. was hard

lol sex puns
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.