Are multiple resistances possible?

Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Are multiple resistances possible?

Post by Imperial Noob »

In other games units usually have multiple resistances.
Is there a coding reason why cannot warships have range and siege resist?
Or why cannot melee cavs have both melee and range resist...
European Union Scroogie
Lancer
ESO: Scroogie
GameRanger ID: 10056919

Re: Are multiple resistances possible?

Post by Scroogie »

its probably a design choice
Me being slightly ahead vs H2O: Image
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

It's unfortunately a design choice
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Scroogie wrote:its probably a design choice
Yeah, I think they wanted to make it more simple. AoM does have multiple armor types, while on AoE3 version of the engine such possibility was deliberately removed.
The only instance where it is possible to have multiple types of resists is by using Cover mode.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Because a unit with 20% melee armour and 20% ranged armour behaves exactly the same as a unit with 20% more hp and no armour. Since the apparent design is that artillery affects all units equally, there was no reason to add multiple resists as hp = armour when you have 2 armour types
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

dansil92 wrote:Because a unit with 20% melee armour and 20% ranged armour behaves exactly the same as a unit with 20% more hp and no armour. Since the apparent design is that artillery affects all units equally, there was no reason to add multiple resists as hp = armour when you have 2 armour types
It wouldn't have to be the same resist percent for both types though
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

EAGLEMUT wrote:
Yeah, I think they wanted to make it more simple. AoM does have multiple armor types, while on AoE3 version of the engine such possibility was deliberately removed.
The only instance where it is possible to have multiple types of resists is by using Cover mode.
So couldnt you technically do something like editing the standard mode to have the same effect without the penalty? or is that hard coded to the cover mode?
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Also we have three armor types. Some units have siege resistance, e.g factory wagons.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

Kaiserklein wrote:
dansil92 wrote:Because a unit with 20% melee armour and 20% ranged armour behaves exactly the same as a unit with 20% more hp and no armour. Since the apparent design is that artillery affects all units equally, there was no reason to add multiple resists as hp = armour when you have 2 armour types
It wouldn't have to be the same resist percent for both types though
Well yes, but if you have 30rr and 20mr its effectively 10rr and 20% more hp, or something mathematically similar. It doesn't really matter as long as no units have siege resist, which would then offer a reason for multiple armour types, since you'd be scaling around 3 points
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

dansil92 wrote:Well yes, but if you have 30rr and 20mr its effectively 10rr and 20% more hp, or something mathematically similar. It doesn't really matter as long as no units have siege resist, which would then offer a reason for multiple armour types, since you'd be scaling around 3 points
Well no, because if you give +20% hp and +10% rr, instead of giving +30% rr and +20% mr, you're making the unit tankier against siege attacks.

Besides, +30% rr would mean roughly +43% hp (1 / 0.7 ~ 1.43). Not that it matters though.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
United States of America Darwin_
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

As a work around, you can give units with the right kind of attack a negative multiplier against the unit or unit type in question. That is how Galleons take 50% less damage from fortifications (as they have the siege unit tag, and most fortifications' anti-ship attacks have a 0.5 multiplier vs. siege units).
somppukunkku wrote:This is not a fucking discogame.
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Darwin_ wrote:As a work around, you can give units with the right kind of attack a negative multiplier against the unit or unit type in question. That is how Galleons take 50% less damage from fortifications (as they have the siege unit tag, and most fortifications' anti-ship attacks have a 0.5 multiplier vs. siege units).
Which is like the most confusing thing I have ever learned about the game. I play since 2005 and did not know this until like two months ago....

The stacking of negative multipliers is also quite hideous. Some units have like 6 different multipliers, partially cancelling out each other.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

duckzilla wrote:
Darwin_ wrote:As a work around, you can give units with the right kind of attack a negative multiplier against the unit or unit type in question. That is how Galleons take 50% less damage from fortifications (as they have the siege unit tag, and most fortifications' anti-ship attacks have a 0.5 multiplier vs. siege units).
Which is like the most confusing thing I have ever learned about the game. I play since 2005 and did not know this until like two months ago....
Hahaha yeah I feel you. The only way one would ever really know about it without looking for it is from their unit description which says "resistant to fire," however that might just be referring to their higher ranged resistance. Galleons are actually really useful units in niche situations because of this, but I think a lot of people, like you, don't know about it because it's so unclear. Would be super cool if galleons took less damage from artillery as well, but that's a different discussion.

Side note, Grenadier-type units also take half damage from fortifications by the same mechanic, which is another piece of game knowledge I doubt many people are aware of.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

Yeah and also some multipliers are hidden. They really did a poor job, it's really messy and hard to figure out
Howdah

Post by Darwin_ »

Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah and also some multipliers are hidden. They really did a poor job, it's really messy and hard to figure out
At least it's not as bad as AoE2. The fact that all bonus damage and unit tags are essentially hidden in that game is the main reason I have no fun playing it. Not including any of that stuff just adds a huge, unnecessary learning curve.
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

also funny is when bonus damage is added though a tech, they tend to add it to all damage, for example the carib bonus vil damage also being in their siege damage, which means you can technically buff carib native siege by adding a villager tag to certain buildings lol
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

helln00 wrote:
EAGLEMUT wrote:
So couldnt you technically do something like editing the standard mode to have the same effect without the penalty? or is that hard coded to the cover mode?
That is possible, but I don't see how giving all units in standard mode any kind of hidden resistence would be ever desirable.
momuuu wrote: theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
France Le Hussard sur le toit
Howdah
ESO: LeHussardsurletoit

Post by Le Hussard sur le toit »

Darwin_ wrote:
Kaiserklein wrote:Yeah and also some multipliers are hidden. They really did a poor job, it's really messy and hard to figure out
At least it's not as bad as AoE2. The fact that all bonus damage and unit tags are essentially hidden in that game is the main reason I have no fun playing it. Not including any of that stuff just adds a huge, unnecessary learning curve.
At least in AoE3 you have range and melee resits, and it's quite easy to figure out which units do ranged damage and which do melee damage (with a few odd exceptions obviously). While the pierce/crush/cut system of AoE2 and AoM means you have to look at a tiny model to know what the unit is supposed to counter (assuming there are no hidden bonus that will throw out every calculation).
ESOC : came for the game, stayed for the drama.
United States of America iCourt
Retired Contributor
ESO: iCourt

Post by iCourt »

Let's complicate the game even more!
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

Ship resistance should be a bug design imo. Every warship does siege damage to another, but every ship has range resistance: are warships designed to fight with musketeers and skirmishers?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

fei123456 wrote:Ship resistance should be a bug design imo. Every warship does siege damage to another, but every ship has range resistance: are warships designed to fight with musketeers and skirmishers?
they are designed to slay muskets and skirms by doing high damage and taking low damage from these units
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Give wagons more than .2 siege resist, they need to be the tankiest units in the game!

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV