Dynamic Maps

What do you think about implementing dynamic maps?

Yes
29%
No
58%
Maybe
13%

Total votes: 31

Kiribati princeofcarthage
Retired Contributor

Dynamic Maps

Post by princeofcarthage »

Maps has always played a very important role in game balance. However they never got their due in it. What if we were able to create dynamic maps that affect each civ differently but in similar way, instead of blanket spawns that affect each civ similarly but in different way?

What do I mean by dynamic maps? Well there is a possibility that resources on maps and other things can be dynamically adjusted to civilization present on map. To give an example (just an example) say you are playing British, then you possibly have an extra hunt, or if German say an extra mine, or if Japan say berries instead of hunt, if Port or Aztec say you have water kind of thing.
Fine line to something great is a strange change.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Re: Dynamic Maps

Post by Garja »

no
Image Image Image
Retired Contributor

Well why not?
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

Maps with dangers would be cool. This was something that was promised by the devs back during the development of nilla.

Is there a way of making gaia units automatically hostile?
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

No
:nwc:
Retired Contributor

Imperial Noob wrote:Maps with dangers would be cool. This was something that was promised by the devs back during the development of nilla.

Not sure about that but what type of dangers are you talking about? Somethings are possible like, earthquake (like thing) randomly occurring which damages units, I am not sure about others gotta check.
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

princeofcarthage wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:Maps with dangers would be cool. This was something that was promised by the devs back during the development of nilla.

Not sure about that but what type of dangers are you talking about? Somethings are possible like, earthquake (like thing) randomly occurring which damages units, I am not sure about others gotta check.
I don't necessarily mean area damage from cold and the like, because I've experienced it in Company of Heroes 2 and it's annoying AF. But wild beasts, hostile natives, and outlaws would be neat. In my favourite RTS, Paraworld, the players were often (usually) separated by wildlife on paths towards each other's bases. The turtling tendency was balanced because of the bounties for the beasts slain and found treasures.
Retired Contributor

Imperial Noob wrote:
princeofcarthage wrote:

I don't necessarily mean area damage from cold and the like, because I've experienced it in Company of Heroes 2 and it's annoying AF. But wild beasts, hostile natives, and outlaws would be neat. In my favourite RTS, Paraworld, the players were often (usually) separated by wildlife on paths towards each other's bases. The turtling tendency was balanced because of the bounties for the beasts slain and found treasures.
That could be theoretically be possible though not sure from competitive point of view
No Flag helln00
Howdah
ESO: helln00

Post by helln00 »

There are mod maps that have auto agro lions, I think its called africa and those lions are fucking strong. They bascially kill explorers without support
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor
ESO: dansil92

Post by dansil92 »

If you place "pets" on the map randomly they are hostile but they lack the correct unit tags (theres some funky behaviors when attacking "gaia") so are essentially immortal to any attacks
Retired Contributor

Immortal pets, I like that
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

dansil92 wrote:If you place "pets" on the map randomly they are hostile but they lack the correct unit tags (theres some funky behaviors when attacking "gaia") so are essentially immortal to any attacks
Why could that be? @Development Team
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Imperial Noob wrote:
dansil92 wrote:If you place "pets" on the map randomly they are hostile but they lack the correct unit tags (theres some funky behaviors when attacking "gaia") so are essentially immortal to any attacks
When units attack gaia units they use their "guardian attack" but since pets lack the guardian tag it does 0 damage. Units without a guardian attack can kill them but its inconsistent
Holy See Imperial Noob
Lancer

Post by Imperial Noob »

dansil92 wrote:
Imperial Noob wrote:
When units attack gaia units they use their "guardian attack" but since pets lack the guardian tag it does 0 damage. Units without a guardian attack can kill them but its inconsistent
Wow. A 15-year-old mystery what the heck is a guardian attack solved. It raises a new question though...

What's the purpose of a separate attack in the first place, if key units have multipliers anyway?
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Imperial Noob wrote:
dansil92 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Wow. A 15-year-old mystery what the heck is a guardian attack solved. It raises a new question though...

What's the purpose of a separate attack in the first place, if key units have multipliers anyway?
Guardian attack doesnt have splash damage iirc, plus a few other details. Eaglemut would know more specifics
Retired Contributor

@dansil92 that could probably be fixable though
Isle of Man UpMySleeves
Dragoon
GameRanger ID: 7309280

Post by UpMySleeves »

They are dynamic enough already. [:
Never trust a man in a blue trench coat, never drive a car when you're dead
Great Britain RuinousEdge
Musketeer
ESO: Ruinous_Edge

Post by RuinousEdge »

we need random natural disasters, such as volcanic eruptions, earthquakes & tidal waves. force players to battle nature as well as each other.
!vikings, glory to Valhalla and GUA!!!!
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

The only way I could see it being accepted by competitive players is if, for example, at 10 minutes there is an eqarthquake which blocks or gives access to various parts of the map
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Canada dansil92
Retired Contributor

Post by dansil92 »

Man ya'll need to play some age of mythology