Help - clarification of hotkeys and control groups

India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Help - clarification of hotkeys and control groups

Post by _RDX_ »

I know there are a lot of other threads about this topic, i couldn't find them....so i'm posting one of own. Apologies, if this seemed like a spam.

So, i never use any control groups for buildings or explorers or any scouting unit. I feel like i'm more comfortable without grouping them. The only hotkeys that i use 99% every game Q (Find explorer) E (town center) and W (queue vill). These keys are closer to each other so it is easy for me to use them. I occasionally use hotkeys for finding barracks and stable and i click on the units which i want to create. I have set hotkeys for creating them but i'm in a very lazy/uncomfortable state to use them and most of the times i don't remember which key is which. I use control groups only on military units. Is this sort of playstyle ideal? Is there any recommendations for better hotkeys? How can i get used to using control groups and hotkeys more efficiently? Please leave your suggestions and thank you for your time.
oranges.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Re: Help - clarification of hotkeys and control groups

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

The most important things are :
1) Having a hotkey for production buildings (town center, barrack, stable). Some players are used to using the default hotkeys ("select all barracks" for example), but using control groups is slightly better (though the difference is irrelevant in aoe3).
2) Using control groups for your units. To play competitively (pr30+) you need at least 3 hotkeys (one for ranged infantry, one for cavalry, one for canons), but 4 is better (because it allows you to group your melee infantry or ranged cavalry in different groups).
3) Having hotkeys to produce units so that you don't have to click on the units (like w for vills if you want). This last one is not a must because aoe3 is a slow game, but it's definitely better.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Just gonna repost this:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20490&p=458304&hil ... ng#p458304

In short: refusing to extend beyond your comfort zone will hinder your play, when extending beyond your comfort zone will save you time and energy.

"Practice makes perfect." Automate the brain dead actions, and your brain is able to focus on the not-brain-dead actions. In this sense, you are unleashing a force previously hindered. Let the mouse, the keyboard, be extensions of your physical body. Let the mind then dictate what the automated processes can accomplish, with respect to a greater sense of strategy.

A good player never wonders how they'll mechanically execute, but rather, if their execution will win. Because it becomes subsumed by strategy. Because that is natural. Hotkeys and control groups are little different from walking and breathing.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

It's actually impossible to be comfortable with something without being uncomfortable with it first.

Life advice.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't ever learn to talk.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Honestly, you just have to force yourself to start using them. I remember when I first started using hotkeys I had to do it 1 or 2 at a time, but once I got used to using one it was basically impossible to play without it. That usually only took a day or two as well.

It will slow you down at first, but it won't take long before it becomes second nature.

I think it's important to not try to do them all at once though. That's just not fun and also can be very frustrating, especially if you're not used to using them all the time. Just pick a couple that you're going to use for a few days, then add a couple more once that time is up.
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

There is a way to change more specificly your hotckey? Exemple, i use mouse button for switching hand/range attack or cover mod/hand attack. And the things is, i want one button for range attack on mousket and i want this same button for hand attack to my rodo, and the other button for hand attack on mousket and cover mod on my rod. On my brain its not range vs mele or mele vs cover mod but "normal" set up (which is range for the mousket and hand for rodo) vs "alternative" set up (hand for mousket and cover for rodo).