Total votes: 78

Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01
ESO: miggo1999

Re: Strongest age 2 civ

Post by amiggo1999 »

Garja wrote:
chronique wrote:I didn't think camels were that strong.
They are very strong vs other units because of the multipliers (and also the other stats are fine). India combo is close to the Japan one in fact. Japan probably wins by raiding in late colo.
amiggo1999 wrote:I think brit shouldn't be overlooked. Imo the only civ that really wins in age 2 vs it is russia, and japan late colonial. As India I typically want to age vs brits, as I don't think you can keep up with brit boom, mass & unit strength in age 2. Sure gurkha are nice, but brit will eventually get more cost effective musk, viable cav, as well as better eco ofc. Aside from that I think brits have THE best colonial vs all other civs in age 3, due to lb. If we're talking colonial vs colonial it might not be no1, but top 3-5 in my books.
India destroys Brits past 10 minute mark in colonial, not even close.
I disagree. I think if anything it's close. Zambs are not viable due to the threat of lb, and then again brit will eventualy have more cost effective musk, with more vills and cheap steel traps.
Image Image
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

This is why I ask what exactly is the question about? Is it about late colonial? Because then Japan for sure.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

amiggo1999 wrote:I think brit shouldn't be overlooked. Imo the only civ that really wins in age 2 vs it is russia, and japan late colonial. As India I typically want to age vs brits, as I don't think you can keep up with brit boom, mass & unit strength in age 2. Sure gurkha are nice, but brit will eventually get more cost effective musk, viable cav, as well as better eco ofc. Aside from that I think brits have THE best colonial vs all other civs in age 3, due to lb. If we're talking colonial vs colonial it might not be no1, but top 3-5 in my books.
1. I don't think brit wins against Russia. Russia catches up in eco and you can't really break the musk/strel behind bh.
2. You eventually outboom brit as India (though it takes like 10 min), and sepoy/gurkha beats musk/lb.

I'd argue that Japan has a better late colonial age 2 vs age 3 because upgraded yumis are better than lb, and the speed of the ashis matters so much against skirm/goon, but Brit is stronger than Russia and India against age 3 compositions you're right.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

amiggo1999 wrote:
Garja wrote:
They are very strong vs other units because of the multipliers (and also the other stats are fine). India combo is close to the Japan one in fact. Japan probably wins by raiding in late colo.
I disagree. I think if anything it's close. Zambs are not viable due to the threat of lb, and then again brit will eventualy have more cost effective musk, with more vills and cheap steel traps.
Idk, even after the sepoy nerf I never see Brit winning a colonial war against India. When brit wins it's usually with a semi ff.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by amiggo1999 »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
1. I don't think brit wins against Russia. Russia catches up in eco and you can't really break the musk/strel behind bh.
2. You eventually outboom brit as India (though it takes like 10 min), and sepoy/gurkha beats musk/lb.

I'd argue that Japan has a better late colonial age 2 vs age 3 because upgraded yumis are better than lb, and the speed of the ashis matters so much against skirm/goon, but Brit is stronger than Russia and India against age 3 compositions you're right.
1. Well I never said brit wins vs russia in age 2 haha. I said I think that russia is the only civ that realy beats brits in colonial.
2. It takes a lot longer to outboom brit as india, more like 20min. And yea sepoy gurkha are good vs musk/lb, but again in age 2 brit has the better musk upgrades, hence scales better, and actually has viable tanky cav. I would say that you usuallly want to age as brit anyways in the MU, which leads to india having to follow. I don't think brit can really push vs india age2, but the same applies the other way around. Perhaps eventually when india caught up economically they will be ahead due to not using up as many hunts. But I wouldn't say they really have the better army in late age 2.

Japan may have better late age 2 army than brits. But vs ff civs mid age 2 is more relevant, so in practice I think brits age 2 is the best overall vs age 3 civs.
Image Image
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

I picked otto, since i believe once you reach a good mass of abus (i.e. able to one shot an opposing cav unit) backed up by a couple of jan and hus, buffed with all cards (even AA) in a practical game, where resources on the map are getting low and your opponent is also in age 2, there is no army that can trade well against it.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Pretty sure full strel coss trades really well against it
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Not if you can block the coss with hussars.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Which you can't ever do in late colo as otto vs russ because you can't mass huss like he masses coss + there's boyars and cav hp
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

I pick russia because this civ is strong in age 2 from the start to the end. Russia is top tier age 2 civ in every aspect of the game (good rush, good eco / army scale). Maybe i can shek the stat to know what civ have the best winrate in age 2 or stuff like that.

edit : nvm i can't do that ^^
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Kaiserklein wrote:Which you can't ever do in late colo as otto vs russ because you can't mass huss like he masses coss + there's boyars and cav hp
That's because you're taking economy into account. The question isn't precise enough but with equal economy, Otto beats Russia in colonial.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

chronique wrote:I pick russia because this civ is strong in age 2 from the start to the end. Russia is top tier age 2 civ in every aspect of the game (good rush, good eco / army scale). Maybe i can shek the stat to know what civ have the best winrate in age 2 or stuff like that.

You can do that with the NWC games. Someone made a sheet with some data about aging times.
France louis293
Musketeer
ESO: obelix293

Post by louis293 »

i think u clearly have to take account of the eco in this threat no ? its a very important aspect of the strength of a civ.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

You can, it depends on the question.
Besides, Otto can get a very decent eco with 4 TPs, so it's not an impossible situation.
France louis293
Musketeer
ESO: obelix293

Post by louis293 »

yeah sure, but imagine a game where u are not allowed to age 3, who would you favor between otto and russia ? who would you pick ?
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

Japan
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

amiggo1999 wrote:
Garja wrote:
Lbows are not a threat. The standard vs Brits (and any civ actually) is gurka/zamb/sowar. Sowars are extremely good at countering infantry (much better job than basically any euro cav) and zambs destroy hand cav to the point that basically any civ is at disavantage in colo. Having more efficient musks is pointless when the opponent has skirms.
As for eco, India outscales Brits after 10-12 minutes mostly because Brit vills suffers lot of idle time and India has exports to fill the gaps when the vill allocation is not optimal.
Image Image Image
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Btw Russia > otto in late colo. Actually most civs > otto past a certain point. Otto colonial is all about the 50 military pop at 9 min with jan/abus/huss.
Image Image Image
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
chronique wrote:I pick russia because this civ is strong in age 2 from the start to the end. Russia is top tier age 2 civ in every aspect of the game (good rush, good eco / army scale). Maybe i can shek the stat to know what civ have the best winrate in age 2 or stuff like that.

You can do that with the NWC games. Someone made a sheet with some data about aging times.
I am interested by that!
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

I think it was a @BrookG thread.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

Are you looking for that? viewtopic.php?f=19&t=17351
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Ye.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

pretty sure u can just full sepoy and passively get a better eco vs brit as india
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Overall, I would say Russia because they are strong in early, mid, and late Colonial with good economic scaling and can even do well vs a Fortress age opponent and have a decent follow up to Fortress as well.

Otherwise India is really good because they have access to skirm/goon, but they struggle vs civs that have good light infantry like Yumis or Abus Guns. They do well in matchups where their camels are useful, like vs Russia and Aztec.

Late Colonial it’s for sure Japan. Great economic scaling and really good military upgrades.
Germany amiggo1999
Advanced Player
Donator 01

Post by amiggo1999 »

Garja wrote:
amiggo1999 wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Lbows are not a threat. The standard vs Brits (and any civ actually) is gurka/zamb/sowar. Sowars are extremely good at countering infantry (much better job than basically any euro cav) and zambs destroy hand cav to the point that basically any civ is at disavantage in colo. Having more efficient musks is pointless when the opponent has skirms.
As for eco, India outscales Brits after 10-12 minutes mostly because Brit vills suffers lot of idle time and India has exports to fill the gaps when the vill allocation is not optimal.
You just get shat on by lb if you go gurkha/zamb. Sure it's a good combo vs most civs, but both units are too vulnerable to lb. Just some musk & huss to block from sowars and you should be able to deal with that just fine. Sepoy are what you need in order to fight the lb properly, but then again the later on upgraded musk don't really make that easy. Maybe you they catch up a bit sooner with the eco yea, but still I don't think either civ has an easy time winning in colonial really.
Image Image