Looking for games

No Flag Jackedrabbit4
Crossbow
ESO: Jackedrabbit4

Looking for games

Post by Jackedrabbit4 »

Anyone up to play BO14, play each civ once on classic Asians dynasty aoe? I don't like the DE yet, waiting for it to be fun and fixed. I'll be free this weekend, someone PR 19-26 is in my range. Hard to find games on old Aoe, but I like it much better at the time being.
Greece LazarosVas
Dragoon
Clan: GMDS

Re: Looking for games

Post by LazarosVas »

Buy the DE
No Flag Jackedrabbit4
Crossbow

Post by Jackedrabbit4 »

LazarosVas wrote:Buy the DE
I have it, it's lame. TAD is nostalgic and actually works
No Flag Jackedrabbit4
Crossbow

Post by Jackedrabbit4 »

Plus they keep releasing pay to win civs, and I haven't kept up with the meta. By the time I learn what's going on they'll have 5 more civs and it won't even be the same game. Last I played everyone just abused colonial militia and Sweden, and it didn't feel like the same game. Even changing some of the cool voices, the graphics somehow look worse, and only rated quicksearch. I liked hosting a game and doing the civ dance until a rated matchup was agreed upon. So many civs are unusable in QS and I like to play them all when I get presented the opportunity.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

This is pretty much the same reaction many had after playing just a few games on DE. Quick to compare without even having a real grasp on DE. No matter the 'pay to win civs' (right now Mexico is OP upon release, which is going to get fixed), DE is superior just because of active support. So is matchmaking. I'm around your PR level (vaguely Captain) and it's fairly easy to find games through regular DE quicksearch.
You may still dabble in nostalgia and forever despise DE for some valid reasons, but I'd guess a fair share of your aversion originates from unwillingness to accept new things (edit: sorry, if that assumption is wrong.)

Might as well give DE another try after the next patch. Until then, I hope you find someone to play on legacy, which will be quite hard.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

jesus3 wrote:This is pretty much the same reaction many had after playing just a few games on DE. Quick to compare without even having a real grasp on DE. No matter the 'pay to win civs' (right now Mexico is OP upon release, which is going to get fixed), DE is superior just because of active support. So is matchmaking. I'm around your PR level (vaguely Captain) and it's fairly easy to find games through regular DE quicksearch.
You may still dabble in nostalgia and forever despise DE for some valid reasons, but I'd guess a fair share of your aversion originates from unwillingness to accept new things.

Might as well give DE another try after the next patch. Until then, I hope you find someone to play on legacy, which will be quite hard.
i totally agree with that
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

Jackedrabbit4 wrote:Plus they keep releasing pay to win civs, and I haven't kept up with the meta. By the time I learn what's going on they'll have 5 more civs and it won't even be the same game. Last I played everyone just abused colonial militia and Sweden, and it didn't feel like the same game. Even changing some of the cool voices, the graphics somehow look worse, and only rated quicksearch. I liked hosting a game and doing the civ dance until a rated matchup was agreed upon. So many civs are unusable in QS and I like to play them all when I get presented the opportunity.
just do lobby games in DE with nilla civs only, i understand that u like lobby more then qs which is fair, but your other stuff purely relies on nostalgia & DE is a better game in terms of graphics
Germany InaLeto
Crossbow
ESO: InaLeto

Post by InaLeto »

Kartoffel Joe wrote:& DE is a better game in terms of graphics
Not for me: With my pc to get DE fluid, the graphics are rly not that good. The good old 144-fps-all-on-max-legacy-look is nicer and more smoother then all i can get on DE.

Iam playing DE, but not bec of the graphics... :)
Latvia harcha
Gendarme
ESO: hatamoto_samurai

Post by harcha »

yeah the whole graphics thing is totally subjective. the most clear way of seeing and differentiating the units and map really was legacy with all settings on lowest for me.
POC wrote:Also I most likely know a whole lot more than you.
POC wrote:Also as an objective third party, and near 100% accuracy of giving correct information, I would say my opinions are more reliable than yours.
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

jesus3 wrote:This is pretty much the same reaction many had after playing just a few games on DE. Quick to compare without even having a real grasp on DE. No matter the 'pay to win civs' (right now Mexico is OP upon release, which is going to get fixed), DE is superior just because of active support. So is matchmaking. I'm around your PR level (vaguely Captain) and it's fairly easy to find games through regular DE quicksearch.
You may still dabble in nostalgia and forever despise DE for some valid reasons, but I'd guess a fair share of your aversion originates from unwillingness to accept new things.

Wouldn't you agree that OP's point about 'pay to win' civs is a completely valid point? I can imagine that if one does not like the way MS is going about releasing new civs, that one would not consider the 'active support' much of a benefit.

It then doesn't really seem like aversion does not really originate from unwillingness to accept new things, and your entire point becomes pretty much futile. The only valid argument as to why DE would be better is that it's easier to find games, which isn't really a quality of the game itself.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

harcha wrote:yeah the whole graphics thing is totally subjective. the most clear way of seeing and differentiating the units and map really was legacy with all settings on lowest for me.
true. i think its cause nostalgia and you guys played more on Legacy then me that you prefere the old look, for me DE on low settings looks better then Legacy ( more zoom, better ui)(also i use DE grid hotkeys and dont like legacy hotkeys (De lets u decide and customize ur keys more)
Germany InaLeto
Crossbow
ESO: InaLeto

Post by InaLeto »

Hehe, as fast as possible i changed the hotkeys on DE back to legacay-mode... Grid isnt a thing for me! But nice to have the options!
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

RefluxSemantic wrote:

Wouldn't you agree that OP's point about 'pay to win' civs is a completely valid point? I can imagine that if one does not like the way MS is going about releasing new civs, that one would not consider the 'active support' much of a benefit.

It then doesn't really seem like aversion does not really originate from unwillingness to accept new things, and your entire point becomes pretty much futile. The only valid argument as to why DE would be better is that it's easier to find games, which isn't really a quality of the game itself.
Indeed, pretty much all newly added civs were overpowered upon release, USA being the exception to the rule. That is one of the valid points I saw and admitted to. Same goes for design of new civs, whichs are getting more convoluted and confusing each time. That leads to QS usually sucking after a new civ gets added, until the next patch rectifies some glaring mistakes.

I suspected OP to harbour some reluctant sentiment though, since he didn't appear to have followed the progress made after his initial try at all - which should be almost a year ago I'd surmise.

If he did, he would have known that, as time progressed, they now tend to address OP features way faster and more swiftly than at the beginning with Sweden's case - current Sweden might even be a bit underpowered. You could still make a point for Inca being annoying af by design, even OP in a top player's hands.

But it's not just matchmaking that is better, also less lag and frequent patches as well as the aforementioned official support. Probably forgot some other arguments, but I'm not here to defend the game. If you don't like the game, sure, there's no point in trying to convince that someone.
Germany Joe
Dragoon

Post by Joe »

InaLeto wrote:Hehe, as fast as possible i changed the hotkeys on DE back to legacay-mode... Grid isnt a thing for me! But nice to have the options!
yeah thats mainly due to habit, if i was used to the old hotkeys and played years on legacy i wouldnt either ^_^
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

Again, what's official support worth when it primarily concerns releasing pay to win civs that ruin quick search?

So really DE features less lag and no cheaters (according to you, I wouldn't know).

Frequent patches are hardly a benefit, given that with EP we had that + much better balance. Official support seems to mostly be a downside in the eyes of OP, which I can understand. If one also misses the nostalgia, and dislikes all of the added content (which is a valid opinion), then what's all the big benefit of DE? OP made reasonable points elaborating why he doesn't want to play on DE, so I don't really see why this bit needs to be discussed. Especially when you're giving relatively poor arguments.
Tokelau jesus3
Jaeger

Post by jesus3 »

Yes. Sorry if I assumed something incorrectly, wrong of me to get personal.
Just wanted to possibly correct some false assumptions about the current state. My mistake was to answer too seriously and let this become a discussion. I am not obliged to defend anything, just felt like it.

You're right, me bad. I missed the point.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

the main bonus of DE is no lag and better maps and being guaranteed to get a game within 3-5 minutes. legacy was such a pain in the ass tbh. sit refreshing the browser for 10 min, find a game, get kicked from the lobby for being too low / too high / not the friend the host wanted, repeat, find another lobby with the same PR as you but the host is AFK, spam 11 for 2 minutes, leave, find another game and get the failed to join error, finally find a game, it starts and every min there is a lag spike that freezes the game bc your opponent is playing from an antarctic research station. basically you would spend 15-20 minutes looking for games before you could play some nights unless you had specific plans with someone
No Flag Jackedrabbit4
Crossbow

Post by Jackedrabbit4 »

Hey I have no problem with change, October 15th was a really exciting day for me when new content for my favorite game came out. Only problem is they changed so much it's hard to even recognize it as the same game, and I played all day the 15th just to find bugs non stop. The change from TAD to DE is so different from vanilla to tad... The 3 warchiefs civ were kind of their own thing, the Asians felt a little European, and the European civs all had good and bad matchups. With the exception of Iro and Otto the civs blended and meshed well together, enough to make several civs an option to play as against one civ. These new civs are just out there, weird concepts and designs that weren't as intelligently designed as whatever team of people worked on the original. My main civ is Aztec, so I have no problem playing weird civs, but even Aztec feels more like the original civs than these other new ones do. I tried USA and liked playing as them, Aizamk made some mill rush. Last thing I remember, African civs came out and I quit DE again. I guess I'd rather have them make something right the first time than have a team of people fixing things, just to release something new that they will need to fix again! I think the game needs to settle to a constant state, so people can finally make strategies without them changing every month.
United States of America Squamiger
Howdah
ESO: Squamiger

Post by Squamiger »

i try to remind myself whenever i feel frustrated with DE that it might just be that i am tired of this game in general, and it will never be as fun as it was when i was a teenager playing it after school with no real obligations
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

Jackedrabbit4 wrote:Anyone up to play BO14, play each civ once on classic Asians dynasty aoe? I don't like the DE yet, waiting for it to be fun and fixed. I'll be free this weekend, someone PR 19-26 is in my range. Hard to find games on old Aoe, but I like it much better at the time being.
i can play with you if you want but forget the "play each civ once", i can berely play 5 or 6 of them
Australia JKProwler
Dragoon

Post by JKProwler »

1v1 qs is just so much better imo in DE. Team games on the other hand, I think DE is lacking.

I miss the ranks and ranked matches with fair teams
Brazil DNLgibraltar
Skirmisher

Post by DNLgibraltar »

Jackedrabbit4 wrote:Hey . These new civs are just out there, weird concepts and designs that weren't as intelligently designed as whatever team of people worked on the original.
I had just realized that that pepper card of Mexicans is exactly like Ra's god power in Age of Mythology. Almost all Africans units have a gimmick or special ability, it reminds me of AOM mythical units.

I mean even their explorers on top of being better have a better special ability to take down guardians (Chaos god power) and they get unlockable "spells" that are just like Ares' Pestilence, Reia' chaos and Eieinjerr's morale boost. So much for "representation"...

I'm not against it but TAD adapted gimmicks better:
The moment I saw those outposts becoming upgraded mobile siege guns and moving to the enemy base I lost it. XD
I LMAO so much. I was like "what the fuck I'm playing? This ain't no age of empires".
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

can this post get moved into legacy section? he refer to legacy..
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

ǝɯɐuɹǝsn wrote:can this post get moved into legacy section? he refer to legacy..
Yeah, done :flowers:
France ǝɯɐuɹǝsn
Dragoon

Post by ǝɯɐuɹǝsn »

thank you!