Spoiler Alerts for Recorded Games

No Flag kushkush
Musketeer

Post by kushkush »

I just hate knowing who wins before watching the recs :P is there any kind of spoiler alert people can start using from ro16 onward? I know it's difficult, given the bracket setup on challonge.com, but I would really like to not know who wins when I'm downloading your recs! A possible separation between winner of the brackets on challonge.com and the placement of recs on this site could help. Any thoughts on how to implement a system like this? Or basically it's impossible?
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

I know some clans or forums like to keep recs on their site for traffic or popularity but in all honesty, we should post recs on rts-sanctuary.com .
Their rec system (for those that don't know) is fantastic, it shows PR elo hide winner option, number of downloads (which I like). Up to the bosses.

Ps: it'd be cool to revive some activity on their as well.
No Flag kushkush
Musketeer

Post by kushkush »

I'm familiar with the RTS setup on spoilers and I agree that it works. First thoughts are that the management does probably want to keep everything here, for ease of access. It is their tournament after all. As incentive, I promise to donate to the prize pot if attempts are made to produce any kind of spoiler system, whether it works or not. Maybe others want the doubt of the winner and would also consider donating too? :P
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

[spoiler]{Why don't you click on me kushkush!}{Spoiler}I have added a spoiler function! You think that this is a good solution for now?

You can add a spoiler by clicking on the :o face, the last button in the row.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]{How does it work?}{Spoiler}Don't use the Preview option in the bottom, but click on BBCode. You can now add/remove

Code: Select all

[spoiler]
and

Code: Select all

[/spoiler]
tags and create as many spoilers as you want.[/spoiler]
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

you mean how does the REC system work its like this:
http://www.rts-sanctuary.com/The-Asian- ... try1191206
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Yes, I understand that would be even better, but using spoilers is a good solution to prevent...spoilers :P

I want to look into the RTS-Sanc system, but I am afraid we can't simply implement that. However, if you just say the player names, civs and map and use a spoiler, you have all the information that is really important.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

It's just usually who uploads game is the winner, so spoiler option ain't that great afterall. Staff should be the ones uploading the games now.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

ideally it will survive as we will have more events and this community is badly in need of a forum that good people would post to.

We have a nice starting point and will see if anything comes of it
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

as H20 said, the current site is already hosting a tournament and other events will follow. we also have the betting thing going on which is really fun

no spoilers, but long term plans are being worked on, right here on this site

afaik the replay system poses the biggest challenge but it's not something which is impossible to overcome. i've looked over what proboards can do and they have what it takes to make a perfect viable community site. RTSS is indeed incredibly slow these days, as well as kind of being left alone by its owners. it's nice that the site is still around but no one over there is doing anything to maintain it

so tl'dr, stick around eso community if you want forums for age of empires 3 ^^
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

you mean he's well suited for the job or?

the main problem with hosting another site entirely is just that: funds and a team that would actually have time to develop everything from ground 0 to something which is close to what RTSS is. i'm not sure if that's viable at all
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

To start off, I want to say thank you to the people here, your time and effort is greatly appreciated.
Having said that,it seems you are trying to reinvent the wheel, and a very polished one at that. RTS has everything essentially perfected, is it selfish to try to create something to call your own when there is already a place better suited for the community?
Basically what I'm saying is: I have played in a few tournaments over the years, and half the time it is hosted by a clan that forces you to register and sign up for the tournament on their forums. They make you post the recs on their forums as well, but every time, after the tournament is done and gone, 90% of those users never post again. I believe a place like rts, people are more likely to become regulars. What tells me this site is going to be the same way as past clan tourney sites - aoe3 general discussion - or lack of. People are only posting here in regards to the tournament.
Now maybe this is just the state of the community, and no matter how great a site there is, there may not be that many players left. Anyway, just my thoughts.

PS: if you guys really think RTS is too slow then my entire post is irrelevant.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

RTS sanctuary unfortunately, other than being slow, is also run from voobly guys who are pretty much inactive/not aware of the aoe3 community. For example ladders have been changed to the voobly ones without anyone really asked it (or if anyone did they followed a bad advice anyway).

Also I want to point out that after the PK forums were pretty active from quite some time. It's only after last tourney fuss that they lost popularity.
Image Image Image
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

Valid concerns Soldier.

As garja says the main problem with rts-sanc is it's not hosted by members of the aoe3 communitys, which is a shame as their rec system is awesome.

Anyhows something tells me it's going to be a little different this time, have some faith ')
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

It's also not easy for new users to get into RTS-Sanctuary, there are already 1000s of threads, but they've all been inactive for a very long time. The site just has a dead feel to it =/

@Neuron, if I recall correctly, Amhaye only made one forum for the Mac community, which was also for a tournament. Yes, it died, but that's more a result of the Mac community being so small that we didn't really need a forum anymore: we could just meet up and talk on GameRanger or Mumble at any time pretty much. I would also like to point out that it's not just Amhaye who's been working on this forum. We have a great team, and I think the site has potential.
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

I actually had no idea it would link your name if I typed @ first XD that's actually a pretty cool feature
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

The fact that the Adkins are inactive on RTS is irrelevant to me, there really is nothing on there that we need admins to change.

Also, I believe zuta has substantial power over there and I believe he can make news posts and probably clean some things up if he wished.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

The way it feels to me is that RTSS has run its course and become too complex and too slow. There's no denying that the replay system is awesome but the rest of it is just dead weight (VIP system, ladders, etc). RTSS was great but its decline began as soon as Robo handed over the reigns to Voobly. Not because Voobly is evil, but because they didn't have the same goals as Robo did. Even basic features, such as forum navigation, don't work well anymore.

The goal with ESOC is to give everyone a new forum to discuss Aoe3. We don't need anything too complicated, just basic features which are done well:
- Faster and more responsive site
- top players posting here and posting replays here
- a hub where we can list streams and VOD content so that they're easily accessible
- hosting tournaments (there is more to come after the current tournament, afaik)
- hosting betting for the tournaments
- off topic with freedom of speech (as long as it's civil)

It can be done on this site because it's capable enough (and it's free, so no asking for members to pay for hosting). Well all of this is "in the works" but it's a secret, so don't tell anyone. ')
Garja wrote:
Pro Player

Post by SoldieR »

I don't want this to be taken in a negative ways, but some basic things are missing from here...
A simple homepage URL
anything that visually communicates this is an age of empires forum
Quick reply(maybe im missing in options)
Any type of replay system, I've seen very basic sites at least count the number of downloads(clicks) (I'm guessing something in JS like

onclick = function(){var count' count= count +1' document.write(count)'}

Again, I don't want to seem too negative, but these are all things that a once great site already has.

I watched last night a speech from a guy that worked on AOEO titled "Age of Empires Online' how not to do f2p"
And it focused on something not being ready at the time of fans flooding into it.
At this point you probably think I'm insane, but I see a very sure time where aoe3 will have an influx of people. Just recently they had a sale and our numbers doubled for a few weeks, then fell away. There is the ten year aoe3 anniversary in October, and I guarantee MS will make a sale to get some free money off that. This is be another flood of people, and we need to try to have a solid community to welcome them at that time.
We have good things going, streams, tourney. We just need to find one solid place for our community to stay, and to look attractive to new players.

I love this game a ton, and it would be great to see it rise again, no matter what forum the community chooses to frequent. But I think when that time comes, we should have a place to call our own and like we do with twitch, post game titles for the website. That window will come ')
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

iamsoldier wrote:At this point you probably think I''m insane

Totally sane amico.

As to your list of things that the site needs I refer you back to what incog says,

"Well all of this is "in the works" but it''s a secret, so don''t tell anyone. ')"

We had over 450 people watching Garja/Boneng, seems 300 people visited this forum in the last 24 hours, there''s enough interest and people to make it work.