Northwest passage

United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Northwest passage

Post by Papist »

I personally use this card as France because I have nothing better to put in my tr deck. But is it actually a good card? Naturally the guardian buff is crap, but is there anything good to say about the speed buff? Does the buff actually help vils gather faster (since moving faster on mills and plants might let them overcome bumpage more quickly)? Is it worth it when trying to counter a runner, or trying to run yourself?
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Northwest passage

Post by anonymous123 »

Technically it should help in gathering faster, but the difference would be so small, I don't think it's worth a card. Might give it a shot in nr20/nr10 with tp.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Northwest passage

Post by gibson »

Didn't it used to be a NR40 myth that that card helped you gather faster because they would walk faster on Mills or something?
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Northwest passage

Post by anonymous123 »

gibson wrote:Didn''t it used to be a NR40 myth that that card helped you gather faster because they would walk faster on Mills or something?
It''s not a myth, Its already proved in another post that if vills walk faster they gather faster.
No Flag CatastrofizeThis
Crossbow

Northwest passage

Post by CatastrofizeThis »

[video src="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVY8LoM47xI"][/video]
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Northwest passage

Post by adderbrain5 »

anonymous123 wrote:
gibson wrote:Didnt it used to be a NR40 myth that that card helped you gather faster because they would walk faster on Mills or something?
Its not a myth, Its already proved in another post that if vills walk faster they gather faster.

however on mills plantations I dont think that matters. I believe that is just an animation. Could be wrong though. But the guardian buff is not crap at all. Try it along with pioneers and wilderness warfare in a map like Yukon and see if its not worth it. You dont even need to gather resources until age 3 of course its not worth it in low treasure so called balanced ESOC maps (which have really succeeded in unbalancing the civs by taking away map advantages Like this one that some civs have.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Northwest passage

Post by gibson »

anonymous123 wrote:
gibson wrote:Didnt it used to be a NR40 myth that that card helped you gather faster because they would walk faster on Mills or something?
Its not a myth, Its already proved in another post that if vills walk faster they gather faster.

doubt it
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Northwest passage

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:
anonymous123 wrote:Its not a myth, Its already proved in another post that if vills walk faster they gather faster.
doubt it

why would you? Its actually been proven that mills with 7 rather than 10 vills on it gather slightly faster, because the vills bump into eachother while walking around. So why wouldnt increased walking speed increase the gathering rate from mills.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Northwest passage

Post by Cometk »

it does give a boost. remember folks, time spent walking is time spent not gathering resources. when a villager is walking around a mill or plantation, he is not gathering resources.

but in practice the boost is so negligible that it does not warrant the card slot it takes up. it's around a 2 to 4% gather bonus, or roughly 1/5th as effective as food silos (discovery age 15% mill gather card).
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Northwest passage

Post by gibson »

jerom wrote:
gibson wrote:doubt it
why would you? Its actually been proven that mills with 7 rather than 10 vills on it gather slightly faster, because the vills bump into eachother while walking around. So why wouldnt increased walking speed increase the gathering rate from mills.
it appears Im wrong, and I dont care enough to actually go test it for myself.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Northwest passage

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:
jerom wrote:why would you? Its actually been proven that mills with 7 rather than 10 vills on it gather slightly faster, because the vills bump into eachother while walking around. So why wouldnt increased walking speed increase the gathering rate from mills.
it appears Im wrong, and I dont care enough to actually go test it for myself.

I just remember metis doing the test for the 7 vs 10 vills. The conclusion was that itd take a few hours for an extra mill to pay off
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Northwest passage

Post by gibson »

I'm actually fairly sure that vils walking on the mill is just an animation, due to the fact that asian vils on rice paddies stand still, and I highly doubt that Mills and rice paddies have completely different mechanics. If they do then a player playing an Asian civ in a tr game should make rice paddies for all the players.
United States of America Cometk
Retired Contributor

Northwest passage

Post by Cometk »

gibson wrote:I''m actually fairly sure that vils walking on the mill is just an animation, due to the fact that asian vils on rice paddies stand still, and I highly doubt that Mills and rice paddies have completely different mechanics. If they do then a player playing an Asian civ in a tr game should make rice paddies for all the players.

it isn''t an animation simply for show. it accurately reflects that the villagers are not gathering resources.

mills gather at .67 base. paddies gather at .5 base. that''s how they''re balanced. vills lose gathering time when they are walking around a mill but have a higher base gather rate when they are collecting resources. a vill on a paddy never has to walk so it will steadily generate resources at the expense of a slower base rate.

shitty video displaying this fact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6c3HjDMBnU

@edeholland has a better one, if he''d like to post it
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Northwest passage

Post by anonymous123 »

gibson wrote:I''m actually fairly sure that vils walking on the mill is just an animation, due to the fact that asian vils on rice paddies stand still, and I highly doubt that Mills and rice paddies have completely different mechanics. If they do then a player playing an Asian civ in a tr game should make rice paddies for all the players.
They should but like Jerom said it would be hour before the cost of extra mill is actually paid off. For ex if 10 vills gather 1000 food on a mill in 10 min then 7 vills should gather 700 in same time but for theory to work it has to be more than 700, After testing it was found out that it does gather more than 700 but the difference is so less it''s like ~3% as far as I know. ( The values are just for example not real one''s) After considering wood to food conversion based on gather rate''s at 40 min it hardly covers the cost of extra mill. But players usually does it because it gives you lot of xp and you get one card before 40 than player''s who don''t. Also you get eco cards out a lot faster.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Northwest passage

Post by gibson »

cometk wrote:
gibson wrote:Im actually fairly sure that vils walking on the mill is just an animation, due to the fact that asian vils on rice paddies stand still, and I highly doubt that Mills and rice paddies have completely different mechanics. If they do then a player playing an Asian civ in a tr game should make rice paddies for all the players.
it isnt an animation simply for show. it accurately reflects that the villagers are not gathering resources.

mills gather at .67 base. paddies gather at .5 base. thats how theyre balanced. vills lose gathering time when they are walking around a mill but have a higher base gather rate when they are collecting resources. a vill on a paddy never has to walk so it will steadily generate resources at the expense of a slower base rate.

shitty video displaying this fact: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6c3HjDMBnU

@edeholland has a better one, if hed like to post it

damnit I really dont wanna believe that its not an animation but it seems that I have to