Should there be an AoE5?

No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

I have faith that Microsoft will be able to revive the AoE series, but do you guys think there should be an AoE5? Especially considering how badly the franchise was brought to an end, and the fact that Ensemble Studios was dissolved, don't you agree there's a strong chance that a new AoE game will be as underwhelming and, more importantly, commercially disappointing as the previous release?

I earnestly await your thoughts on this concern.
No Flag mamapapaisop
Skirmisher

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by mamapapaisop »

Aoe5? Where ist Aoe4 then lol
in my opinion they should update aoe3 because i think the next aoe generation like aoe4/aoe5 wouldnt play in the same time as aoe3 tho
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

AoE4 was AoE Online.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Goodspeed »

Should be AoE4, that way we can all pretend AoEO doesn't exist
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by divine_moon »

calmyourtits wrote:Should be AoE4, that way we can all pretend AoEO doesn''t exist
Totally agreed, AoeO was really (facepalm)imagine the people who put in REAL money to buy those civs.. :o they can''t even use them offline :P
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

Anyway I don't think they should make another AoE game, because at best it'll just be a starcraft rip-off, and it worst it will be another flop.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by SoldieR »

AOEO i loved it :(
just need to get into it
but i made profit from it :)
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by musketeer925 »

frycookofdoom wrote:AoE4 was AoE Online.

That doesn''t make sense, AoM was between AoE2 and AoE3, but it didn''t increment the numbers.

Also, using numbers seems to be going out of date in some series. Look at the latest SimCity for example, despite being just as large as their previous versions, it was just called "SimCity" and not SimCity 5.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by WickedCossack »

frycookofdoom wrote:Anyway I don''t think they should make another AoE game, because at best it''ll just be a starcraft rip-off, and it worst it will be another flop.

As far as RTS games go SC2 and AoE3 are pretty darn far apart. I don''t see why AoE4 would need to be a rip off, AoE has always had the best resource gathering and economy managment compared with any popular RTS (i.e sc mining of minerals ... very interesting, not.) What exactly did you have in mind that AoE4 needs to copy from starcraft ?

Also we need more RTS games, about 1 gets made every year compared to the 1000000000000000 from every other genre.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

wickedcossack wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Anyway I dont think they should make another AoE game, because at best itll just be a starcraft rip-off, and it worst it will be another flop.
As far as RTS games go SC2 and AoE3 are pretty darn far apart. I dont see why AoE4 would need to be a rip off, AoE has always had the best resource gathering and economy managment compared with any popular RTS (i.e sc mining of minerals ... very interesting, not.) What exactly did you have in mind that AoE4 needs to copy from starcraft ?

Also we need more RTS games, about 1 gets made every year compared to the 1000000000000000 from every other genre.
Because if the game isnt virtually identical to Starcraft, nobody will buy it. RTS games have to be made accessible in order to attract fans and become profitable. Hence the popularity of games like Starcraft 2 and League of Legends, which are extremely dumbed-down, streamlined variants of their counterparts.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

musketeer925 wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:AoE4 was AoE Online.
That doesnt make sense, AoM was between AoE2 and AoE3, but it didnt increment the numbers.

Also, using numbers seems to be going out of date in some series. Look at the latest SimCity for example, despite being just as large as their previous versions, it was just called "SimCity" and not SimCity 5.
Thats because Age of Mythology belonged to a different series and was based on a different concept. AoE:O wasnt.
United States of America musketeer925
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: musketeer925

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by musketeer925 »

frycookofdoom wrote:
musketeer925 wrote:That doesnt make sense, AoM was between AoE2 and AoE3, but it didnt increment the numbers.

Thats because Age of Mythology belonged to a different series and was based on a different concept. AoE:O wasnt.

Having persistent, always-online components and a F2P business model isnt a different concept?
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Metis »

Neither AOEO or AOECS were/are AOE IV, they are lateral games of the series like AOM.

If you want to know where MS is putting its bucks you need look no further than Minecraft, for which it paid a cool $2.5 billion (yes, billion with a "B"). Minecraft made MS about $170 million the first quarter of this year. Compare this with AOE III, which has 1.6 millon total online accounts after ten years. Minecraft had sold 54 million units across all platforms as of last year.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by divine_moon »

metis wrote:Neither AOEO or AOECS were/are AOE IV, they are lateral games of the series like AOM.

If you want to know where MS is putting its bucks you need look no further than Minecraft, for which it paid a cool $2.5 billion (yes, billion with a "B"). Minecraft made MS about $170 million the first quarter of this year. Compare this with AOE III, which has 1.6 millon total online accounts after ten years. Minecraft had sold 54 million units across all platforms as of last year.
we may be 1.6, but we''re a loyal bunch.. :D
which other game has gone on for sooo long?
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mimsy for President »

We want AOE V with Frostbite engine !
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

musketeer925 wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Thats because Age of Mythology belonged to a different series and was based on a different concept. AoE:O wasnt.

Having persistent, always-online components and a F2P business model isnt a different concept?
No, because the core principles regarding gameplay and historical context were still retained, as opposed to AoM which departed from them significantly.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

metis wrote:Neither AOEO or AOECS were/are AOE IV, they are lateral games of the series like AOM.

I''m afraid you''re going to need some arguments to back up those assertions, Metis. This is the internet, nobody here gets away with making arbitrary claims like that.
No Flag mistamadness
Crossbow

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by mistamadness »

Wtf is AOECS?
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Goodspeed »

frycookofdoom wrote:

Im afraid youre going to need some arguments to back up those assertions, Metis. This is the internet, nobody here gets away with making arbitrary claims like that.
What about the fact that they arent named AoE IV?

Id say thats a decent argument for the fact that they arent AoE IV. But hey who am I..

Anyway not sure about AoE4, a part of me really wants it to happen but another part knows I wont have the time to actually get into it as much as AoE3 and that, to me, was the most fun part' massing 30 games a day seeing myself improve. Also, it might kill our cozy little AoE3 community and odds are itll suck, like you said.
No Flag Mr. Pecksniff
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Mr. Pecksniff »

calmyourtits wrote:
frycookofdoom wrote:Im afraid youre going to need some arguments to back up those assertions, Metis. This is the internet, nobody here gets away with making arbitrary claims like that.
What about the fact that they arent named AoE IV?

Id say thats a decent argument for the fact that they arent AoE IV. But hey who am I..

Anyway not sure about AoE4, a part of me really wants it to happen but another part knows I wont have the time to actually get into it as much as AoE3 and that, to me, was the most fun part' massing 30 games a day seeing myself improve. Also, it might kill our cozy little AoE3 community and odds are itll suck, like you said.
That was plain marketing. The name doesnt have any influence on the fundamental essence of the game, and therefore shouldnt determine whether the game deserves to be considered the spiritual successor of AoE3.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Metis »

I'd say that's a decent argument for the fact that they aren't AoE IV.

I agree, if MS was going to make AOE IV they would name it AOE IV. This is the same as Origin making Ultima Online and not calling it Ultima 10. Of course, who knows what MS thinks sometimes. Windows 9 is called Windows 10.

What other RTS games have been around as long as the AOE franchise?

Diablo
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Rikikipu »

Microsoft published job offers this january. They were looking for developers, because they create a new studio called "Decisive Games" in order to do a "new game of an established and well-loved strategy game franchise".
So it could be Halo Wars, Rise of Nations or Age of Empires.
We will see...
France iNcog
Ninja

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by iNcog »

You know, I'd read something about a game engine with supposedly excellent performance for RTS games. It was some youtube video, might have been bragging about DX12 or something. Maybe I should fish that out
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag divine_moon
Dragoon

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by divine_moon »

i'd just be happy with a whole lot of new civs INTO aoe3.. :D

possibly a few african ones & and any civ which was of some relevance during the aoe3 timeperiod (from south america? asia/ europe.. anywhere.. :P )

also a new addon of techs like "revolution" in TWC & "wonders" in TAD, would be enouf for me... ')
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Should there be an AoE5?

Post by Papist »

@frycookofdoom. WTF are you talking about? There is no need for AoE to become a StarCraft rip-off. I sincerly doubt a historical game would attract the science fiction crowd anyways.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.