How Good are Japanese players?

No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

well to be more specific, since nagayumi is the best jap player during his peak, how would u rate him ? in the spring championship he was pretty solid against BS i feel if he had taken the last 2 games more seriously the outcome may have had been different (although BS might be better)
I know this is a shit post but hey :p
Germany blasdg
Dragoon

Post by blasdg »

Their strongest feature is the lag that occurs when u play vs them.

Back in 2007 we had an RTSL match vs Mori. Fird, clare and Airlity were the names and they lagged so unbelievably hard that the last 5 minutes ingame lasted for like 15-20 minutes irl. It was awful, even thoguh we still won that game.

On a more serious note I think these players dont give a shit about matchups and broken civs and just play. They arent whiny bitches as our "pros" who are in tears constantly because the matchup was bad, the map was bad, they didnt play on their computer, the cat jumped on the keayboard during the deciding fight, they were on vacation and had to play in an internet cafe without hotkeys or - and this TRULY happened - they didnt have a mouse and played with the touchscreen on their laptop (MusketJr told this to me 111).
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Japanese player's build orders are interesting.

Actually I think Boneng is currently the best Jap player, because he has very high experience and he utilized like 90% of his experience into skill. He is also the most fearless player imo.

Boneng doesn't always go crazy, he plays standard most of the times. Whatever he does is mostly right. His micro is insane.

Boneng is also master of all civs. That's why I love him.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

I'm not sure if they are any better or worse than Western players, they just have a different play style. This can be best seen during international tournaments.

For example, Japanese players typically prefer to age up whenever possible, rather than mass units. They also seem to enjoy playing water (Boneng is the best example of this).
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

They're freakin' Japs! Go figure...
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

They play only 1 civ, have dozens of weird decks without crates and upgrades, spam thousands of qs games, use suboptimal strats, lag and don't speak English. That's how good they are.

Matsujun is a nice caster though. He has a cool facecam and advertises vacuum cleaners and laser guns on his stream.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

yurashic wrote:They play only 1 civ, have dozens of weird decks without crates and upgrades, spam thousands of qs games, use suboptimal strats, lag and don''t speak English. That''s how good they are.

Matsujun is a nice caster though. He has a cool facecam and advertises vacuum cleaners and laser guns on his stream.

boneng nagayumi play only 1 civ?
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

paul wrote:
yurashic wrote:They play only 1 civ, have dozens of weird decks without crates and upgrades, spam thousands of qs games, use suboptimal strats, lag and dont speak English. Thats how good they are.

boneng nagayumi play only 1 civ?

They dont, but they are probably the most "western" out of the JP community in terms of build orders and decks.

Boneng used to play only Ottomans in the past, check his elo.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

They aren't very good mecanicaly but have a very good game understanding. But still they aren't as good as _h2o or bs.
India Nymphomaniac
Dragoon

Post by Nymphomaniac »

On paper they will look much worse than western players for using their not so standard builds, but when playing seriously like in a tournament they can take out many PR 35+ players who use standard builds. Only players like _h2o or samwise who make minimum mistakes under pressure can beat their weird play styles relatively easily.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

They are like the gentle Aceru Gamerus of the Far East...
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

diarouga wrote:They aren''t very good mecanicaly but have a very good game understanding. But still they aren''t as good as _h2o or bs.
i feel nagayumi''s sioux and china are top tier
India Nymphomaniac
Dragoon

Post by Nymphomaniac »

zoom wrote:They are like the gentle Aceru Gamerus of the Far East...
That would be an understatement I think. Acer''s non-standard builds are fixed builds like they are always the same non standard be it China (tower to age 2) or Japan (4vill 4vill cherry blossom).
On the other hand, I m pretty sure even Boneng doesn''t know what build he''s going to use just before using it lol. Same can be said about Nagayumi to little less extent.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

diarouga wrote:They aren''t very good mecanicaly but have a very good game understanding. But still they aren''t as good as _h2o or bs.
Hmm I thought Boneng was quite close to both of them.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

Boneng couldn't suck Kiljardi's saggy teet' let alone H2O's...
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Japanese players have their own meta. They might use "suboptimal" builds yet realize that a lot of Japanese players using those builds have still hit a very high rank.

To say that they lag is a bit harsh' Japanese players don't lag among themselves, AoE3 is P2P! So it's the distance which lags. We don't speak Japanese either.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

subzero wrote:
diarouga wrote:They arent very good mecanicaly but have a very good game understanding. But still they arent as good as _h2o or bs.
Hmm I thought Boneng was quite close to both of them.
not at all
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

If Nayuki is Japanese, I won't say anything more. This guy is crazy.
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

yemshi wrote:If Nayuki is Japanese, I won''t say anything more. This guy is crazy.

nayuki is kishiou. ofc japanese.
seems they never complain about civ balance. i saw many dutch/china vs iro/otto in jcg recs, which is unbelievable. samwise will never play these matchups lol. (and china beats otto quite a few times)
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Isnt it kinda weird to say something about an entire race of players? We have sup players that are mechanically strong and very fast (h2o for example), and you have sup players that arent as quick (umeu for example really doesnt play that fast). Same for the japanese players probably.

Their meta is a bit different though. A few years ago every japanese player was playing japan and doing that lame FI strat. Theyre not as numerous nowadays that I completely know their meta tbh, but I bet its still rather similair to ours.
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Post by Einfein »

Imo the top Japanese players are basically the same skill-wise as the rest of the world's better players, but they do tend to have a different play style. That said, it seems to amount to about the same thing, nothing OP or crazy, just different.
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

blasdg wrote:Their strongest feature is the lag that occurs when u play vs them.

thats true for some, not true for others. boneng hardly lags, its better to play vs him than aizamk or tit. same for nagayumi, snsjack etc. there is some lag with most ofc, but thats often due to distance, japan has good internet in urban areas.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

yurashic wrote:They play only 1 civ, have dozens of weird decks without crates and upgrades, spam thousands of qs games, use suboptimal strats, lag and don''t speak English. That''s how good they are.

rofl, takuman, shmras, naga, boneng, snsjack, nobuman, roadofhope just to name a few would totally destroy you. and most of them could do it with every civ available.

its also funny that you say ppl play only 1 civ since you basically only play china.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

umeu wrote:
yurashic wrote:They play only 1 civ, have dozens of weird decks without crates and upgrades, spam thousands of qs games, use suboptimal strats, lag and dont speak English. Thats how good they are.

rofl, takuman, shmras, naga, boneng, snsjack, nobuman, roadofhope just to name a few would totally destroy you. and most of them could do it with every civ available.

its also funny that you say ppl play only 1 civ since you basically only play china.
Nobuman is corean noob.
No Flag kazama
Musketeer

Post by kazama »

cerebralassasin wrote:
zoom wrote:They are like the gentle Aceru Gamerus of the Far East...
That would be an understatement I think. Acers non-standard builds are fixed builds like they are always the same non standard be it China (tower to age 2) or Japan (4vill 4vill cherry blossom).
On the other hand, I m pretty sure even Boneng doesnt know what build hes going to use just before using it lol. Same can be said about Nagayumi to little less extent.

+1