Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by noissance »

Any good?
Error 404: Signature not found
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by thebritish »

they are pretty good, but they need home city cards and be in bigger numbers to be effective. (they take too much pop, but few units dont do anything.
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by momuuu »

As shipments and mams as asian civs. I guess jaegers are good aswell.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by thebritish »

jerom wrote:As shipments and mams as asian civs. I guess jaegers are good aswell.
they are actually OP :P

[spoiler]{Spoiler}
jaegers[/spoiler]
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by DivineFire »

Mercs and merc cards often make the difference in many games. Especially to civs like Germans, Ottomans and ports, Home city units are a different beast entirely and are usually very strong for their respective civs. Outlaws are generally useless.
Taunt 3
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by thebritish »

divinefire wrote:Mercs and merc cards often make the difference in many games. Especially to civs like Germans, Ottomans and ports, Home city units are a different beast entirely and are usually very strong for their respective civs. Outlaws are generally useless.
from where you will get skirmisher with 44 damage and 1.5 damage vs LC and 18 range?
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by DivineFire »

thebritish wrote:
divinefire wrote:Mercs and merc cards often make the difference in many games. Especially to civs like Germans, Ottomans and ports, Home city units are a different beast entirely and are usually very strong for their respective civs. Outlaws are generally useless.
from where you will get skirmisher with 44 damage and 1.5 damage vs LC and 18 range?
Id rather just have 3-4 skirmishers or like 6 crossbowman for the same price tyvm. Outlaws are generally useless, sometimes germans can pull them off on deccan for instance in a team game...
Taunt 3
Germany PhalluS
Musketeer
ESO: PhalluS, rusH (DE)

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by PhalluS »

manchus are also very good mercs. they could be a life insurance for russians').
Canada DivineFire
Lancer

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by DivineFire »

Or china, team 5 manchu can be a game breaker
Taunt 3
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Papist »

It depends what shipment and civ you are using. The good/possibly good shipments are 5 mams (the op one), 13 jaegar, 9 black riders, and 9 manchu. Some, like hackapells and swiss pikes are highly situational, and others, like landskenths, are terrible. Never train mercs tho (unless you are age 3 China)

Outlaws can be good as Germany, since pistoleros are a solid substitute for musketeers. They are used as part of an irregular semi FF, or as a troll strat in colonial. On Asian maps, thugees are OP.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag Einfein
Dragoon

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Einfein »

papist wrote:Some, like hackapells and swiss pikes are highly situational
I''ve used hackapells extensively in the past (not just as Germany) and I''ve had great results with them. I agree they are situational, but the damage they put out is absolutely nuts. And if you''re able to do some raiding with them, they can pay for themselves in seconds.

Saloon outlaws imo are just not viable. High cost, high pop, can only be trained from one building and train slowly. With a few tweaks they could be viable, but as they currently stand I just don''t see a situation where I would immediately say to myself, "I need to train outlaws immediately."
"He's just got more stuff, and sometimes just having more stuff, despite the fact you have better positioning or better micro just doesn't matter because sometimes when you just got more stuff you just win the game." - ZutaZuta
France Rikikipu
Retired Contributor
ESO: p-of

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Rikikipu »

Think about ronins poping out from your tc while your opponent is sieging it.
GG no re.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by DerMaxinator »

What do you think about German ff and then just spamming the better mercs shipment + age 3 better coin gathering (forgot the name) and then just spam merc all the game?
I've used it a couple of times already, and sometimes, when my opponent didnt scout you can catch him off guard and win the game.
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Mercs shipments are good.
From the saloon, the only good mercs are mam and elmetis.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Papist »

rikikipu wrote:Think about ronins poping out from your tc while your opponent is sieging it.
GG no re.

If ronin are popping from your tc, it means you are Ports, which is a death sentence in and of itself.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Wuangaga »

dermaxinator wrote:What do you think about German ff and then just spamming the better mercs shipment + age 3 better coin gathering (forgot the name) and then just spam merc all the game?
I''ve used it a couple of times already, and sometimes, when my opponent didnt scout you can catch him off guard and win the game.
I tried that for like 4-5 games and it''s not that great because first of all you have to be lucky to get mercs which fit your composition jaegers/black riders seem like the only ones to pay off for this and you need good mines and bad awareness of your opponent. It''s like the normal semi-ff but worse because it''s luck dependent and you waste one card for non-military.
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by _RDX_ »

Definitely it is a waste of 200 w to build saloons and waste the time. Probably it is good as shipments. Cozz they are cheap really than saloons. And saloons/monastery trains slower than barracks and stable. Instead you can get 5+ mercenary(not mames they are only in 5 in age 3 shipments) in good time instead of queuing 5 mercenary in your saloon. And for example, if one jaeger costs 180 g, so 180*10 = 1800. there is a 10 jaeger shipment in your deck which costs just 1000 g. So even if you send 10 jaegers as shipment instead of you train in saloons/monastery. You save 800 g. Precious. So it is wise, sending shipments than building saloons/monastery. Maybe Saloon should be a perfect building for dutch. Whatever saloon costs is what they produce faster.
oranges.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Jaeger »

Mercs in the saloon are as cost efficient as merc shipments. So if you like sending a specific merc from the HC, don't be afraid to train them from the saloon. The saloon can be very good when you don't have food or even if you accidentally overgathered gold. Jaegars have more ranged hp/cost than skirms, but skirms have more attack/cost so I think skirms are better. In a skirm war they are probably very even.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Jaeger »

dermaxinator wrote:What do you think about German ff and then just spamming the better mercs shipment + age 3 better coin gathering (forgot the name) and then just spam merc all the game?
I''ve used it a couple of times already, and sometimes, when my opponent didnt scout you can catch him off guard and win the game.
It''s not good but if you want to merc ff I think the best one would be straight ff with 700g 700w, age with 6 skirms and ship 9 BR as soon as you age up. Get a rax from 700w too and make some more skirms, and later a stable for vet uhlan.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by DerMaxinator »

wuangaga wrote:
Ive used it a couple of times already, and sometimes, when my opponent didnt scout you can catch him off guard and win the game.
I tried that for like 4-5 games and its not that great because first of all you have to be lucky to get mercs which fit your composition jaegers/black riders seem like the only ones to pay off for this and you need good mines and bad awareness of your opponent. Its like the normal semi-ff but worse because its luck dependent and you waste one card for non-military.
Sounds good. Still gonna do it for the fun :raspberry:
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by yurashic »

Mercenaries from saloons are good, shipments are not very good because you have to stack res to send them -> have less army for a while. Outlaws are not good but when you a lot of free pop they are fine.
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by thebritish »

rdx wrote:Definitely it is a waste of 200 w to build saloons and waste the time. Probably it is good as shipments. Cozz they are cheap really than saloons. And saloons/monastery trains slower than barracks and stable. Instead you can get 5+ mercenary(not mames they are only in 5 in age 3 shipments) in good time instead of queuing 5 mercenary in your saloon. And for example, if one jaeger costs 180 g, so 180*10 = 1800. there is a 10 jaeger shipment in your deck which costs just 1000 g. So even if you send 10 jaegers as shipment instead of you train in saloons/monastery. You save 800 g. Precious. So it is wise, sending shipments than building saloons/monastery. Maybe Saloon should be a perfect building for dutch. Whatever saloon costs is what they produce faster.

You are forgetting that those 10 jaegers can be gotten only once. thats why they are chea compared to those in the saloon
India _RDX_
Lancer
ESO: _RDX_

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by _RDX_ »

thebritish wrote:
rdx wrote:Definitely it is a waste of 200 w to build saloons and waste the time. Probably it is good as shipments. Cozz they are cheap really than saloons. And saloons/monastery trains slower than barracks and stable. Instead you can get 5+ mercenary(not mames they are only in 5 in age 3 shipments) in good time instead of queuing 5 mercenary in your saloon. And for example, if one jaeger costs 180 g, so 180*10 = 1800. there is a 10 jaeger shipment in your deck which costs just 1000 g. So even if you send 10 jaegers as shipment instead of you train in saloons/monastery. You save 800 g. Precious. So it is wise, sending shipments than building saloons/monastery. Maybe Saloon should be a perfect building for dutch. Whatever saloon costs is what they produce faster.
You are forgetting that those 10 jaegers can be gotten only once. thats why they are chea compared to those in the saloon
So, you gonna put 100s of jaegers in your army?
oranges.
United States of America Metis
Howdah

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by Metis »

In treaty I oftentimes use Mercs from the saloon if the right ones are available. Mercs can complement a civ's standard units and also surprise an opponent. For instance, the Port hussar isn't the best but if the Saloon has Elmeti then that mass of unguarded archers better watch out.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Mercenaries and outlaws

Post by gibson »

a fortress age shipment is worth 1000 resources so if you don''t factor in the cost of the saloon is actually more efficient to train then to ship.