7%
Everything is fine the way it is.
76%

Total votes: 29

No Flag chiefmaster
Crossbow

Spies

Post by chiefmaster »

I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on "Spies".

Personally i hate it and i feel as if it ruins the fun aspect of the game, where is the joy you get from sneak attacking from a location they wouldn't suspect if they can see you coming? It's a game breaker for me since you can't really beat someone unless you're apart in skill enough that someone out micros you or one person fails to counter properly, always knowing what the enemy is doing for the rest of the game is pretty stupid imo.

If it was cheaper and lasted a certain amount of time say 10,000 Coin for 20min then it might be decent but as of late i instantly feel like leaving the game when someone gets spies or even trying to end a game before they can get it because the whole element of surprise is just completely gone.

Obviously it could get silly if no one were to use spies such as a player refusing to quit with 1 unit left running/hiding around the map but still, it's just ridiculous.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Spies

Post by Jaeger »

Youre talking about treaty right? The higher up you go in treaty, the less people buy spies because it's kind of a waste of money. After about PR20 I don't think anybody uses spies.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Spies

Post by lesllamas »

Spies is to the Imperial age what the Imperial age is to the rest of the game--it's a hard win condition. If you can get spies in a non-treaty game, it's either because your eco is so ridiculously ahead that you need something to spend it on in order to leverage your huge advantage into a win, or because some asshole is hiding a bunch of stealthed units around the map after his team resigned and you're looking for a foolproof way to end the game (trade monopoly also performs this function, but it's a slower option if you're already in the Imperial age).
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Spies

Post by noissance »

Needs a ranged attack, real spys have a handy dandy pistol with them (not unrealistic with the pistoleros in the game, make them do like 20 dmg or something)
Error 404: Signature not found
United States of America jacksonpollock
Dragoon

Spies

Post by jacksonpollock »

You should absolutely buy spies in a treaty game, gives you a huge advantage.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon
ESO: DerMax

Spies

Post by DerMaxinator »

jacksonpollock wrote:You should absolutely buy spies in a treaty game, gives you a huge advantage.
You wont have the follow up eco to be competitive when you do, because there are so many walls, you could just rely on the line of sight...
Ain't no skills in makin' vills
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon

Spies

Post by DerMaxinator »

I never really use it in treaty although im only pr 15ish there (I play not a lot of treaty) but there I dont see a lot of people buy spies. Maybe its because its too expensive, but I just never really use it and build a lot of walls to rely on the los of my wally and other buildings.
United States of America jacksonpollock
Dragoon

Spies

Post by jacksonpollock »

dermaxinator wrote:
jacksonpollock wrote:You should absolutely buy spies in a treaty game, gives you a huge advantage.
You wont have the follow up eco to be competitive when you do, because there are so many walls, you could just rely on the line of sight...

If you balance your eco for spies youll be fine
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Spies

Post by forgrin »

Spies is decent, but why would you need it? It's not like treaty bases are all so different in their layout you need a map. If you really want to know what someone's layout is gonna look like, then just watch a replay of them playing. If someone does a tech switch in Treaty, you'll see their units about 20 seconds after they make them and can make your own to counter quite quickly as opposed to in Sup. It's not that it isn't good in theory, just in practice isn't necessary at all.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Spies

Post by yurashic »

If your enemy is able to get spies you have already lost anyway.

In treaty getting spies means you drain quickly and lose the eco war.

If Spies are remowed there will be no way to beat idiots who hide their units in corners.
Germany DerMaxinator
Dragoon

Spies

Post by DerMaxinator »

yurashic wrote:If your enemy is able to get spies you have already lost anyway.

In treaty getting spies means you drain quickly and lose the eco war.

If Spies are remowed there will be no way to beat idiots who hide their units in corners.
If he get''s spies he just spent a huge amount of resources, so you could basically maybe overpower him just because you can sustain military production longer now that he spend maybe 10k on spies.
No Flag Wuangaga
Lancer

Spies

Post by Wuangaga »

jacksonpollock wrote:
dermaxinator wrote:You wont have the follow up eco to be competitive when you do, because there are so many walls, you could just rely on the line of sight...

Walking Ear spotted, thats definitly you!
No Flag mamapapaisop
Skirmisher

Spies

Post by mamapapaisop »

jacksonpollock wrote:
dermaxinator wrote:You wont have the follow up eco to be competitive when you do, because there are so many walls, you could just rely on the line of sight...

Sorry but no, Spies are surely not worth their cost in treaty, dxcept they are extremly cheap like 3-9k... if it costs more you will run out of resources pretty early, while your opponent got more coin and can spam units until you are out of coin and than you can t keep your military Population up --> you lost...
But if you already won, theres no problem with buying it.. i like spies tho :)
No Flag v1pus
Skirmisher

Spies

Post by v1pus »

I've won many games in treaty due to having spies. You can see weak points, see if there's a sneaky fb on the flanks. See villagers trying to wall.

If you age imp fast and it only costs like 10-14k..not that much
No Flag hitlerdidnothinwrong
Crossbow

Spies

Post by hitlerdidnothinwrong »

v1pus wrote:I''ve won many games in treaty due to having spies. You can see weak points, see if there''s a sneaky fb on the flanks. See villagers trying to wall.

If you age imp fast and it only costs like 10-14k..not that much
Not only that, but you can see unit compositions incoming and fight more efficiently with that knowledge.