AoE3 Tier List (UPDATED APRIL 3)

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Ye they're meant to be unique. But they don't add more layers to the countersystem really. Jags = halbs with a bonus vs HI.
Image Image Image
No Flag Good ol Ivan
Howdah
ESO: ivanelterrible

Post by Good ol Ivan »

124 votes now, update the list pls.
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Post by anonymous123 »

edeholland wrote:Jags are unique, yeah, but the other units are just the infantry versions of normal units, because Aztecs don''t have bombards or siege weapons like in AoE2.

The confusing part for me is that skirm = light inf, coy = light inf and tiger claws = light inf AND heavy inf, afaik.
No, No, No, Just No, Skirms are NOT light infantry. They are classified as Gunpowder unit, Infantry and ranged infantry ONLY. Anything that walks is classified as Infantry. Which attack from range get Ranged infantry tag. One with Gunpowder get gunpowder unit tag. Heavy infantry tag is for those units which are good against cavalry, they DO NOT have to be ranged infantry. Archers get archer tag. When jaguar knight says it has multiplier against light infantry it does not mean it gets bonus against skirmisher. Light infantry tag is given to a very swift infantry unit usually as fast like cavalry unit. Tiger claws DO NOT get heavy infantry tag, it''s hand infantry tag. I am pretty surprised the game is 10 years old and people still don''t understand tags, or how multiplier system works, sorry if you find it offensive.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Brits 5th?
Gooby plz
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

anonymous123 wrote:
edeholland wrote:Jags are unique, yeah, but the other units are just the infantry versions of normal units, because Aztecs dont have bombards or siege weapons like in AoE2.

The confusing part for me is that skirm = light inf, coy = light inf and tiger claws = light inf AND heavy inf, afaik.
No, No, No, Just No, Skirms are NOT light infantry. They are classified as Gunpowder unit, Infantry and ranged infantry ONLY. Anything that walks is classified as Infantry. Which attack from range get Ranged infantry tag. One with Gunpowder get gunpowder unit tag. Heavy infantry tag is for those units which are good against cavalry, they DO NOT have to be ranged infantry. Archers get archer tag. When jaguar knight says it has multiplier against light infantry it does not mean it gets bonus against skirmisher. Light infantry tag is given to a very swift infantry unit usually as fast like cavalry unit. Tiger claws DO NOT get heavy infantry tag, its hand infantry tag. I am pretty surprised the game is 10 years old and people still dont understand tags, or how multiplier system works, sorry if you find it offensive.
No, thats why its tricky. Lancers and falcs have a multiplier against infantry, so if coyote runners and erk were tagged as infantry (cause they walk obviously) they would die to those. Would be pretty absurd for the equivalents of melee cav and goon to die to lancers and falcs... Thats why they are not tagged as infantry, just as light infantry

Btw ranged infantry usually means skirm/bow units, lets say "anti-infantry infantry". Of course musks do have a range, but they arent the same as skirms.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Suggestion: remove aztec to restore the tag balance.
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Post by anonymous123 »

kaiserklein wrote:
anonymous123 wrote:No, No, No, Just No, Skirms are NOT light infantry. They are classified as Gunpowder unit, Infantry and ranged infantry ONLY. Anything that walks is classified as Infantry. Which attack from range get Ranged infantry tag. One with Gunpowder get gunpowder unit tag. Heavy infantry tag is for those units which are good against cavalry, they DO NOT have to be ranged infantry. Archers get archer tag. When jaguar knight says it has multiplier against light infantry it does not mean it gets bonus against skirmisher. Light infantry tag is given to a very swift infantry unit usually as fast like cavalry unit. Tiger claws DO NOT get heavy infantry tag, its hand infantry tag. I am pretty surprised the game is 10 years old and people still dont understand tags, or how multiplier system works, sorry if you find it offensive.
No, thats why its tricky. Lancers and falcs have a multiplier against infantry, so if coyote runners and erk were tagged as infantry (cause they walk obviously) they would die to those. Would be pretty absurd for the equivalents of melee cav and goon to die to lancers and falcs... Thats why they are not tagged as infantry, just as light infantry

Btw ranged infantry usually means skirm/bow units, lets say "anti-infantry infantry". Of course musks do have a range, but they arent the same as skirms.[span style="font-size:12pt'"] [/span]
They do, But erk get 3x multiplier against cav thats why they do better than skirms. Ranged infantry is any infantry that fires from range. that includes all skirm/muskarchers/mace etc. Musk get heavy infantry tag because they get multplier. against cav. Lancer gets 3x/4x with card bonus against any unit that gets "infantry" tag doesnt matter if its musk/skirm. They are infantry equivalent to cav/goons, They are NOT cav/goons, Also the reason Lancer dont get bonus against ERK is because ERK dont get "infantry tag" It just has light infantry and ranged infantry tag.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Why do people always claim Japan is in the top tier? An archaic rush or semi FF can shut them down before they even have a chance too boom hard
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

papist wrote:Why do people always claim Japan is in the top tier? An archaic rush or semi FF can shut them down before they even have a chance too boom hard

because walls can often save them the game. Japan is more broken because it can perform really well even though the player is shitty imo. Just try out japan FI (theres a write up by bart on it on ageheaven).
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

anonymous123 wrote:
kaiserklein wrote:No, thats why its tricky. Lancers and falcs have a multiplier against infantry, so if coyote runners and erk were tagged as infantry (cause they walk obviously) they would die to those. Would be pretty absurd for the equivalents of melee cav and goon to die to lancers and falcs... Thats why they are not tagged as infantry, just as light infantry

Btw ranged infantry usually means skirm/bow units, lets say "anti-infantry infantry". Of course musks do have a range, but they arent the same as skirms.[span style="font-size:12pt'"] [/span]
They do, But erk get 3x multiplier against cav thats why they do better than skirms. Ranged infantry is any infantry that fires from range. that includes all skirm/muskarchers/mace etc. Musk get heavy infantry tag because they get multplier. against cav. Lancer gets 3x/4x with card bonus against any unit that gets "infantry" tag doesnt matter if its musk/skirm. They are infantry equivalent to cav/goons, They are NOT cav/goons, Also the reason Lancer dont get bonus against ERK is because ERK dont get "infantry tag" It just has light infantry and ranged infantry tag.
Why do you even compare erk to skirms ? I dont get your point

Musks shoot at range but they are not the same as skirms archers etc, they are exactly the same as any heavy infantry, except they benefit from the gunpowder upgrades

"the reason Lancer dont get bonus against ERK is because ERK dont get "infantry tag" It just has light infantry and ranged infantry tag." Yeah thats what I just said, but when you said "everything that walks is infantry" it logically included erk and coyots, which is false since erk and coyots dont have the "infantry" tag.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Post by anonymous123 »

Are you dumb? Doesn't light infantry include "infantry". I did say Musk get heavy infantry tag which skirms don't get which results in musk getting bonus vs cav.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

anonymous123 wrote:Are you dumb? Doesn''t light infantry include "infantry". I did say Musk get heavy infantry tag which skirms don''t get which results in musk getting bonus vs cav.
Are you dumb? Seems like you are not reading or comprehending kaiser''s posts.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag anonymous123
Dragoon

Post by anonymous123 »

I did read his posts and yes he is correct logically erk and coy are infantry and I am not comparing erk to skirms. I never said erk or coy were not infantry. They do get light infantry tag which has "infantry included in it" but they don't get a tag of infantry for which lancers get multiplier against ie: why they lancers bonus don't work against erk.
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

h2o wrote:Two standouts for me here are japan and suiox being very over rated. Brits also under rated slightly.

divinefire wrote:Wow I had the same opinion as H2O... Do I win a prize?

i agree on that except about japan. Do i win the rank of 1st lieutenit pls xd .
Maybe japan seems OP toe because i have never played them much and dont understand them so well
No Flag adderbrain5
Lancer

Post by adderbrain5 »

fard wrote:I would say the top tier civs are the lamest civs in AoE. That means the most played and popular civs of Quicksearch ( which are for sure sioux india otto iro japan german).
I Dont know why, but germany got soo strong like in the last year. Why does it not happened earlier or why the players didnt used it before. And like u already mentioned mitoe. Its super hard MAP dependent. So lets say give otto, iro and Germany a tp map. They become alot more stronger. On the otherhand without a tp i would say iro becomes alot weaker because their opness is at the fast age and fast mass of shipments ya? Same for german because german got used to play like 90% ff and send the shipments. Otto i think would be alot slower in their BO, but they still have jans and abus and mams which makes them just insane strong.So i would not go into this so far. We would need a list for
-water maps without tp
-water maps with tp
-land map without tp
-land map with tp
-tourney maps
I think every civ has more advantages/disadvantages on these types of maps.
Average i dont think we find any "fair top tier list"

thats like half the civs in aoe3 so basically your saying that half tge civs are lame gj
Germany fard
Dragoon
ESO: Fard

Post by fard »

Mhh, its India, Sioux, Japan, Iro, Otto
Thats the half?
16-5 = 11 :) Just a lil help for ya
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

jerom wrote:Suggestion: remove aztec to restore the tag balance.

its not aztec fault. we should remove tiger claw, disciple, rattan shield. these 3 units are not countered by dragoon.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

paul wrote:
its not aztec fault. we should remove tiger claw, disciple, rattan shield. these 3 units are not countered by dragoon.
Just because they are not countered by dragoons doesnt mean they have to be removed :p
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

light infantry=cavalry
coyote=melee cavalry
eagle knight=range cavalry

coyote runner: light infantry, coyote
erk: light infantry, eagle knight
rattan sheild, disciple: light infantry
tiger claw: light infantry, infantry

so

heavy infantry do bonus damage to all above.
skirm do bonus to erk.
dragoon do bonus ONLY to coyote runner.
cannon, lancer ONLY do bonus to tiger claw.

that's what stupid ms did.

besides japan is op civ. they can wall or raid or FI to deal with rush or sff. and they didnt rely on the map at all. H2O says japan is overrated, that's because he get wcg with lame japan :)
China fei123456
Jaeger

Post by fei123456 »

edeholland wrote:
paul wrote:its not aztec fault. we should remove tiger claw, disciple, rattan shield. these 3 units are not countered by dragoon.
Just because they are not countered by dragoons doesnt mean they have to be removed :p

but why? a melee cavalry not countered by dragoon? besides india age 2 timing with tiger claw is really scary. i played india mirror and spam skrim goon but just lose to tiger claw sepoy. goon kill camels very fast but they deal 12 damage to a tiger claw one shot only. 10 tiger claw killed mass skirm ignoring my mass goons.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

paul wrote:or FI to deal with rush or sff.
Can you show me this? Lol :P

Anyways, even if the multipliers are not correct, Tiger Claws and Rattan shields still aren''t good, so they should not be removed because they can''t be countered. Diciples are only a few of and they are needed for China, imo they are fine.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

paul wrote:
Out of these three units, only Tiger Claws arent hard-countered by Dragoons.
Norway tibia
Musketeer
ESO: Tibia

Post by tibia »

Rattan shield is also Ligth inf, the only thing that realy beats fully upgraded rattans are lancers....
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

tibia wrote:Rattan shield is also Ligth inf, the only thing that realy beats fully upgraded rattans are lancers....

Is that supposed to be in reply to my post? Oh boy, you''re in for a revelation...

Rattan Shields are light infantry, but that''s completely and utterly irrelevant to my point' they are hard-countered by Dragoons just like Disciples are ?? unlike Tiger Claws.

Oh, by the way: Lancers do no bonus damage to Rattan Shields at all.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player

Post by Kaiserklein »

anonymous123 wrote:Are you dumb? Doesn''t light infantry include "infantry". I did say Musk get heavy infantry tag which skirms don''t get which results in musk getting bonus vs cav.
You still didn''t say why you compare skirms to erk, to me this simply means you don''t understand the game

Sure there is the word "infantry" in "light infantry", you did spot that. Still being light infantry has nothing to do with the "infantry" tag ("normal" infantry if you prefer), since light infantry is the equivalent of cav