Are 14 different civs too many??

Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Are 14 different civs too many??

Post by MCJim »

Lately I've been thinking about this game a bit and I came to an interesting point: Does this game have too many civs for competitive play?
If you think about it, it's ridiculous. Take British; during a tourney you will face an opponent, but you don't know what civ he's gonna play. This means you have to prepare for 14 different match ups! And now I'm only talking about British. Take French, and again you have to prepare yourself for 14 different match ups. How much time do you actually have to spend to know what to do in every match up? Isn't this too hard for people overall?
Do you think the game was better if it didn't have 14 different civs? What civ should be "deleted" in your opinion?
Discuss!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: Are 14 different civs too many??

Post by momuuu »

If you plan properly, you only have to prepare 14 match ups for a tournament match, and if you read your opponents well it can be reduced to 4-5.

The problem with 14 civs is that there are 169 match ups, and thus tons of imbalanced match ups. Its impossible to tweak match ups individually while messing up other match ups. So esoc patch or not, the game is really alwats going to be slightly imbalanced, and will always have quite a few match ups that are literally unplayable if you also want to have a shot at winning.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

No game can ever have perfect balance, so honestly there is nothing wrong with having lots of civs. Personally I would prefer more
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

I think the large amount of civs in this game has both positives and negatives. The positives include much variety, cool units and match ups, and just an overall good feeling of being able to use so many different civs. The main negative is it makes many match ups unfair, and therefore making the game less competitive. Personally, I think the positives outweigh the negatives considering this game has little money available to win, and should mostly be played for fun. For instance, the old fan patch made all the civs very similar, and had pretty good balance (I think), but just got boring to most because each civ had close to the same play-style.
We could make the game more competitive by doing many things, but they would take much fun out of the game. An example would be eliminating treasures (or same treasures every map in same spots), this surely would eliminate much of the luck in the game.
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

farran34 wrote:I think the large amount of civs in this game has both positives and negatives. The positives include much variety, cool units and match ups, and just an overall good feeling of being able to use so many different civs. The main negative is it makes many match ups unfair, and therefore making the game less competitive. Personally, I think the positives outweigh the negatives considering this game has little money available to win, and should mostly be played for fun. For instance, the old fan patch made all the civs very similar, and had pretty good balance (I think), but just got boring to most because each civ had close to the same play-style.
We could make the game more competitive by doing many things, but they would take much fun out of the game. An example would be eliminating treasures (or same treasures every map in same spots), this surely would eliminate much of the luck in the game.

I don't think unbalanced matchups are a problem. If you want to play competitively just restrict yourself to the top 2-4 civs like everyone else does and ignore the rest.
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

14 civs is exactly why this game is so hard to master. On RE patch, its more simple because there are quite some gaps in matchups.

The uniqueness is why this game is so enticing, for me. I like most civs, and like using specific units from time to time
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

MCJim wrote:What civ should be "deleted" in your opinion?

If Iro is deleted, imo not a lot of people will care about it.

I think very less players play Ports too, but I find ports more interesting civ to play than iro so I won't like to see them deleted.
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
United States of America evilcheadar
Gendarme

Post by evilcheadar »

I prefer only a few civs, so it's probably fine if the rest are scratched.
A post not made is a post given away

A slushie a day keeps the refill thread at bay

Jackson Pollock was the best poster to ever to post on these forums
United States of America noissance
Jaeger
Donator 01
ESO: noissance

Post by noissance »

i would like the civ that lets u make laser bears, to combat moesbar's hacks (80 food/40 gold)
Error 404: Signature not found
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

That's why the real pro players play one civ. Look dyddyd or Jui for example. Also on Starcraft you can see like the best pro players used to play one race. Overall, i would not delete any civ, to give the possibility to play all the various civilizations, according to your tastes
No Flag purplesquid
Dragoon
Donator 03

Post by purplesquid »

I like the variety because then different match ups are fair on different maps. I guarantee that for any given match up a map could be made to make that match up 100% fair. Thus to me is one of the things I think is interesting about the game; you are playing against the map as much as your opponent's civ. . .
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Variety and entertainment are far more important than balance.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Just play the game.
Great Britain britishmusketeer
Howdah

Post by britishmusketeer »

When you get to around pr30, you generally have enough understanding of the game to be able to pick up a new civ and have a good idea of what do do in each of its 14 matchups. As for tournament preparation, high level players will have at least a few civs that they have played so many games with, that they will have played every matchup countless times with that civ.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

AOE games are not supposed to be 100% balanced. They're somewhat balanced per expansion (euro, twc, tad) or per civ feature (take fre-brits MU for example).
That said for competitive play (tourney) the logic is usually just to have 1-2 strong strategy for each civ and when that doesn't work you change the civ. If there is no valid alternative then you mirror.
Trying to beat every civ with a single one is very desireable but not really possible.
Image Image Image
Spain yoqpasa
Lancer
ESO: yoqpasa

Post by yoqpasa »

yurashic wrote:Just play the game.

Lol

Play the game and STFU you crybaby!

France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Marco1698 wrote:That's why the real pro players play one civ. Look dyddyd or Jui for example. Also on Starcraft you can see like the best pro players used to play one race. Overall, i would not delete any civ, to give the possibility to play all the various civilizations, according to your tastes

Top players don't play 1 civ at all. dyddyd isn't a "pro" btw
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..

Post by Marco1698 »

Kaiserklein wrote:
Marco1698 wrote:That's why the real pro players play one civ. Look dyddyd or Jui for example. Also on Starcraft you can see like the best pro players used to play one race. Overall, i would not delete any civ, to give the possibility to play all the various civilizations, according to your tastes

pr 38 is pro in my book
Germany lordraphael
Pro Player
EWTNWC LAN SilverAdvanced Division WinnerDonator 01

Post by lordraphael »

wrong just utterly wrong. Most good players can play a good number of civs. Besides you cannot compare aoe and sc2 races in sc2 are completly different with different macro and micro mechanics. Add this on top of the brutaly competitive level and it becomes clear why no players play all 3 races in tournaments. However this doesnt mean that they cannot play those other races . Players like taeja were famous for playing rdm at a very high level although he only played terran in tournaments.
breeze wrote: they cant even guess how much f***ing piece of stupid retarded they look they are trying to give lesson to people who are over pr35 and know the best mu. im pretty sure that we need a page that only pr30+ post and then we could have a nice discussins.

Post by Marco1698 »

Kaiserklein wrote:

of course I mean expert/top player, not who plays as job

Post by Marco1698 »

lordraphael wrote:

wrong just utterly wrong. Most good players can play a good number of civs. Besides you cannot compare aoe and sc2 races in sc2 are completly different with different macro and micro mechanics. Add this on top of the brutaly competitive level and it becomes clear why no players play all 3 races in tournaments. However this doesnt mean that they cannot play those other races . Players like taeja were famous for playing rdm at a very high level although he only played terran in tournaments.
I didn't write they can play one civ,I said they decide to choose one civ and play it
No Flag thebritish
Jaeger

Post by thebritish »

IMO, we need more civilisations because from all of these 14 civs, only 5-6 are very good while others are good(3-4) and the rest just suck (4-5)
krichk wrote: For some reason, you want the world to know that you're brave enough to challenge thebritish
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

He only plays one civ which means he'll get rekt in tournaments.
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

about dyddyd91, him with little training he can get high level with any civ..
and kaiserklein nob :)
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »