Taking a Break.

Canada King_Ownage2nd
Advanced Player

Taking a Break.

Post by King_Ownage2nd »

First off I want to say that this is an amazingly addictive game, and the community is led by great people. Although I was never active in the community (although I did stream a lot), I played this game excessively (literally hours on end), so I thought I should briefly say why I'm quitting.

Unfortunately I've noticed that the amount of time I spend playing aoe and occasionally other video games is taking a toll on my college grades. Most weekends I'll spend 6 hours a day playing aoe when I should be studying etc. I've let this slide the last three years but I don't have a choice now. Certain Biochemistry co-op jobs require really high GPA's, so I don't really have a choice at this point. Unfortunately the other possibility of dramatically reducing my playtime and playing in moderation is not an option for me, as I will just be pulled back in again due to the addictive nature of the game. Aoe really is like a drug.
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Re: Taking a Break.

Post by SoldieR »

I get that, but after the tourney!
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Post by _H2O »

I understand, good luck in life. Do at least finish out the tournament. This one is super stacked and people would love to see you bash Mitoe
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

If you are suffering from bad grades I would say don't finish out the tournament, just quit cold turkey. That's the healthiest thing to do.
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
United States of America gustavusadolphus
Lancer

Post by gustavusadolphus »

College is way more important you can always come back when you think you are ready. :)
10000 gallon fiberglass, FNS plus DE filter 48 square foot, ray pack Mini Max 512 BTU gas heater, one Sip n Oodle, NO ZEOSAND
Canada Mitoe
Advanced Theory Craftsman
ESO: Mitoe
GameRanger ID: 346407

Post by Mitoe »

Sorry to see you leave, but completely understand. I hope things work out for you in college. If you're willing to finish the tournament and play our match that'd be cool, but if not I understand. I'll continue carrying the Canadian banner for AoE3 in your stead ;)
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Post by medinos »

I never had problem with my uni...
And I smoke some kush and get wasted 2-3 times in a week and mostly never study...
Law school btw...
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

medinos wrote:I never had problem with my uni...
And I smoke some kush and get wasted 2-3 times in a week and mostly never study...
Law school btw...

How can you go through law school without studying?
Bosnia & Herzegovina medinos
Lancer
ESO: AlexBoye,Daddysmurf

Post by medinos »

Its a long story...
I never learned since middle high and all schools xD.. I swear..
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

fightinfrenchman wrote:If you are suffering from bad grades I would say don't finish out the tournament, just quit cold turkey. That's the healthiest thing to do.

Yeah I agree
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

ovi12 wrote:
fightinfrenchman wrote:If you are suffering from bad grades I would say don't finish out the tournament, just quit cold turkey. That's the healthiest thing to do.

Yeah I agree

People saying to finish the tourney are dangerously enabling addiction.
No Flag farran34
Dragoon
Donator 01

Post by farran34 »

King_Ownage2nd wrote:First off I want to say that this is an amazingly addictive game, and the community is led by great people. Although I was never active in the community (although I did stream a lot), I played this game excessively (literally hours on end), so I thought I should briefly say why I'm quitting.

Unfortunately I've noticed that the amount of time I spend playing aoe and occasionally other video games is taking a toll on my college grades. Most weekends I'll spend 6 hours a day playing aoe when I should be studying etc. I've let this slide the last three years but I don't have a choice now. Certain Biochemistry co-op jobs require really high GPA's, so I don't really have a choice at this point. Unfortunately the other possibility of dramatically reducing my playtime and playing in moderation is not an option for me, as I will just be pulled back in again due to the addictive nature of the game. Aoe really is like a drug.

I feel you here, some weekends I just cant stop playing this game when I know I should be studying. I enjoyed watching some of your streams, and you contributed a lot to the community through them. Best of luck with your grades!
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

Post by Method_man714 »

It's simple, it seems college is getting in the way of aoe and you should quit it before it takes up more of your precious aoe time.
hazzarov: can u fk off callen
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Priorities guys. @OP, don't mess up your life for the sake of one tournament. Your future is far more important than a video game (no matter how good it is).
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Papist wrote:Priorities guys. @OP, don't mess up your life for the sake of one tournament. Your future is far more important than a video game (no matter how good it is).

I'm glad someone else has some common sense.
No Flag aaaron3000
Crossbow

Post by aaaron3000 »

Good for you. College is the worst time to be addicted to video games. You should work hard while you're there and if you have free time try to be social. Play video games when you're a kid and you have no responsibilities, and then when you graduate and have a job you can stay up all night and play video games as much as you want. :)
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

It's been a lot of fun playing with you. Obviously real life comes first and I completely understand when you say it's literally impossible to play this game in moderation, it's the same for me as well. Hopefully you can come back some time when you're not so busy. I still remember the 3v3 nr40 where we had to carry krudtugle while playing as Aztec/India yet still won, or the 3v3 55 against bager/ajiv/huntersteel where bager took an op civ and stuck us with phish and they stil couldn't beat us.
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Knowing how to balance work and leisure is something pretty difficult.

Personally what I do is refuse absolutely and completely to work after a certain time of the day. Any and all work which I need to do needs to be done before that time, during the day. Though my workload these days is a bit lighter than what it used to be.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote: ↑
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Greece TomGR
Musketeer

Post by TomGR »

It was always a pleasure to play with you. It was fun not only because you would sometimes play unconventional civs like aztecs, but also because you always tried your best in order to win. Much as I hate to see you go, quitting the game and focusing on your studies is the best you can do. Good luck and I hope to see you again.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Mitoe wrote:Sorry to see you leave, but completely understand. I hope things work out for you in college. If you're willing to finish the tournament and play our match that'd be cool, but if not I understand. I'll continue carrying the Canadian banner for AoE3 in your stead ;)

ahah dat mitoe, he is so happy atm :D
Germany Lukas_L99
Pro Player
Donator 01
ESO: Lukas_L99

Post by Lukas_L99 »

See you, but I know you'll come back ;)
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Looking forward to see you come back!
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

medinos wrote:Its a long story...
I never learned since middle high and all schools xD.. I swear..

seems like you bs a lot, or your law school is terrible.
good luck to OP, you better have that 4.0 until graduation if each hour of aoe goes into studying!
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
No Flag kushkush
Musketeer

Post by kushkush »

I'm in the same boat. My architecture schooling is getting increasingly intense and the time I waste on aoe should be devoted to that. I'm so bad with it that I should really uninstall aoe to get serious results.
I was just able to binge play all winter cuz break but come January 25th real life will hit me like a brick
No Flag manwithoutname
Skirmisher

Post by manwithoutname »

medinos wrote:I never had problem with my uni...
Law school btw...

Lol, you have to ask yourself some serious questions about your life if you're trying to impress people you don't know about your 'cool' lifestyle in university on an online game forum...