ELO Ladders, a new project?

Belgium stanleywinston
Dragoon
Beginner Division WinnerDonator 01
ESO: Stanley_Winston

ELO Ladders, a new project?

Post by stanleywinston »

As the ELO servers are down and probably aren't going to be updated, wouldn't it be a good idea to make new ELO ladders? This would mean that all the ELO stats would be reset. In this way, players have a new motivation to play. You also don't have to worry about cheaters, you would have the possibility to ban them more easily from the ladders (since you own them). Just a quick mindset that I wanted to share with you guys. I don't know if it would be possible at all and if there are even people who can make this happen and are willing to do this. I have no idea how hard it is to code something like that and if you need admin rights from the ESO Moderators. I can't code so it would be a project for some coders who have some spare time.
United States of America _H2O
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06
ESO: _H2O

Re: ELO Ladders, a new project?

Post by _H2O »

Would need to pay to host it. It's an idea we were discussing 6 months ago. Not sure what the current team is thinking about it :D.

You need to talk to JP guys figure out what costs are and how they do it.

Then do all the development and host it all on the cloud we have for the site / patch.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Interesting idea surely, I'd be surprised though if elo wouldn't start working at some point. There's also the logistics side of the problem. We're not really high on manpower so to say, and it might increase the site traffic to a point where that's going to have a serious effect. Idk, I think it's something to consider for sure if jp elo isnt going to be back up ever. It has to be possible to make something like elo however, not really sure if it is right now.
Russia yurashic
Howdah
ESO: Yurashic

Post by yurashic »

Elo is very inaccurate. Most rated games are in quicksearch, there it is very easy to get countercived, mapscrewed or face a much stronger player, and because of that lose 5 times more points than you gain for 1 won game.

I used to have 2360 elo when I was pr 28 just because I did not lose games. At around pr 33 I went down to 2250 while I was playing much better.

Pr system is more suitable for this game because you are punished less for all those randomly lost games.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

great idea
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

Can't make a new Elo if you can't read the data from ESO servers, which is the problem at the moment.
Image Image Image
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

yurashic wrote:Elo is very inaccurate. Most rated games are in quicksearch, there it is very easy to get countercived, mapscrewed or face a much stronger player, and because of that lose 5 times more points than you gain for 1 won game.

I used to have 2360 elo when I was pr 28 just because I did not lose games. At around pr 33 I went down to 2250 while I was playing much better.

Pr system is more suitable for this game because you are punished less for all those randomly lost games.

Also some civs are obviously favoured against other. I think Pr takes that in account, whereas ELO doesn't so you can lose more games like that.
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

yurashic wrote:Elo is very inaccurate. Most rated games are in quicksearch, there it is very easy to get countercived, mapscrewed or face a much stronger player, and because of that lose 5 times more points than you gain for 1 won game.

I actually tend to agree. I see pr being mostly accurate. Just sucks you have the decay shit.
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

ELO is more accurate but you have to be willing to play rated games you will lose :P
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

_H2O wrote:

ELO is more accurate but you have to be willing to play rated games you will lose :P

ELO has to do with official game stats, then unrated are mostly for practice, so np in unr vs. rated

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
ESOC Business Team
Donator 06

Post by _H2O »

BrookG wrote:

Also some civs are obviously favoured against other. I think Pr takes that in account, whereas ELO doesn't so you can lose more games like that.

This plus decay makes it inaccurate. How hard you are to beat is what rating should measure, not how hard you 'should' be to beat. Plus the civ adjustments are complete BS since they take games from low rated players.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

_H2O wrote:
BrookG wrote:

This plus decay makes it inaccurate. How hard you are to beat is what rating should measure, not how hard you 'should' be to beat. Plus the civ adjustments are complete BS since they take games from low rated players.

But other than that it does seem to be a pretty decent rating system somehow. It feels more responsive or sth, idk why
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

ELO rating system is quite close to the real levels, but the formula used is quite simplified (you can find it on front page of jp community). That's why some people become unsatisfied with that.

No Flag Sarcomere
Crossbow

Post by Sarcomere »

Daooof has volunteered to do this.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Sarcomere wrote:Daooof has volunteered to do this.

yeah hes desperate to get his elo back
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

I found this link, about some "variations/ suggestions" on ELO http://math.bu.edu/people/mg/ratings/approx/approx.html

Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

elo reset is rly good :)
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

Why can't we just ask the Japanese community to fix this?
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Germany PhalluS
Musketeer
ESO: PhalluS, rusH (DE)

Post by PhalluS »

its maybe better to wait some weeks, until the server/stats works without problems.
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

piroshiki might do something if somebody spams him on twitter
https://twitter.com/piroshikiff
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
India _DB_
Howdah

Post by _DB_ »

Yea, matsujun can help

We need evilcheader, thebritish and H2O to go deep into servers and find out what is IP.

EDIT: Oh wait, weren't the three codes IP addresses which microsoft gave us during betatesting?
Doing what you like is Freedom...
Liking what you do is Happiness...