Re: ruyters are lame

Post by Garja »

zoom wrote:
[Armag] diarouga wrote:Well, «whales don't matter in water games»
«Russia is tier 1»
«rams are good»
«I would send schooners on GL»
Just stop lol

"Whales aren't a factor in half the games that are played on maps featuring them."
"Russians are a tier one civilization (out of two or three tiers in total) on non-TP maps."
"Rams are good at sieging."
"I would sometimes send Schooners on GL."

I think that is a more fair paraphrasing of what Garja said. What's more, to my understanding King-Ragu himself was banned for yet another infraction of site rules after multiple warnings in a short period of time. I very much doubt it's permanent as well...

Ahah thank you for taking the time to actually report the correct quotes. I couldn't be arsed to do that.
I checked, and no Diargouga doesn't seem banned at the moment.
Image Image Image
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

deleted_user wrote:Hmmm I need someone to argue with about who sucks more to keep in the spirit of things.

Hi
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

zoom wrote:
«Russia is tier 1»
«rams are good»
Just stop lol

"Whales aren't a factor in half the games that are played on maps featuring them."
"Russians are a tier one civilization (out of two or three tiers in total) on non-TP maps."

I think that is a more fair paraphrasing of what Garja said. What's more, to my understanding King-Ragu himself was banned for yet another infraction of site rules after multiple warnings in a short period of time. I very much doubt it's permanent as well...

Well he said «in half the games», that's still the same lol .
He did not only said that they are tier 1 on non tp map, he also said that they are tier 1. After all, they beat fre/ger/sioux on the RE batch so why wouldn't they?
He also said that rams are good.
«Sometimes» ofc since not every civ has schooners, but still that's simply bad.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I'm sure that those topics can be argued for a very long time without a clear answer coming up.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

Garja wrote:
zoom wrote:
«Russia is tier 1»
«rams are good»
Just stop lol

Ahah thank you for taking the time to actually report the correct quotes. I couldn't be arsed to do that.
I checked, and no Diargouga doesn't seem banned at the moment.

I mean KingofOsmane.
: )
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

[Armag] diarouga wrote:
Garja wrote:That's simply not true. I could tell you just go watch the last 10k TAD games that you find between AS and the JP sitea nd you'll find like 100 instances of people sending schooners on GL.
There isn't even an argument here. Anyone who played this game for atleast 3-4 years knows perfectly that spring GL is a water map and that water is key to control the map, on top of booming.
Just because you ignore those things doesn't mean what I say is wrong or anything. You only admit you're wrong when you are exposed to the crude truth after claiming something and disregarding other opinions like you just did here. You should just accept that it is impossible for anyone to know the game perfectly so you cannot make claims like you do.

Now, back to the fuckin topic. Ruyter spam is a thing. There is no fuckin doubt about that. And yes, I saw people complaining about it already, which leads me to say that it can be considered as lame as laming goons, which is, again, something that I heard people complaining about.

Water is a key on gl, I totally agree but sending schooners is a waste.
1st you want to control the tps so atp>schooners
2nd no whales so you can t really boom, you can only make like 10 boats so you spend a shipment+600w to get 10unupgraded boats=>not worth at all.
Lol, I admit I'm wrong when I think I am wrong, not when people think I am wrong.
It s also funny to hear that from a guy who keeps saying that russia is tier 1 btw and that they beat fre, ger, sioux and can beat azzy on RE maps.

I'm not as good as you guys by any means, but I have to say diarouga's arguments here are just better — you can certainly find 100k games where something like a TC wagon is sent, but hell it doesn't mean it's any good lol
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

You could argue and counter argue both points extensively, really.

These blanket statements are littered with exceptions, I'm sure of that. Just take into account schooners on great lakes: it can be a card worth sending. Always? Maybe not. Does it have its place in meta? Probably, in some circumstances.

You could argue about it endlessly if you wanted to, since most often these statements are sometimes true, sometimes not. Those statements being true or not certainly depends on the meta as well.

We can do this for most things in AoE3, that's the beauty of the game, e.g. goodspeed's thread on Virginia Company.

Another good example is how India went from being one of the best civs (pre ESOC patch) to not a civ in the top tier (after ESOC patch). What is actually good compared to what is perceived as good is not often the same and that changes with maps and meta.
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Im sure schooners is worth it on great likes as ports. That sounds pretty neat
China fei123456
Jaeger
ESO: fei123456

Post by fei123456 »

garja is god.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

No. God is Garja.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

pecelot wrote:I'm not as good as you guys by any means, but I have to say diarouga's arguments here are just better — you can certainly find 100k games where something like a TC wagon is sent, but hell it doesn't mean it's any good lol

To be fair though you won't find any high level game where someone sends a TC wagon. If something is often done at high level, it means it's good. Or if it's bad, it means it used to be good and the meta changed I guess
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

don't team players send TC wagons?
Garja wrote:
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Jerom wrote:Im sure schooners is worth it on great likes as ports. That sounds pretty neat

No way you send schooners when you have ATP.
Germany tilanus
Retired Contributor

Post by tilanus »

Ruyters work pretty well from a technical point of view if you know how not to overkill and micro with them. A 1pop dragoon with worse stats is a nice idea, but apart from that Ruyters are just stupid units, just like there are many stupid units in AoE3. Their plain name translates to "Rider" and it's a reference to the actually German historical "Reiters", which were so successful they became the role model cavalrymen of the 17th century. Their royal guard upgrade "Carabineers" refers to the elite Karabiniers. Are the shitty Ruyter stats appropriate to display that? I don't think so.

This unit is so unrelated to Dutch history because ES with their type case design only wanted to force that fancy unit idea of a 1pop cavalryman. In the next version of NE Dutchies will eventually get Dragoons. (RIP Ruyter) :ugeek:
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

iNcog wrote:don't team players send TC wagons?

lol..
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

princeofkabul wrote:

lol..

i swear i saw tibia send a TC wagon once
Garja wrote:
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

iNcog wrote:
princeofkabul wrote:

lol..

i swear i saw tibia send a TC wagon once

i swear i've seen him doing many stupid things in his stream.
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

well :P i never thought it was a good idea to send the TC wagon, only good thing is that you can start villager production >really< fast, which is like a few extra vills i guess (time it takes to train vills vs time it takes to build a TC?)

but even that should be bad, you should just build TC as soon as you age

so honestly i don't see TC wagon ever being good on paper, maybe some people know things i don't
Garja wrote:
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

TC wagon is ofc bad because it is just 600w+ some building time saved. It was just a bad comparison with the schooners on GL which is something totally viable depending on the situation.
Image Image Image
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

Garja wrote:TC wagon is ofc bad because it is just 600w+ some building time saved. It was just a bad comparison with the schooners on GL which is something totally viable depending on the situation.

Teach us when please!
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

TC wagon is 600w compared to a 1000w shipment, that's enough to be bad. But also think that your tc wagon can be killed while going to where you want to place it. More importantly, even once it is placed, it doesn't build very fast so it can be sieged down easily (unlike for example a factory wagon) and then it's lost. If your explo is building a TC, and the TC gets sieged (happens quite frequently tbh), you will get some wood back. The TC wagon builds faster than the explo I guess, but you won't even train an extra vil with that.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

tilanus wrote:Ruyters work pretty well from a technical point of view if you know how not to overkill and micro with them. A 1pop dragoon with worse stats is a nice idea, but apart from that Ruyters are just stupid units, just like there are many stupid units in AoE3. Their plain name translates to "Rider" and it's a reference to the actually German historical "Reiters", which were so successful they became the role model cavalrymen of the 17th century. Their royal guard upgrade "Carabineers" refers to the elite Karabiniers. Are the shitty Ruyter stats appropriate to display that? I don't think so.

This unit is so unrelated to Dutch history because ES with their type case design only wanted to force that fancy unit idea of a 1pop cavalryman. In the next version of NE Dutchies will eventually get Dragoons. (RIP Ruyter) :ugeek:

Ruyter might not refer to german reiters though in the sense that ruyter is dutch for rider aswell. But yeah, gamedesign matters more in the end I guess. Itd have been better the other way around. For dutch's special unit to be a weaker but cheaper thing is kinda lame.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Jerom wrote:
tilanus wrote:Ruyters work pretty well from a technical point of view if you know how not to overkill and micro with them. A 1pop dragoon with worse stats is a nice idea, but apart from that Ruyters are just stupid units, just like there are many stupid units in AoE3. Their plain name translates to "Rider" and it's a reference to the actually German historical "Reiters", which were so successful they became the role model cavalrymen of the 17th century. Their royal guard upgrade "Carabineers" refers to the elite Karabiniers. Are the shitty Ruyter stats appropriate to display that? I don't think so.

Ruyter might not refer to german reiters though in the sense that ruyter is dutch for rider aswell. But yeah, gamedesign matters more in the end I guess. Itd have been better the other way around. For dutch's special unit to be a weaker but cheaper thing is kinda lame.

<_< u mad cuz u dutch
Garja wrote:
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

Jerom wrote:

It's not lame at all. When you consider that they are cheaper than goons, cost mostly gold, and only take one pop slot, they are an incredibly cost-efficient unit. Just because a unit is weak does not mean it is bad - just look at strelets.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

He meant that it'd be cooler if Ruiters were an elite unit rather than a cheap one which is cost-efficient. It's "cooler" that's all.
Garja wrote: