E3 2016. New Age Of Empires.

What do you think Microsoft will show on E3 2016?

Age of Empires Mobile
19%
Age of Empires 4
51%
Age of Empires 2 Expansion
4%
Age of Empires 3 Expansion
14%
Age of Mythology Expansion
1%
Age of Empires I HD
10%

Total votes: 90

United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
ESO: jezabob
Clan: 팀 하우스

Re: E3 2016. New Age Of Empires.

Post by n0el »

When red alert 3 was released by EA for Xbox and PC the controls for PC were not altered.
mad cuz bad
United States of America HeatitUP_
Lancer

Post by HeatitUP_ »

According to the poll I would say that most of you are living in some great fantasy world or are on some drugs that I want.
All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected. - Donald Trump
Canada Cocaine
Lancer
ESO: Cow God

Post by Cocaine »

HeatitUP_ wrote:According to the poll I would say that most of you are living in some great fantasy world or are on some drugs that I want.

I'm always on sum drugs, and I LOVE IT.
A little Cocaine never hurt nobody!

Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

Cocaine wrote:
HeatitUP_ wrote:According to the poll I would say that most of you are living in some great fantasy world or are on some drugs that I want.

I'm always on sum drugs, and I LOVE IT.

and i live in some great fantasy world, it has whales and forts and shiny mameluckes AND LASERS AND BEARS AND GIANT EXPLODING BLOBS OF MINUTE MAN AND ITS AOE3 AND I LOVE IT TOO.
btw this is a real screenshot i made when i did my classic 4:30min 8600 Minute Men timing push witz atzecs on nilla and got LAZERBEARED :( ...haters gonna say its photoshopped
Great Britain Panmaster
Skirmisher

Post by Panmaster »

There should be an Age of Empires 1 remake. Stone Age, Copper Age, Bronze Age, Iron Age, Classical Age.
The graphics should be DX12 and need a 1080Ti to max out. No expense should be spared.
TAD AI Reference Guide
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln
Vietnam duckzilla
Jaeger

Post by duckzilla »

Oh i would just love a remake of AoE1. Of course you could improve some aspects regarding game play etc... but not too much.
Whatever is written above: this is no financial advice.

Beati pauperes spiritu.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I dont have nostalgic feelings for aoe1. Aoe2 remake pls.

Besides weve already had our aoe1 remake in the form of aoeo.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

I think that we're gonna have to wait a little longer for AOEIV
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

E3 2017 HYPE
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

I really hope it's not an aoe2 remake. Removing shipment mechanics, batching, re-adding drop points are not things i'd like in a new aoe. AoE2 is, IMO, too cut-and-paste every game and too dependent on micro rather than overall strategy in comparison to aoe3. A strategy game should be won based on who's strategy is the best, not on who can focus fire their archers most effectively. Sc2 already has the market for that kind of rts cornered.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

I hope they keep the batch mechanics and the unit queue. I dont necessarily need shipments. In a sense those can limit the strategy if a lot of things/buildings are viable (ie, livestock pen arsenal are also as viables as TPs are) because then all strategies you can do are exactly coupled to a permutation of the good shipments. But the batch mechanics, visible unit queue and just the entire macro mechanics and UI (at least in what it shows) of aoe3 are absolutely superior. They take some of the macro burden away so that it's easier to actually achieve things and strategize. Micro is honestly fun, aoe2 micro is only really hard becuase units wont fucking respond to your commands properly.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Shipments is a very good mechanic, if they take that out then it needs to be replaced with something similar.

Batch mechanics are very nice for helping with macro.

Some other things which I would like to see in an RTS is the possibility of having a more helpful UI. When you have idle workers, you get a nice big visual display of that problem. You also get notified when you're 10 or 20 poulation away from getting population capped, instead of when it happens.

Little things like that to help players.
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iNcog wrote:Shipments is a very good mechanic, if they take that out then it needs to be replaced with something similar.

Batch mechanics are very nice for helping with macro.

Did you or did you not read my post? :?:
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Holy shit, how fast do you reply to posts?

For the record, I did not. Also shipments add immense depth to strategy.
Garja wrote:
Kyrgyzstan AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE
Lancer
ESO: dats my secret

Post by AOEisLOVE_AOEisLIFE »

_NiceKING_ wrote:E3 2017 HYPE

ALREADY COUNTING THE DAYS NEW AOE I AM 100% SURE NO JOKE DIS TIME
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

iNcog wrote:Holy shit, how fast do you reply to posts?

not so fast. Anyhow, EXPOSED. I tried to explain that shipments don't necessarily add depth to strategy.
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

Do you like how population works in aoe2 or aoe3 more?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
Canada _NiceKING_
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: _NiceKING_
GameRanger ID: 9999999
Clan: Xbox

Post by _NiceKING_ »

never tried aoe 2 ^_^
United States of America HeatitUP_
Lancer

Post by HeatitUP_ »

It's called F5 or refresh
All of the women on The Apprentice flirted with me - consciously or unconsciously. That's to be expected. - Donald Trump
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Shipments add a ton of strategic depth lol.....the most obvious thing is that aging past age 2 wouldn't really be viable if it wasn't for shipments.....
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

HeatitUP_ wrote:

It's called F5 or refresh

I browse the forums using unread posts. I dont know what exactly happened but I think right after I finished up making a post I clicked on unread posts, saw that incog had replied to this topic, which I consider more interesting than the average one, so in my journey to read posts I clicked on it and wrote a reply.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:Shipments add a ton of strategic depth lol.....the most obvious thing is that aging past age 2 wouldn't really be viable if it wasn't for shipments.....

Thats a relatively restricted statement. Yes, aoe3 would be less interesting without shipments. Applying the concept of shipments to aoe-like strategy games (like aoe2 or a remake) doesn't necessarily increase the strategic depth of that game however, at least not based on your argumentation. I personally want to argue that in a sense shipments restrict the amount of strategies you can use in the way they are implemented. It turns out that most builds are just a permutation of the few good shipments. One could argue that builds could be more interesting when a ton of shipments are viable, but in that case it almost turns into a trading card game I think. I think the same level of strategic complexity and interesting depth could be achieved if rather than shipments you just had a lot of viable options. I presented as an example the case where livestock pens, arsenal, market, TPs, towers and native TPs are all viable. If you could add even more interesting concepts to that, you can create a more diverse strategical depth to a game too, where strategy isn't dominated by shipment-based timings.

Thats, to an extend, what sc2 does, and I must say it works out quite well (my personal disliking of sc2 comes from the fact that the weight of the strategy is dominated by the mechanical requirements to even macro and micro well enough so that strategy starts to matter). It could even be better I believe if they'd have put more effort into it, or maybe if sc2 had an aoe-like concept. As is, I think its a choice that can turn out well both ways. I personally think I slightly prefer no shipments or a smaller role for shipments.

One thing about shipments in aoe3 is that it reduces the possibility of a comeback. This was the first argument against them that I read (originally by bart I think, to give proper credit) and I found it to be a strong case. In aoe3, killing units also means your getting xp. Youre not only getting ahead in military, you're also, without any strategical effort (after all military advantages can be turned into other advantages as that is the role of military in an rts) getting ahead in the shipment count. Your opponent is punished twice for losing units, which is kinda unfortunate to me. Although that alone wouldn't be enough to overthrow the shipment idea.
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

Why are you pretending shipments are the only thing that matters when making strategic choices in AoE3? They aren't. They add depth just like any other mechanic that adds choices. Obviously the game would be strategically more interesting if more things were viable but this has nothing to do with shipments.

And the fact that comebacks are harder because you get XP from killing units is not an argument against shipments, it's an argument against getting XP for killing units... which I agree you shouldn't.
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

I think getting xp for killing units is completely valid. There's nothing wrong with a mechanic that rewards good play and punishes poor, it just helps the game progress more quickly. Without this aoe3 might just be the game of infinite comebacks, drawing out games much longer than they should be although one player has a definite advantage. This is of course because shipments themselves inherently benefit the defender (shipment points closer etc) therefore if the snowballing was decreased it'd just be much harder to deliver a final blow to a beaten opponent.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

forgrin wrote:I think getting xp for killing units is completely valid. There's nothing wrong with a mechanic that rewards good play and punishes poor, it just helps the game progress more quickly. Without this aoe3 might just be the game of infinite comebacks, drawing out games much longer than they should be although one player has a definite advantage. This is of course because shipments themselves inherently benefit the defender (shipment points closer etc) therefore if the snowballing was decreased it'd just be much harder to deliver a final blow to a beaten opponent.

If you are killing more units than you are losing, are you not being rewarded for good play? Wouldn't additional mechanics that further punish the player who already lost more be unfairly biased against comebacks, which would be made by good play?