Interested in a Lieutenant/Captain/Major tournament?

You are between PR 20-31 and

would be interested in participating in this tournament
70%
wouldn't be interested in participating in this tournament
5%
smurfs will ruin this event so we shouldn't try
25%

Total votes: 60

France benj89
Howdah

Interested in a Lieutenant/Captain/Major tournament?

Post by benj89 »

Please answer the following question, as few ESOC members are wondering whether a LCM tournament should be hosted.
We haven't decided the prize yet. Ideas are: preferential spots for finalists in the next tournament, potential cash prize based on stream donation for the top3, the winner's name posted on the frontpage for a week (in a similar fashion than what mimsy for president did last time). This is of course open to debate!
Anti-smurf policies are also open to debate, suggestions are welcome!
Also comment if you could help run this event, which could happen before the next tournament in September, or later in the fall.
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Re: Interested in a Lieutenant/Captain/Major tournament?

Post by yemshi »

Just delete option 3 atm, it is rather irritating and doesn't lead to us to the point we want to be at.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

yemshi wrote:Just delete option 3 atm, it is rather irritating and doesn't lead to us to the point we want to be at.

you're right, done but it canceled the votes --
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
ESO: yemshi

Post by yemshi »

Rather new anyways
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

I'd like to volunteer to help run/cast this event.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

I didn't say we shouldn't try (or maybe I did, I don't remember). What I ment to say is that this event will be very hard to host and that it will be very hard to distinguish smurfs and real players. That doesn't mean that the event is impossible to host, it just means you're going to have to put a little bit more effort in background checks and such while hosting this event. I personally would love such an event to take place.

That being said, difficulties do not mean you shouldn't try! If you are serious about hosting this event and if there's demand then feel free to seek out to us for help in organizing. One thing you should be aware of is that hosting a tournament during summer is not a good idea at all and that we've got ASC Autumn planned around September. Maybe try for an invitational with well known members from this site. That way you root out all possibilities of smurfing as well.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

Date wise its probably going to be better to wait for after the big tournament I think. But if we're looking at november/december that should definitely work. What'd be the amount of signups we'd be aiming for? The smurfing part is too hard so it can't be open bracket. Unfair for those not known to the community unfortunately, so anyone that'd have objections should join the community or remain silent :3
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

smurfing makes impossible to put a money prize
Image Image Image
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Mr_Bramboy wrote:I didn't say we shouldn't try (or maybe I did, I don't remember). What I ment to say is that this event will be very hard to host and that it will be very hard to distinguish smurfs and real players. That doesn't mean that the event is impossible to host, it just means you're going to have to put a little bit more effort in background checks and such while hosting this event. I personally would love such an event to take place.

That being said, difficulties do not mean you shouldn't try! If you are serious about hosting this event and if there's demand then feel free to seek out to us for help in organizing. One thing you should be aware of is that hosting a tournament during summer is not a good idea at all and that we've got ASC Autumn planned around September. Maybe try for an invitational with well known members from this site. That way you root out all possibilities of smurfing as well.

Of course I am serious. I will have some free time over the summer to help this event running, however I cannot stream/cast as my PC in France is getting old. But help to background check somehow, organize everything sure!
Hm I guess you're right about hosting during summer, so we could do an invitational which would be a good way to reward active members of ESOC. Kinda sad that it excludes not so well known people tho, but yea two tournament in a row might be too much.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Garja wrote:smurfing makes impossible to put a money prize

so how do you prevent smurf for the bigger tournament? why can't we do the same thing for that one? Don't we know anyone PR 32+?
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

Jerom wrote:Date wise its probably going to be better to wait for after the big tournament I think. But if we're looking at november/december that should definitely work. What'd be the amount of signups we'd be aiming for? The smurfing part is too hard so it can't be open bracket. Unfair for those not known to the community unfortunately, so anyone that'd have objections should join the community or remain silent :3

hm good point. well I don't even know whether a small invitational or a tournament next november would be best. It's really up to those who hosted the previous tournament and what they think. Starting with an invitational that would lead to top32 of ASC autumn might be best since few people will be available to play in august.
Germany aligator92
Howdah
ESO: aligator92

Post by aligator92 »

If you want to get it done before septmeber i would suggest a 16 player invitational. You can do the RO16 on one weekend and the rest on the next weekend. So all the games can be casted. 32 players would probably take 4 weeks or a lot of games would have do be played during the week without getting casted. Also I am not even sure if we have 32 players that are willing and available. I for example will not be able to participate because I will not be home for large portions of august to october. So I guess the first step would be to get a list of people you want and ask if they are available during a certain time period.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

aligator92 wrote:If you want to get it done before septmeber i would suggest a 16 player invitational. You can do the RO16 on one weekend and the rest on the next weekend. So all the games can be casted. 32 players would probably take 4 weeks or a lot of games would have do be played during the week without getting casted. Also I am not even sure if we have 32 players that are willing and available. I for example will not be able to participate because I will not be home for large portions of august to october. So I guess the first step would be to get a list of people you want and ask if they are available during a certain time period.

sounds good like a good idea
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

It could just be delayed till november, thats not a big deal.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

benj89 wrote:

so how do you prevent smurf for the bigger tournament? why can't we do the same thing for that one? Don't we know anyone PR 32+?

You can smurf as much as you want in bigger tourney but if you are not the best player you are not going to win anyway.
Aside from that it is easier to recognize good players at the top level.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

benj89 wrote:

its not as big of a deal in a big tournament, because only a few players have the ability to play for the prize, so if someone smurfs its very likely hes found out before the final stages and appropriate action can be taken. Last tournament had a smurf, and he was found out and banned. But in a LCM tournament, its harder to find out if someone is a smurf before its too late + its harder to judge who has the ability to win as well, so it much harder to tell if there is a smurf in general. Because what if someone is just like pr34 and he wants to play? Hed go on a major acc and probably be better than most, while not actually having a shot in a 35+ tournament.

In winter Osmane smurfed and got banned, in summer Erik smurfed and got banned, and Irish faithful also smurfed but he didnt get banned, i guess cuz he got beaten by blackstar and it wasnt clear if he was smurfing from the start.

You could enquire how JPcommunity does it, because afaik they had their tournaments broken down in 3 ranks, which were kinda like 20+ 30+ and 35+. Perhaps they had some ways to deal with smurfing.

Also you could turn it into a sort of Code A, where these players qualify for a bigger tournament. So you can have like 4 weekends where 8 players play bo3s and the best 2 of them qualify. or something like that
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

yea good points that's why I'm guessing an invitational would be best, either 16 or 32, reserved to ESOC members. August or next november depends on what admin thinks, seems like novembers would be best. For the rank, I believe PR 20-31 is fair. What's interesting is that lot's of players in that range play team, so even a 2nd lieut who play 1v1 only with decent BO has a change against a major who only plays team. The difference comes with pr 34+ where people know how to play team and 1v1 correctly.
I have literally 0 experience in videogames tournament and what would work best. so Code A or not would be up to someone who knows, but I believe it shouldn't be too big of an event and be completed within 3-4 weekends or 2 weeks since we don't want this tourn to be bigger than the ASC one, that's not the goal.
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor
ESO: BrookG

Post by BrookG »

It shouldn't be simply between PR 20-31. Majors will just shred the rest. It could happen in 3 qualifying rounds, like the formula 1 system. Lieutenants play each other and the top 3 (for example) go to the next round and play with captains. The same with captains to the round of majors, and then a RO16
Correlation doesn't mean causation.
http://www.tylervigen.com/spurious-correlations

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

You should add "I can't participate but it's a good idea" and "I can't participate and it's a bad idea" for example. I myself obviously wouldn't be allowed to play in it but I still think it's a good idea, yet I can't vote :/

BrookG wrote:It shouldn't be simply between PR 20-31. Majors will just shred the rest. It could happen in 3 qualifying rounds, like the formula 1 system. Lieutenants play each other and the top 3 (for example) go to the next round and play with captains. The same with captains to the round of majors, and then a RO16

PR isn't relevant enough to do that lol, I know a ton of people who are worth way more or way less than their rank. Just do seedings like in other esoc tourneys
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

Kaiserklein wrote:You should add "I can't participate but it's a good idea" and "I can't participate and it's a bad idea" for example. I myself obviously wouldn't be allowed to play in it but I still think it's a good idea, yet I can't vote :/

BrookG wrote:It shouldn't be simply between PR 20-31. Majors will just shred the rest. It could happen in 3 qualifying rounds, like the formula 1 system. Lieutenants play each other and the top 3 (for example) go to the next round and play with captains. The same with captains to the round of majors, and then a RO16

PR isn't relevant enough to do that lol, I know a ton of people who are worth way more or way less than their rank. Just do seedings like in other esoc tourneys

Picture the tournament table, and games where a lieutenant faces a major. Even if the lieutenant is underrated, still they aren't major. Major will gain an easy win. Losing like that without even having a chance to play isn't fair imo.

"mr.brookg go buy jeans and goto the club with somppuli" - Princeofkabul, July 2018
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

@BrookG to be honest I've met tons of major who played almost team only and would definitely lose to a 1lieut who is experienced in 1v1.
However what you said would let lieutenants compete vs each other which is good. You have to consider that we would start with 32 people max tho, at least for the first LCM.
@kaiserklein if I add poll options it will cancel the votes :s
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Should have a 2nd lt a 1lt a captain and a major in each grouo if possible
Greece BrookG
Retired Contributor

Post by BrookG »

@benj89 Then, would a major that plays mostly team participate such a tournament? And I agree if the participants are less for this first one. Invitational is also a good idea.

Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

This could be the main tourney and then just final stage with pr 32+
I dont think PR will be the rating to consider tho.
Image Image Image
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

We can just do it by ELO instead, it's generally much more accurate to a player's skill.
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP