Team tournament?

India drsingh
Dragoon
ESO: drsingh

Team tournament?

Post by drsingh »

I was following strong world before, came back after a few months to see it was discontinued. There might have been some other team tournament which I missed meanwhile.

I have a suggestion, once the esoc patch is more balanced for 1v1 (probably after next patch release)

"3v3 team tournament"

Each match will be civ mirrors. One (losing) team selects the civ's, other the map. No civ being repeated in a best of 3. The teams can distribute the civ among the 3 of them themselves. Each team mandated to have atleast one lower skill player.

Should see wider acceptance since 3v3 is more popular format and due to inclusion of lower skill players.
Also a nice change for viewers since 1v1 and 3v3 are played very differently, and more variety of civ will be seen being played. Some interesting civ combo strats might be discovered.
Will help further development of esoc patch for team play. Ofcourse the top 5 or so players shouldn't be allowed in same team. Average players will learn a lot from their expert team mates in practice matches. While experts will have a bigger challenge than their usual 1v1.

Advertising it on ESO with game title like - "ESOC 3v3 tournament. Prize xy$. sign up at esoc.net" From one month before will surely get lot of ppl to join and switch to patch. If there is no legal issue.

What do you guys think? If this is possible or some variations...
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Re: Team tournament?

Post by tedere12 »

3v3 would be lag
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

tedere12 wrote:3v3 would be lag

yes, and Imo 2v2 is far more enjoyable to watch and easier to follow than 3v3, but maybe that's bias considering i dislike 3v3, and prefer 1v1/2v2
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

3v3 is the most enjoyable to play, least enjoyable to watch. I think that is because in x3 you interact the most with other which is why people prefer it but you play the least ( only 1 unit, poor macro most times, teammates carry you) which is why people find it boring to observe
India drsingh
Dragoon

Post by drsingh »

I wouldn't say which format is more enjoyable to watch. They are different. After 2-3 1v1 tournaments a team one will bring a variation which will be fun to watch. They might turn out different from what the casual matches usually are, due to the tournament setting.

Though issues with lag and such. I myself had some problems when after going half in game my computer got stuck and I got disconnected. Being more demanding on computer and the connection will limit some players.

I didn't suggest 2v2 originally because it is very similar to 1v1 and small mistakes by the lesser skilled team mates will result in loss. (More effect of chance and less strategy). Lesser fun for players and viewers alike. If we don't include average players then this won't matter. But then everyone knows which team wins in the end before starting.
United States of America Kappatain
Crossbow
ESO: Kappatain

Post by Kappatain »

I would watch a 3v3 tourney any day. Especially if they started official-sounding team names and hype :D That would be fun
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

i think this would be fun, but figuring out to make fair teams that everyone is ok with would be hard, plus the fact that with 6 player + 1-2 observers/streamers there would definitely be lots of lag.

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around
India drsingh
Dragoon

Post by drsingh »

There are some things which we can do to minimise the lag. Though cant ignore it as an issue.

Having only 1 observer. The one with faster connection, using screenshare with the 2nd observer.
OR
No observer. Streaming recorded games like old time. Does the ui work for recorded games? And what about that record all games option in launcher. That seperate recording app, what features are planned.

Also having the 3 players check their own ping before forming team atleast.

And does using gameranger to connect than ESO increase or decrease the lag?

Edit-- to help with team distribution. A rule-
4 finalists of last 3 1v1 tournaments not allowed in same team.
That should segregate atleast 6-8 top tad players in different teams.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

The issue isnt gonna be lag, its gonna be getting 6 people from different places in the world to show up at the same time
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

2v2 is easier to organise with players etc, less lag, takes more skill to play
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

3v3 is just not competitive at all, hosting a tourney on that game mode would be a joke. 2v2 is a decent game mode though. But from my experience, it's really hard to organize a team tourney, because the more players the harder to schedule. I've actually never seen a team tourney get finished lol.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Germany QueenOfdestiny
Retired Contributor
ESO: QueenOfdestiny

Post by QueenOfdestiny »

WOW a 3v3 tournament would be awesome for noobs like me!!! :D
shit juice :hmm:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I'd vote for a 2v2 tournament though.

The unfortunate part would be that bram will force me to play with him which will result in him fucking everything up like he usually does and us losing.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

I think a 2v2 tournament could work. There should probably be some sort of elo ceiling like in the 2v2 tr tournament to even the field a bit.
United States of America dicktator_
Howdah
EWT
ESO: Conquerer999

Post by dicktator_ »

I really wish they had done a team sup tournament back when kingownage was still around (though with any elo requirement we probably wouldn't be allowed to team).
steniothejonjoe wrote:I can micro better than 99% of the player base and that's 100% objective
:mds:
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Madkle sux team, not gonna happen
/thread
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I like doing a 2v2 tournament to replace what strong world couldve been.
India Ashvin
Retired Contributor
ESO: Octanium

Post by Ashvin »

yeah i'm down to 2v2 :smile:
Switzerland glorious_
Dragoon
ESO: Revan

Post by glorious_ »

even though I prefer 3v3, i'd rather see a 2v2 tournament. If u make a 3v3 its so hard to find a time when everyone can play.
Great Britain Method_man714
Lancer
ESO: Therotivator

Post by Method_man714 »

I want to team with Van Der Merwe.
hazzarov: can u fk off callen
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Kaiserklein wrote:3v3 is just not competitive at all, hosting a tourney on that game mode would be a joke. 2v2 is a decent game mode though. But from my experience, it's really hard to organize a team tourney, because the more players the harder to schedule. I've actually never seen a team tourney get finished lol.

Getting more than 4 people to play at the same time (I include casters in this) is difficult to the point of it not being realistic, I would say. Especially if they need to be there for a long time.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Other random thoughts from experience with SW (which I'll probably never host again in its current format, it's just too much of a hassle*).

- Getting teams together is a hassle, but shouldn't be a problem if there are only two team-mates,
- Organizing matches (including finding streamers) is a hassle, I'd say the difficulty of doing so ramps up significantly after more than 4 people (including streamer with UI, internet capabilities, etc.) are involved,
- Some players who are invested in the tournament will be very proactive and professional in their approach to the system, I'd say 50% of said players are like that,
- Assuming you grab only the proactive players, you could probably run a simple bracket tournament without too many issues, just limit the amount of players,
- The more simple the format, the easier things are,
- Good maps and civ rules are as important as the tournament format itself,

Some easier formats to run would be random teams. Have random people sign up, organize a team based on elo (separate high level players), just grab anyone who can make it at a set time. Making that a weekly event / league would be a hassle, especially since you'd need to somehow rank individual players instead of teams, which would be a hassle. If it's just show-matches it's fine though, would basically be a team smack-down. The UI for such events is there.

* If I ever do SW again, it's certainly not in the near future. I have too many things to do irl atm. Also, if SW were to happen again, it would be a lite version of the challenge thing, which seemed to work out well last time. Screw tiers and whatnot. We don't have enough manpower to do that. The challenge thing though? That worked out well enough, I had some positive feedback on that.

I'd also like to say sorry about the discontinuance of previous SW, in the end no one really had the time or inclination to go through with it. I set the bar too high and the entire event suffered for it. Just shows my inexperience really; it's also entirely my fault. I'd like to thank those who participated and also those who viewed the event. I know some people had fun and just knowing that makes me somewhat satisfied.
Garja wrote:
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Pezet

Post by pecelot »

SW was fun
WPACT STRONK
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

Wpact was one of the highlights for SW to me. you guys were really into it. :P
Garja wrote:
Tonga sdsanft
Howdah
ESO: sdsanft

Post by sdsanft »

If we have teams of two, would we need to have alternates from teams or no?

Site: Be there or be square
Jakey: I'm square because I'm not around