Making the jump to pr 30+

No Flag kushkush
Musketeer

Post by kushkush »

I've been hanging around the major rank for sometime now and I'm curious and how to make these steps. What's the best plan? Hours and hours? Higher apm?
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Show some gameplay ^^
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Yeah, play a lot, like 20+ hours a week.
Also buy a gamer mouse it helps a lot.
Germany oO_Chief_Oo
Musketeer
ESO: S77XN

Post by oO_Chief_Oo »

skip teamgames and focus 1v1
ranking up with teamgames only is harsh
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Basically if you want to have an average social life you can't. All the top players have played thousands of games and that's just not possible if you have a full time job and school and are married and have friends. Unless your just a natural at the game maybe you can get away with less.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gibson wrote:Basically if you want to have an average social life you can''t. All the top players have played thousands of games and that''s just not possible if you have a full time job and school and are married and have friends. Unless your just a natural at the game maybe you can get away with less.

Lol,
Imo I don''t play much (20 hours/week), and I''m only 16 and I''m bad in computer games.

A 25 years old guy who plays 20 hours a week can easily grow colo in 1 year.
Germany oO_Chief_Oo
Musketeer
ESO: S77XN

Post by oO_Chief_Oo »

i also just turned 17 and kinda got my 3k games.
i guess u just need the experience which u receive by the time
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

diarouga wrote:
gibson wrote:Basically if you want to have an average social life you cant. All the top players have played thousands of games and thats just not possible if you have a full time job and school and are married and have friends. Unless your just a natural at the game maybe you can get away with less.
Lol,
Imo I dont play much (20 hours/week), and Im only 16 and Im bad in computer games.

Yes, and most people dont have 20 hours a week to play one video games. That requires you to have a dedication to that specific video game, (probably) not be married, and only have one or two other major commitments( school, work, girlfriend etc.) I know I dont have 20 hours a week. I have part time job that I work 20 hours a week, am in college, play req ball, maintain relationship with my friends etc. Back when I had a girlfriend I played probably once every two weeks. Now that I dont I have time for a game or two a day. But time is money and Im not gonna spend 20 hours a week playing aoe3 when I could make 200$ in that time.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

gibson wrote:
diarouga wrote:Lol,
Imo I dont play much (20 hours/week), and Im only 16 and Im bad in computer games.

Yes, and most people dont have 20 hours a week to play one video games. That requires you to have a dedication to that specific video game, (probably) not be married, and only have one or two other major commitments( school, work, girlfriend etc.) I know I dont have 20 hours a week. I have part time job that I work 20 hours a week, am in college, play req ball, maintain relationship with my friends etc. Back when I had a girlfriend I played probably once every two weeks. Now that I dont I have time for a game or two a day. But time is money and Im not gonna spend 20 hours a week playing aoe3 when I could make 200$ in that time.
Well, if you dont spend your time in a game you wont beat people who play more than 20 hours a week, thats oubvious.
No Flag jsimons1289
Dragoon

Post by jsimons1289 »

To a certain extent you need the knowledge of the game to be competitive at higher levels. You can't do that without putting in the time.

But try to think why you lost. What is it you did wrong? Try different things...pushing earlier, different build orders etc. So many people just quit without looking at post game stats, and then try the exact same thing next time. If you do this, you deserve to lose over and over again.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

diarouga wrote:
gibson wrote:Yes, and most people dont have 20 hours a week to play one video games. That requires you to have a dedication to that specific video game, (probably) not be married, and only have one or two other major commitments( school, work, girlfriend etc.) I know I dont have 20 hours a week. I have part time job that I work 20 hours a week, am in college, play req ball, maintain relationship with my friends etc. Back when I had a girlfriend I played probably once every two weeks. Now that I dont I have time for a game or two a day. But time is money and Im not gonna spend 20 hours a week playing aoe3 when I could make 200$ in that time.
Well, if you dont spend your time in a game you wont beat people who play more than 20 hours a week, thats oubvious.
Exactly
United States of America giveuanxiety
Advanced Player
Donator 02
ESO: GiveUAnxiety

Post by giveuanxiety »

for most people id say 85% is towards game knowledge. People can be pr 32 in 1 MU on a certain map and then be pr 22 in other MU's/maps. Also lots of good- great aoe3 players use a embarrassingly low amount of hotkeys. Using every hotkey you can will help with apm and speed.
Lasol wrote: :hmm: just Saw a YouTube video with giveyouanexiaty. He Said check youre stove, if you Want to improve youre aoe3 skills.

WHAT does check your stove means? And how do you do it?
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

watch rts recs
(unless u have a 1995 mouse it won't change anything)
play lot's of qs --> don't hesitate to play with higher ranked ppl
add some hotkeys
if you are 25 years old there is a high chance you won't beat those hs guys since they will be able to play more than you, but if u manage to put like 7-8h a week (which is possible, even with part time job, social life etc), you can still improve a lot!
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

It's about making this game into a "class" to study. There's so many things to understand, things as simple as counter systems, and as complex as knowing your opponents' civ card options and civ tendency.
Best way is to practice about ~30 games of each civ, to get a feel for what cards they FEEL or tend to be sent in given situations, then when you are playing vs them, you know what to expect and can counter it.

I started off spamming games, then began watching masses of recs, then finally started paying attention to smaller details, then eventually started civ diversifying.
That was over a very long time tho. I currently work 50 hours a week and go out every weekend and have softball league on saturdays...but then again I've been playing RTS for ~12 years :P
No Flag mnogud
Lancer

Post by mnogud »

iamsoldier wrote:It''s about making this game into a "class" to study. There''s so many things to understand, things as simple as counter systems, and as complex as knowing your opponents'' civ card options and civ tendency.
Best way is to practice about ~30 games of each civ, to get a feel for what cards they FEEL or tend to be sent in given situations, then when you are playing vs them, you know what to expect and can counter it.

I started off spamming games, then began watching masses of recs, then finally started paying attention to smaller details, then eventually started civ diversifying.
That was over a very long time tho. I currently work 50 hours a week and go out every weekend and have softball league on saturdays...but then again I''ve been playing RTS for ~12 years :P
what kinda jobs needs 50 hours a week ? :o
No Flag lordcharlie131
Musketeer

Post by lordcharlie131 »

giveuanxiety wrote:for most people id say 85% is towards game knowledge. People can be pr 32 in 1 MU on a certain map and then be pr 22 in other MU''s/maps. Also lots of good- great aoe3 players use a embarrassingly low amount of hotkeys. Using every hotkey you can will help with apm and speed.
which hotkey''s are most essential? i know i am lazy with micro and i am just using hotkey''s for idle villager, select tc and Military builings(controll groups), attack move, and 3-4 Military controll groups.

what is not mentioned and still essential?
You have not set your flag, click to select your flag. Marco1698

Post by Marco1698 »

Maybe It's just your limit. Not everyone can become pr 40 dude. Unless you want to spend all the day on this game.
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

indeed everyone can become pr 40 if he has enough time to spend on the game
"Prestige is like a powerful magnet that warps even your beliefs about what you enjoy. If you want to make ambitious people waste their time on errands, bait the hook with prestige." - Paul Graham
United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Post by SoldieR »

Machinist
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

+1 benj89 but you have to spend them properly.

By the way listen to Diarouga, we both had the same level a year ago (about 1st lt). Now he is almost colonel !
France benj89
Howdah

Post by benj89 »

yep
hotkeys (there are a decent amount of hotkeys which really help to improve, waste less time in apm, simply have a proper micro/macro)
recs (for the bos mostly)
play every civ: only way to understand their weaknesses
have bos where u know around how many vills should be doing what and at what time is also important for the first 7-8 minutes, so then you can adapt from them.
play qs to be able to adapt to unexpected situation
and I think thats it!
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

iamsoldier wrote: and have softball league on saturdays
Adult req league softball is probably the best thing ever.
Great Britain WickedCossack
Retired Contributor

Post by WickedCossack »

benj89 wrote:indeed everyone can become pr 40 if he has enough time to spend on the game

Not sure on that. There''s for sure a natural limit, not sure what PR exactly it would be though. Over PR32+ at least though imo.
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold

wickedcossack wrote:
benj89 wrote:indeed everyone can become pr 40 if he has enough time to spend on the game
Not sure on that. Theres for sure a natural limit, not sure what PR exactly it would be though. Over PR32+ at least though imo.
Well,
If you look at yuza, piroshi... they did 20 000 games and theyre lt co/colo and they wont improove, but, someone who play 20k games, watch streams/recs... should be able to grow colo/briga.
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

piro is forcing himself to play one civ and one [bad] strategy every game. that he managed to make colonel with that is impressive in my eyes. if he felt like playing other civs and playing the game with other builds I'm sure he'd be much higher ranked

also there is no natural limit to PR cap, it's more that it'll take more or less time for each different person to make it to the top.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.