New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Re: IrishFaithful vs Knuschelbär

Post by zoom »

ovi12 wrote:
zoom wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Nice map. I trust you're aware that the asymmetries are entirely political.

Of course, but I'm sure you're aware that timezones are defined by this map, not by perfectly even meridians
Actually, that map defines the time-zones adapted by the respective sovereign territories. The time-zones themselves are defined in the manner I described. I absolutely see what I think you mean though; that map shows the political time-zones, which is the sense in which the word is commonly used. Given the context, I should have focused more on it.
United States of America urmom69
Crossbow

Post by urmom69 »

Jerom wrote:There's a lot of people putting a lot of effort into making the tournament happen. It would not be nice to have to grant admin wins, so I hope you can take the round deadlines into account a little bit more moving forward.

And I hope that you can take into account that the players who play in the tournament devote their time to it as well. I work every day of the week, but I have been taking days off just to play in this tournament. You don't understand the demands of a professional job, because you're not a professional and you don't have the toughness it takes to be one.

Gonna keep this concise. As a moderator, you need to learn to keep your smirky remarks to yourself. If you are even implying that I should be granted an admin loss, then I'll resign now.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

urmom69 wrote:
Jerom wrote:There's a lot of people putting a lot of effort into making the tournament happen. It would not be nice to have to grant admin wins, so I hope you can take the round deadlines into account a little bit more moving forward.

And I hope that you can take into account that the players who play in the tournament devote their time to it as well. I work every day of the week, but I have been taking days off just to play in this tournament. You don't understand the demands of a professional job, because you're not a professional and you don't have the toughness it takes to be one.

Gonna keep this concise. As a moderator, you need to learn to keep your smirky remarks to yourself. If you are even implying that I should be granted an admin loss, then I'll resign now.
I don't think that's what Jerom means at all.
Netherlands MCJim
Retired Contributor
ESO: MCJim

Post by MCJim »

I put you guys on the schedule at 19 GMT! Hope to see you both playing at that time :) Let me know if something changes!
Good luck and have fun!

viewtopic.php?f=201&t=8514
:food: My AoE3 YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MCJimAgeofEmpiresIII
:wood: My AoE3 Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/MCJim_

:coin: Age of Streaming YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/AgeOfStreaming
Crossbow

Post by urmom69 »

zoom wrote:I don't think that's what Jerom means at all.

I think you just lean towards opposition because you think it makes you smart.

He's saying that it would "not be nice" for him to grant an admin win if I don't meet the deadlines.

I was open both days of the weekend, and agreed to knush's demands to play on Sunday.
I missed a series by 26 minutes due to a timezone miscalculation and knush doesn't want to play because he wanted to watch football the entire time.

I say that I can't play two series this weekend, and hadn't planned on playing even one, but am willing to devote 2 hours because of the miscalculation I made.

Jerom's remark is just another feel-good authoritative remark you see on every forum. We had already resolved all the confusion and any comment thereafter is just unnecessary, especially a threat.

If tournament staff isn't professional then I'm not going to play, simple as that.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

damn irish is right for once. though ofcourse he has to show off what kind of dick he is by saying this:
You don't understand the demands of a professional job, because you're not a professional and you don't have the toughness it takes to be one.
Austria KINGofOsmane
Pro Player
ESO: KINGofOsmane

Post by KINGofOsmane »

1:0 irish:zoo
"Losing to Callen was the worst night of my life" Gibthedurrty 2019
"If hazza can get pr42 with team i can get pr50 with 1v1" Gibthedurrty 2018
Lecastete wrote: Dude i hate this game. I am bad and i also dont have luck
Tete cs:go experience
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme

Post by zoom »

urmom69 wrote:
zoom wrote:I don't think that's what Jerom means at all.

I think you just lean towards opposition because you think it makes you smart.

He's saying that it would "not be nice" for him to grant an admin win if I don't meet the deadlines.

I was open both days of the weekend, and agreed to knush's demands to play on Sunday.
I missed a series by 26 minutes due to a timezone miscalculation and knush doesn't want to play because he wanted to watch football the entire time.

I say that I can't play two series this weekend, and hadn't planned on playing even one, but am willing to devote 2 hours because of the miscalculation I made.

Jerom's remark is just another feel-good authoritative remark you see on every forum. We had already resolved all the confusion and any comment thereafter is just unnecessary, especially a threat.

If tournament staff isn't professional then I'm not going to play, simple as that.
That's actually fascinating, due partly to your notorious antagonism – amply exemplified in this very post – and partly to your ignorance of both it and my intent. Of course, that doesn't invalidate your belief so much as it might certain other things.

In this case I "leaned towards opposition" because, judging by your reply to Jerom's post, you interpreted it as some sort of implicit threat. My belief, however, is that he actually would hate to see your series being decided by an admin decision only because of scheduling issues. I'm sure you can imagine how the sentence "If I win this weekend, I'm not going to do another series, I don't have time for that" could reasonably raise such concerns; particularly in its ambiguity, as opposed to (for instance) "If I win this series, I won't have the time to play another one this same weekend".

If I am wrong about Jerom's intent, it is not because of mine. So please, try not to assume the worst, and good luck for the rest of the tournament.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

irish just molesting
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

zoom wrote:
ovi12 wrote:
Show hidden quotes

Of course, but I'm sure you're aware that timezones are defined by this map, not by perfectly even meridians
Actually, that map defines the time-zones adapted by the respective sovereign territories. The time-zones themselves are defined in the manner I described. I absolutely see what I think you mean though; that map shows the political time-zones, which is the sense in which the word is commonly used. Given the context, I should have focused more on it.

No, because time zones are an inherently human construct. To say that they're segmented into 24 even slices is just as ignorant as was suggested. 24 is an arbitrary number selected by humans. It could just as easily be 48, or 12. So you're trying to remove the human political choice from the definition of time zones to make your statement true, but the very nature of establishing time zones is a political and human intervention.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

zoom wrote:coup-de-gras

coup de grâce plz
gras = fat
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Post by momuuu »

I actually had no ill intends and it wasnt a threat. Nobody wants to make admin decisions ever, but Im just kinda afraid people are taking the liberties we give and just completely ignoring deadlines. I mean, most of you guys tend to play this game quite a lot, it always strikes me as extremely odd that it is so hard to schedule to the point where I start having doubts about the truth behind some availabilities. Sometimes Im just worried people try to get extensions not because they cant play but because the times are not as optimal as they would like.

It seems thats not a completely invalid concern here, especially because its pretty detrimental to the flow of the tournament. Id have been really happy if the ro16 was completely finished at this point.

With that in mind its probably not worth it to endlessly discuss this. I beg of you though, are you sure you do not have any free time at all this weekend or even monday/tuesday/whenever?
Crossbow

Post by urmom69 »

zoom wrote:That's actually fascinating, due partly to your notorious antagonism – amply exemplified in this very post – and partly to your ignorance of both it and my intent. Of course, that doesn't invalidate your belief so much as it might certain other things.

Just a suggestion, stop with the word salads. If you have a strong argument to make, then you shouldn't have to obfuscate it in a jumble of words.

You're making you're sentences complicated to give the appearance of intelligence, so that people will think you're smart and accept your argument even when you're wrong. It's called a word salad.

That's how amateurs write and code. They think that if they make it look difficult, people reading will assume they can't understand because the writer is just smarter than them. In reality, the writer wouldn't be able to read it if someone else were insecure enough to write it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SARbwvhupQ
---
Here are your actual arguments:

1. Jerom misinterpreted me when I said "If I win this weekend, I'm not going to do another series, I don't have time for that."
You took the quote out of context, it's a logical fallacy.

This is in response to H2O asking us to play 2 series:
urmom69 wrote:"Prior to the miscalcs of timezones, I planned on skipping this weekend, but now I have to fit knusch in.
If I win this weekend, I'm not going to do another series, I don't have time for that."

And not just that, it was clarified by two other people in posts below before Jerom posted.
So despite a big word salad, you're actual argument is incorrect.

2. Jerom wasn't issuing a threat.
jerom wrote:There's a lot of people putting a lot of effort into making the tournament happen. It would not be nice to have to grant admin wins,
so I hope you can take the round deadlines into account a little bit more moving forward.

Who would be given an admin loss? Me. If I don't take the round deadlines seriously, I'm be given an admin loss. It doesn't matter whether he genuinely would hate to see me get an admin loss, if I don't take the scheduling more seriously I will get an admin loss. That's a threat, it doesn't matter what the intent is.

Jerom thinks I haven't taken deadlines seriously for some reason because I made a mistake on timezones. This is just an unnecessary disciplinary remark from a moderator as we already resolved the issue in a very concise manner. I replied that he shouldn't assume that.

zoom wrote:So please, try not to assume the worst

I'm not assuming the worse, he is assuming that I don't take deadlines seriously.
I'm saying that he doesn't understand how important deadlines are, and shouldn't threaten me when he doesn't even understand deadlines.
Crossbow

Post by urmom69 »

Jerom wrote:I actually had no ill intends and it wasnt a threat. Nobody wants to make admin decisions ever, but Im just kinda afraid people are taking the liberties we give and just completely ignoring deadlines. I mean, most of you guys tend to play this game quite a lot, it always strikes me as extremely odd that it is so hard to schedule to the point where I start having doubts about the truth behind some availabilities. Sometimes Im just worried people try to get extensions not because they cant play but because the times are not as optimal as they would like.

It seems thats not a completely invalid concern here, especially because its pretty detrimental to the flow of the tournament. Id have been really happy if the ro16 was completely finished at this point.

With that in mind its probably not worth it to endlessly discuss this. I beg of you though, are you sure you do not have any free time at all this weekend or even monday/tuesday/whenever?

Don't buy it. It was 100% a threat, and you're even backing it up more in your second sentence.

jerom wrote:Im just kinda afraid people are taking the liberties we give and just completely ignoring deadlines.

So what did you do? Threat.

jerom wrote:you sure you do not have any free time at all this weekend or even monday/tuesday/

What do you not understand? I posted already that I work every day of the week, and I've been cutting work on weekends to play.
I told people I would be working this weekend and not playing a video game. Is that so difficult to understand?
You're even asking me if I can move deadlines or something, which is hilarious.

Now I'm an hour late to bed, because I have to decode a word salad.
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
Retired Contributor
Donator 01
ESO: [VOC] Bram

Post by Mr_Bramboy »

Hey irish you ever think about writing news posts? Your writing is pretty good.

In all seriousness the most important part is that these games get played, regardless of the deadline. I hope you can succeed in this.
United States of America lesllamas
Lancer

Post by lesllamas »

Pretty sure you're not the only one on this board with a full time job, Irish. Unless you're working like, 90 fucking hours per week, then there's no legit reason in my mind for you to not be able to carve out some serious chunks of time. I work 50 hours a week, which is more than some, and fewer than some, and every day I can set aside probably 3 non-sleep hours extremely comfortably for leisure. It's a math equation. 24 hours in a day. 8-12 hours of work on a given day. 8 hours of sleep. 1 hour of commuting/eating for argument's sake. 3 hours at bare fucking minimum on a 12 hour work day that are unaccounted for. You're not gonna bullshit anybody here into thinking you don't have time because of fucking work. Please. Have a bit of respect for the rest of the working community.

Tournaments have rules for a reason. An admin saying you'll get a loss for not being able to comply within the rules isn't a fucking threat. It's a fucking fact. It doesn't matter whether or not you fucked up timezones or not--it's nobody's responsibility but yours to meet the requirements set down by the tournament you signed up for. So it's somewhat ironic that you're bitching Jerom out about not knowing what responsibility/deadlines are, when you can't take an ounce of responsibility yourself.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Cutting work to play video games XD so very professional.

But please do tell Zoom more about his word salads, maybe if someone else but me tells him that, he might stop boring everyone with them.
Crossbow

Post by urmom69 »

lesllamas wrote:Pretty sure you're not the only one on this board with a full time job, Irish. Unless you're working like, 90 fucking hours per week, then there's no legit reason in my mind for you to not be able to carve out some serious chunks of time. I work 50 hours a week, which is more than some, and fewer than some, and every day I can set aside probably 3 non-sleep hours extremely comfortably for leisure. It's a math equation. 24 hours in a day. 8-12 hours of work on a given day. 8 hours of sleep. 1 hour of commuting/eating for argument's sake. 3 hours at bare fucking minimum on a 12 hour work day that are unaccounted for. You're not gonna bullshit anybody here into thinking you don't have time because of fucking work. Please. Have a bit of respect for the rest of the working community.

Tournaments have rules for a reason. An admin saying you'll get a loss for not being able to comply within the rules isn't a fucking threat. It's a fucking fact. It doesn't matter whether or not you fucked up timezones or not--it's nobody's responsibility but yours to meet the requirements set down by the tournament you signed up for. So it's somewhat ironic that you're bitching Jerom out about not knowing what responsibility/deadlines are, when you can't take an ounce of responsibility yourself.

I get up at 8 am everyday. 9 am I work until 7 pm. I get 8 hours of sleep everyday, because my job requires me to be on point.

I think you've missed the point that I'm available after 7pm, and if knush and aiz want to play at 4 am, that works fine with me.

Mr_Bramboy wrote:Hey irish you ever think about writing news posts? Your writing is pretty good.

In all seriousness the most important part is that these games get played, regardless of the deadline. I hope you can succeed in this.

I'm out. Wrong time to joke around.
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

Dont let the door hit you on the way out, would suck if you werent on point cuz youre dizzy
No Flag Jaeger
Jaeger

Post by Jaeger »

Just another step of @Aizamk 's secret plan of winning the tournament
last time i cryed was because i stood on Lego
Palestine Mimsy for President
Jaeger

Post by Mimsy for President »

zoom wrote:
Goodspeed wrote:
Show hidden quotes
Someone sig this
In his brief, above post, the author begins by confirming his confusion over the AM/PM denotations inherent to his native culture and language. Without connection having related this to unfamiliarity with time-zones – itself surprising considering his living in a country with multiple time-zones – he immediately demonstrates it by distinguishing "GMT" (a time-zone) from "timezones", before proceeding to his coup-de-gras: the assertion that "the American timezone" is "just a much better system". However – not even a time-zone that does exist is a system.

Equally sized areas of Earth's surface between any two of twenty-four evenly distributed meridians (lines running along the planet's surface from pole to pole), Time-zones are the standardized geographical manifestation of the average Earth day. They reflect that the time of day at any given point along the Equator is always unique. GMT(+0) is the default of the twenty-four time-zones.

Never before in the field of human conflict has so much ignorance been condensed into such a short text. I do believe a "not even wrong!" is in order.
I don't know whether it was intended or not, but you wrote coup de gras instead of coup de grâce and gras means fat, which is somewhat appropriate when it comes to Americans, with all the stereotypes it implies. Chapeau l'artiste!
No Flag watching
Crossbow

Post by watching »

It's extremely annoying and childish to see all these people commenting on this thread eventhough it's none of their business. Yes I am looking at you Umeu and a couple of others. This thread is something between Irish and Knuschel and they together with an admin should try to work something out. I am sure if all you ego shitposters weren't interfering they would have made something work out by now. But thanks to you now we can't see these games play out. Thanks alot.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

watching wrote:It's extremely annoying and childish to see all these people commenting on this thread eventhough it's none of their business. Yes I am looking at you Umeu and a couple of others. This thread is something between Irish and Knuschel and they together with an admin should try to work something out. I am sure if all you ego shitposters weren't interfering they would have made something work out by now. But thanks to you now we can't see these games play out. Thanks alot.

You're doing the exact same stuff commenting on this thread, even though it's none of your business lmao
And so am I. But I do agree this shouldn't happen, I think mods should just clean everything that isn't directly related to scheduling
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
Netherlands Veni_Vidi_Vici_W
Lancer
ESO: ramex19

Post by Veni_Vidi_Vici_W »

urmom69 wrote:
zoom wrote:That's actually fascinating, due partly to your notorious antagonism – amply exemplified in this very post – and partly to your ignorance of both it and my intent. Of course, that doesn't invalidate your belief so much as it might certain other things.

Just a suggestion, stop with the word salads. If you have a strong argument to make, then you shouldn't have to obfuscate it in a jumble of words.

You're making you're sentences complicated to give the appearance of intelligence, so that people will think you're smart and accept your argument even when you're wrong. It's called a word salad.

That's how amateurs write and code. They think that if they make it look difficult, people reading will assume they can't understand because the writer is just smarter than them. In reality, the writer wouldn't be able to read it if someone else were insecure enough to write it that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SARbwvhupQ

That is one thing I picked up here, very true, couldnt have said it better

However, Irish, I find it odd that you would be out after a comment like this.
Mr_Bramboy wrote:
Hey irish you ever think about writing news posts? Your writing is pretty good.

I'm out. Wrong time to joke around.

Especially considering your professionalism you talk about, should be able to take a joke (in fact it might have been a serious compliment also, never know with the Bram).
Just get the series played this weekend guys ^^
Age Of Empires 3 Videos - GamePlay, Commentary & Tutorials: http://www.youtube.com/venividiviciw
Age Of Empires 3 Live Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/venividivici_w
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

urmom69 wrote:
zoom wrote:You're making you're sentences complicated to give the appearance of intelligence, so that people will think you're smart and accept your argument even when you're wrong. It's called a word salad.

The only thing which would make this any more true is if Zoi started a thread where he rated book classics, because as everyone knows, that's where the original E-penis/IQ-boner was at.

This is my Metis-moment (someone should coin this phrase):
I recently spent some time at a language course because I recently moved to a new country, and there is one guy there whose only hobby, allegedly, according to himself, is reading tolstoy and dostojevskij. God, he must be so f-ing smart. Reading books and shit.
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth