Case study against otto

Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Case study against otto

Post by Jerimuno »

It has recently come to my attention that plenty of players are unsure about how to play against the mighty ottoman civilzation.

Luckily some players are aware of how impactful and instructive recorded games can be, in particular for lower levelled players, who might want to benefit from the experience of others.

Therefore i would like to share 4 games against otto, which were played today, showing what can be done against them with a variety of other civilizations.
Attachments
[EP9 SP] ageofkiller[OT] vs Jerimuno[SP] - ESOC Arizona.age3yrec
(481.65 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
ESOC Arizona
ESOC Arizona
Rules: Supremacy (1v1)
Version: ESOC Patch 9
Length: 10 minutes
[EP9 SP] ageofkiller[OT] vs Jerimuno[JP] - ESOC Colorado.age3yrec
(404.41 KiB) Downloaded 86 times
ESOC Colorado
ESOC Colorado
Length: 17 minutes
[EP9 SP] ageofkiller[OT] vs Jerimuno[FR] - ESOC High Plains.age3yrec
(400.31 KiB) Downloaded 110 times
ESOC High Plains
ESOC High Plains
Length: 10 minutes
[EP9 SP] ageofkiller[OT] vs Jerimuno[CH] - ESOC Pampas Sierras.age3yrec
(428.54 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
ESOC Pampas Sierras
ESOC Pampas Sierras
Length: 15 minutes
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Re: Case study against otto

Post by Rohbrot »

Lol
Spain pain train is real
Brazil look
Howdah
ESO: LoOk_tOm

Post by look »

KEKEKEKE
Kaiser sucks
Garja Noob
grunt the best
Kickass God
BSOP OP
France chronique
Advanced Player
ESO: poissondu44

Post by chronique »

The last one maybe not necessary, otto no tp is not realy a problem.
Great Britain Riotcoke
Retired Contributor
ECL Reigning ChampsDonator 01
ESO: Riotcoke
Clan: UwU

Post by Riotcoke »

Thank you mr muno.

twitch.tv/stangoesdeepTV
Norway oxaloacetate
Dragoon

Post by oxaloacetate »

Will this work also against top players?
We watched the tragedy unfold
We did as we were told
We bought and sold
It was the greatest show on earth
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

im new with otto but you played all mus great.

Gg
Canada forgrin
Howdah
ESO: Forgrin

Post by forgrin »

Ego post
https://www.twitch.tv/forgin14

"WTF WHERE ARE MY 10 FALCS" - AraGun_OP
Germany Rohbrot
Howdah
ECL Reigning Champs
ESO: Rohbrot

Post by Rohbrot »

deleted_user wrote:im new with otto but you played all mus great.

Gg
Agree, for someone who never played otto its hard to get in roll with botto. :devil:
Spain pain train is real
Spain Trevize70
Crossbow
ESO: Trevize70

Post by Trevize70 »

Thank you for share this. With Spain normally i do not have problems...but with other civs sometimes I am very stuck.

Normally i use a lot of brits and for me is very difficult yo counter that. Any ideas?
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Didn't watch the games yet, but I feel like Otto is a civ which does well vs many standard builds but which can struggle vs. specific counter strats and builds.

E.g. Spain vs otto is often considered otto favored, but I think if you "lame" the otto explorer with dogs to prevent more than one TP (he can build it with vills, but it hurts his eco a lot and takes long), it gets difficult for otto.

The otto revolt is similar. If you play standard-passive against it (make skirm/goon, stay in base), it can be hard to beat. But a strong counter build (e.g. turtle in base with musk+cannon OR timing push in age3 OR pressure aggressively with goons to prevent greedy revolt, then run around hunting huss) does really well vs it.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Astaroth wrote:Didn't watch the games yet, but I feel like Otto is a civ which does well vs many standard builds but which can struggle vs. specific counter strats and builds.

E.g. Spain vs otto is often considered otto favored, but I think if you "lame" the otto explorer with dogs to prevent more than one TP (he can build it with vills, but it hurts his eco a lot and takes long), it gets difficult for otto.

The otto revolt is similar. If you play standard-passive against it (make skirm/goon, stay in base), it can be hard to beat. But a strong counter build (e.g. turtle in base with musk+cannon OR timing push in age3 OR pressure aggressively with goons to prevent greedy revolt, then run around hunting huss) does really well vs it.
Otto has counter plays to dogs like building tp with a vill and take the others in early colonial with an early 5 jans
France [Armag] diarouga
Ninja
NWC LAN Gold
ESO: diarouga

Post by [Armag] diarouga »

Astaroth wrote:Didn't watch the games yet, but I feel like Otto is a civ which does well vs many standard builds but which can struggle vs. specific counter strats and builds.

Otto is a civ that can be countered by some civs. For instance China, Sioux, Spain, France, Germany and Iro to some extent do well against Otto. The big issue is that most of the other civs don't really have a solid way to beat Otto on stagecoach maps, and that's an issue considering how easy to play the civ is.
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

@Hazza54321 Yeah, not saying it doesn't, but I still believe it makes it harder for otto than having 3-5 tps early age2 with stage on the way asap.

For otto, it means having to spend 1-2 vills building (which takes long and costs a lot of VS) and/or waiting until rax is built and 5 jans are trained. For spain, it just means 1-2 treasures less maybe and 1-2 dogs trained.

This can delay the whole otto build by like 1-2 minutes.
Australia Hazza54321
Pro Player
Winter Champion 2020 x2Donator 01
ESO: PrinceofBabu

Post by Hazza54321 »

Training 1-2 dogs also delays spain abit aswell. No way it delays otto by 2mins, its 1v building a tp in transition and then the rest with hero with 5-10 jans covering
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Well, check when otto usually builds 3 tps and researches stagecoach. Compare two scenarios:

1. Otto builds TPs unhindered with explorer. This means probably building or starting to build 2-3 TPs (including starting TP), depending on MU, before reaching age2. In other words: otto will have finished 2 TPs before age2 and at least start a 3rd one.

2. Otto gets delayed, only being able to build 1 TP with explo at the start of the game. This means:

- spending 72 villager seconds building a 2nd TP with a vill, plus at least 30s walking time, meaning like 100 vs, meaning at least 50w gathered less for otto.
- this TP delayed by 50s (how much vills build slower than explo), resulting in loss of XP
- building another (3rd) TP with explorer only after: reaching age2 (prolly delays your starting time of building a TP by 20s or so at least), building a rax (like 20s), training 5 jans (like 35s), walking to a tp (depending on map, let's say 15s).

When going stagecoach, all of this can mean significant resource loss, because delaying your 3rd TP delays your potential 4th and 5th (depending on map). Not to mention the xp loss.

Obviously this math isn't exact and depends on the map, but clearly from the otto POV it is much better to

1. Have 3 TPs when hitting age2 or shortly after, with stagecoach and TP4 built soon after.
2. Than have 1-2 TP when hitting age2, spending villager walking time on it, and getting TP3 at the earliest like 1,5 minutes after hitting age2 when jans are out.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

You build your 3rd tp from 400w anyway, so it only forces you to build your 2nd TP with a vil, which isn't too bad as spain probably ages a vil later to fortress if they train a couple dogs.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Kaiserklein wrote:You build your 3rd tp from 400w anyway, so it only forces you to build your 2nd TP with a vil, which isn't too bad as spain probably ages a vil later to fortress if they train a couple dogs.
I guess, but even then 3rd TP is delayed a bit, no?

Compare
- build 3rd TP right after gathering 200w from age up with explorer who stands at TP socket
- to: (if Spain camps TP sockets with explo and dogs) gather 200w, build rax (~20s), train 5 jans (~34s), walk to TP socket (5-20s), start building TP

It does probably slow down your 3rd TP and thus also your 4th TP by at least a minute.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

I mean there's a lot of factors, like how many TPs are on the line, how much hp your explo has, how many dogs he trained... You may be able to kite a dog for example, if you have enough hp left. You may also be able to use your fb vils to help vs dogs (they have a multiplier vs pets at range, and a high melee attack). Depending on treasures, otto might be fast enough to start dropping the second TP before spain even really clicked up, in which case they can't train dogs yet. Spain can also be busy building their own TP later on. And as otto is up before spain, there's a window where their explo has +25% hp and attack, so it's less vulnerable. etc
On the other hand, otto might have already lost their explo to the dog when building the first TP anyway. Or they might not even try to take more than 1 or 2 TPs.

In short, trying to do maths on this is pointless because it depends too much on the age 1, on the map, and on what players are trying to do. So yeah sometimes it's worth training dogs, sometimes it's not, it's situational.
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
No Flag Astaroth
Howdah

Post by Astaroth »

Yeah, fair points. I just feel at least in some games, the dependence of otto on getting TPs ASAP in while aging or early age2 is a weakness that Spain can abuse.

And I feel players are increasingly doing it.
Argentina Jets
Dragoon
ESO: SsJetstream
Clan: FPL

Post by Jets »

off topic here, may I ask where are those games hosted/streamed? I only follow ESOCTV and lecastete on twitch. Thanks
France Aykin Haraka
Howdah
EWT
ESO: aykin

Post by Aykin Haraka »

xD
Austria Jerimuno
Advanced Player
ESO: Jerimuno
GameRanger ID: 9241516

Post by Jerimuno »

I did not stream these games. Besides the ones you listed you should probably check out twirch.tv/kaiserklein or iamturk etc. A list of people streaming can be seen on the left side of every esoc page @Jets
France Guigs
Tournament Admin
ESO: Guigs

Post by Guigs »

Jets wrote:off topic here, may I ask where are those games hosted/streamed? I only follow ESOCTV and lecastete on twitch. Thanks
That's my boy

Great Britain CuCkO0
Dragoon
ESO: CuCkO0

Post by CuCkO0 »

If somebody absolutely insists on using Otto, I just mirror it.
KINGofOsmane wrote:If Elo is down what are we even fighting for