switching to ESOC ELO?

Netherlands momuuu
Ninja
ESO: Jerom_

Re: switching to ESOC ELO?

Post by momuuu »

Garja wrote:Your logic is bad (surely mine is better) but I don't feel the urge to repeat it every post I make.
momuuu wrote:If you make EP QS the only ladder then nobody will even bother switching to ESOC ladders and simply continue using ELO ladders. For there'd be little reason to refer to EP ELO as there are way too few games. But this is garja using his poor logic to derail a thread. The point is that I think jp ELO needs a reset in the form of our own ladder that works basically in the same way but without the inflated ELO.

In case you didn't notice people are playing rated on the EP and the EP only ladder is working just fine. After some months it is actually producing a rather decent represantion of player's skill level, despite the fact that no real enforcing incentive has been put in place. Basically players are playing on the EP solely because they enjoy it more and because tourneys are held on that patch, so there they find the most useful practice games. And yet the next tourney could make use of the current ESOC ladder and give a rather trusty seed placement.
I've been asking for a larger employment of the ESOC ladder way before you and with more foresight than what you're doing right now.
At the moment, the main problem for a larger EP employment is coordination. Most of players just have a hard time finding opponents of the same level. Previously used mechanisms to bypass this issue were for example the EP user base thread or, more recently, the scheduling through the Discord channel. We need something more enforcing and automated to solve the coordination problem.
The next step is to make the EP ladder mandatory for ESOC related events. This way there is simply no choice between playing EP or playing RE. But in order to legitimate it statistically we need players to play on random conditions (quicksearch) and not biaised ones (hosted games).
Right now QS isn't ready to be competitive (we need civ fix first and then a proper map pool for qs).

Its amazing really. At first you claim you have much more knowledge about the state of affairs than I do, and then you think the qs map pool isn't proper. Are you at all aware that EP QS actually is using EP maps?

Anyways, your point is still stupid. For the readers that want to be convinced: If you diligently browse the forums you'll see garja claiming it is only a matter of time until anyone is playing EP. Garja, when you restrict stuff to EP ladder only, you'll just get a shitty system because people won't fully switch to EP. The truth is that it's just too hard to consistently get EP games going because theres a much larger playerbase that just won't bother to switch. I already mentioned it but you ignored it, but lets go again: 1st lts wont switch, ever. Captains won't really bother switching because half of their potential opponents (1st lts) won't switch, and then down the lane it gets better but thats also where we're looking at 250 players total.

It just doesnt work, its fine for tournaments and dedicated people but we won't dictate the community. Forcing EP quicksearch on everyone (quick search isn't everyone's favorite gametype anyways, because some people don't like randomly being countercived as fuck or playing a tp civ on no tp maps) is just silly. People will just perceive this is some bullshit dictator action by esoc and simply resent EP even more.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gamevideo113 wrote:RE QS is almost dead, how could EP QS stay alive? Besides, i think that the new discord features are really nice for those who want to play on the EP.

Because Garja is god and he's always right btw.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02
ESO: Garja

Post by Garja »

momuuu wrote:Its amazing really. At first you claim you have much more knowledge about the state of affairs than I do, and then you think the qs map pool isn't proper. Are you at all aware that EP QS actually is using EP maps?

Thanks very much, I perfectly know what map pools are which since I used to make them. and that's exactly why I knowmthat current qs pool isnt good for competitive play.

Anyways, your point is still stupid. For the readers that want to be convinced: If you diligently browse the forums you'll see garja claiming it is only a matter of time until anyone is playing EP. Garja, when you restrict stuff to EP ladder only, you'll just get a shitty system because people won't fully switch to EP. The truth is that it's just too hard to consistently get EP games going because theres a much larger playerbase that just won't bother to switch. I already mentioned it but you ignored it, but lets go again: 1st lts wont switch, ever. Captains won't really bother switching because half of their potential opponents (1st lts) won't switch, and then down the lane it gets better but thats also where we're looking at 250 players total.

It just doesnt work, its fine for tournaments and dedicated people but we won't dictate the community. Forcing EP quicksearch on everyone (quick search isn't everyone's favorite gametype anyways, because some people don't like randomly being countercived as fuck or playing a tp civ on no tp maps) is just silly. People will just perceive this is some bullshit dictator action by esoc and simply resent EP even more.

You're so busy going against me that you dont even realize all the nonsense you talk about.
1st lt and capts already play the EP, especially lately because there is the 2nd chance tourney going.
None is talking of full switching to EP (we all know the limitations of not being the official patch) but the simple fact that anything outside the EP and ESOC is close to irrelevant in comparison is already a testament of which patch is the main one.
Now, you must be short sighted or something but if you can't see how every hosted event just brings more activity into the game I can't help.
Everything that has been processed through ESOC became qualitatively superior, from maps, to civ balance, to qol improvements. The user experience is just overall superior. In 2018, not recognizing that any well informed player from 1lt qnd on would play consistently on the EP if they had a chance is just wrong.
Now, bounding the EP ladder to the EP qs doesn't mean you can't play outside of it. I would simply mean that those games dont concur to the EP ladder which has to be standardized to be legit.
And also let's stop pretending people dont like quicksearch when in fact the very reason why some players still play the RE pathc is that qs is active.
Image Image Image
India rsy
Jaeger
Donator 01

Post by rsy »

is there any thread where u two had an adult discussion with each other not trying to kill each other's egos? maybe u should just use the foe feature and stop talking to each other

In other news, garja vs jerom bo21 grudge match using ep qs?
Serbia sirmusket
Jaeger
ESO: ModernDayWarri0r

Post by sirmusket »

damn garja on fire :love: #ogm
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Lets consider the fact. Esoc elo lists players 507 to 772 as 1st lt and below on the ep ladder.
On the official patch ladder the first lts range from to 2115 3522 as pr25. Theres quite a factual difference in playerbase. You could dig deeper into the available stats surely, but I think this makes the point. Yes, in theory I do think most people would switch to EP if they were well informed and it was active. The truth is that most people arent well informed and ep is inactive, especially at lower prs. Any well informed 1st lt that wants to actually get games will just play on RE right now, save for a few people that have friends that also play EP, and then they only switch to EP to play some games with them.

You need a lot of played games for the ep elo to make sense, and you need people to play consistently on that patch. Right now some people play ep very little, for good reason, and thus have a much lower ep elo than a skill level. If youre going to force ep quicksearch elo only, while its actually hard to even get games going on normal ep, as the standard elo then youre just introducing a shitty system. Itll be so shitty, and so ridiculously hard to get games going that you've basically removed any functioning elo system. My entire suggestion is based on the fact that we have a functioning elo system but are using a malfunctioning one instead and your answer is that we should also remove the functioning elo system and introduce what is, quite frankly, going to be an even worse elo system than the jp one.

Even in an ideal scenario where all esoc people all switch to ep and only play ep qs games, its going to probably take over a year until the system stabilizes into any sort of meaningful equilibrium. If we start quicksearch and Im going to search in the +-4 range as a first lt, and other first lts do the same because theyll get matched with really good players and never face worse players in exchange (also regularly playing at +7 to 10 pr just isnt fun, so this is a very real scenario), then the elo is going to settle so slowly. You need influx of elo, which comes from people moving into the system at 1600 and then that elo slowly crawling its way to the top. With the small playerbase, and the big chance of some small form of isolation happening, the influx and spread of elo will be terribly slow.

At this point it should become apperant that at the start ep qs elo will offer very little incentive to actually play much on it, as it will be all over the place. Then one has two problems: the functioning jp elo on the site is replaced by something thats basically gibberish and the tournament seeding process will just be shitty for a while. Meanwhile Im suggesting a much more conservative push towards a system that I think is working better than the jp elo right now. And then a positive side effect could be that people will play slightly more ranked, but just in general it would mean that the elo in the sidebar makes more sense and represents whos hot at the moment (instead of people inactive that played 2 games and are benefitting from the inflation).

Your suggestion might in some world have a good side and in an ideal world with ideal people it could actually work ( though then there are still surely people opposing that quicksearch is the only ranked gamemode; it doesnt fit very well for aoe as it forces the meta down someones throat quite badly and actually this was contested heavily when interjection suggested it for aoe3DE) but in practise it just seems like an extremely inefficient plan.
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

rsy wrote:is there any thread where u two had an adult discussion with each other not trying to kill each other's egos? maybe u should just use the foe feature and stop talking to each other

In other news, garja vs jerom bo21 grudge match using ep qs?

I used to try, but quite frankly I find that garja just spews out nonsense to me and derails the thread with it. After hes done so, I get a good feeling when I (in my eyes) succesfully contest every bit of nonsense.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

Captains don't play on EP lol, I can count on one hand the number of players below pr 30 iv seen hosting on ep (actually I can't, cause it's 6) while iv played like 50 different people on re qs
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

momuuu wrote:
gamevideo113 wrote:RE QS is almost dead, how could EP QS stay alive? Besides, i think that the new discord features are really nice for those who want to play on the EP.

Because Garja is god and he's always right btw.
God is Garja and he is always right!
No Flag tedere12
Jaeger

Post by tedere12 »

lol most people playing on ep are high captain-major lvl what are you talking about
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

yea cause like 10 people play ep 1v1 lel
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

Lets be real how good are those dudes that you find in RE qs at the moment? And out of the good ones, eouldnt they play o EP if qs starts to populate?
Also Jerom
1) stop acting superior
2) the system you suggest iirc was implemented at the start and we moved on from that.
The qs idea was already planned long ago. We simply never tried it because we didnt have the numbers. But now you can see people get used to esoc because of regular events and contents.
Image Image Image
No Flag deleted_user0
Ninja

Post by deleted_user0 »

about as good as kingofosmane.
New Zealand zoom
Gendarme
ESO: Funnu

Post by zoom »

tedere12 wrote:lol most people playing on ep are high captain-major lvl what are you talking about
It depends on how you view it. In terms of most games, you're likely correct. In terms of most players, unlikely so.
Italy Garja
Retired Contributor
Donator 02

Post by Garja »

pecelot wrote:It was supposed to be so right when the ESOC Ladders were launched, but it wasn't taken too seriously due to the issue of them not being able to recognise whether the game was played on EP or not, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fixed, unfortunately. Another problem was that there was no division of the player-base based on the Japanese Elo ranking — it caused lower-rated players who won occasionally to be on top, since they gained a lot of points by facing opponents of similar skill level. I, for instance, sitting on 2100+ Elo points on Jp, could only gather 1800 and 1650 for RE and EP, respectively, in the new system.

Nonetheless, it's high time we pushed the envelope, as the initiative is undoubtedly worthwhile.

Patch recognition has been fixed, or at least in 99% of cases as you probably know better than me. And if you think about it, it is actually possible to make 2 distinct ladders for QS and hosted games if we want to.
The rating problem is easily solved within a couple months at most. Currently the EP ladder already gives a decent picture of current skill level of players.
Now, imagine we announce that the next tourney will seed through EP elo ladder and that you need to have at least 30 EP ladder games to be seeded. It has to be done through QS so you can't exactly choose your opponent (technically you still can but limitations). Under those conditions it is clear that players will start using QS since there is enough incentive.
Another way to promote EP activity is to make a season format event for capt and below players.
My point is that right now the EP ladder is far from being used to its real potential. Even just displaying the top10 on the front page instead of the JP ladder would already give a boost to the EP usage.
Image Image Image
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

Garja wrote:Lets be real how good are those dudes that you find in RE qs at the moment? And out of the good ones, eouldnt they play o EP if qs starts to populate?
Also Jerom
1) stop acting superior

the irony

2) the system you suggest iirc was implemented at the start and we moved on from that.
The qs idea was already planned long ago. We simply never tried it because we didnt have the numbers.

I do know the EP ladder thing was planned a long time ago, the quicksearch argument was never really given. The ladder was specifically made with this goal in mind, and thus they made a seperate EP ladder. If they had had the qs EP ladder in mind, they probably would have made a seperate EP QS ladder, wouldn't they? It wasn't tried because it wasn't planned and isn't tried because the code is not even in place for it. As to why the EP ladder wasn't tried: I think it was decided that the ladder needs quite a bit of time to reach a decent point of equilibrium. It's been a year (or something like that) and the ladder has only barely reached a stable point (and honestly, I'm not sure the EP ladder has). If you were to force a quicksearch ladder right now, you'd need at least a year for it to reach stability and be useful.

But now you can see people get used to esoc because of regular events and contents.

Actually I don't see any increase in EP activity. More specifically, the playerbase of people that play EP at all doesn't seem to have increased and is (as I mentioned a post up) still very small. I also think there have been more esoc events, that were also more regular, before the ladder was released than afterwards. As far as numbers go theres this figure: There are less people watching tournament streams now than before the ladder was released. In the light of that fact it's not possible to simply conclude that 'people are getting used to esoc'.

The rating problem is easily solved within a couple months at most. Currently the EP ladder already gives a decent picture of current skill level of players.
Now, imagine we announce that the next tourney will seed through EP elo ladder and that you need to have at least 30 EP ladder games to be seeded. It has to be done through QS so you can't exactly choose your opponent (technically you still can but limitations). Under those conditions it is clear that players will start using QS since there is enough incentive.
Another way to promote EP activity is to make a season format event for capt and below players.
My point is that right now the EP ladder is far from being used to its real potential. Even just displaying the top10 on the front page instead of the JP ladder would already give a boost to the EP usage.

I don't know if the rating problem is easily solved. The EP ladder is not very accurate right now actually. For example, MCJim (at best a low captain) has a higher ELO than Yurashic (lt col?) and Hwoarang (major-lt col?) or than me (while I think I lost one out of maybe 20 games we played together). Bwinner (beat hwoarang in 2nd chance) is below 1600 ELO for example, and stanley winston (lt col) is even further below 1600 elo. You're in top 5 elo, while I think even you yourself know that it's odd to place you way above Lordraphael, Mitoe and Kaiserklein. Kynesie is rocking a 1620 ELO or something. Look tom (major, at least) has 1400 ELO lol. Macaco_albino (surely a major) is rocking 1500. Masterchif is well below 1600 too. Marco (captain at least) is below pikilic (master sergeant) at the moment. At the moment, the entire ladder represents literally nothing, and we've had this ladder for a long time now. Going way over the top with EP QS will mean you'll have an absolutely meaningless ladder. The community is too small for EP QS to work, you need to specifically reach out to people to play an EP game. If you force EP QS to seed people right now, you'll simply be seeding people that managed to get lucky. For example, I could easily feed my pr on RE and then play EP QS (if this even sorta became a thing) at =-4 pr range from a 1st lt perspective or maybe even as a pr 23 or sth. Then, I'll only be facing 1st lts and captains, which means I'll be easily winning 90% of my games. The difference in elo won't be large though, and I'll just be taking elo from those at 1600 ELO (which probably is them being overrated at that point, since they'll be at the bottom of the community) which can easily result in me just taking the number one spot on the ladder when the first tournament happens. That'll just be nonsense, don't you think. It will get a lot of people angry when someone like h2O is in group stages while some random captain that played a bit against other captains/1st lts and did well will be seeded in the RO32. To be honest, I think the community playing EP is too small (its 16 pages comapred to 1600 pages of official ladder) for the system to really work properly. At best you can maybe sustain 1800 elo and at worst you'll get to 1300 or something, and then one game will just matter too much.

I think it seems pretty evident how switching to EP QS elo only right now is silly. If you want to do it, you at the very least need to make an EP QS ELO and let it settle for a bit, but for that you'll need people to play on it which isn't happening and won't happen. It could be a tiny incentive, but to be honest in practise there usually aren't even 3 people on EP. You host, then someone sees that game and hops on over. Sitting in quicksearch for long times (while keeping an eye on it so you dont go ingame while afk) seems like something nobody would do. It just won't work.
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Garja wrote:
pecelot wrote:It was supposed to be so right when the ESOC Ladders were launched, but it wasn't taken too seriously due to the issue of them not being able to recognise whether the game was played on EP or not, as far as I know. I'm pretty sure it hasn't been fixed, unfortunately. Another problem was that there was no division of the player-base based on the Japanese Elo ranking — it caused lower-rated players who won occasionally to be on top, since they gained a lot of points by facing opponents of similar skill level. I, for instance, sitting on 2100+ Elo points on Jp, could only gather 1800 and 1650 for RE and EP, respectively, in the new system.

Nonetheless, it's high time we pushed the envelope, as the initiative is undoubtedly worthwhile.

I think that will just mean we lose 50% of our tournament sign-ups.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

Why lose signups? Because of worse seeding? AFAIK only Somppu cares about seeding.
Pay more attention to detail.
Finland princeofkabul
Pro Player
NWC LAN Top 8EPL Reigning Champs
ESO: Princeofkabul

Post by princeofkabul »

gibson wrote:Captains don't play on EP lol, I can count on one hand the number of players below pr 30 iv seen hosting on ep (actually I can't, cause it's 6) while iv played like 50 different people on re qs

i have seen quite few actually. capt +
Chairman of Washed Up clan
Leader of the Shady Swedes
Team Manager of the Blockhouse Boomers
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

princeofkabul wrote:
gibson wrote:Captains don't play on EP lol, I can count on one hand the number of players below pr 30 iv seen hosting on ep (actually I can't, cause it's 6) while iv played like 50 different people on re qs

Theres a fair number of captains - majors playing, but also a larger number of them not playing EP. In the end, an ELO ladder is as much influenced by the master sergeants and even lance corporals as it is by the rest of the community. You just need a steady number of games, a steady number of corporals feeding ELO to master sergeants that feed ELO to 1st lts that feed ELO further up the stream towards the top players. There are less than 400 players that have played 1v1 games on EP since the release of the EP ladder, and thats not enough for an ELO system to work properly.
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
ESO: Gendarme

Post by Gendarme »

I can count to 6 on one hand.
Pay more attention to detail.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

princeofkabul wrote:

nerd
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Post by edeholland »

Gendarme wrote:Why lose signups? Because of worse seeding? AFAIK only Somppu cares about seeding.

Because most people can't be bothered to play 30 Quick Search games on EP in order to sign up.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

@momuuu you missed the pr 10 whos sitting at 1650 elo :flowers:
Netherlands momuuu
Ninja

Post by momuuu »

gibson wrote:@momuuu you missed the pr 10 whos sitting at 1650 elo :flowers: