Well?

Yesh
40
59%
Why not?
28
41%
 
Total votes: 68

User avatar
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Gendarme
Donator 04
Posts: 8487

05 Oct 2018, 00:21

Would really enjoy being able to do this to show my displeasure with certain posts.

:ear:
There's sand in my teeth
User avatar
No Flag Djigit
Lancer
Posts: 846

05 Oct 2018, 00:34

could b
Emperor of
Image
User avatar
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
Posts: 8134
ESO: SirCallen
Location: Midwest best west

05 Oct 2018, 01:22

could b
and the giving famishes the craving
sweet thames, run softly, til I end my song

The shepherd's staff's tantalus around my neck

let the water
touch the tongue
User avatar
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
Posts: 8134
ESO: SirCallen
Location: Midwest best west

05 Oct 2018, 01:26

Could b we enable self-likes. No one gets me, man BUTT me.
and the giving famishes the craving
sweet thames, run softly, til I end my song

The shepherd's staff's tantalus around my neck

let the water
touch the tongue
User avatar
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Gendarme
Donator 04
Posts: 8487

06 Oct 2018, 01:13

Weirdly not getting any "likes" on the first post of this thread. Maybe an issue with the site? Dev team should look into this. @EAGLEMUT (I would tag others here but I can't remember any other dev team members off the top of my head)
There's sand in my teeth
User avatar
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Gendarme
Donator 04
Posts: 8487

06 Oct 2018, 02:26

SirCallen wrote:Could b we enable self-likes. No one gets me, man BUTT me.


This is another great site suggestion. The previous thread about this got locked for some reason, but it should still be implemented :ear:
There's sand in my teeth
User avatar
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
Posts: 8134
ESO: SirCallen
Location: Midwest best west

06 Oct 2018, 02:53

Ears always listen, and listening is a great trait to have, especially in a role of group representation, like a moderator.
and the giving famishes the craving
sweet thames, run softly, til I end my song

The shepherd's staff's tantalus around my neck

let the water
touch the tongue
User avatar
Kiribati SirCallen
Gendarme
Posts: 8134
ESO: SirCallen
Location: Midwest best west

06 Oct 2018, 02:53

Some fascists might think that being a moderator isn't representing anyone, but they're fascists.
and the giving famishes the craving
sweet thames, run softly, til I end my song

The shepherd's staff's tantalus around my neck

let the water
touch the tongue
User avatar
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Gendarme
Donator 04
Posts: 8487

06 Oct 2018, 02:54

I agree: anybody who doesn't support me as a moderator is a fascist. I realize that certain people may take this as a compliment, but I don't want their endorsement anyway
There's sand in my teeth
User avatar
United States of America Amsel_
Lancer
Posts: 837
ESO: The_Amsel

06 Oct 2018, 04:19

I don't think it's a good idea. It would just make people only post safe opinions, or ones that can get them thumbs ups. (This kind of thing is why reddit is just hundreds of people expressing the same opinion with virtually no discussion.) I think it's much healthier for the community to have to respond and say why you disagree with a post instead of just pushing a button.

Another question is: Should the people who thumbs down a comment by anonymous?
No Flag deleted_user
Gendarme
Posts: 9997

06 Oct 2018, 07:00

i'm not for it, but i dont see why it would make people only post safe opinions. It's not like you will get executed if you have X amount of downvotes. If you only post for likes, and won't post out of fear of dislikes, perhaps there's something wrong with how you deal with feedback, rather than with the button that allows the expression of said feedback.

And if there is such a button, it most definitely shouldn't be anonymous.
User avatar
Germany yemshi
Jaeger
Posts: 2277
ESO: yemshi
Location: Germany

06 Oct 2018, 07:56

We discussed this once already and we came to the conclusion that it would just create toxicity without any net benefit. Write a post if you disagree, ignore the other one if he's dumb and be done with it.

Could you guess for how long someone like Metis would have stayed here if ESOC had dislikes? Not for too long I guess. You just had to agree once in a while and he was satisfied. Many likes express don't even express a "I like that" anymore. It is used for memeing a lot, so I'd say that ESOC is fine here.
User avatar
Poland pecelot
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
Posts: 10001
ESO: Pezet
Location: Poland

06 Oct 2018, 08:00

hit that button
Ars longa, vita brevis :unsure:
User avatar
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
Posts: 5120
ESO: Gendarme

06 Oct 2018, 08:32

The question is if Ear is trying to dig his own grave with this request.
Capitalization matters.https://pastebin.com/KEuaQCrR
Great Britain Hazza54321
Gendarme
Donator 01
Posts: 6279

06 Oct 2018, 10:49

still think we should get a notification for every like. although i do get pleasantly surprised when i look back on a thread and see 13 likes.
User avatar
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
Posts: 3556
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Location: [WPact]

06 Oct 2018, 11:05

Hazza54321 wrote:still think we should get a notification for every like. although i do get pleasantly surprised when i look back on a thread and see 13 likes.

so you want to receive 13 notifications for every post you make? :hmm:
Image
momuuu wrote:theres no way eaglemut is truly a top player
Great Britain Hazza54321
Gendarme
Donator 01
Posts: 6279

06 Oct 2018, 11:24

well just do it like instagram or whatever, just say for example brookg and 12 others liked your post
User avatar
Sweden Gendarme
Gendarme
Donator 03
Posts: 5120
ESO: Gendarme

06 Oct 2018, 11:28

So the answer is yes (but delete previous unread notifications).
Capitalization matters.https://pastebin.com/KEuaQCrR
User avatar
United States of America Amsel_
Lancer
Posts: 837
ESO: The_Amsel

06 Oct 2018, 15:03

umeu wrote:i'm not for it, but i dont see why it would make people only post safe opinions. It's not like you will get executed if you have X amount of downvotes. If you only post for likes, and won't post out of fear of dislikes, perhaps there's something wrong with how you deal with feedback, rather than with the button that allows the expression of said feedback.

And if there is such a button, it most definitely shouldn't be anonymous.

People won't bother saying something if it feels like they're just screaming into the wind, even if what they're saying is true, even if what they're saying needs to be said. The current system is good because if someone says something unpopular they can brush off their zero likes easily, yet good-popular posts are given encouragement through likes.

If someone says something serious and checks the next day to see 20 down votes that person is going to get the impression that no one wants to hear what he has to say. He'll have no desire to post on the topic any further. In a very subtle manner this will homogenize and sterilize discussion into people just circlejerking. Instead of actually discussing different ideas, people will try to one-up each other over their loyalty to ideas that all of them do or pretend to share. Humor will be reduced to unoffensive references to media or quirky randomness, because that is the safest thing to post. Trolls and troublemakers will be much more abrasive because it will be much easier for them to get negative responses, so this will also act as a form of encouragement.

By adding an approve/disapprove feature you are, in a sense, democratizing the community. This isn't good because it creates a false image of what the community is like and what it thinks. People will naturally try to conform to that artificially constructed image. Healthy communities are instead nurtured through a dialectical process where every member expresses their ideas. This allows a group to develop organically and naturally. This group will create its own unique identity, and be less dependent on humor, beliefs, etc imported from other sites.

I'm not that subject to social-pressure; I'm sure you're aware that I have little qualm saying controversial things. But that's different because I'm not half as invested in ESOC as the majority of users here. The aoe3 scene is a very small community, so it's easy to imagine the subconscious influence it would have on someone to see real-life friends and lots of people they respect say they disagree with something all at once.
No Flag deleted_user
Gendarme
Posts: 9997

06 Oct 2018, 15:30

Amsel_ wrote:
umeu wrote:i'm not for it, but i dont see why it would make people only post safe opinions. It's not like you will get executed if you have X amount of downvotes. If you only post for likes, and won't post out of fear of dislikes, perhaps there's something wrong with how you deal with feedback, rather than with the button that allows the expression of said feedback.

And if there is such a button, it most definitely shouldn't be anonymous.

People won't bother saying something if it feels like they're just screaming into the wind, even if what they're saying is true, even if what they're saying needs to be said. The current system is good because if someone says something unpopular they can brush off their zero likes easily, yet good-popular posts are given encouragement through likes.

If someone says something serious and checks the next day to see 20 down votes that person is going to get the impression that no one wants to hear what he has to say. He'll have no desire to post on the topic any further. In a very subtle manner this will homogenize and sterilize discussion into people just circlejerking. Instead of actually discussing different ideas, people will try to one-up each other over their loyalty to ideas that all of them do or pretend to share. Humor will be reduced to unoffensive references to media or quirky randomness, because that is the safest thing to post. Trolls and troublemakers will be much more abrasive because it will be much easier for them to get negative responses, so this will also act as a form of encouragement.

By adding an approve/disapprove feature you are, in a sense, democratizing the community. This isn't good because it creates a false image of what the community is like and what it thinks. People will naturally try to conform to that artificially constructed image. Healthy communities are instead nurtured through a dialectical process where every member expresses their ideas. This allows a group to develop organically and naturally. This group will create its own unique identity, and be less dependent on humor, beliefs, etc imported from other sites.

I'm not that subject to social-pressure; I'm sure you're aware that I have little qualm saying controversial things. But that's different because I'm not half as invested in ESOC as the majority of users here. The aoe3 scene is a very small community, so it's easy to imagine the subconscious influence it would have on someone to see real-life friends and lots of people they respect say they disagree with something all at once.


this is mostly assumption on your part, it might be the case what you say, but there's really no necessary cause or even any compelling reason for it to go as you say. The part about trolls is probably true. After that you go on your typical Amsel ramble and you state all kinds of theories without any kind of argument or facts to back it up. It's ideology, pure and simple. The like button hasn't really decreased post traffic afaik, it mostly facilitates people to lazy to post, and if people who post use it, they would've posted anyway without the dislike button. I don't see why it's any different with a dislike button.

As for the last part, if a bunch of dislikes on a forum hurt your ego so much, then perhaps you have to reevaluate your self-esteem issues rather than the like/dislike button.

Imo, it's not so much a dislike button that's problematic, it's rather most people's inability to cope with criticism or just negativity in general.
No Flag deleted_user
Gendarme
Posts: 9997

06 Oct 2018, 15:36

Hazza54321 wrote:still think we should get a notification for every like. although i do get pleasantly surprised when i look back on a thread and see 13 likes.


please no. taking out notifications for every like is the best thing they did so far!
User avatar
United States of America n0el
ESOC Business Team
Posts: 3733
ESO: n0eL

06 Oct 2018, 15:53

we should get it so i can dislike every post @gibson makes for being a moron
SirCallen wrote:Just drink the beer as it is, you hipsters.
User avatar
United States of America Amsel_
Lancer
Posts: 837
ESO: The_Amsel

06 Oct 2018, 16:01

umeu wrote:
Amsel_ wrote:
umeu wrote:i'm not for it, but i dont see why it would make people only post safe opinions. It's not like you will get executed if you have X amount of downvotes. If you only post for likes, and won't post out of fear of dislikes, perhaps there's something wrong with how you deal with feedback, rather than with the button that allows the expression of said feedback.

And if there is such a button, it most definitely shouldn't be anonymous.

People won't bother saying something if it feels like they're just screaming into the wind, even if what they're saying is true, even if what they're saying needs to be said. The current system is good because if someone says something unpopular they can brush off their zero likes easily, yet good-popular posts are given encouragement through likes.

If someone says something serious and checks the next day to see 20 down votes that person is going to get the impression that no one wants to hear what he has to say. He'll have no desire to post on the topic any further. In a very subtle manner this will homogenize and sterilize discussion into people just circlejerking. Instead of actually discussing different ideas, people will try to one-up each other over their loyalty to ideas that all of them do or pretend to share. Humor will be reduced to unoffensive references to media or quirky randomness, because that is the safest thing to post. Trolls and troublemakers will be much more abrasive because it will be much easier for them to get negative responses, so this will also act as a form of encouragement.

By adding an approve/disapprove feature you are, in a sense, democratizing the community. This isn't good because it creates a false image of what the community is like and what it thinks. People will naturally try to conform to that artificially constructed image. Healthy communities are instead nurtured through a dialectical process where every member expresses their ideas. This allows a group to develop organically and naturally. This group will create its own unique identity, and be less dependent on humor, beliefs, etc imported from other sites.

I'm not that subject to social-pressure; I'm sure you're aware that I have little qualm saying controversial things. But that's different because I'm not half as invested in ESOC as the majority of users here. The aoe3 scene is a very small community, so it's easy to imagine the subconscious influence it would have on someone to see real-life friends and lots of people they respect say they disagree with something all at once.


this is mostly assumption on your part, it might be the case what you say, but there's really no necessary cause or even any compelling reason for it to go as you say. The part about trolls is probably true. After that you go on your typical Amsel ramble and you state all kinds of theories without any kind of argument or facts to back it up. It's ideology, pure and simple. The like button hasn't really decreased post traffic afaik, it mostly facilitates people to lazy to post, and if people who post use it, they would've posted anyway without the dislike button. I don't see why it's any different with a dislike button.

As for the last part, if a bunch of dislikes on a forum hurt your ego so much, then perhaps you have to reevaluate your self-esteem issues rather than the like/dislike button.

Imo, it's not so much a dislike button that's problematic, it's rather most people's inability to cope with criticism or just negativity in general.

All of this would happen on a completely subconscious level. Unless you are consciously trying to avoid it, you will fall victim to this sort of social conditioning. It's not a question of ego. It's not a question of "putting on your big boy pants," "manning up," growing a pair," etc. The strongest, smartest, weakest, and dumbest men and women are all affected by this sort of Pavlovian positive/negative reinforcement everyday. I don't know why you deny social pressure every time we talk about it.

If there's anything you want me to clarify, I would be happy to do so. But most of the things I've said should be understandable through a basic positive/negative stimuli perspective on likes/dislikes.
No Flag deleted_user
Gendarme
Posts: 9997

06 Oct 2018, 16:23

Amsel_ wrote:
umeu wrote:
Show hidden quotes


this is mostly assumption on your part, it might be the case what you say, but there's really no necessary cause or even any compelling reason for it to go as you say. The part about trolls is probably true. After that you go on your typical Amsel ramble and you state all kinds of theories without any kind of argument or facts to back it up. It's ideology, pure and simple. The like button hasn't really decreased post traffic afaik, it mostly facilitates people to lazy to post, and if people who post use it, they would've posted anyway without the dislike button. I don't see why it's any different with a dislike button.

As for the last part, if a bunch of dislikes on a forum hurt your ego so much, then perhaps you have to reevaluate your self-esteem issues rather than the like/dislike button.

Imo, it's not so much a dislike button that's problematic, it's rather most people's inability to cope with criticism or just negativity in general.

All of this would happen on a completely subconscious level. Unless you are consciously trying to avoid it, you will fall victim to this sort of social conditioning. It's not a question of ego. It's not a question of "putting on your big boy pants," "manning up," growing a pair," etc. The strongest, smartest, weakest, and dumbest men and women are all affected by this sort of Pavlovian positive/negative reinforcement everyday. I don't know why you deny social pressure every time we talk about it.

If there's anything you want me to clarify, I would be happy to do so. But most of the things I've said should be understandable through a basic positive/negative stimuli perspective on likes/dislikes.


I'm not using those words. They are yours, and perhaps say something about your disposition, but don't put them on me. Social pressure exists, I don't deny it anywhere, but it's also something which can also largely be dealt with simple "mind tricks", or just generally being taught about certain philosophical theories and ideas. Your way of dealing with social pressure is just to build in more "protection", rather than teaching people how to deal with negativity, both when receiving it and expressing it. The fact that people only see likes and link such likes to their self-esteem is exactly what gets you people who are addicted to such forms of feedback and will adapt their posts in such a way as to get as many likes as possible, or to post primarily in order to receive likes.
User avatar
Netherlands Mr_Bramboy
ESOC Media Team
Donator 01
Posts: 5600
ESO: mr_bramboy
Location: Amsterdam

06 Oct 2018, 16:34

n0el wrote:we should get it so i can dislike every post @gibson makes for being a moron

This but unironically

Forum Info

Return to “Site Suggestions”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest