ESOC Rebranding

United States of America SoldieR
Pro Player
ESO: SoldieR

Re: ESOC Rebranding

Post by SoldieR »

These arguing about how to argue properly...arguments..are the dumbest thing in the forums existence
Nauru Dolan
Ninja

Post by Dolan »

We're lil kids in that department if we compare ourselves to scholasticists living in the 13th century.
Those guys could whip a mean argument into shape about whether there is shit in paradise.
Great Britain Interjection
Howdah
Donator 04
ESO: Interjection

Post by Interjection »

I haven't read any of this discussion but I'd like to put forward my thoughts on the topic. Sorry if this has been said already

We should change the website domain to aoe3-community.net (eso-community.net would redirect and work as usual)

The above is important even if we don't do anything else since with AOE3DE it's possible eso will be discontinued and then our whole website makes no sense. ESOC is a name and brand I have fallen in love with over the years but I think we could easily make a new logo that looks almost exactly the same except instead of ESOCommunity it says AOE3Community

EDIT: I understand ESOC roles off the tongue a bit better. So perhaps 'Age3Community' would be better. Or even AgeCommunity if we want to be inclusive. Go back to our routes... since the shutdown of the OG Age Community site was pretty much the birth of ESOC
Attachments
esoc.png
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

let us change it to something ppl might look for! eso is happy searching online ;) took me a while - only about one year :P
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
Czech Republic EAGLEMUT
ESOC Dev Team
Donator 05
ESO: EAGLEMUT
Clan: WPact

Post by EAGLEMUT »

Interjection wrote:I haven't read any of this discussion but I'd like to put forward my thoughts on the topic. Sorry if this has been said already

We should change the website domain to aoe3-community.net (eso-community.net would redirect and work as usual)

The above is important even if we don't do anything else since with AOE3DE it's possible eso will be discontinued and then our whole website makes no sense.

One could argue the opposite; if you just change the url and logo to no longer reference ESOC, the rest of the website makes no sense, since everything is branded that way for years now. ESOC Patch, ESOC Maps, ESOC Elo Ladder, ESOC Wiki, dozens of ESOC events, ESOCTV Twitch, ESOC Twitter, ESOCTV Youtube, ESOC Discord...
@91's earlier post here summarizes the issues well:
91 wrote:ESOC started very small and at that time I don't think anybody expected it to grow as much as it have.

I pushed for a different name, more related to aoe3, in the early days, but people were already worried about SEO and too much work to change the name. Now the work to do it is enormous! You need to have very good reasons for a name change now IMO.

- We would have to keep the old domain and make sure to redirect every single request from the tons of (otherwise dead) links all over the web.
- We have no idea how Google would react, we might drop down a lot in search results
- "ESOC" is EVERYWHERE by now. You would keep seeing this name for years after the change. There's no way you clean all references up even in a month. Plus users would still use the old name for a long time.
- All products and events naming would be inconsistent (EP, tournament names, event names) with new events. Making it pretty confusing for new people.
- All social media would have to be renamed as well, is it possible? will followers stay or disappear?
- What would the new name even be? How would we ever decide this properly when we can't even agree on patch changes?

I'm not saying it's impossible, but it would require someone to take responsibility for all this with a solid long-term plan, and also know what they're doing. Last thing we want is every link to ESOC from other websites to be dead links.

Dropping the ESOC name seems like an action that is very hard to justify at this point. Even assuming that ESO will be discontinued, is it really an issue to keep this well-known throwback name with a strong brand behind it? When you google search "aoe3 community" right now, ESOC is already straight up the first result, so what are we even looking to solve with renaming the website?
Norway spanky4ever
Gendarme
iwillspankyou

Post by spanky4ever »

just googled age of empires 3, and ESOC does not come up. Its just really very far from the name. Like a secret communety. Ppl drop in to the stream, from time to time. and they have never heard of esoc, and have no clue where they can get the OP maps "we" have. That is just a fact I guess @EAGLEMUT.
I have no agenda for saying this, but it took me a year to find out that this community exist, and I googled a lot to find some OP Sioux games ;) Then I was lucky to stumble upon it - eventually :flowers:
Hippocrits are the worst of animals. I love elifants.
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

wait how has "esucc" not been posted yet

esucc.
Tuvalu gibson
Ninja
ECL Reigning Champs

Post by gibson »

ecuck