Petition to add other reactions other than "like"

United States of America XeeleeFlower
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Petition to add other reactions other than "like"

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Sometimes I'll read a post and want to react to it, but a "thumbs up" just doesn't fit the context or isn't the reaction that I have. I would like a "hug" reaction and a "wtf" reaction in addition to the "thumbs up". For example, I appreciate this post for sharing and keeping us all up to date with one another, but I can't thumbs it up because I'm not happy about the content. This post makes me want to give a "hug" reaction. Does that make sense? I don't want a "thumbs down" reaction because I think that's too mean. A "wtf" reaction could cover many different things, including a disagreement of opinion.
Time is wise and our wounds seem to heal to the rhythm of aging,
But our past is a ghost fading out that at night it’s still haunting.

http://www.galactanet.com/oneoff/theegg_mod.html
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01
ESO: edeholland
GameRanger ID: 4053888
Clan: ESOC

Re: Petition to add other reactions other than "like"

Post by edeholland »

You could post something like "Thanks for keeping up all up to date with one another" or "sending you a virtual hug".
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

I prefer it when people like my agony/pain. Receiving sympathy is terrible.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

Post by fightinfrenchman »

One of them should be a sideways thumb indicating that you don't really have any feelings about a post
Dromedary Scone Mix is not Alone Mix
India Challenger_Marco
ESOC Media Team
ESO: challenger_marco

Post by Challenger_Marco »

i have suggested and told many times to add a dislike button ,makes no sense really ,you can react with only likes.
:nwc:
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

edeholland wrote:You could post something like "Thanks for keeping up all up to date with one another" or "sending you a virtual hug".
Imagine multiple pages of people saying they're sending a virtual hug.
Challenger_Marco wrote:i have suggested and told many times to add a dislike button ,makes no sense really ,you can react with only likes.
I don't like a dislike button. It fosters negativity. Wow, this is a bit ironic.

Of course an argument could be (and has been) made that a like button doesn't stimulate a conversation, but we have it now so let's improve upon it.

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Of course an argument could be (and has been) made that a like button doesn't stimulate a conversation, but we have it now so let's improve upon it.
We could still remove it.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

edeholland wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:Of course an argument could be (and has been) made that a like button doesn't stimulate a conversation, but we have it now so let's improve upon it.
We could still remove it.
I would very much dislike this
No Flag RefluxSemantic
Gendarme

Post by RefluxSemantic »

The like button is like the ultimate tool of passively discussing things. Like all the post of one guy in some discussion to show your support.
United States of America Papist
Retired Contributor
Donator 03
ESO: Papist

Post by Papist »

XeeleeFlower wrote: I don't like a dislike button. It fosters negativity. Wow, this is a bit ironic.
Preventing people from expressing their discontent with a dislike button is not going to prevent negativity. If anything, it makes folks more likely to write a nasty response instead of just clicking a button and moving on. Also, I don't see how letting people express a negative sentiment is a bad thing. When people like lejend post ridiculous, offensive things, I think it would be nice to be able to "dislike" his posts.

Reddit has had a dislike option since it was created and the culture of negativity you worry about has not emerged. If anything, it has made the platform better because it pressures people who post negative or low-quality content to either leave or do better.
The function of man is to live, not to exist.
Switzerland sebnan12
Jaeger
ESO: Mongobillione

Post by sebnan12 »

i wouldnt mind a hug button. i can need a hug now that every restaurant in switzerland has been shut down
"Why are you trying to lecture me on my own language, no wonder you people shit in the open street."- Riotcoke

''man he's slow rolling him more than a fish on a royal flush'' - Garja

NEED MORE XP
Retired Contributor
Xeelee Patron

Post by XeeleeFlower »

Papist wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote: I don't like a dislike button. It fosters negativity. Wow, this is a bit ironic.
Preventing people from expressing their discontent with a dislike button is not going to prevent negativity. If anything, it makes folks more likely to write a nasty response instead of just clicking a button and moving on. Also, I don't see how letting people express a negative sentiment is a bad thing. When people like lejend post ridiculous, offensive things, I think it would be nice to be able to "dislike" his posts.

Reddit has had a dislike option since it was created and the culture of negativity you worry about has not emerged. If anything, it has made the platform better because it pressures people who post negative or low-quality content to either leave or do better.
Reddit doesn't have a dislike button. It has a downvote button that is supposed to be for comments that don't add to a discussion. It turned into something that people utilize whenever they don't like/agree with something. It has created echo chambers with pockets of communities that simply pander to whatever ideology one holds. Dissenting opinions are simply given a downvote and the comment is eventually hidden. Regardless, this isn't reddit. It's a forum with a very (praise the gods!) different format.

When people actually take the time to write out a comment expressing why they dislike a post or the content of a post, then it forces them to 1) really think about their own opinion 2) flesh it out 3) express their reasoning best they can and 4) gives others clarity as to why said individual dislikes/disagrees with something.

In addition, if an individual receives a lot of downvotes, said individual may not feel welcome anymore and/or bullied. For example, say I spend a lot of time writing posts (which I coincidentally do) and people continually downvote me simply because they dislike me or my opinions, this would make me feel bad. I wouldn't be able to "do better" as I'm already putting forth a ton of effort. Maybe I just pissed off a group of people based upon something I said at sometime. Maybe some people just enjoy trolling and/or picking on people. Whatever the reason for the downvote, if there's no written justification for it, it lends itself to bad, negative feelings.
Story time
I didn't say that expressing negative sentiment is a bad thing. If you disagree with something that someone says, feel free to say so. People here do it all the time. I appreciate the "bad" conversations just as much as the "good". Perhaps I appreciate the "bad" even better as it strengthens my own opinion, modifies it in some way, or at the very least see a different perspective. If people were left with just the option to "thumbs down" something, that would be an easy way out for someone to not adequately express their dissent. Where's the learning and growth in that?

Edit: Xeeleeflower hugs @sebnan12

Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

XeeleeFlower wrote:Imagine multiple pages of people saying they're sending a virtual hug.
In a freetalk friday / cafe kind of thread, that would be pretty great to read through.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

edeholland wrote:
XeeleeFlower wrote:Imagine multiple pages of people saying they're sending a virtual hug.
In a freetalk friday / cafe kind of thread, that would be pretty great to read through.
Remember when you guys briefly changed the name of Off topic to the "water cooler?"
No Flag deleted_user
Ninja

Post by deleted_user »

Wasn't there also "Town Center?"
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

What a strange time
Netherlands edeholland
ESOC Community Team
Donator 01

Post by edeholland »

fightinfrenchman wrote:
edeholland wrote:
Remember when you guys briefly changed the name of Off topic to the "water cooler?"
Yeah I'm not sure what went wrong there. I'm happy it's just called off-topic now.
France Kaiserklein
Pro Player
GameRanger ID: 5529322

Post by Kaiserklein »

Challenger_Marco wrote:i have suggested and told many times to add a dislike button ,makes no sense really ,you can react with only likes.
Mate trust me, you don't want a dislike feature to be implemented, you'll get drilled
LoOk_tOm wrote:I have something in particular against Kaisar (GERMANY NOOB mercenary LAMME FOREVER) And the other people (noobs) like suck kaiser ... just this ..
France iNcog
Ninja

Post by iNcog »

The biggest irony of this thread is that gs, the counterpart of OP, was originally against the like feature in itself on the forums.

The world is a vast, vast place.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/incog_aoe
Garja wrote:
20 Mar 2020, 21:46
I just hope DE is not going to implement all of the EP changes. Right now it is a big clusterfuck.
No Flag fightinfrenchman
Ninja
Donator 04

There should be a "bee" reaction that you use if a post frightened you by making you think about bees
Netherlands Goodspeed
Retired Contributor

Post by Goodspeed »

iNcog wrote:The biggest irony of this thread is that gs, the counterpart of OP, was originally against the like feature in itself on the forums.
I still am
Italy gamevideo113
Howdah
ESO: gamevideo113

Post by gamevideo113 »

We need a heart reaction, which counts as a super-like
[Some people aspire to be pr30+, some people aspire to have fun, and some people aspire to play 3v3 Deccan.] - vividlyplain - 2019 Who (nationality) rape ?
stupid logic. noob players can say op?
toxic, Insult, Racism ?